Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tunnel Identification Experts Needed

Back in 1976, I bought this used tunnel through a former friend and ex racer, Kenny Olsen. It belonged to some friend of his, whom I never met. Anyway, I was told when I bought it that it was an Al Martin tunnel, but others have said that it was a Zonker Craft. Here I am 30 years later and I am curious as to what it really was. I ran it in UJ with a T-1 that I bought from another friend of Kenny's out of Miami. I think that guys name was Jan Whitten (sp?). As with anything that I bought from a "friend" of Kenny's, it would cost me considerably more than the original purchase price. This engine was no exception. I'll save that story for another day. I can tell you that this boat loved to go vertical. I cannot remember how many times I stood it straight up and somehow it always managed to come back down, unscathed. It did it enough that I finally sold it while I was still able. Anyway, I am sure that some of you out there probably recognize this boat and maybe even raced against it. I would enjoy knowing what it really was. These pictures were taken at the Caribbean Club race in Key Largo, Fl. back in 1977. Those were the days....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01971.JPG   DSC01972.JPG  
    Last edited by Bob V; 10-05-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Al Martin S-J boat when I lived in Miami about 25 years ago and that doesn't look like what mine did. But it's been a long tima and a lot of partying ago. Maybe Sam will know what it is.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V
    I was told when I bought it that it was an Al Martin tunnel, but others have said that it was a Zonker Craft.
    I think they were all correct.......Al Martin built the Zonkercraft and that sure looks like one of them. They were designed after the Milesmaster and built in Florida. Gary Peacock and Chick Gagen were also involved with Martin in the building of these boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up some pictures of the one I had. It had the most hideous purple & orange cowl paint you've ever seen. Sure was fast though.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V
    Anyway, I was told when I bought it that it was an Al Martin tunnel, but others have said that it was a Zonker Craft. ...
    I believe you have an Al Martin Zonker.........

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, I remember the boat, I think Gary Kapit had a fit over the numbers because his "assigned" numbers were 999 on his JP. That year you ran against Johnny Beach who had a MOD U, didn't you step up?

For those who didn't know Kenny Olsen he was a real character, owned a limo service, used to tow his boat to Miami with a stretch limo.
    Jan Whitten was another Miami legend, died in a small plane crash in the Bahamas. He had a boat company, I forget the name and was designing some EP boats to build up racing in S. Fla.

The Caribbean Club was nothing more than an old coral rock bar in Key Largo. The bar was the setting for the Bogart movie Key Largo.
    It was an outlaw race that almost all of us from Miami ran at least once. I ran there in a JP for a number of years. 1st time I placed in a race was there.
    At the end the bikers took over the bar which wasn't too bad except it was no longer G rated. Oral sex in the open parking area was the final straw!

Oh the good ole days!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milesmaster and Zonkercraft

Here is a shot of Freddy Miles in his Milesmaster at Havasu and one of Chick Gagen in his Zonkercraft in Miami.....I'm pretty sure that this is the Miles that was used to start the Zonker production.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing on the Edge 034.jpg   PB68&69 079.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 10-06-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for all the great information..

Willabee...Thanks for the pictures and the background info. You were correct in that they all were correct. It was an Al Martin and it was a Zonkercraft. I am 53 and still learning.

Jeff G....You have an impeccable memory. I did step up to make a class with Johnny and Kenny who both were Mod U. How do you remember that??? You also have a vivid memory of the Caribbean Club. Yes, Kenny Olsen or "K.O." as he liked to be called back then, was a real class act. I hung with him and his friend Jack Withrow for a few years before making the transition into inboards. I could tell you stories about Kenny that still have me asking myself today...how did he do that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob I ran JP from the mid 70's to the early 80's when I switched to tunnels. At the same time I did some driving for Bob Jones in his 145 hydro mostly set up and testing, also Eddie Headen in his 280. I also was the riding mechanic with Billy Tetro in the Flying High for a year.
    Kenny was a good but not great driver. Then he spent a month with Billy Seebold setting you a new boat or two and learning how to really drive. When he returned he was almost unbeatable.
    Billy Joule cam on the scene with Kenny about the same time with a Mod 50.
    Withrow always drove for someone else. His last race in a Mod 50 he set a record at the Stadium, then started driving for James Chambers until he retired.
    Between Kenny, Jack and Billy they had the corner on large breasted women from the Tampa/St. Pete area
    But they all were actually great guys. One day I'll tell the story of staying with Kenny for a weekend, or maybe not....
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

APBA Formula V US-1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G
    One day I'll tell the story of staying with Kenny for a weekend, or maybe not....

