Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Try Dennis Kirk , Tucker Rocky , maybe some cult RD forums out there or I can make them just need some info .
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found 'em - HVCylce has em for $40!

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Tom Foley;160388 . Dont forget ..a lot of technology separates the 60's from the late seventies in development . I realize you weren't born yet but , guys were going very fast in the 70's !![/QUOTE]

thread brings back some great memories! had lots of 2 stroke tripples, but the most exciting was 1 350 kaw, which was built by mike merdoch, it would spank the early 4 cyl hondas & bikes with much more cc's,handled & stoped better than the 500 & 750 tripples that my dad & i had, also had a 350 kaw avenger, rotary valve intake ,very quick for its day but would spit two stroke oil all over the chick on the back. good thread fun era when less than a grand could buy 12 sec. streetbike from the showroom floor!!
    LTB OLDGUY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread makes me want to buy something old and stinky.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Isn't it funny how your memory can fool you?? Those old two-strokes didn't handle, had no brakes and were only fast compared to the overweight pig four-strokes that Honda was making at the time. For your efforts, you had 750 Kawasakis that turned into 500's reasonably often due to fouled spark plugs. When they did run well, and you drove them hard, they got 18 mpg (yes, really). The carbs leaked, the ignition systems were crap (hence the fouled plugs).. For some reason, the Yamaha RD's were a bit more reliable than the Kawasaki triples.. and the Suzuki two-strokes were probably the most reliable of all.. And what did Suzuki get for making the best bike?? Hmmmm. Know anybody looking for a GT380 or GT550? Me neither.. We all need to temper our enthusiasm for these old pieces of crap..

Anybody know where I can find a '72 350 S2? I'll pay good money for a nice one...
    Currently involved in activity that can only break one piston at a time......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with the Suzuki's, even the water buffalo 750, was that nobody wanted one. If you wanted a fast two stroke, Kaw was the king....unless you dipped into the 350's. Then it was Yamaha.
    Regarding fouled plugs on the Kaws...maybe I was a lucky exception but my NEW 500 triple didn't foul a plug the whole time I owned it..but then again, I ran it pretty hard. I thought I had a fouled plug recently on my current 750 triple but the plug wire was loose on the plug....those plugs have been in there for five years.
    Interested in a 350 Kaw?? I just picked up a 72 version. All there and cosmetically "decent." The red paint is weak but all else is pretty nice. I bought it from a trusted friend of a trusted friend.....The seller inherited it from his father-in-law back in the mid 70's. He drove it off and on until two years ago and parked it. Would need some playing with to get it running (carbs feel stuck) but he said it was running good. He even put new tires on it before parking. I just did a quick walkaround, oaded it in the truck and stuck it in myt shed until I decide what to do with it. If interested, send me an email at cclein@comcast.net. I don't get on here too often anymore due to having to wade through the political nutjobs....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledude2 View Post
    Problem with the Suzuki's, even the water buffalo 750, was that nobody wanted one. If you wanted a fast two stroke, Kaw was the king....unless you dipped into the 350's. Then it was Yamaha.
    Regarding fouled plugs on the Kaws...maybe I was a lucky exception but my NEW 500 triple didn't foul a plug the whole time I owned it..but then again, I ran it pretty hard. I thought I had a fouled plug recently on my current 750 triple but the plug wire was loose on the plug....those plugs have been in there for five years.
    Interested in a 350 Kaw?? I just picked up a 72 version. All there and cosmetically "decent." The red paint is weak but all else is pretty nice. I bought it from a trusted friend of a trusted friend.....The seller inherited it from his father-in-law back in the mid 70's. He drove it off and on until two years ago and parked it. Would need some playing with to get it running (carbs feel stuck) but he said it was running good. He even put new tires on it before parking. I just did a quick walkaround, oaded it in the truck and stuck it in myt shed until I decide what to do with it. If interested, send me an email at cclein@comcast.net. I don't get on here too often anymore due to having to wade through the political nutjobs....

I sent you an email, but it bounced. I'd be interested in talking about it. You might be a long way away to pick up a project bike, but then again..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 750 had no fouling problems either It was understood back then that the triples had a pretty strong ignition system.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-1 View Post
    I sent you an email, but it bounced. I'd be interested in talking about it. You might be a long way away to pick up a project bike, but then again..
    Hmmmm....don't know why the email bounced????? Try it again???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it again.... Who knows?

Anyway.. So it needs a card re-build? That's no big deal if they're not just corroded away. Does it turn over freely? Just wondering if I'm looking at a weekend trying to get it running or it's a come-completely-apart project? How do the pipes look?

My dad had a '72 S2.. I was pretty young then, but it was my first high speed motorcycle experience. 95 mph down an airport runway in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. It was pretty cool for a 13-year-old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-1 View Post
    Did it again.... Who knows?

Anyway.. So it needs a card re-build? That's no big deal if they're not just corroded away. Does it turn over freely? Just wondering if I'm looking at a weekend trying to get it running or it's a come-completely-apart project? How do the pipes look?

My dad had a '72 S2.. I was pretty young then, but it was my first high speed motorcycle experience. 95 mph down an airport runway in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. It was pretty cool for a 13-year-old.
    The guy I bought it from is a good friend of a good friend and seemed like a "standup" guy. He said he parked it in 2007 (plate is still on it) shortly after putting on new tires. It's all there including original pipes (with gummy baffles). The only thing missing is the handrail that goes around the back of the seat. It was replaced with a luggage rack. I'm guessing an H2 part is the same but haven't checked yet.
    I might tackle the carbs, throw my h2 battery in it, add some fresh gas and see what happens. Of course, that'll add to the cost. Time is at a premium right now but I'll try and get some pics soon after cleaning it up. A good detail would help it a lot.
    On a sidenote, a guy at work recently came to me and said he had three bikes that his son brought home years ago to "fix" and he wanted them out of his garage. The guy had no idea what they were. I asked,"Do any of them say Indian or Cyclone or????" Turned out they were a junk CBR600, a 72 Honda 350 and a Suzuki RM dirtbike (looks like about 100CC). They were free so I took them. More stuff laying around and taking up valuable real estate. I sent you a PM with my work email address.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12