User Tag List

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean the red Vette you were driving the last time I saw you wasn't yours?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70
    Does that mean the red Vette you were driving the last time I saw you wasn't yours?
    Holly Cow! you are going way back.
    Actually that was George's, but I bought it from him.
    I drove it a lot before I purchased it though.
    George would buy a new vette almost every year. He had a 61 that a college fraternity buddy of mine got, His 63 Fuelie was bought by Don Pierson a fellow outboard mechanic with Butch at Skyline Marine and I got the red 64 Fuelie when George bought the very first 65 -396 that came into Florida.
    When he got the 64 he raced Don with his old 63 and Don beat him. When he got his 65 396 I raced him with the 64 and beat him again. He was pissed because everytime he got a new Vette his old one out ran him.
    Of course Don was a great Mechanic and got the 63 running real good .
    I had also gotten the 64 running really good when we met up on the Palmetto Expressway. I slowed to about 20 MPH and double clutching got back to first gear. George was in second when I nailed it. Of course I got the jump because of the gear and I was the one that started. I got him by a half car length up to a buck 20. He never realized I had snookered him!
    I sold that Vette, but in the 70's bought another one just like it and completely rebuilt it. I still have the copy and a 65, a 66 427 RPO a 94 and a 2003 Z06. My oldest son has a 2006 Z06. I guess you can say I still have a thing for Vettes
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 60's racing scene Del and Mona Daily were already icons.
    The only name still racing that I know of, is their son Duff.
    I used to see him when he was under 10 years old when I would visit Del in Miami in the early 60's. My wife was a teenager and living in the neighborhood, used to baby sit Duff.
    Last week I saw this guy in the local NAPA store wearing a boat race Tee shirt. I asked his name and sure as hell it was Duff!
    I told him about this forum and even talked to him about some composite work to help him further streamline a canopy.
    This forum has re-peeked my interest in fast boats.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that might have been ricky lindheimer(sp?) a guy that lived down the canal from me and brooke russell when i was growing up. he found either some tricks or a rule loophole about the old DR 800's. ran one one a mccall tunnel in a stock class with a sportsman lower unit in a stock class. maybe someone else with either a better memory or more knowledge of the situation can help here. best i can recall, he wanted factory help and was repeatedly turned down. figured a way to spank the factory teams and win a nat'l. championship while refusing the sudden offer of factory help when they realized they couldn't beat him. t65ook sponsorship the following year, i think. believe he eventually became a factory rep of some sort. does anyone else remember this?

AIRWALK, the only to fly!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricky's DR800 was legal for SH class with the Speedmaster unit because it had a working reverse capability. The DR motors had 3 lower unit options. The standard unit was the Fleetmaster the others were the smaller Sportmaster (about the size of a 50 hp unit) and the Speedmaster. When I first met Ricky he was running a Glastron Jetflight with a 650 Merc in F class. Ronnie Russel and I went to High School together and Ronnie introduced me to OPC racing. I crewed and co-drove with the Russels when I was starting out.
    Ricky did work for Mercury for a while and that was what he was doing the last time I saw him. Unfortunatly Ricky is no longer with us. He died of some sort of a drug overdose several years ago.
    Last edited by 2us70; 12-22-2006 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:. Ronnie Russel and I went to High School together and Ronnie introduced me to OPC racing. I crewed and co-drove with the Russels when I was starting out.

Were you with Ronnie when he got drunk with his highschool buddies and his dad, Brooke found him throwing up on the front porch?
    They took him to the hospital where he spent a couple of days, after being diagonosed with intestinal flu. I visited him and he confessed that he was only drunk. I wonder to this day if Brooke ever found out!
    Ronnie and my brother Bob ,crashed together in the 6 hour held around 61 at the Miami Outboard. Bob was trapped between the two sinking boats. Ronnie fought to pull Bob loose just before the two boats sunk. Bob suffered a broken collar bone, but that was better than drowning.
    Last edited by velox; 12-29-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronnie's "flu" was actually acute alcohol poisioning and he nearly died from that incident. I was not involved in that one but it did not deter him from drinking after that and I was with him several other times when he got pretty wasted. After High School Ronnie and his buddy Marty Grozan went in the Navy and I went in the Army. The Navy was a 4 year hitch while the my Army Reserve time was about 10 months. Ronnie wound working as a Dental assistant at a Navy base in Adac Alaska out in the Alutian islands. When he got out we lost touch and he never resumed racing. Last I heard he was still working in the dental field somewhere in central Fla. Brooke and his wife moved to the Orlando area and passed away several years ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i moved to miami in 1957 with my parents-i was 5. we lived 2 doors down from ronnie, further inland on the same canal. we played neighbor hood ball, flew control line airplanes and 'free flight' model boats. he was about 7 opr 8 years older than me, so when found girls, cars and drinking, i was history. i do remember a d or e outboard-alumin skin, magnesium or alloy frames, purple metalflake i think? anyone else have a picture of this boat? i know he ran the goldcoast with it, probably 64ish; before the marine stadium. definitely a few years before the miami to ny allison. my sister and i got to ski behind that boat. when brooke first got the boat he wanted to try different props, but didn't have larger fuel tanks and equipment installede yet. he used us to simulate a load for prop testing! when i graduated high school in 69, ronnie was out of the navy, and living in his parents house again. ronnie was doing the 'hippie thing' and so was i. had a lot of fun with him for another 3 or 4 years. no real clear memories, if you get my drift. it was pretty good, ronnie and another friend, who lived about 4 doors the other side of me and was a teacher, partied together. i would tell my parents i was going to ronnie's, and don would be there, and it was alright-they were both 'good boys'. after ronnie's parents died, he sold the house and moved off of 79th street just west of biscayne blvd. we shared an apartment for about a year, about 71 or 72. i moved to tallahassee after that and the last i heard, he was living on a houseboat out from pelican harbor. haven't heard anything since 73? somebody over on lake x talked about a turbo boat in the 9 hr. loosig boost a being passed by a whaler with a 50. probably ted swing, he had a 13' whalr he ran with a mccollough, a scott and finally a merc 50. he did run the 9 hr. at the marine stadium once with that combo. he had a really cute bolnde sister, suzy, and handmade some LITTLE potato chip d's or e's he called swinger boats. gary wood, who i went to grade and jr hi with and is gar woods grandson, ran a light blue one for a little while. ted's own version was bright yellow and wood . he built these in his garage on 103 st in miami shores, down near the bay. how about some pictures of mike gordon. iknow he ran inboard sk's, but without him and nuta in the roman candle hydro pushing us..... . that's about all i can clearly remember from those days. i have an older sister who is 5years older than me, vou might remember her better! e-mail at execchefal@juno for names & places

AIRWALK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, SMALL WORLD... my grandparents lived next to and I grew up in the house next to the Swing's on 103 canal, and watched Ted build every one of those boats.... my Gparents built that house in 1958 and sold it in the late 80's... Ted was quite a talented character, I thought he still lived on the 104 canal a couple house's west of where the Lindheimer's lived? his dad also had a 17 Champ?? dark blue/white? I remember Ricky's Glastron VERY well, he took me for a few rides in it goofing off... what happened to Ted's brother Kirk?? Suzy was a cutie... 103-104 was my DAILY ritual... the things we did in that neighborhood... oy vey...

Jim Haas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

last i remember, kirk was living in a townhouse on 104 canal, roughly across from ricky lindheimer. had a roomate named yogi (sp?). partying and chasing girls. lost track of everybody when i moved to tallahassee in 73 or 74. sure am glad to find this site and reunite with the past. does anybody know anything about a 12 cyl. inline o/b? i seem to remember a boat at the marina on maule lake, 183 st. & biscayne. someone had coupled two 6's on top of each other. did it ever run- or work? sure looked neat! i also know where 2 mccalls might still be sitting in n. fla., just west of tallahassee. a d or e runabout/flat bottom and a f or h tunnel. don't know ANYTHING about them, just that they were sitting for years, and both definately mccalls. anyone interested can e-mail me at execchefal@juno and i'll tell you what i remember about finding them.

AIRWALK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Old Trophy/plaque

just found an item on e bay, in radio control of all places. old around the beach race plaque. 1964 july 4th fun festival 1st place class v outboard. somebody probably knows who won this. i have a bid in on it, my only interest is to return it to whoever won it, so please don't bid against me. little help out there, let's give it back-who was it?

AIRWALK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a party a few of weeks ago and a friend of my wife told me that Ted Swing had died of cancer a couple of years back. Ted built several "Swingers" Attached is a shot of my self and John Reed in one of Ted's boats
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File0048.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The alumlium E boat turned out to be a failure. Brooke was not able to make the bottom rigid enough so he cut it out and replaced it with a plywood bottom. The result was way too heavy and I recall it laying on it's side next to the house. Brooke Russel was always trying new stuff like the gear driven power trim device he put in the Miami To New York Alim. He made a worm gear and acme screw drive adjustable thrust bracket hooked to a 800 dr starter motor to change the motor trim angle. This was at a time when power trim was not legal in OPC so he never used it in competition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know Teddy had dided.... wow, bummer... I knew his dad had died of cancer and he lived on the 105 side of the canal with Kirk.. I definately remember John Reed, and there were quite a few others that congregated next door like Craig Tokarski, Paul that started Action, Coyner's, Vitsur's, Emerson's, DeNote, that place was a constant flow of body's.. yada yada... more names will come to me...

JH

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool swinger

the swinger is the red boat in the background, right? i had a good friend, a few years younger than, who was ricky lindheimer's next door neighbor. rich family, kid got whatever he wanted. ended up with ricky's checkmate marathon boat. blue with a 125 or a 115 with power trim. we used to terrorize the beach side (indian river?) canals and tour boats. come screaming up behind them, jump the wake and someone would dive off. hold your breath and swim as far as you could-the tourists would freak-the tour guides got used to it. way stupid, but lots of fun back then.

AIRWALK

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast