Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Info on Mantra's?

Just bought myself another jet boat. A Mantra. These boats are even harder to find info on than I had first thought a Tahiti was. I read somewhere that they were made in Tennessee. No longer in production. Does anyone know where i may be able to find more information on these boats?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01828.JPG  

2. Likes Matra 1650 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Om, May all be happy. May all be healthy. May we all experience what is good and let no one suffer. Om, Peace, Peace, Peace! Try Hotboat.com
    Last edited by mr.clean; 09-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,coated in bubble gum,stuffed in a turducken. Δx Δp ≥ ℏ/2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a few guy's on www.baddapplesracing.com that have Mantra's, also try www.michiganhotboats.com they too have some members with Mantra's
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fine boat

Mantra's were made in Dyersburg Tenn. They quit making then in 1992. Your's is a nice looking boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an old thread, but I can enlighten anyone interested here. My uncle, Chuck Chambers, started Mantra Boats in 1974 in Harlan, Indiana, in a chicken coop. He got the name 'Mantra' from this a girl he was dating at the time (a hippy-type as my parents told me) and she would keep referring to 'your mantra'. Understand, as I have heard it pronounced incorrectly many times, the correct pronunciation is 'Mon-Truh', NOT 'Man-truh'. He then sold Mantra to the people (mentioned in previous post) in I believe around 1979-80 (this part I could be corrected on).

Before Uncle Chuck started Mantra, he was plant manager of Marlin Boats, Harlan, IN plant, into 1974. After selling Mantra, He then purchased Marlin Boat in the early 80's in Oregon until it's closing in 1989, due to poor economy. Hope this fills in some blanks you were looking for. Heck, 3 1/2 years ago from when this post started, you may not even have the boat. Happy boating,

tom
    2002 DONZI 28 ZX

7. Likes Matra 1650 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but I can enlighten anyone interested here. My uncle, Chuck Chambers, started Mantra Boats in 1974 in Harlan, Indiana, in a chicken coop. He got the name 'Mantra' from this a girl he was dating at the time (a hippy-type as my parents told me) and she would keep referring to 'your mantra'. Understand, as I have heard it pronounced incorrectly many times, the correct pronunciation is 'Mon-Truh', NOT 'Man-truh'. He then sold Mantra to the people (mentioned in previous post) in I believe around 1979-80 (this part I could be corrected on).

Before Uncle Chuck started Mantra, he was plant manager of Marlin Boats, Harlan, IN plant, into 1974. After selling Mantra, He then purchased Marlin Boat in the early 80's in Oregon until it's closing in 1989, due to poor economy. Hope this fills in some blanks you were looking for. Heck, 3 1/2 years ago from when this post started, you may not even have the boat. Happy boating,

tom
    Did he splash other hulls or build hulls for other companies? I have a Mantra HIN on a boat that has always been registered as a Sleekcraft. The boat was laid up light real light without any wood under the deck. Was this the norm or was it a special deal?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    Did he splash other hulls or build hulls for other companies? I have a Mantra HIN on a boat that has always been registered as a Sleekcraft. The boat was laid up light real light without any wood under the deck. Was this the norm or was it a special deal?
    Unfortunately I have pretty much lost all contact with my dad's side of the family and he would have the answers you're looking for. I want to say that he splashed Sleekcraft's hull, but not for sure (pretty common practice back then, remember Sidewinder and their 17 different lawsuits?). You should find that the boat was done with 'hand-laid' fiberglass, NEVER a chopper gun! Uncle Chuck couldn't stand Baja's (which were built just down the road in Bucyrus, OH) and they were made using a chopper gun (considered a cheap way to build a boat). Hand laid fiberglass was the norm for Mantra, but I couldn't say for sure regarding the wood. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try my best. BTW, What year is yours? Motor? Colors? OT pipes or thru transom exhaust?
    2002 DONZI 28 ZX

10. Likes Matra 1650 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I have pretty much lost all contact with my dad's side of the family and he would have the answers you're looking for. I want to say that he splashed Sleekcraft's hull, but not for sure (pretty common practice back then, remember Sidewinder and their 17 different lawsuits?). You should find that the boat was done with 'hand-laid' fiberglass, NEVER a chopper gun! Uncle Chuck couldn't stand Baja's (which were built just down the road in Bucyrus, OH) and they were made using a chopper gun (considered a cheap way to build a boat). Hand laid fiberglass was the norm for Mantra, but I couldn't say for sure regarding the wood. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try my best. BTW, What year is yours? Motor? Colors? OT pipes or thru transom exhaust?
    Sorry for the delay in answering... I don't get to this site that often. Mine is a 77, it was brown and off white when I picked it up, under the brown I can see Orange where the paint is peeling. The bottom of the hull was definately off white, the exhaust was over the transome as there is no indication of every having thru transom. The motor in the boat when I bought it was a 440 and it was kept up around Chicago. I need to repair the deck where it was cracked and someone did a bad repair job using filler, but the hull is in good shape still.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fishing/S , Great info and Story on the Mantra I have a customer who is doing a resto on what he belives is a Mantra tunnel I will pass this along ... Tom

below is his project:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mantra

Not sure about all the history on the boats, but my first boat was a 1986 mantra(gull wing)it was a fast and smooth riden boat!I also know two locals here with mantra V-bottoms they are a little older 76 and 78 i think?And one that just bought a 85 (gull wing)so I guess you would say in NC they are all over??I have aslso seen a mantra tunnle at lake james.....(like the one in Toms pic)It was a strait line boat, not much for a lake boat tho?
    I am looking at buyin a 87 Mantra gull wing this week!!!!

All I have ever seen or heard on them is great..They made a mean boat.

looks like a great buy to my!
    Last edited by Just A Jet; 03-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mantra

Here is a pic of the one I had.
    Got it out of Greensboro NC
    The truck is 86 blazer w/355 sbc with 144 holley blower, boat is 86 mantra w/502zz4 with 420 holley blower....Will post close up on the boat later..all i got on his laptop

Last edited by Just A Jet; 03-24-2010 at 11:38 PM.

15. Likes Roadkingat55 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom@JBP View Post
    Fishing/S , Great info and Story on the Mantra I have a customer who is doing a resto on what he belives is a Mantra tunnel I will pass this along ... Tom
    Very cool, can't wait to see how she turns out. Definitely a later model than when Uncle Chuck owned the company.

Just a J, nice looking rig!
    2002 DONZI 28 ZX

17. Likes Matra 1650 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, can't wait to see how she turns out. Definitely a later model than when Uncle Chuck owned the company.

Just a J, nice looking rig!
    Thanks Bud , Talked to him late this week hes trying to figure how to reinstall the "Cap" He remove the deck and now he's faced with the delima of reinstallation He'll probably chime in here I told him about this thread Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, am a complete newbie to this posting stuff. here it goes, have been looking at that mantra tunnel for almost a year. bit the bullet two weeks ago. called tom @ jbp about reattaching the deck, he is one cool informative person, thanks tom. have also been in contact with todd york who owned mantra boats. thanks to you todd. have a computer guru who can show me how to post pics as this project rolls along. thanks to my wife for understanding this insane hobby that we all enjoy. let the fiberglass fly!!!!!! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2525prowler View Post
    hey, am a complete newbie to this posting stuff. here it goes, have been looking at that mantra tunnel for almost a year. bit the bullet two weeks ago. called tom @ jbp about reattaching the deck, he is one cool informative person, thanks tom. have also been in contact with todd york who owned mantra boats. thanks to you todd. have a computer guru who can show me how to post pics as this project rolls along. thanks to my wife for understanding this insane hobby that we all enjoy. let the fiberglass fly!!!!!! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    For the time being heres some more pics for ya (of your project Bud !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast