User Tag List

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny

That was amazing, and scary to watch..When Dave got hurt, he was sliced open by the prop like the back of a manatee..We really didn't know if he would make it..The Gentex jacket held his guts in..I was his parts and service manager, so I figured I would go in early and open up, just like Dave did.. Being only 19, I wanted him to be proud of me if he made it..I got there about 7 AM, opened up, went in Daves office to turn out the outside lights, and he's sitting at his desk, saying "What are you doing here so early?" About scared the stuff out of me..I didn't see him when I walked in..Both Dave and Carl were iron men..

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Cat

[quote=Powercat;1442098]Butch:
    That gives me chills just thinking about climbing in the boat between 2 running
    outboards.. still amazes me...
    Danny Leger

Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Bobby,

Here are the pictures you asked about. That is the same boat he pulled Dave Craig in when Dave's Power Cat ran over him and sliced open his stomach..He just grabbed Dave and pulled him up the slope in the back..

Butch
    Danny,
    love the web site....knew a lot of the faces in pictures. stole some pictures to my pictures. Didn't do a good job of holding on to all the albums from the days only the memories...The Cabin Power Cat that was in the picture at the Lake.. There is a great story about if Odell or Johnny B. doesn't tell it I'll try. Look close and you will see the first extra long shaft mercs.
    you've got a great site i'm sure I'll have to visit it often.

Bobby Ridgell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby R

Check your email

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

I wil use that info soon...I will e-mail you my info please feel free to pass it on.. twice to the girls.....

Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help,
    Callling on all the ole marthoners out there... Lee Richter 92 years young - ran all the big marthons in the mid west and maybe a few in the east. The old ship channel derby and other local races (Texas that is). He came to the Lake on a couple of ocasions and knew Odell, Johnny, Roy, Bill and a lot of the others. His mine is still sharp and remembers everything... I know he would love to hear from you.
    His daughters e-mail address is "Ken & Leah Griffin" <leah@tigrett.com> Little Joe you're on - do a fill in of some of his history and shake the bushes.

Thanks he is a good friend of mine,
    Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby,

I've been searching for you for about 3 years now..Saw your post on the Raveau site..Wanted to get you to the Old Timers Reunion..Glad to see you found your way here..I'm sure you have a lot of great stories..Old Seeroy seems to be running out..

Butch Stokes
    Hey Butch - You are correcto-mundo...I have run out...At least my memory has. I received a call the other day from one of the old Sarasota guys (Dave Martin). He seemed to have great recall of names and events. Perhaps I will pick his brain some. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Bobby can tell us about brother Roy's lower unit farm he told me about..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help,
    '62-65 Six hour marthon - Pelcian Harbor - Brooke Russel called need a co-driver for his boat. A small cat (can't remember the brand and you sure couldn't recognize it.) He had made smaller and had pickel forked it. Met him and his driver (this is where i need help) tested the cat with me riding on the round gas tank to simulate fuel load. had a pair of 700 or 800. I drove the first leg and stuffed it on the calm side of the course by the condos. It was really rollin down the ICW. George was behind me and all I can remember (when I came to the surface) was looking thur the tunnel of George's cat. Thank god he was a good cat man. he cocked the cat away from me putting it in a slide right for me. at the last minute pulled it back toward me sending the motors just pass me.
    Anyway who was it that was standing on the beach with helmet in hand waiting for his turn. There's more to this story.
    Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    In 12 years of OPC racing I blew over several times in all kinds of boats,stuffed once, hooked and rolled a few times, had collisions with competitors twice and also had one total steering failure. Out of all those incidents I was fortunate to suffer no serious injuries. I did however manage to swap ends making a one pin turn at Belle Glade without going over or getting spit out. I did finish but my back still acts up from that one every once in a while.
    Was Leroy's toy there???? I went to one Belle Glade race with Leroy (Neal Chambers). Did the engine work on that one too. That was around 70-71????
    bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower unit frm

Maybe Bobby can tell us about brother Roy's lower unit farm he told me about..
    You've got one on me - never heard of it but I'm sure there are a few other things he never told me about.
    i was thinking --We have some of the younger racers and hot boaters reading this thread. ( I almost sound like I know what I'm doing). Do they know all the things they take for granite weren't there for us. One that comes to mind is the kill switch. The first one i remember was the fuse block with a piece of brass rod that had a hole with line thru it. It was great if you exited the boat with out the line getting hung up.. If you weren't careful over time it would corride and lose connection - has drove many a sane boat driver to drink trying to find that problem...( some times took less than that)
    What do you remember????????????
    Here's to you
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the pickle fork Jav Cat you were talking about. The name of the boat was "Escape Velocity" and the motors were 700s with speedmasters I think. The motors came from Phil Young if I remember right. Usually Brooke's son Ronnie drove most of his boats but in this case your co-driver was most likely Richie Baise.
    Yes Neal Chambers was at Belle Glade that year probably in his Magnum Missle with the BP engine.
    I co-drove with thr Russels in the 16 Alim in the last 9 hour at the Stadium after doing trailer driving duty and pit crewing for Brooke at several other races. It was during my first stint driving that Hank Bowman had his accident and was killed. The race was stoped and rerun entirely the next day. I drove 1 stint the second day and spent the last 7 hours of the race as the on board engine starter and riding mechanic.
    Last edited by 2us70; 08-26-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jav Cat

Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I remember the pickle fork Jav Cat you were talking about. The name of the boat was "Escape Velocity" and the motors were 700s with speedmasters I think. The motors came from Phil Young if I remember right. Usually Brooke's son Ronnie drove most of his boats but in this case your co-driver was most likely Richie Baise.
    Yes Neal Chambers was at Belle Glade that year probably in his Magnum Missle with the BP engine.
    I co-drove with thr Russels in the 16 Alim in the last 9 hour at the Stadium after doing trailer driving duty and pit crewing for Brooke at several other races. It was during my first stint driving that Hank Bowman had his accident and was killed. The race was stoped and rerun entirely the next day. I drove 1 stint the second day and spent the last 7 hours of the race as the on board engine starter and riding mechanic.
    Thanks,
    My memory isn't too good. I believe that was my only contact with Richie..
    i had the pleasure of Hanks company on the Around Long Island race about 64. 30' Aluim with no. 3 drives. The start was a handy cap system. We picked up some trash on one engine in front of coney island and dropped to third place. I believe George Thompson won. Hank was a writer for motor Boating and Power Boat. He was also a PT boat Capt. in WW2 and a big asset on the boat.
    i also helped Brooke with the 16' before they made the Miami to New York run. The most amazing thing about the trip is that they made it on one prop.
    i helped Neal with Leroy's Toy the Ron Jones tunnel. He ran that at Belle glade once. That was after i returned from Europe.
    thanks 2us70 - there are sooo many memories buried that i not sure I'll ever get them all to surface and the one's that do may not be correct.
    I made a mistake on the report on the Around Miami Beach Race. Will correct it later - did not win the class broke down - pulled across finish on plane by Andy Jackson of 1313 Neptune Marine Fame - but thats another story.

Thanks,
    bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JavCat

That JavCat got around..I think it came from Rodney Thompson, who was nailing the deck on in the parking lot before one of the first Six Hour Races in Kissimee..Jim Sewares had it for a while, he gave it to me and Richie Baiz, and we put a pair of 58H motors we made with the longer shaft quickys..It was a blast to drive like that, but was still kind of flighty..at least with the 4 cyl motors you could stay WOT and it wouldn't blow over. We named it Miss Carriage..still had a raw mahogny plywood front deck..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower unit farm

Roy used to run the school at Sarasota, and built a lot of engines and lower units..When he got a blown lower that was junk, he started sticking them in the ground, and made sort of a hedge..mostly sportmasters and speedmasters..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around Nassau Race '62

'62 Miami-Nassau Roy and I were in a cut down Scotty Craft with twin MerCurisers. Roy had rigged it without me so there was nothing, I mean nothing for me to hold on to. Not a problem until we got to the Tongue of the Ocean, until then I had been happy seated on the transom of the boat with my rear hanging over to help get the bow up. (same position in the '61 race with Thompson) The last leg into Nassau was really rough. Not having trim in those days we used ballast, usually water but in this case it was lit'brother. "Go forward" was the command. Trying to go forward was one h-- of a challenge, everytime the boat would go down I would be left in mid-air, that's not really a problem, it was when the boat came back up to meet me, that was the problem. By the time we arrived in Nassau harbor I had little skin left on my elbows (short sleeve shirt) But big brother got us across the line to win the class. Now you're wondering why this is being labled around Nassau Race. Well, the next day the promoter had put together an around the island race. The weather that had blown in the day before was still blowing the next day. Roy and I both passed after going to the starting line and finding three footer's in the bay in front of Fort Montague(sp).
    Now I'm going to need help...George Grilly(sp) and Jim Sewares ( I think) were riding together, George driving and it was really rough on the south side. Jim bouncing around the boat broke an arm and was asking George to slow down and let him jump over. The rules said if you start with two people you must finish with two. The story goes that one time when Jim got close that George put his foot on him and they made the finish line that way with Jim still under George's foot.
    That's the way I remember it....Help...I know it can be written better than this.....How did it really happen???

Bobby

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast