Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to this website?

So I started coming to this website around 2008 and became a member in 2011 and at the time I thought it was great. Always a bunch of cool posts of people doing things and events, and what I enjoyed the most a bunch of cool used parts for sale as well as boats.

I've come on this site at least once a day every single day maybe several times a day since 2011.

As of lately it seems this site is slowing down, or the membership isnt here with the typical guys who used to post a bunch and make it fun to read.. I can rattle off a million usernames but it just seems like its dormant almost like the checkmate board or some specific car forums Ive been a member of where you can come on and its just alot of the same.

So is it just me seeing this? Is it facebook taking away from the substance of S&F? Is it the costs of new motors and death of two strokes?

Seems all you read on here anymore is about someones old frankenmotor overheating etc.

Where are the build threads, wheres the how to posts, and more importantly where are the articles about boat of the month with the write ups, or something more interesting than what makes it to the cover.. Thinking of the old hot boat magazines we used to get

I dont know - sure I will get flamed for this but I honestly would like to see the site return to what it once was

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid book took over the planet Everyone has become stupid book/cell phone zombies. Call me old fashioned if you want but this site is as far as my social media needs go I've never joined SB and never will. From what iv'e been told most people post most of their boating experiences,pics,builds,conversation etc on SB. Hell more often than not people post a link here to their pics on SB. WTF?

It also seems groups of boaters come and go from this site. I joined in 2003 and have seen several different groups of people come and go. Its like a cycle. Definitely not like the early 2000's. I still love the site though. Love the new stuff going on in outboards and new boat construction techniques etc. Of course there's always going to be the trolls and know it all's but that's everywhere not just here and in hot boating. Another thing was the economy starting around 2007-2008. A lot of people lost a lot and boats were the first thing to go in tuff times. That lasted a few long years and slowed things down here.

Still want to say thanks Greg for keeping it going
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Facebook, the downfall of civilization.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really don’t get the draw of Facebook for what we do here. Information isn’t archived in a meaningful way. Something you saw a few days ago is lost under piles of useless drivel! I have Facebook, but I use it primarily to keep in touch with relatives. I don’t post stuff regularly.

This is where I come for my social media needs!!!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno much, but the market has definitely moved in the direction of 4-strokes but you got a crowd that generally dislikes them. I think that discourages the guys with 4-strokes from posting much or even joining up. Plus the same group used to be the ones who were modifying and pioneering....which generated excitement to move forward and promotes others to try stuff, but they aren't doing it with the 4-strokes. The result is only a handful in the world are modifying new engines and pushing the performance envelope. I know I look to oso, BBC, and tht when looking for info on my 400r. I sincerely appreciate the guidance I've received from the site, but the 400r doesn't get much air time here.

So here we are with the most powerful merc ob ever built with a heavy duty purpose-built sportmaster, the whole package being extremely user-friendly, reliable, and fuel efficient. We have 350+ hp outboards from 4 different manufacturers (when has that ever happened??). You got a light weight 250 Yamaha 4-stroke with a factory LWP lower unit, and a swarm of rumors around a light-weight, powerful 4-stroke that sounds like a corvette....and yet the performance crowd still doesn't like them. Much like cars, this could be THE best time for boating performance in history based on the hardware available, but only if we embrace it.

The 2.5 is an awesome engine but every different combination has been done and it's a dying platform. I don't think there's much new to try or learn with it, and the site will eventually die if it doesn't move on to the newer stuff.

Just my opinion speaking as an infrequent poster for the reasons above. Sorry if this offends anyone.

Edit: I do agree about FB though.
    Last edited by engineermike; 05-16-2018 at 06:30 PM.

7. Likes Jamie Nichols, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never left, I hate Facebook too much garbage on it, this is my nightly get away from the problems in life just like running across a glass calm lake WFO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike I agree there was a 4 stroke Yamaha at river ranch on a euro that I would love to know more about and see more pictures of it.

10. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss the days of build threads by Kevin. Smack talk by the LTB Boys, the T. rex threads and the beefs by T-Rex. Robbie’s crazy posts and Parker’s 2am posts. The guys selling new stuff like Gary’s ez foot or cool water products. Seems like this was huge in 2.5 era

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You 4 stroke guys just need to post up, FTW!!! If you don’t post up, you will continue to be in the minority...

Maybe the Low Emissions Outboards and Four Stroke forum should be renamed the Four Stroke and Low Emissions Outboards forum!!! How about it Greg, the 4-stroke’s time has come...

I know that my budget doesn’t stretch nearly far enough to afford a new motor, so the 4 stroke life is a ways off for me yet. I mess with the old 2.0’s because they’re free or nearly so nowadays. One day I’ll scrape together my cobbled version of a 225 promax!
    Josh Peterson

13. Likes W2F a V-King, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiestckl View Post
    Miss the days of build threads by Kevin. Smack talk by the LTB Boys, the T. rex threads and the beefs by T-Rex. Robbie’s crazy posts and Parker’s 2am posts. The guys selling new stuff like Gary’s ez foot or cool water products. Seems like this was huge in 2.5 era
    We still have the Captain hanging around. I sure do hate that ol’ T-rex gave up on the outboard game! He was my 2 liter hero. James Perry still comes around some, I miss Jay Smith’s posts. Good stuff. There are several others, Rock, Wildman, Racer...

I guess everything is cyclical...
    Josh Peterson

15. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m holding out to see what to power euro with until Friday

17. Likes nitro_rat, JPEROG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiestckl View Post
    I’m holding out to see what to power euro with until Friday
    FTW! I keep telling one of my buddies THIS.... What an awesome combo that would be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camaroz28 never really embraced the LS1, so LS1tech popped up and took over. Same happened with f150forum with ecoboost performance stuff. Same happened with a number of mustang sites with the coyote so mustang6g came outta nowhere. Etc...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21. Likes rock, specboatops liked this post
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast