Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

68 Charger RT wiring question?

My buddy Jim is building a 68 RT resto rod. We've been working on it for two years now. Were doing the wiring and ran into something that both of us are unsure of. I built a custom aluminum dash for it using Autometer gauges but we use NOS switches and the headlight switch is the problem. Do any of you guys know if the front running lights go out when you turn on the headlights? We've gone though the harness and the all the paper work we have and it looks like that's the way it was wired? The other running lights stay on and work the way they should but the front go out. I had a 69 roadrunner and he had a 68 rt over 30 years ago but we can't remember if that's the way they setup the lights way back then. We can wire them to stay on by running the front lights to the same post as the back ones, But it would be nice to know if we have something screwed up before we button up the dash. As soon as we get done I'll post some shots of this ride, You guys will love it.
    DaveW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well not sure about back in 68, but now if your lights are on all running lights must be on OR ticket as in fine.
    got pics?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse
    My buddy Jim is building a 68 RT resto rod. We've been working on it for two years now. Were doing the wiring and ran into something that both of us are unsure of. I built a custom aluminum dash for it using Autometer gauges but we use NOS switches and the headlight switch is the problem. Do any of you guys know if the front running lights go out when you turn on the headlights? We've gone though the harness and the all the paper work we have and it looks like that's the way it was wired? The other running lights stay on and work the way they should but the front go out. I had a 69 roadrunner and he had a 68 rt over 30 years ago but we can't remember if that's the way they setup the lights way back then. We can wire them to stay on by running the front lights to the same post as the back ones, But it would be nice to know if we have something screwed up before we button up the dash. As soon as we get done I'll post some shots of this ride, You guys will love it.
    I owned a new 68 Charger and I am sure that the running lights, called parking lights then, did go off when the headlights were turned on. Good luck on the project.

Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '65 Mustang's amber lights in the front went out when you turned on the headlights. I guess it was the way they did it around that time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DOT changed the law, but I can't remember if it was 68 or 69. The parking lights had to be on with the headlamps. It was considered a safety enhancement.

Pete
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1968 Dodge cornet R/T and the running lights go out when I turn on head lights

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a shot of it? 440 6pack? 426?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've got most of the bugs out of the car now. He's taking it in to the front end shop today. All it needs is the inside door panels back and we should be about done. I'll get some photos posted pretty soon. The engine is a built 440 with a new Edelbrock fuel injection setup and Dart heads. One of the cool parts I made for him is the way we moved the vintage air compresser below the alt. you can hardly tell it has air conditioning. Vintage air didn't think it could be done, I made new aluminum brackets, spacers, ect. and after a little custom hose work it came out great.
    DaveW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's some shots of the car that I snapped today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mvc-266f.jpg   Mvc-253f.jpg   Mvc-255f.jpg  
    DaveW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a shot of the dash when it was in my shop and now in the car. The three piece dash is all made from 1/2 aluminum and was machined so we didn't alter the panel behind it. I'll get some shots of the engine as soon as I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mvc-072f.jpg   Mvc-264f.jpg  
    DaveW