Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
    You do pretty good work, that is looking nice....that scoop is going to be cool looking! I have an old I/O with a scoop but it points to the rear. Anyway it has an old 'vette M/T filter on it that fits the scoop....have no idea if you could use one but you hear the intake nice with it. I will look for a pick. Can't find a pick, I'm sure its not marine approved but it goes up one way and faces the scoop opening.
    Sounds cool SHO I would love to see it

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked in all my pics but can't find it, have not had that boat uncovered in a couple years or more...maybe before I had a digital camera. But you are in luck I have a new tarp for it and I will take some pics soon as I get to it. Tire is flat and been to busy to get it off and fix, its off rim now. Going to pull it around front and check it over when I redo the tarps.

It has a flat rear deck over the V8 with a scoop in it facing rearward. The goofy air cleaner thing goes on a holley and up to face rear with a rectangular filter facing the deck scoop that has a screen glassed in it. The owner told me he happened to have it off an old vette he had and it fit right on, I almost did not get it with the boat he made a big deal out of it.
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom stuff

It seems like no two boats are the same. I think the custom stuff is 1/2 the fun of rebuilding one. My buddy Josh has a 77 mph Sidewinder and he is looking to put a chrome chain steering wheel in it over the winter. I have seen just one jet with a chain link steering wheel and it looked sweet! I just picked up a few vintage nick-nacks on Ebay this week. Picks will be soon to come if the parts I got will work.
    Fred

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

Ok what do you think of this 1960's JC Whitney air cleaner new in the box? I was looking for a vintage air scoop or air cleaner even though it's a closed engine boat I wanted to use a cal customs, hillborn, moon eyes, mr gasket or something cool. I came across this one and may use it. I like this one because I have never seen one before. Will need to fix up a 4BBL base plate for it because it was for a 2BBL carb. Anyone remember an air cleaner like this from back in the day?
    http://

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a closed engine boat, you're likely regulated to having a USCG Approved device. ... that said.....

Anything made for a 2 bbl carb would certainly be too restrictive to be practical for use with a big block, especially a nice healthy one.

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I am still working on it I still have not tarped that boat! I'll get out there soon as it stops raining, was busy all weekend. I'll get some pics of it, might give you some ideas. Could not find one on ebay the other day when I looked.
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's 6-C View Post
    Being a closed engine boat, you're likely regulated to having a USCG Approved device. ... that said.....

Anything made for a 2 bbl carb would certainly be too restrictive to be practical for use with a big block, especially a nice healthy one.

Darlene
    Hi Morgan's 6-c
    I was told that I can get a K&N filter that is USCGA approved. My thinking was that the better flowing K&N element would make up for the smaller diameter of the 10" air cleaner ???? The baseplate is for a 4BBL but the seller told me it was for a 2BBL.
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 11-13-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Air Cleaner

Ok I found a K&N element that seems to fit my old air cleaner well. The new K&N element is 1" taller than the paper element that came with the old thing. Hope this will make it flow good enough to do the job on my Boat. I like the combonation of old school style and the modern element. Hope it will work out ok, what do yall think.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The checkerboard pattern reminds me of the checkered flag insignias on the mid-60s corvette sting rays, a nice retro touch.

Ultimately, how well it works is going to depend on how much motor you put under it.

The only way to get real numbers of course, is to build your motor, then dyno the thing. Once you get everything dialed in, then do some pulls with the air cleaner in place of the hat and compare the numbers.

While you might be able to just do a seat of the pants / max RPM test on the boat with the cleaner and with an airhorn, the dyno data will go a longgg way towards helping you get your pump/impeller setup for optimal performance.

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Air Cleaner - New Filter

Thanks Morgan's 6-C
    I'm sure the only testing I will be doing is by the seat of my "po-boy" pants. The machine shop tells me the motor will be 475 hp or just a tick over. The new impeller is a Berkley aluminum A-cut . That's what CP Performance suggested I use with my hull and HP combonation. The new impeller came with the master pump rebuild kit I got from from CP Performance. Do you have any hot pics of your "go fast boats" down there in St Croix? Love to see some!
    Fred
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 11-22-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

My buddy and I worked on the pump today. Got the rebuild kit installed.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

Everyhing went well and the clearance looks to be A-ok. Not bad for our first pump rebuild.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rudder or no rudder that is the question.

I am told that a rudder on a jet boat does not help at all. My buddy said that he can tell no difference with it bolted on or when he takes it off so I think it needs to go

Southern Hotboater

14. Likes boybadone liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice documention of your restoration work. One thing I would do is send your impeller to "Jack" at MPD (Marine Performance Designs) http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/ Let him work a little of his magic on your impeller. This is the best bang for your buck pump wise. His work will greatly in crease the efficiency of the impeller and reduce slippage. Good Luck with your project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thank you Riverjet,
    Have never seen that shop before, we have a few really good shops on the east coast but it's nice to know about the other good places out there.
    Fred

Southern Hotboater

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast