Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStreamin
    Glass up the hole and add an outboard. That's what my dad did and was much happier (and faster). This is his '73 CV-20 W/ a 225 Yamaha
    That's an idea! Nice pic Ron is that a Hydrostream next to the Carlson? It is one wicked looking boat!
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Out board vs Jet drive

I think I need to stick to the plan. Jet pump and a big block chevy. That will make a fun combo in this boat. Old school with a twist of loud and obnoxious, how cool is that. I think my next fast boat needs to be a tunnel . That will take care of my need for high speed. All my friends have jets and I just gotta have one
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 repair

Well all the foam is out now so I can see the entire transom and the extent of the damage. I think it can be fixed but it is going to take me some time. This will be my second try at fixing up an older boat. The first one was not nearly this bad off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX 20 repair

Close up of the damage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Place Diverter Shifter

I had to rebuild the place diverter shifter that came with the boat. The only part on the old shifter that wasn't rusted away was it's inner workings. After looking at the cost of new units it seemed that rebuilding the old one was a option. It's kind of heavy but I think it turned out well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuilt place diverter shifter

Last edited by 86ENTICER; 10-29-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Repairs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX20 Repairs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CVX 20 Repair

Not had much time to work on the boat but I got some things done. I do have the pump totally pulled down. I looks like the shaft and housings can be saved but the rest is junk. Any suggestions on rebuilding the pump. Can I do this my self or do I need to send it off to an expert? Man that salt water was hard on the pump. I'm getting ready to order a rebuild kit from CP Performance. Not sure what impeller to go with I know it had a 9" A impeller but don't know for sure what cut it was. Don't know if it was an A, AA or whatever? This impeller thing is all new to me. I have the templates made for the transom wood and I cut and fitted the big 10 1/2" x 4" exaust tips. They look way cooler than the 1" factory flappers and I think they are going to sound really good. I do have some of the must find parts knocked out on my never ending list. I picked up a Holley 850 carb that is at a shop getting glass beaded an rebuilt, a Torker 2 intake, a pair of M/T valve covers, a complete electronic distributor, and a set of Glenwood water logs and risers. I am going with a 468 ci big block chevy that belongs to my boss, steel crank, steel rods with 13-1 forged pistons. He is selling me the motor less heads, intake, carb, ignition, cam and oil pan. I think this will make a super engine for the boat but it may be a little high on compression . My buddy runs 13-1 pistons in his big block jet boat on pump gas and it does fine. Well that's all for now on the project boat update. If any one has suggestions or advice to offer please have at it. I need all the info I can get on this first time jet boat rebuild. Thanks Fred!
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 11-19-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the idea of the outboard. That 20' would just love 12 or 14" of setback (something like a Paralift) and a big V-6. Looks easy and faster than it'll ever be with anything less than 800 H.P. in front of a jet.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Jet drive va 250 Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Bruster
    I really like the idea of the outboard. That 20' would just love 12 or 14" of setback (something like a Paralift) and a big V-6. Looks easy and faster than it'll ever be with anything less than 800 H.P. in front of a jet.
    Hi Bruster, if I hung a 250 Merc XB on the back I would have the same problem with this one that I have with my 16" Checkmate. The wife will be afraid to ride in it a full speed She went for a ride in my buddys 1971 Carlson CV19 big block jet and just loved it. Big and roomy, not that fast with a hint of old school looks and loud pipes. If that's what she really likes and that kind of boat will keep the family wanting to go to the lake together well that's the kind of boat we will get.
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 11-23-2006 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the 71 Carlson that she likes better than our Chackmate??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

396 Big block under the hatch of the old James Bond Jet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86ENTICER
    Not had much time to work on the boat but I got some things done. I do have the pump totally pulled down. I looks like the shaft and housings can be saved but the rest is junk. Any suggestions on rebuilding the pump. Can I do this my self or do I need to send it off to an expert? Man that salt water was hard on the pump. I'm getting ready to order a rebuild kit from CP Performance. Not sure what impeller to go with I know it had a 9" A impeller but don't know for sure what cut it was. Don't know if it was an A, AA or whatever? This impeller thing is all new to me. I have the templates made for the transom wood and I cut and fitted the big 10 1/2" x 4" exaust tips. They look way cooler than the 1" factory flappers and I think they are going to sound really good. I do have some of the must find parts knocked out on my never ending list. I picked up a Holley 850 carb that is at a shop getting glass beaded an rebuilt, a Torker 2 intake, a pair of M/T valve covers, a complete electronic distributor, and a set of Glenwood water logs and risers. I am going with a 468 ci big block chevy that belongs to my boss, steel crank, steel rods with 13-1 forged pistons. He is selling me the motor less heads, intake, carb, ignition, cam and oil pan. I think this will make a super engine for the boat but it may be a little high on compression . My buddy runs 13-1 pistons in his big block jet boat on pump gas and it does fine. Well that's all for now on the project boat update. If any one has suggestions or advice to offer please have at it. I need all the info I can get on this first time jet boat rebuild. Thanks Fred!
    I'd definately rethink the 13:1 idea!

That kind of compression in a BBC needs 100+ octane gas at a minimum. That was about as much CR as we could run back in the 60's and early 70's when Sunoco 260 was about 102 or 103 octane and most other premiums were 100 or 101.

Also keep in mind that actual compression is dependant on more than just the piston. There are so many heads available for the BBC, some with very tight (low cc) combustion chambers and others with much larger chambers. Your buddy's 13 to 1's may actually be much less.

If you go with some aftermarket CNC ported aluminum heads, that would be the biggest bang for the buck, but I'd keep it to 11:1 tops, if you want it to run right and survive.

Looks like a nice project,

Darlene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86ENTICER
    I have a CVX20 like yours and it came with the Ford 460 in it, and an A impeller, when we got all of the work done on the hull and took it for test runs it would only turn 4800 rpm at about 52 mph. my friend, who owns a boat shop pulled the impeller and cut it to a B, rpm 5200 and 60 mph.
    Since then I have pt a 468 Chevy in it and being the performance of the engine is much better the boat now runs about 65 mph at 5400.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast