User Tag List

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miami in the 60,s is gonna be 69 magnum marauder in the bay in 2013!!!
    I got my old hull back and have the transom floor and stringers in deck work next and time to ride the bay again in my old school bayrunner

joel
    p.s Allison gone,this is my ride now!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnum marauder.jpg   magnum sand 104.jpg   magnum sand 192.jpg   magnum sand 188.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, those fast food delivery cars were from St Hubert Chicken, and were generally Beetles. Prior to this example, the actual roof lights were chicken-shaped. And Valleyfield is a great race town, you should visit in the winter when the lake freezes over and the Canadian lunatics go ice racing in cars...big fun for us up here when boating's not an option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chicken.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    Ah yes, those fast food delivery cars were from St Hubert Chicken, and were generally Beetles. Prior to this example, the actual roof lights were chicken-shaped. And Valleyfield is a great race town, you should visit in the winter when the lake freezes over and the Canadian lunatics go ice racing in cars...big fun for us up here when boating's not an option.
    Those cars used to meet us as we drove into town with our race boats and guide us to the pits to park the trailers and then to the hotel.... they were on call 24 hours a day it seemed like.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still are, and will deliver a hot chicken meal guaranteed to minimize a hangover, 24/7/365. Like guardian angels with excellent gravy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    They still are, and will deliver a hot chicken meal guaranteed to minimize a hangover, 24/7/365. Like guardian angels with excellent gravy.
    But what does this have to do with racing in Florida in the 50's and 60's...other than all the Canadians down there each winter???
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a thing, and sorry for wandering off topic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am reading "The Iron Fist" again

Last week I was looking for something in my garage and came across the book " The Iron Fist".
    it is a complete story about the life of Carl Kiekhaefer.
    It is an amazing story and from the times I was around him, it captured his persona
    perfectly. To his friends and favored employees he was loved. To most, he was a bully. He was a great supporter of OPC racing, and it would have never been anything close to what it was without him.
    he would sponser the APBA OPC 6 hour Grand Nationals, with Mercury motors as prizes and provide fueling barges, and all the fuel for all the boats.
    i think he even did the same fuel setup for some of the Orange Bowl 9 hour marathons.
    All in all we were lucky to have him in Miami as his presence always made for great events.
    i was just a kid, but somewhere i pissed him off and he treated me like crap. I beat a number of his drivers in the Gold Coast Marathon and even though I was using Mercuries he got mad. Little did he know was the fact, he had paid for most of the rig I was running!
    In the 6 hour we were running Michigan props turning about 6400 RPM. He thought that was too high and we were going blow up an engine, making Mercury look bad.
    He had his area rep come over to me to try and make us stop, pull into the pits and change props. I told him to F off. We were leading the Twin engine Unlimited class at the time. We went on to win unlimited and a week later run the entire 9 hour with the same props. In the 9 hour we were only beat by two factory boats running the brand new Super SpeedMasters. He would not give us a pair until a week later.
    After reading the book again, I realized how much of an inferiority complex he suffered from. His complexes were borderline pathological. If things did not go his way, he was a demon!
    Thats what it takes for a single person to build such an empire in a single lifetime.
    I suggest, everyone get a copy of the Iron Fist and read it.
    Last edited by velox; 12-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great comments Charlie! Merry Christmas to you and Bonny - see you soon....(March I hope) Roger & Margo

Quote Originally Posted by velox View Post
    Last week I was looking for something in my garage and came across the book " The Iron Fist".
    It is an amazing story and from the times I was around him, it captured his persona
    perfectly. To his friends and favored employees he was loved. To most, he was a bully. He was a great supporter of OPC racing, and it would have never been anything close to what it was without him.
    he would sponser the APBA OPC 6 hour Grand Nationals, with Mercury motors as prizes and provide fueling barges, and all the fuel for all the boats.
    i think he even did the same fuel setup for some of the Orange Bowl 9 hour marathons.
    All in all we were lucky to have him in Miami as his presence always made for great events.
    i was just a kid, but somewhere i pissed him off and he treated me like crap. I beat a number of his drivers in the Gold Coast Marathon and even though I was using Mercuries he got mad. Little did he know was the fact, he had paid for most of the rig I was running!
    In the 6 hour we were running Michigan props turning about 6400 RPM. He thought that was too high and we were going blow up an engine, making Mercury look bad.
    He had his area rep come over to me to try and make us stop, pull into the pits and change props. I told him to F off. We were leading the Twin engine Unlimited class at the time. We went on to win unlimited and a week later run the entire 9 hour with the same props. In the 9 hour we were only beat by two factory boats running the brand new Super SpeedMasters. He would not give us a pair until a week later.
    After reading the book again, I realized how much of an inferiority complex he suffered from. His complexes were borderline pathological. If things did not go his way, he was a demon!
    Thats what it takes for a single person to build such an empire in a single lifetime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodride View Post
    I got my old hull back and have the transom floor and stringers in deck work next and time to ride the bay again in my old school bayrunner

joel
    You ever finish this project? By any chance is this the one from NE Miami? Chased one down a couple years ago and talked to the guy, he was taking it somewhere to restore.
    Home of all things Donzi, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron V View Post
    You forgot to mention one other resource the Japs have: BRAINS. Something severely lacking in this country since rampant marijuana use, eyebrow rings, and baggy pants became widely accepted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you go Joel? I came by and you were gone

Quote Originally Posted by goodride View Post

joel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the top---Leonard!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene,
    Believe it or not I flew from Utah to Telluride today.
    my son had to pick up his bosses daughter and I went along to keep him company.
    as we passed over GrNd Junction I thought about you being just a little farther east on I70.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene,
    Believe it or not I flew from Utah to Telluride today.
    my son had to pick up his bosses daughter and I went along to keep him company.
    as we passed over GrNd Junction I thought about you being just a little farther east on I70.
    In the Baron??

TEX: Highest Commercal Airport in North America--nearly 9100 feet--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not realize it was the highest commercial airport in the USA!wewere flying a T182RG. Even with the turbo it was pretty weak.
    We did get off with quite a bit of Runway left. We had 3 average weight people, 3/4 fuel and about 100 baggage.
    Of course we took off in the dead of winter.
    We took it up to 16.5, and only got about 150kn. We then went to 14.5 and kept the same GS.
    I was pretty surprised at the slow speeds.
    I remember when you flew your T210 to Florida with great speeds!
    As I remember, you made it non stop.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when you flew your T210 to Florida with great speeds!
    As I remember, you made it non stop.
    Leonard- The T-210 was a P-210---and it had some LONG range tanks--for some VERY special missions---

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast