Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool New member first post

Hi i'm kind of new to boating and need some help calming my boat down at speed. This is my first boat so I have a bunch to learn. I rebuilt the boat over the winter of 2004. I installed new stringer, floor, new wood all around and new vinal. I put it back all stock with no mods. I left it just the way the factory had it set up and was running the 1986 90 merc tower that came on the boat. We had fun with it all last summer but it didn't run fast. This past winter we made some changes. Installed hyd-steering, new gauges adding a water pressure gauge, rewired entire boat, Installed a 6" manual jack plate and a 1988 135 black max with a new laser II. OK I tested it Wednsday and I was happy for the most part. I picked up the 20 mph I was looking for but have chime walk problems to work out. I can't lift the nose at all at WOT or it starts to chime walk like crazy. It was running just over 40 with the 90 tower now running just over 60 but does it with the nose way down. Wish I could bring the nose up and let it air on out. The water pressure is only 5 lb at super slow or at no wake speeds and only 10 lb from just up on plane all the way to WOT. The P-hole shoots a good solid stream of water at all speeds. The prop shaft is 4 and 1/4 below the pad now, I have no scoops, no solid mounts, no nose cone. The prop is a 13 and 3/4 X23 3 blade laserII, The jack plate is adjusted all the way down but motor is mounted in the center holes. Do I just need seat time or do I need to cange some things. My plan is to get the Merc scoop kit lift the motor up 1/2" and retest. I'm told that a 4 blade will really help the chime walk. Any suggestions will be a big help and THANKS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a pic or two

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last summer with stock set up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This spring with the up grades

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boat doesn't have a pad, then you'll have that problem. seat time will help. but its gonna be some experementing. I had an enchanter with no pad, but she was always well behaved.
    Don't lick my boat, It makes it sticky!

Another Hitman for the Sunshine Syndicate!!

2011 Seafox Viper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R.
    If the boat doesn't have a pad, then you'll have that problem. seat time will help. but its gonna be some experementing. I had an enchanter with no pad, but she was always well behaved.
    Hi Jay and yes the enticer has a nice 8" wide flat pad. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor mounts

That would be the first thing I changed. Put in the solid ones. Then you need to lift the motor up. I'm assuming that the LU is stock. Plug the top 3 water intake holes and open up the bottom 2. Then you will be able to lift it up some and still get decent water pressure.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help Mike. I plan on Re-testing on Sunday if all goes well. I want to try and sort out the water pressure problem first.
    Last edited by 86ENTICER; 04-21-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plug Size ?

Please tell me the plug size and the pitch of the tap that will work best for installing Water pick up plugs on my Merc Black Max . You do tap them out and install pipe plugs with a dab of semi-perm thread locker correct????
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the holes and size them. I think its an 1/8th inch pipe tape and pipe plug.
    Don't lick my boat, It makes it sticky!

Another Hitman for the Sunshine Syndicate!!

2011 Seafox Viper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to S&F

It all depends on whatcha want to do with the boat. The Enticer is no light hull to begin with, but, if the primary goal is speed, the following items help, in the order that I would buy them. (Not god, just my .02)

1. Solid Motor mounts, hydraulic steering doesn't stop the motor from quivering like jelly under load.
    2. A Nice 24" Chopper prop and ya can get one with extra cup. Once ya start jacking the motor, she'll wind out a bit more.
    3. Low later pickups, for the speeds you'll get, a Bob's nosecone WELDED is all you will need to raise the motor, and ya can't do that plugging holes.
    4. Give it at least 6" of setback on a bracket and it will let you jack the motor higher
    5. Setup & seat time....Once all the above are done, you will need to learn to drive it up on the pad and keep it there. Seems scary or impossible at first, but you can predict the boats attitude with seat time and practice.

I started out with pad vees when I was younger, a good experience to have, especially when the pad guys want to pick on me for flying with training wheels
    Last edited by Trikki1010; 04-22-2006 at 07:34 AM.
    Eldest Moron Brother
    SOLD 95 Euroski
    99 2.5 280+

Delta w/ 75 Stinger 55+

RIP RPM Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trikki1010

Thank you!
    86 Checkmate Enticer 6' jack plate hyd-steering 2.0 merc cowl vents low water scoops laser II floor stringers vinyl gauges and wiring all new (BOAT IS SOLD) 78 CVX20 Jet Project in the works BBC conversion. SML SUPERJETS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest losing the Laser...

...my C-Mate tended to chinewalk with small eared props and they wouldn't get the bow up without chine walk setting in. I also found the Checkmates are heavy enough so they don't like to plane very well with chopper props- which ticked me off since I had 2 good reworked SRX choppers from a previous ride. I found the Tempest props were the quickest, and the 4 blade Trophy Plus was easiest to drive. Both of these will get your bow up without excessive trim- and excessive trim will make a Checkmate chinewalk. I suggest trying some different props before you do anything else other than checking your steering to make dead sure that it has no slack or play in it. If your find the steering torquing to one side at top speed, then add a torque tab to the skeg- since the motor is crabbing to one side under the torque, and this alone will set up chine walking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks Staylor

The new hyd-steering seems to be AOK. It has no bad torque steer at WOT and seems to be good and tight with no free play. I can let go of the wheel at 50 mph and it tracks fine. I put a new trim tab on and adjusted it to zero when the motor was changed. Question???? I can't seem to find an online store to order a Merc water inlet scoop kit from. I think the Merc part number is 17280A 2. Does any one use this and where did you order it from. "Thanks for all the help" Fred

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch your water pressure, but try raising the motor. The boat will be more stable with the motor raised a few inches.

I'd try a trophy just because there are lots around.

I think you need a water pump.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast