User Tag List

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    10 or so yrs ago, I visited a guy on the St Lucie Canal that had a bunch of, cool, old offshore boats for sale.

One very unique one was the twin IO thunderbird tri-hull they used in that series.
    Was in very good shape from what I remember.

Seeing that stuff is one of the things I miss the most about living down there.

I remember stumbling on a scrap yard in the middle of an industrial park one time.
    I was big into building hot rod OMC loopers at that time and this facility was the recent dumping grounds of the local marinas.

I was buying complete, V-6 loopers for .50c a lb!

Bought every one they had!

Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    The 1960's TV show Flipper brought a lot of south of Miami water-scenes into many American homes, including ours.

Some of the dolphins portraying Flipper came from the Miami Seaquarium.

I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flippers

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    10 or so yrs ago, I visited a guy on the St Lucie Canal that had a bunch of, cool, old offshore boats for sale.

One very unique one was the twin IO thunderbird tri-hull they used in that series.
    Was in very good shape from what I remember.

Seeing that stuff is one of the things I miss the most about living down there.

I remember stumbling on a scrap yard in the middle of an industrial park one time.
    I was big into building hot rod OMC loopers at that time and this facility was the recent dumping grounds of the local marinas.

I was buying complete, V-6 loopers for .50c a lb!

Bought every one they had!
    I believe Mark Halpin Was sandy and the dolphin was Mitzi from A dolphin place down in the Keys. Ivan tors studios

3. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberjack1234 View Post
    Sylvia Hitchcock’s family On the hardware store on Red Road in South Miami back in the 60s and 70s we mid-level teenagers are used to go in there and buy $.10 worth of nuts and bolts just to have her wait on us. If memory serves me correctly she was absolutely stunning. But do a 13-year-old no anything at all how long long time ago
    Their first store was on 124th St and useless 1, in the late 50's. Her brother Ralph and my brother Van were great friends. We played football after school with a bunch of kids. Sylvia wanted to play with us but we wouldn't let her.. DUH.. she was in my moms class at Palmetto High, and my mom loved her. She said a lot of the girls were mean to her. My mom kept asking me to take her out but I was too busy with my BU Holt Craft and 20H, and trying to find someone to take it to the water for me.. All I had was a Vespa.
    Last edited by lilabner; 06-28-2022 at 09:04 PM.

5. Likes GENE LANHAM, Instigator, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football dummies

Football dummies
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Their first store was on 124th St and useless 1, in the late 50's. Her brother Ralph and my brother Van were great friends. We played football after school with a bunch of kids. Sylvia wanted to play with us but we wouldn't let her.. DUH.. she was in my moms class at Palmetto High, and my mom loved her. She said a lot of the girls were mean to her. My mom kept asking me to take her out but I was too busy with my BU Holt Craft and 20H, and trying to find someone to take it to the water for me.. All I had was a Vespa.
    Lesson Sylvia Hitchcock was playing for the otherTeam and I don’t mean that in a bad way. Any of us boysg. Any of us boys that lived in South Miami would have given our left do you know what tube boyfriend or prom date. I really can’t visualize your Vespa with a trailer hitch but do you know how boat racers are I’m sure you were trying to rig up something to get to the water. Lol amber jack

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Mark Halpin Was sandy and the dolphin was Mitzi from A dolphin place down in the Keys. Ivan tors studios
    Back to real time and i think the guy who had FLIPPER and lots more old collectibles is my friend
    JOHN CADDILAC MCDANNIELS
    HES RIGHT THERE ON THE INTERCOASTAL IN INDIAN TOWN.
    We have had a couple of the old farts [OFF] meetings at Caddies place.
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 07-01-2022 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is correct.

Back when I still lived in FLa, some buddies and I used to do motorcycle rides to points of interest.

I knew of Cadillac from reading about him on offshoreonly and an old velocity race boat that he sold to family of the original owners.

He didn’t know me from Adam but welcomed us with open arms and even bought us lunch!

Cool guy, awesome location, lots of cool old toys to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Back to real time and i think the guy who had FLIPPER and lots more old collectibles is my friend
    JOHN CADDILAC MCDANNIELS
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

9. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of south Florida true characters

One of south Florida true characters
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    JOHN CADDILAC MCDANNIELS
    Well we have a mutual friend then. Cadillac McDaniel goes back to the Mike Gordon’s restaurant Days when we all used to hang around with all Mike the GN Racing crews.We used to have to meet at Mike’s house for the race planning committees for his Bacardi 225 Race. Needless to say everybody got well lubricated. As you say Cadillac is a collectible himself. His mother was a South Beach character. Now I’ll have to phone Cadillac and say hi to him this week. By the way FujimoPosted a picture in one of these threads showing the 1969 Havasu race with Jeff Titus his big job boat. Next toIt you can just see in the corner of the picture a yellow Molinary with a guy holding it in the water. That attractive behind is me about 50 years ago. Lol. By the way have a happy Fourth of July Jackie I know it’s not a holiday that you Brits like to celebrate but it really wasn’t a loss for you guys you gained a friend In our country. Best to you and all your family for the fourth

11. Likes GENE LANHAM, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instigator I keep seeing your replies and all the cool toys you’ve had over the years it looks like you enjoyed yourself young man. Happy Fourth of July

13. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you sir.
    Much appreciated, and same to you and yours!

was just talking to a 40 year long best bud and reviewing that I am 63 years old and have no idea what to do at 63.

Told him that of all the stupid **** that I did when I was young and lived through it, if I was a cat and had nine lives, I’m down to one left and if someone would’ve told me at that point that I would’ve lived till 63…, I would’ve bet that they were way wrong.

My buddy said, he would’ve taken that bet!

Instigator I keep seeing your replies and all the cool toys you’ve had over the years it looks like you enjoyed yourself young man. Happy Fourth of July

15. Likes Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older but wiser

Older but wiser
    Thank you sir.
    Much appreciated, and same to you and yours!

was just talking to a 40 year long best bud and reviewing that I am 63 years old and have no idea what to do at 63.

Told him that of all the stupid **** that I did when I was young and lived through it, if I was a cat and had nine lives, I’m down to one left and if someone would’ve told me at that point that I would’ve lived till 63…, I would’ve bet that they were way wrong.

My buddy said, he would’ve taken that bet!
    Well at least your buddy lost the Bet

17. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fourth of July in Florida used to be a race of some sort somewhere back in the 70s we were doing the outlaw races at the Caribbean Club Memorial Day Fourth of July and Labor Day. Later on patrol a lot of the offshore races were held in Florida. Sarasota was a big one on Fourth of July. Just talk to a friend of mine earlier today about all the good times we had. Well hopefully Monday night will enjoy the fireworks

19. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will have to call Cadillac McDaniel’s on Fourth of July just to check with him. He was good friends back in the day when we were doing the GM races for my Gordon at the restaurant and in the Miami Marine Stadium. Like I stated earlier Cadillac is a real collectible himself. If anybody remembers a guy name Joe Colt he is still alive and wellIf .anybody remembers a guy name Joe Colt he is still alive and well and living out in Okeechobee. And would love to hear from Any racers I remember him.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I first started attempting to move my dumb ass to FLA 20+ years ago, I was blown away by the generosity of S/F members offering to help me.
    The father of one of those guys used to race at the Caribbean club.

We spent a night celebrating at his place while watching home movies of them.

It was like Woodstock!
    People on top of hippie vans with hair passed their shoulders, 17 foot Boston whalers racing against competition tunnel boats,racing against center consoles!
    Insane!

I love the history down there, all of the history down there!
    After hearing many of the inside stories, told to me privately, in confidence I have to believe it was like the wild West!

I often tell the story of the gifted childhood I had growing up on my parents cabin cruisers and trips into the northern great lakes every year and not imagining how a kid could grow up any better.

Unless I imagine being a teenager growing up in Florida in the 70s!

Fourth of July in Florida used to be a race of some sort somewhere back in the 70s we were doing the outlaw races at the Caribbean Club Memorial Day Fourth of July and Labor Day. Later on patrol a lot of the offshore races were held in Florida. Sarasota was a big one on Fourth of July. Just talk to a friend of mine earlier today about all the good times we had. Well hopefully Monday night will enjoy the fireworks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of us still think we’re teenagers

When I first started attempting to move my dumb ass to FLA 20+ years ago, I was blown away by the generosity of S/F members offering to help me.
    The father of one of those guys used to race at the Caribbean club.

We spent a night celebrating at his place while watching home movies of them.

It was like Woodstock!
    People on top of hippie vans with hair passed their shoulders, 17 foot Boston whalers racing against competition tunnel boats,racing against center consoles!
    Insane!

I love the history down there, all of the history down there!
    After hearing many of the inside stories, told to me privately, in confidence I have to believe it was like the wild West!

I often tell the story of the gifted childhood I had growing up on my parents cabin cruisers and trips into the northern great lakes every year and not imagining how a kid could grow up any better.

Unless I imagine being a teenager growing up in Florida in the 70s!
    Some of us still aren’t trying to grow up just having too much fun

23. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone remember Joe's Stone Crab restaurant?

Back in the mid 1960's, my Dad was down in Miami for a boat race.

He and others go to Joe's. And my late Dad several times brought this up, that they are in this nice seafood restaurant (Joe's) and my Mom orders a hamburger. Women we don't totally understand them, but we love them none the less.

Last edited by Lake X Kid; 07-02-2022 at 08:09 AM.

25. Likes GENE LANHAM, Instigator liked this post
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast