Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first jet CVX 20 Project boat asnd I have questions

Ok what do I do next. I have never had a jet before but I have one now! The boat was used in salt water and was last registered in 1994. The seller knows nothing about the boat or it's past. The boat was on the property when he took over a marine electronics business in NC. The boat has no engine and needs a total restoration of the stringers and floor. My question is about the Berkley pump. How do I check it and who do I take it to after pulling it. Can I go through it myself?
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need "special" tools to take the pump apart without risk of damage. I recommend that you get professional help. The closest I know of is Ted Kempisty at CBM "Custom Berkeley Marine" 1-877-JET-PUMP He is in Syracuse NY. Ted is a very nice fellow and will help with advice and/or service. He has an excellent reputation.

There are many companies that do Berkley service, however most are west of the Mississippi. Way west.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Sleek

Quote Originally Posted by OldSleekOlds
    You need "special" tools to take the pump apart without risk of damage. I recommend that you get professional help. The closest I know of is Ted Kempisty at CBM "Custom Berkeley Marine" 1-877-JET-PUMP He is in Syracuse NY. Ted is a very nice fellow and will help with advice and/or service. He has an excellent reputation.

There are many companies that do Berkley service, however most are
    west of the Mississippi. Way west.
    Thank you for the information! Nice Sleekcraft, they are cool boats with a lot history with Bruce Nescher. We just pulled a 18' kauai out of the woods this summer. It is an out-board Kauai, I think it may be kind of rare? My boss has it now but I don't know when he will ever start on it. Thanks Fred!!
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

berkeley

You can order a kit from Big A performance that has everything you need. The only special tools you might need is a puller for the impellor. I made my own, its simple to make. A basic pump refresh is not very hard. If you want to set your pump up for best performance being a machinist helps. I machined all my own stuff. Big A offers anything you caint do.

Nitrousdog
    Injection is nice, but I'd rather be BLOWN!

19' Picklefork w Blown 482, 800hp
    23' Stingray w 550hp 509
    21' Sleekcraft sb 400
    24' Pontoon w killer jam system
    1968 Winns Flat Bottom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Pump Rebuild Kite From Big A

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousdog
    You can order a kit from Big A performance that has everything you need. The only special tools you might need is a puller for the impellor. I made my own, its simple to make. A basic pump refresh is not very hard. If you want to set your pump up for best performance being a machinist helps. I machined all my own stuff. Big A offers anything you caint do.

Nitrousdog
    Thanks for the information Nitro.. I do work with tools for a living so I think I can figure it out if I take my time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next question

Any good advice on this mess. Do I just tear it all out and stasrt from scratch or do I try and save what I can. If I pull it all out do I need to reinforce the hull on the trailer some how or will it hold it's shape ok. What material do you suggest I use for the main stringers and what thickness of cloth or mat do you suggest. Thanks Fred!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet floor pic 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the cvx 20 stripped and dry. Pulling the pump on wednsday.

Last edited by 86ENTICER; 09-18-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First day working on the E-Bay salvage Jet. Removing rotted wood is next

Last edited by 86ENTICER; 09-18-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling the pump not so easy

OK what is the trick on pulling a pump that has not moved in 28 years. All the bolts are out of the pump and the grate is out. It must be sealer and age holding it in now. The ride plate still has 2 flush mounted bolts in the front of it. It looks like they only hold the forward part of the ride plate to the pump not the pump to the boat. I placed a big block of timber under the ride plate and started cranking slow up on the trailer jack. Rather than lever the pump free it just lifted the rear of the hull off the trailer, Hummmmmmmmm any suggestions. The next thing I am going to try is a heat gun to soften the 28 year old sealer. Fred
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 09-20-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing the pump is easy..............................NOT

It took two of us from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm to get the darn pump out of the boat. I hope it goes back in faster than it came out. Well it's out and no damage was done to the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glastron support sites

86Enticer
    You can try this site for additional, Glastron specific help.
    http://groups.msn.com/GlastronCarlso...sageboard.msnw
    Check out the photo section and the forums for info on flooring etc.
    There is also a resource link that had a reference to a boat restoration book that I got off ebay. Lots of good info on replacing floors and stringers etc.
    Good luck, I have the same boat, in the same condition! '76 Glastron Carlson CVX20. I love it, it's so retro and good looking!
    Big D.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks for the information Big D

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cvx20 repair

Ok so the pump is out so now the wet and rotted wood needs to come out. Man this thing was built like a tank! I spent the entire day removing wet wood. I filled my truck bed up with the old crap and I only got about 1/2 the of the bad wood out. Looks tike the transom will need alot of work but I need to remove the rest of the foam to see the entire thing. Looks like I one day of stripping left then I can start prepping.
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 09-28-2006 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glass up the hole and add an outboard. That's what my dad did and was much happier (and faster). This is his '73 CV-20 W/ a 225 Yamaha
    Last edited by AlaskaStreamin; 09-28-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast