Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you two even read the thread?

The 260 actually had a slightly different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 302. If I remember right, the 5-bolt bellhousing continued into early 289 production.

Alan, The Capri engine is the 2.8L V6 right?

I'll concede this much to GM, most of the cars they built would accept damned near any engine that came off the line. Big, small, it'd take em all. Ford on the other hand spent most of it's time trying to figure out the best way to make things so utterly different that interchangeability(sp)would prove to be difficult, if not impossible.

You know, the more I think about it Alan, you may be in trouble if you go the L6 route. The L6's had a different frame perch. The 6cyl cars located the mounts further forward and used a different bracket to do so. Not only was it different between engines, but different between models or time periods. I know the V8 mounts from a '67 Mustang wouldn't work on a '74 Maverick so it may be an evolutionary thing.

IMHO Alan, the only thing that will bolt in and go, is whatever was bolted in and went from the factory. Very rarely if ever will you find a powertrain/chassis combination with as much as 40+ years separation that will just bolt together and go.
    --Brian Chandler--
    Sunshine Syndicate Wiseguy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember the 2.8 being a crappy engine. If ya wanna go the V6 route get a Ford 4.0.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShorePounder
    Big, small, it'd take em all.
    Hrmmm, I used to date a girl like that.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ShorePounder
    Did you two even read the thread?

The 260 actually had a slightly different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 302. If I remember right, the 5-bolt bellhousing continued into early 289 production.

Alan, The Capri engine is the 2.8L V6 right?

I'll concede this much to GM, most of the cars they built would accept damned near any engine that came off the line. Big, small, it'd take em all. Ford on the other hand spent most of it's time trying to figure out the best way to make things so utterly different that interchangeability(sp)would prove to be difficult, if not impossible.

You know, the more I think about it Alan, you may be in trouble if you go the L6 route. The L6's had a different frame perch. The 6cyl cars located the mounts further forward and used a different bracket to do so. Not only was it different between engines, but different between models or time periods. I know the V8 mounts from a '67 Mustang wouldn't work on a '74 Maverick so it may be an evolutionary thing.

IMHO Alan, the only thing that will bolt in and go, is whatever was bolted in and went from the factory. Very rarely if ever will you find a powertrain/chassis combination with as much as 40+ years separation that will just bolt together and go.
    Thanks, that's a lot of info At least I know what I need now, I don't want to mess around with this one for long, special fabrication and all that
    I will look around for a 289 or maybe a 302 V8 (as long as they are the same). I'll be going down to look at the car soon, hopefully, and will check on the vin number to see what was in it!

I don't know a lot about bigger motors and even less about the fords, chevy I know a bit but even 90% of those were marine aplications.

I was just looking for something to get the car on the road to take it to and from the workshop but I'll work around it and search for a motor for it!

Thanks guys, I'll report back with more info when I get it and how the car is, what shape it's in etc. and if I decide to go with it. I think it would be a fun project.

Thanks, Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1BadAction, we need to talk

We need to talk about this crossbreeding thing. The greatest thing in the world just happened in the NMCA. You need to go to fasteststreetcar.com and look at the Superbowl Shootout report for last weekend. Cameron Coble put a BBC and glide in a Mustang body and was put against a guy I know, John Kolivas, with a very similar equipped Mustang but with a 302 based small block Ford. Well, Kolivas spanked that azz, in front of God and everybody. I don't think this Chevy thing is such a good idea......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish there was an easier solution. Check around with some guys over there, they may know something I don't about european Fords and powertrain combos. If there's something dimensionally the same as a Windsor V8 from mount to mount you could be in business.

How much of the V8 stuff made it over there over the years?
    --Brian Chandler--
    Sunshine Syndicate Wiseguy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your better off finding a SBF or purchasing and old LTD, Galaxie or truck with a SBF.

The SBC will fit, you must cut the towers, and it's best to have angle plug heads. If you do this you have done none reparable damage to the value of the car. Exh, is a nightmare. Tunnel of fllor will have to be madified unless you use a manual transmission or Powerglide.

I have done this. not worth the trouble, unless you have a engine sitting there ready to go.

Al

My 66 with 302 with GT40 Heads had to rebuild drivers side header, spark plugs were moved forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111-1142a_IMG.JPG  
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Not to worry, something will come up, they are around I just need to find 'em I found the car!

Shorepounder, there's not much in big V8 stuff over here at all, it's mainly a Jap market, a lot of German cars too. Fuel prices have always been much higher here than what you guys were used to, I remember when fuel was cheaper 10 years ago at .85 a litre ($1.08) now it's at 1.16 euro a litre ($1.5) so big engines were not the rage, a big engine here is 3.0 and you would be nuts to own one as your daily driver!

Also 99% of 4x4's, vans, trucks are diesel powered as until recently diesel was WAY cheaper than petrol/gas, it's now more expensive in most places but I don't know, never owned a diesel. The new thing here is running diesel engines on vegitable oil, the cheapo stuff from Lydl

Another restricting factor on the US cars comming over is we drive on the other side of the road (left) and to insure a LHD over here is considerably more unless it's a classic (25 yrs or more) which you can insure for practically nothing.

That being said there was always car nuts that brought the big stuff over anyway for whatever reason, although I am seeing a lot more older american cars on the road lately, and lot's of new ones too, Hummers, Rams, new mustangs, can't imagine what they cost to run.

We also pay road tax which is calculated on engine cyl. capacity, a 5.0 would be whoa, maybe 3k a year on tax Insurance is also based indirectly on engine size/power. This all kind of insured the big US stuff didn't realy take off over here. Driving through mainland Europe is a diferent story, (they drive on right and have dif. tax and insurance regs) you see lots of cool stuff

Anyway thanks guys, I would love to get the car, we'll see how it goes when I go take a look at it, I hope it's in reasonable condition. I hope theres not a big reason why the engine was sold out of it!

Thanks, Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 1964 1/2 Mustang Is A Collectable...

Worth it to keep it Ford powered. That way the car won't need to be altered in the engine compartment or transmission tunnel. The 64 1/2 was an early introduction of the 1965 Mustang The first month of production was May 1964. I know, I had one. The engines that were available were the 170 cu. in. six inline, the 260 V-8 & the 289 V-8. The rarest being the 260, as it was only a couple dollars more for the 289, so everyone bought the 289. In 1965 & 66, the most common engine was the six cylinder, as this car was sold mostly as simple transportation. All six cylinder cars had 4-lug wheels, all V-8 cars had 5-lug wheels. If I were you, I would at least try to install a 302 Ford engine & transmission, to keep it in the Ford family of power, if you can't locate an original year drivetrain. The 302 would be the same exact motor mounts & motor mount location as the original. Don't know about over there, but 302's, even older ones, are a dime a dozen over here in the U.S. Just my .02 AirRide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2