Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDRISTER View Post
    Darlene,
    I have the 105 epoxy, 206 hardener, 404 HD filler, the pump kit and the West Sysyems User Manual. So far I like it for what little I have used. Only other thing I have ever worked with was your run of the mill parts store waxed poly resin.

The back of the boat has 2 body lines that need to be blended into the cowl scoop it it is ever going to look good. Should I do all of this filling and building up with the 404 and epoxy. Are there any other products I can use in combonation with the epoxy. I did some work with Marine-Tex and it was nice to work with.

On the stringer install I have 2 gallons of Hull and Deck putty for a bedding conpound. This stuff kicks with MEKP, I'm told it will be just fine to epoxy over this but never go over epoxy with any kind of poly. They tell me that epoxy sticks to most everything but most things won't stick to epoxy.

Thank you for all the time you have taken to helpl me sort out this $600 boat project.
    Fred

Without seeing exactly what you're up against blending the scoop and cowl, The best advice I can offer is to use the west system with the 404 filler for the first fillet at least, but keep it tidy and don't leave blobs you'll need to sand off. ..That stuff is tough... If there's still more areas that require build up, use the 404 again. You can mix it from syrup to peanut butter consistancy by how much 404 you put in the resin. About like mayonaise sounds about right for your needs.

Once you have everything to where you're ready for finishing work, you can use some of the west sandable fillers made for finish work.

As you probably read, you can add the next coat, while the existing one is still green, but if it's hard, you HAVE TO SAND it before applying anything.

On the stringer install, keep in mind that anything called "putty" is designed to be used to make less than perfect surfaces ready to finish, not to be structural or bear impact.

If it was my project, I'd bite the $$ bullet and bed them in with west system, and then glass them in with west. They are after all, the foundation of your project.

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West Systems Epoxy

I made my first pot with 404 today and only got it as thick as apple sauce. Wanted it thicker but I felt like the time spent mixing filler was burning up working tim, felt kind of in a rush. Need to go way thicker next time and get some 410 microlight. Knowing that I didn't want to sand down a bunch of hard ass run off I made dams out of tape to keep it in check. This was the last day of a week vacation so I won't have much time to work on the boat except for sundays and wednesdays. I work long hours and we will be running out of good weather in VA before long. The boat isn't in a garage my garage is the back yard but I do hope to get the two big 14' stringers in before winter. I will post updates as the project creeeeeeps along.

Thank You Darlene!
    "You Are A Boat Repair Heroine"
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 10-06-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West Systems Epoxy Resin

Just placed an order for another gallon of resin, quart of hardener and some 410 microlight filler. The price went up on the resin Where is the best place to get the West Systems products? The cost of this stuff is crazy high!

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    marine wholesaler in area????? if you buy in big enough quantity they wont have any problem selling to ya at dealer pricing.... so save pennys buy in large quantities and keep the little steps to a min... other wise the double mark up to retail kills ya... especially on west systems.... that chit aint cheep at wholesale let alone retail..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDRISTER View Post
    Just placed an order for another gallon of resin, quart of hardener and some 410 microlight filler. The price went up on the resin Where is the best place to get the West Systems products? The cost of this stuff is crazy high!

Yep, it's got real "sticker shock", .... but it is the best there is.

Down here you won't find anyone that uses anything else, even to patch a dinghy.

There's a custom yacht builder here, mostly commercial, but some private, http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/ and the whole boat is built using West System. I can imagine the cost off those 55gal drums

Now that you're getting into the actual construction stages of your project, spend a couple hours on the West systems website, (it's got that much good info to learn) http://www.westsystem.com/ so that you'll have more confidence and direction as you move forward.

If you have internet time, you may find this website very helpfull: http://www.classicseacraft.com/ While these aren't go-fast boats, they were built to very high standards back in the same era as your project, and as such, a lot of them are still around and there's a lot that have been restored.

The restoration process, new floors, transoms, stringers, and so on is very similar to what you'll be doing. Register on the site and go to the forums, there's been a goodly number of ongoing and completed restorations with pictures as it went along (much as you're doing here) Some of those guys are real fiberglass wizards and are always willing to offer suggestions.

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At times I feel like an internet HO-BO bouncing from place to place looking for tips, suggestions and feed back on my project. I guess that's what the net is for, hope it's not boaring any of yall to death.

Darlene,
    I checked out classicseacraft and "wow" like you said there are some big time restoration projects that are well documented over there.
    Thank You!
    Last edited by WICKEDRISTER; 10-08-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

Placed an order today with my lumber yard. I need the wood for the center stringer. I have my two 2x6x14 doug fir boards ready to go for the big stringers but I had to get one 1x8x12 fir board for the center stringer. My second gallon of 105 Epoxy, 206 hardener and 401 microlight filler also came today. Still think the coat of this stuff is nuts, just hope it does the job.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool project! I did a transom with Wests and it worked great, it really sticks to the old stuff. How nasty of a motor do you want in it?
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
    Cool project! I did a transom with Wests and it worked great, it really sticks to the old stuff. How nasty of a motor do you want in it?

Thanks SHO
    Engine is a gen IV BBC it's at the machine shop getting built now. Not gonna be a monster just around 475 hp. I told him to use the good good stuff when putting it together. I'm sure I will do a good job in this big old family lake ride

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

Test fitting the grill to my cowl scoop, I think it looks cool what do yall think ???
    http:// http://
    I think it needs a 1970's SS emblem or a 454 emblem on the grill to finish off the look

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

I installed the grill emblem today and I think the 454 will do.

http://

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

First test fit of the hatch after 3 build up coats of epoxy. Not looking that bad but it has a long way to go. I need to mix my epoxy and 401 filler way thicker so it dosn't run so much. Can't get much done if it's running off where I need to be building up! Do the deck lines need to run all the way up to the top of the cowl or are they long enough now? Thanks Fred!

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Project

Worked on the boat some today, started to blend the large ridge on the cowl scoop into the small ridge on the deck. Has a ways to go but not looking that bad.

Southern Hotboater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking Nice!

Restorations/restifications have to be a labor of love, to produce really fine results.

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do pretty good work, that is looking nice....that scoop is going to be cool looking! I have an old I/O with a scoop but it points to the rear. Anyway it has an old 'vette M/T filter on it that fits the scoop....have no idea if you could use one but you hear the intake nice with it. I will look for a pick. Can't find a pick, I'm sure its not marine approved but it goes up one way and faces the scoop opening.
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast