Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

250 horsepower out of a 2.0L

what has to be done to get 250 horsepower out of a 1500 inline 6?
    1984 Nordic pickel fork. 2.5L 245 carb, CLE. top speed: 95mph with more to go

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a gypsy and give them $487.63.... and you will have tha same thing
    as if you did anything else!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A WHOLE LOTTA NOS
    1997 Allison XB2003
    1998 ProMax 150 SS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, im not talkin about NO2. thats what i first assumed when i heard about this a few days ago. 1/2 a dozen or so members have heard about this (or have done it) and im hoping to get an explanation from one of them. this engine does not have a removable head, so they cant be cut ( compression already 155 psi) to boot psi, the port timing is high from factory. what else is there besides reeds?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inceasing an inline to 2 liters is a pretty good trick, so who knows what else is possible.

Some of the merc fans were claiming 200+ for the factory team T2X engines the other day. I think those are about as common as the 500+hp OMC V8s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused?????

Juggernaut, you are confused on the post. No one ever said anything about 250hp from an Inline 6. T-REX said you could get 250hp from a 2.0. 2.0's are not Inline 6 motors they are V-6 motors. If you were to go back and read the original post you would understand. The i-6 are 99.8 ci which is more like 1.5 litres or so. I think this is one of those deals where "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THAT YOU DON'T KNOW"......................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    what has to be done to get 250 horsepower out of a 1500 inline 6?
    no, im not talkin about NO2. thats what i first assumed when i heard about this a few days ago. 1/2 a dozen or so members have heard about this (or have done it) and im hoping to get an explanation from one of them. this engine does not have a removable head, so they cant be cut ( compression already 155 psi) to boot psi, the port timing is high from factory. what else is there besides reeds?
    You've GOTTA GO BACK and read the other thread again and pay attention this time. NOBODY is talkin' about an inline 6. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A 2 LITER INLINE 6. THERE WAS NO 150 HP INLINE 6 IN 1979. There has never been a 250 horse inline 6 Merc unless somebody stuck nitros to one and got it to stay in one piece (doubtful) The biggest inline 6 Merc has ever made was 99 cu. inches. A 2 liter engine is 122 cu. inches. They're talking about a 2 liter V6 150. It's not possible with an inline 6 crossflow/direct charge without something like nitros.

I think Barry Strawn's post above pretty well sums it up.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.0 V6

Hey guys a question about this. (I'm talking about a 2.0 V6). Would 250hp be for a racing application. No pump gas at that hp? Were the first V6's 2.0 or something different? What were the T3 & T4? On a different subject, years ago I was watching a show on TV that had Richard Petty on it. I think around the end of his driving career. He was at his house and had a bass boat that had a V6 on it. He talked about Merc doing a few things to really make that motor run well. Anyone else remember that show or have any idea what was done to that motor? Thanks in advance. Smitty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.0's

SMITH, the first v-6 that Mercury produced was a 1750 (175) that was a vertical reed, 2.0 way back in 1976. The 2.4 (200) came on the scene I believe in 1978 or so. It was also a vertical reed but, had 3.375 inch chrome bores. All 135/150's were 2.0's until the XR-4 appeared in 1988 or 89. The XR-4 was a 3.375 steel bore (2.4) 150 (actually more like 165 -170 hp). The 250hp 2.0's would most definitely be a RACE ONLY engine that would produce that kind of power way up into the rpm's ( 8500+) and wouldn't have much for the low end grunt needed for a lake boat.. I have no clue on the T3-T4 or Petty scenario.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh.. yeah, i know that 250 hp is possible outta a v6.. guess i just got confused. soo, i feel like an idiot. hahaha.
    well now that that brain fart is outta the way, is there anything i can do to my 1500 I6 to boost the horses up. (besides doing reeds) i dont want to tear the engine apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh.. yeah, i know that 250 hp is possible outta a v6.. guess i just got confused. soo, i feel like an idiot. hahaha.
    well now that that brain fart is outta the way, is there anything i can do to my 1500 I6 to boost the horses up. (besides doing reeds) i dont want to tear the engine apart.
    Short answerer, no.

Long answerer, make shore the engine is performing 100% , check timing, carburetors and sync, then work on the engine setup , try different propellers .

You might find some working mods, but they doesn't work to well, OR is a well hidden secret .

What about the reeds ??, got any WORKING mods, I am still looking for some .

Arne Kjetil
    Last edited by Droll; 09-17-2006 at 10:48 AM.
    My engines :
    Johnson V4m-10s 90 hp 1964,from the prosess.
    Mercury TII, next project
    True story ??:-)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The T3, introduced on the factory boats in the mid 70's was a 122 cu inch (2 liter) powerhead on a 12" mid section with a Speedmaster gearcase and lift off cowl. The powerhead was actually very similar to the production V6 175 that was introduced to the public in 1976. The T4 was a 3.4 liter race engine on a similar mid and gearcase used on the factory Team boats in the late 70's. It was based on the 300 horsepower production engine.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i plan on going thru the whole system, checking for proper operation and such. the engine is stock. i was just curious as to wether there is anything for it or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T3 + T4

So the T3 was a 2.0L and the T4 was a 3.4L. Were they FI or carbed. Other than tighter heads and different porting I wonder what the difference was from their production bretheren? The Champ boat and F1 motors of today, are they based on any production motors? Thanks Guys. Smitty
    P.S. I think I remember reading the L6 puts out about all it can. Something about it's thermal limits? it was developed to the design limits? Does that sound correct.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 250hp 2.0's would most definitely be a RACE ONLY engine that would produce that kind of power way up into the rpm's ( 8500+) and wouldn't have much for the low end grunt needed for a lake boat..
    I ran a 2.0L on 93 pump gas that was making somewhere around 250HP. I only turned it 7500RPM because of no top pinned pistons. It wasn't a rocket out of the hole, but was acceptable and really came to life above 6000RPM. The heads were cut, 7 pedal horizontal front end, and some major grinding on the ports. I ran this engine on several full weight boats over 10 years. Man, I loved that motor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast