Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verado ECM can you?

Can you take a used Verado ECM from say a 275 and put it on 250 ? or any higher powered ECM and put it on a lower HP to bring it up to that hp. Is it plug and play or must the ECM's be flashed to make more HP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use-ta-could ... until the mothership decided that they still own your motor long after it's paid for and the wty has run out ... they have even enlisted the help of the U.S. Gov to help prosecute you ..

Hey bud , whatcha in for ... workin on my outboard motor ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is factory programming what is the arrestable or litigious offense ? The factory ECM puts out 350hp to US standards, so does the 300HP. As long as you are not changing the "FACTORY" set tuning where is the issue BESIDES that fact that it would tic Mercury off that people could turn there 250 into a 300 and not buy another motor from Mercury . So are the ECM's plug and play ? Can you take a 300Hp and drop a 350 Hp on and go regardless of Mercury or the gov

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did look this up about a half year ago
    What it said was that your not allowed to modify the factory tuning in any way that would change the emissions
    You enter a gray area by installing a factory unmodified ecu of more horse power or installing an aftermarket ecu
    As this would be a non factory ecu

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    I did look this up about a half year ago
    What it said was that your not allowed to modify the factory tuning in any way that would change the emissions
    You enter a gray area by installing a factory unmodified ecu of more horse power or installing an aftermarket ecu
    As this would be a non factory ecu
    But you also agree to not modify the engine in any way that would change its emissions when you purchase it. It says that in your owner's manual. So changing ECMs would do that. Although they are all factory parts, its is not allowed by mercury. No merc tech can do it and no merc shop could work on it afterwards. Even from the 80s and 90s the merc owner's manuals say that ownership of the outboard implies that you are consenting to not modify it, and that modifications are not allowed by the EPA. You have to leave it bone stock.

Say like a honda civic: they come turbo and natural. But if you buy the turbo stuff from honda and ECM and all that and bolt it on a naturally aspirated engine then it will not pass emissions (at least in California). Even if they are factory parts they still change emissions from when it left the factory. I think its BS, but thats how it is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is motor cycles and atb, snowscooter
    Anything 2005 and older should be okay for recreation
    Dumpsterdiving is an honoroble way of getting horse power
    Or buying a Mercsla! 🤔
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210617-221102.png  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not buying a motor from Mercury. I have not agreed to anything. I'm looking for a used mercury verado with a 30" shaft. My boat requires 350hp. if I can find a 300 to my liking and I can swap ECM's to 350 then it makes searching for a motor more plentiful. I would not just be looking for a 30" 350 then. I actually care not about Mercury or the gov. Neither will ever see my motor. Nor would I be polluting the air as it is FACTORY tuning which is good for the planet. What I really need to know is if it is plug and play or does a merc tech computer have to sinc the ECM to the rest of the motor.
    Last edited by Narcoholic; 06-17-2021 at 04:24 PM.

8. Likes Forkin' Crazy, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narcoholic View Post
    I'm not buying a motor from Mercury. I have not agreed to anything. I'm looking for a used mercury verado with a 30" shaft. My boat requires 350hp. if I can find a 300 to my liking and I can swap ECM's to 350 then it makes searching for a motor more plentiful. I would not just be looking for a 30" 350 then. I actually care not about Mercury or the gov. Neither will ever see my motor. Nor would I be polluting the air as it is FACTORY tuning which is good for the planet. What I really need to know is if it is plug and play or does a merc tech computer have to sinc the ECM to the rest of the motor.
    Oh yeah, thats a way different question. I have no idea on that. And I am on the same page as you no one is gonna see my motor and I am not hurting the environment...but that one day when someone drunk runs into your boat and you have to make an insurance claim...then your insurance requires a marine survey inspection and everything goes downhill. Just sayin cause it does happen. I hope someone on here has the info you need as to plug/play or not. I don't do verados, so I have no idea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narcoholic, if I recall correctly the 200-275 L6 verados were all mechanically identical. The 300 was mechanically different and the 350sci was different still. Furthermore, the more recent 350, 400M, and 400R have identical powerheads but they are different from the 350sci. Based on mechanical difference, I wouldn’t try to convert anything to a higher power level using just an ECM that isn’t mechanically the same.

11. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much , That is the answer I was looking for, So i'm back to basic 350 searching or twin 200-250 opti's

13. Likes 25two.stroke, engineermike liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't buy motor's from the mothership , it's bad enough I have to buy "some" parts from them ..

As I have asked before .. where is the marine vehicle inspection station .. ???

What emissions parts will they be looking for that have been removed / altered .. ???

See they could have had dealers check for altered PCM's on engines under wty. But no, they want to rule everybody .. even guy who own motors that they no longer make parts for .. **** them POS cowards ...

This thread is about the lower power shrimp heads . I'm no electronics geek , so I'm not well versed on how to B+E a fagtory locked PCM .. however if I had a shrimpy .. I'd slot the crank trigger eye , shim up the blow off valve and turn up the fuel pressure .For fine tuning I'd wire up a potentiometer from the dash to the IAT sensor .. Ya know .. basic old timey *common sense* hot-rod knowledge ...

Chaz= thinkin , *common sense* is not very common these days ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont blame Merc, its the same for all manufacturers, its the EPA and the law
    You can pay for a test and get certification for mods, the law allows that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you could pay for a ECM "test" on a certain ECM lets call it your race only computer, and then when not racing swap in your factory ECM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely understand .... I was just hoping for something as easy as ECM swaps. I'm not really trying to hop up my boat, I want reliability and no issues, and i had heard that the certain motors were all the same with just different tuning. I did not know which motors were the same, I mean if 300's were actually the same as 350's that would have made life easier for me. You know what else I'd like to know is why do Verado's lose so much compression from so little hours ? Do their rings suck or are the cylinders bad ? Or is it valve train.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely understand .... I was just hoping for something as easy as ECM swaps. I'm not really trying to hop up my boat, I want reliability and no issues, and i had heard that the certain motors were all the same with just different tuning. I did not know which motors were the same, I mean if 300's were actually the same as 350's that would have made life easier for me. You know what else I'd like to know is why do Verado's lose so much compression from so little hours ? Do their rings suck or are the cylinders bad ? Or is it valve train.

Unless the law has changed if you can prove your engine is race only its exempt.
    That rules out a modded shifting production engines

19. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast