Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Have a sportmaster gearcase on a 97 pro max 225 (polished stainless steel). I know the original purchaser paid an extra $4k for it. What is the difference between this and stock? What are the advantages and disadvantages? New to this sport and trying to figure out what exactly I own.

Running this on a 1990 20.2 Lavey. Gonna need some advice on setting this thing up, but need a little more seat time and opportunity to try props before I can ask informed questions. Only 75mph @ 6100 running solo. I'll be back!

I've learned a ton in the last month just reading this board. Bought the boat for a family cruiser, completely obvlivious to what I had purchased. Stumbled onto this website doing some research on it, and realized this is a different world and it's exciting stuff. Wife not too happy as she sees my adrenaline pumping and my need for speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Ape:
    That gear case is no good.Send it to me and I'll send you my genuine 1987 stock case,with the high perf primer option. ;-)

Look on the S&F home page,on the left column.They have a comparison between it and the Fleetmaster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

How much set back do you have?(jack plate length off of back of boat?)
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Set back

LaveyT;
    Set back is just over eight inches from the transom to the mounting side of the motor mount. Factory, no lift jack.

You've helped me tremendously on set up, driving, and how to get the hop squared away through e-mail about a month ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have friends or know someone in the business to go try different setbacks. It's a little risky purchasing a jack plate in hopes of it being the miracle cure (although all signs and reading point that direction). It appears the prop on the boat is not the right one (trophy 26p). This would seem the least expensive thing to try first.

Am I approaching this wrong? Should the setback be done first? I'm guessing the prop choice would be different with different setback. Defenintely don't want to prop it, change the setback, and then have to purchase a new prop.

Doesn't want to pull a skier up if it's life depended on it. I don't have any problems getting up, but drug the heck out of me to do it (now I know what a fish who can swim 10mph feels like). Less experienced skiers would not be able to make it. This was with two adult men and 30 gallons of fuel. Do you pull skiers with yours?

Any help is always appreciated!

Delta;
    I'll send it right over if you throw in the muffler bearings.

Read the article, and hard for me to believe $4k in a nosecone, bullet, and low water pickup. Is there more to it than that? Harder gears, better tolerances, better bearings?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Sorry Ape.I don't know anything.I'm just the usher,pointing to the place someone is supposed to go!
    Bearings on their way.Throwing in metric crescent wrench as a bonus,Delta

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Show time!

Ape man,Glad your back,did not want to overload you with info the first time around.Glad you have had some success with you Lavey!There is so much to learn in this sport it never gets old.
    I believe you have a ProMax 225.This motor puts out about the same H.P. as my 225H.O. but the Merc LOVES to rev.You should probably use a Chopper prop and use a pitch that lets the motor bump the Rev limiter with a light load on a cool day. I think your motor will rev to 6700rpm.The ProMax is actually closer to 250 h.p. but Mercury actually limits the H.P. with the rev limiter,Thats why they pull so strong upstairs.Low end torque is not a real asset with this motor,however when you use an over the hub (exaust) prop like a Chopper the prop will slip on holeshot and allow you engine to get into its powerband = awsome holeshot.It works well on a Merc because of low volume, high velocity exaust gasses.Many times an OMC will lose grip at hole shot because of high volume, low velocity gases.
    The Sportmaster gearcase is about the most expensive case going.It has the same prop shaft as my custom case.It may not be worth $4000 used,but the good ones go for $2000 and up.You need the one piece propshaft and the heavey duty carrier Brgs this case has for running surfacing props.As far as it being the rite case for your Lavey,You have to do a **** load of testing and let us knowIm sure the original owner paid big bucks for it.
    Lets review,find someone to let you try some props,play with engine altitude,get the revs to 6500-6700,You will be goin 80 and your hole shot should be more than good.Dave
    L.T.