Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with paint

I just got a 1973 sleekcraft 18'. It's in need of a new paint job very badly. I'm going to attempt to do this myself, and I'm looking for some advice. Do I have to use gelcoat to repaint this boat, or can I use high quality automotive paint to get the job done? This isn't going to be in any boat shows or anything. But I DO want it to turn some heads at the lake. Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Sleekcraft

Hi 610, what kind of Sleekcraft do you have. Is it a Kauai???
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked her up this spring

86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Back to your paint job

Yes you can do it and it will look good. Go to www.checkmate-boats.com and visit the overhaul forum. A few of our members just painted boats over the winter. You can get some step by step information and suggestions on what kind of paint and primer to use etc. etc. Adam L has just painted his first boat and it came out nice. 175Checkmate also just painted his boat and it's really sharp. A third member illmatic is painting his now and it's looking good as well. Check out the threads on the 3 boats and they will be a big help in you getting started.
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 05-21-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Paint it up!

Prep is very important to a smooth and durable paint job. I painted a 77 Sleekcraft 20' about 14 years ago using urethane auto paint and primer. (I am a custom painter by trade) I used the hell out of it for 4 or 5 years before trading it in on a bigger boat. I didn't see again, until last fall. I found it for sale in California, it still looked so good I bought it back! other than a few small chips it looks great - the guy I bought it from actually thought it was gelcoat.

Be sure you use a catalyzed urethane or epoxy primer!

Good Luck!

Hobe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before & After

Here's a before and after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B & A.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleekcraft SST

Your boat liiks fantastic. Don't they call it an SST? I talked to the man who now owns the mold for that boat last month. He still custom builds them to this day. His name is Roy F Lewis. We called him to find out some information on the Kauai. He was really nice to talk with.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks!

It's actually an Aristocrat, I'm pretty sure it's the same as a SST from the seam down.
    My uncle was a Sleekcraft Dealer during the 70's and 80's I used to spend the summers at his place in Idaho as a youngster. He lived on a lake and there were always 3 or 4 Sleekcrafts about 20' from the ramp just waitin to get wet. I've been a Sleekcraft junkie every since!
    Last edited by The Bilge Idiot; 05-31-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My other Sleekcraft

here's a before and after of my other Sleekcraft a 26' Ambassador - Big Block Chev, TRS Drive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Before After 02.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your boats look great. I'm not sure of the model I have, but it does have a huge 454 sitting in the back, and it sounds great!! I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them within a day or two. Thanks alot for the advice on the paint. I'll be giving it a shot this fall. I do have another question though. How am I going to get the bottom of the boat? Do I gut it and flip it over and lay it on something, or is there some kind of dolly I can buy or build? Thanks to everyone on this site for their great advice. George