Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Metalflake resurection

Hello I am in the process of restoring 2 Checkmate mx-16s. Both of which came with metalflake getcoats. Well the clear gelcoat is long gone on the decks and the glittery metalflake sticks to your hands when you run your hand over it. So I guess I need to sand it down and re do it. My question is what type of paints or gelcoats or epoxys would be best for redoing a metal flake paint job. I am very familiar with automotive finishes but I understand these are not the the best for boats. Basically I need to lay down a base coat then my flake coats and then a few layer of clear. What products would be most sucessful to achieve a quality metalflake job. Thanks for your time.
    TruckinMatt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe im being to specific, I just need to know what kind of topcoats i can use over whats left of my existing gel coat without worrying about peeling and what not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMatt
    maybe im being to specific, I just need to know what kind of topcoats i can use over whats left of my existing gel coat without worrying about peeling and what not

I would do like you said, base flakes clear, I have did many, never no problem , use good product like PPg , I always use House of Kolor flakes ,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a 2.0 or 2.2 nozzle and compatible needle kit on the gun to get an even spray for the flake. You can get different color clears for the topcoat. Use a smaller nozzle for the clears. it sounds complicated, but the end result will make ya smile

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Matt! Guess at this point you probably already sprayed the boats down, hopefully everything turned out great. I've been around boats my whole life, dad was a boatbuilder so I've pretty much done everything from laying them up to spraying the finish colorsanding & buffing. When it comes to a paintjob, prepping is the key, without a perfect foundation you would be wasting your time & materials. First a hard sanding to rid that dead coat, do your body work, & prime that suface with an epoxy primer, to seal & give you a new hard surface / foundation to base your new paint on. Next, I would recommend for what you are doing three stage paint, would be the most effective way, quick & durable even for salt water if done properly. Application is easy, quick drying times so, masking off for striping or graffic designs is less timely between colors. I myself am partial to the House of Kolors products, so much to choose from, you can really go wild, just a matter of budget .......... this is an investment in your boat that if executed properly will bring it a whole new begining, don't cut corners hear ...... you get what you pay for when it comes to materials, the higher end paints have a much longer life, better rated for harsh weather/environments hot or cold etc. you won't need to be repainting in years! Hey! alot of air pressure 55psi for the flake to lay down nice, they lay down in light coats the best, keep distance & even strokes same direction, burry it in clear at the end , don't try to achieve a top coat finish with the flakes, heavy build up will cause sagging. best of luck, your hard work/effort will pay off when you wetsand & buff to a glass like finish! Peace! FIG
    Last edited by Fast Fig; 08-25-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Fig,
    Will you send me a e-mail? I need to ask you one question...

collett00@comcast.net

Thanks,
    Derrick
    21' Douglas Skater