OK Jeff...Inquiring minds want to know about your weekend. Somehow I think that the name B.C. (Bonnie Clayton) will come up in the conversation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Martin

Wow - what memories this thread brings back! I bought my Al Martin from Joe Colt after building his T1 and racing with him a season, while I was working for Doug Janisch. Circa 1975. Al said this model was a Molinari copy. It was a beautifully built hull, fast but unforgiving in a headwind. That WAS a partying group - Ken, Jack, Joe Colt, Charlie, Tommy Chandler...

Charlie O'Neil had a similar hull with a T3. When I raced Jan Whiddon in UJ, he had a Twistercraft. Very light and fast in calm water. He tried to cut me off at Miami Marine Stadium and I ran over him - sinking the Twistercraft. The Al Martin survived to race again, and I sold it to Peter Young in the late '70s.

Spent many a weekend at the Caribbean Club. racng, watching & even ski racing! Always entertaining to watch a "new" skier behind a big inboard GN boat of Digger or Bob Donahue getting his arms pulled out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Al Martin.jpg   al_martin1.jpg   charlie_oNeil.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That picture with no shirt, that's Bill Rowell who worked at Boat Center and was the referee for all the races, in the background. He definitely liked his favorites and took no gruff. For some reason he didn't like new drivers though.

Charlie O-Neil went on later to own some GN's and Tommy Chandler drove for him.

APBA Formula V US-1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Bill Rowell own the Al Martin/ Zonker that Chic Gagen often drove in UI?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Boy does this bring back memories...

I was involved in running South Florida Outboard Club (OPC in Miami) for 1976, 77, maybe 78, and ran a DS, then DP, then EP. The day that amazed me was the one where Olsen showed up with both his incredibly good looking wife and his supposedly 14 year old girlfriend wearing mix and match bikini bottoms and tops.--In the back of the limo. Must have been a great ride over!

During my times, Kenny always showed up with two boats--his and one Jack Withrow drove. He had to push to get someone to step up to make a class with three boats.

Once, up at Sanford, running 4-15 minute heats, all the tunnels were running together and, on the last race of the day, Kenny didn't realize how much faster he was than my kneel down DS, and he turned across me. My little hull survived, he had to run back to the dock with part of his sponson missing. To make matters worse, whoever backed the trailer down locked the keys in the car. I can remember seeing Kenny knocking out the back window of a Cadillac with a hammer as I was coming into the pits.

Jan Whitten--I had forgotten he was killed. His boat company was Powercraft--v-bottoms with the little wedge on each side to accomodate a wrap-around windshield.

Jeff G--good to hear from you. I hadn't realized that you stayed in racing for so long. I'm jealous.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat, the girlfriend was Heidi, yeah no jokes guys. After Bonnie she became his steady for a while. She was over 18 though! One of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen and a natural blond. NO DON'T ASK.

Pat after we folded the SFOC we joined in with the FIRC, Florida Inboard Racing Club, and ran with them until 1987. I ran mostly SE then with a few inboard races thrown in. In 1988 I moved to South Carolina and Homer Greene called me to referee the outboard races here. The NOA had just folded and all the races and drivers were going over to APBA. That is a whole nother story.
    Sam Haraway asked me to drive his modified JP in some local races which I did for a couple years and then we started the Formula V class and resurrected V bottom racing. We ran it APBA local class for two years and then became a National class under APBA. Ran that as a National class from 1996 to 2004. Which was the last year for any racing in SC or Ga. Now the class is no more, although I think they did run one or two races in MN. Si I guess about 29 years, should be long enough for anybody. Although capsules did lengthen my career a number of years. Oh my aching back!

APBA Formula V US-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast