Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    Your hull has the same bottom as an HST and there are lots of threads here about inspecting and fixing an HST that will help you understand how they were made and what (usually) needs to be fixed.

Try these:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?45493
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?165072
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?166924

On the HST there is a long "box" full of foam that runs the length of the sponsons. The bottom of the "box" is just above the drain plug and the top of the "box" is the underside of the floor just outside the cockpit. That foam can get soaked; but mine wasn't.

Attachment 357145
    The HST and AE, although similar, are in fact different. Differences being the relation between centre sponson and outers. And not all AE's were built the same... But generally, the HST centre sponson will be lower than the outers, an AE will be level or slightly higher than the outers. And, if I remember correctly (Panther150 correct me if I'm wrong) the AE doesn't have the "tunnel extensions" stuck out the back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did this one come from the Ottawa area? Specifically Carp? Or Northern Ontario, Sudbury/North Bay?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you answered the question i didn't know how to ask, thank you. he has the proper skill set and mindset for these boats i think i heard you say.

that's what i am looking for is someone to talk to and better understand honestly this new space.

i don't mind spending the money or doing the work, just want to work with straight up people and spend energy wisely where possible. thank you again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't come from the ottawa area. supposed story is sudbury, to kawartha lakes, to north of port perry then back down to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure I know the boat already, if it was rigged for a Yamaha. It will more than likely need a lot of work, but Chris will treat you (and the boat) right and you'll have a real runner on your hands when he's done! Stick with it, they're nice hulls!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ae-21's do have the same extension pods out back. They like big setback as stated above. Chris Murphy would be money well spent here. Great to have another AE-21 around. These hulls are very weight sensitive, they hate weight, the lighter you can make it , the better.
    Last edited by panther150; 10-12-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    1993 Cougar 21ft MTR Superbender SHO

7. Likes idvette liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panther150 View Post
    the ae-21's do have the same extension pods out back. They like big setback as stated above. Chris Murphy would be money well spent here. Great to have another AE-21 around. These hulls are very weight sensitive, they hate weight, the lighter you can make it , the better.
    HSTs are the same way about weight. But for what weight you do have try and get it as far back in the boat as possible.
    1989 Hydrostream HST
    1989 Actioncraft Flatsmaster SE
    2006 Baycraft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved my front seats back almost 12" for this reason, more legroom in the front seat and better handling, faster hull.
    1993 Cougar 21ft MTR Superbender SHO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm putting the cart before the horse here, but i stumbled across a 2.4 bridgeport efi (not sure of exact year yet) yesterday for "desperate" sale...

if this old soggy girl ends up loosing some weight, i'm thinking that the bp efi would push it somewhere low eighties on average with right prop and set up???

i'm thinking that these hulls need closer to 300+ hp to get the bigger numbers and what i would ultimately want, would that sort of be where they're at in your opinions?

ultimate question: i'm going to be getting into this game with or without this hull, it's winter, what would be the price for a bp efi whether you needed one or not that you just couldn't walk away from (assuming wet test good, good compression, no leak down, nosecone, controls and gauges)?
    Last edited by dusty69camaro; 10-14-2016 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hst which weighs approx 800lbs blows out at 86mph. All stock 200 mercury. Stock gearcase without lwp. Should run 90easy with coned lower and engine jacked (now 3" below).

If you can make it light enough these can run good...

Also the hull of mine should benefit much by blueprinting. Lots of dings and chips.
    http://www.geocities.com/fletcher_arrowbeau

Fletcher 17F6
    Hydrostream HST 20F

12. Thanks dusty69camaro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you weigh that on the trlr.? It will run really well into the 90's with a bridgeport,but buying any merc. race motor that old is a crapshoot, they run best on todays fuel with stock 200 heads at around 130 psi, you can shave em from there to up to a max of 145. They cost alot of $ to re nic or even sleeve. Rings are ridiculous, i dont think i will rebuild any of mine anymore unless i sleeve all 6 with steel bores, they are a time bomb in stock used cond. Unless it has paperwork to prove the internals were done by a competent shop.you would be better off to buy a 225 promax and 16" of setback. You prolly dont know jaques (dompie) on the board, but he has been playing with setup on his hst, for a couple years and he texted dave while we were fishing saturday, after trying a 30p prop, he finally hit 100mph, with a 225 carb opti.your ae will do that with a 260 and good setup.i'm finally getting my ae 21's into the shop this winter, (thats why i know you dont have any of the 4 ottawa ae's) yours is the northern ont gray stripe boat, i think,all 4 i know of in Ott. have black stripes . Your transom is likely rock solid,you'll need to pull all the foam and redo the knees, stringers and the top cap to deck connections more than likely. They are the easiest of hulls to do, the only core is in the pad. You can easily take some samples. I'll bet it is nice and dry. That part of them was laid up pretty good. And i agree that Mr V8, mark nowak did alot of research when he redid his hull, he especially researched the pad in relation to the sponsons with some experts, and added an inch to his. I plan to pick his brain a bit on that this winter.good luck and have fun rebuilding her.

14. Thanks v8chargerdl, dusty69camaro thanked for this post
    Likes v8chargerdl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankink View Post
    Sponsons I Drilled out 1/2 holes at different points in sponsor and then stuck a dry stick down to the bottom. Let it sit a while and if their was dampness I would see it in the stick.

As for the subfloor the HST I believe has a different layout than the AE I think. Behind the back seat the floor drops down over the center pad/core so it is only a few inches above the core. This is where the gas tank and battery typically is. I replaced that along with the main floor.
    just pull the foam out, there are so many better ways to stiffen the sponsons , with todays materials, that won't hold water, nor waste all that space.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re AE-21 . It would my pleasure to help you guys out with your AE-21 . You are more than welcome to come over to the house and see the set up and mods on the AE-21. We can take it for a ride weather permitting . keep the wet side down

" STRICTLY OMC "

Hydrostream Vulture
    Summerford STV SRV
    STV SPRINT
    Charger STV

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Varmint;2901323]Did you weigh that on the trlr.? It will run really well into the 90's with a bridgeport,but buying any merc. race motor that old is a crapshoot, they run best on todays fuel with stock 200 heads at around 130 psi, you can shave em from there to up to a max of 145.

no, not on trailer. it was 1,400 lbs by itself unfortunately.

i have been out to see murph and you are pretty much on the money structurally. the core is overall good, but a little soft in one area so will probably do that too, as well as foam, stringers and knees. And yes, it's from northern ontario. so i guess i've made the decision to move forward with the boat so will be looking for offset and motor now.

nice to hear your thoughts on the bridgeports...not what i want to hear but it's what the little voice inside my head keeps telling me too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v8chargerdl View Post
    Re AE-21 . It would my pleasure to help you guys out with your AE-21 . You are more than welcome to come over to the house and see the set up and mods on the AE-21. We can take it for a ride weather permitting . keep the wet side down
    i would love to take you up on that opportunity, to learn more from your experience with this boat.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast