Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haven’t been whacked with a crutch yet—— only because I kept at least six foot away at all times. No, I haven’t done The Nah, Na, Nan na Na, Na, yet——— need to be outside in clear space and non reachable, feeling a lot braver than I do at the minute.
    The Boss is in bed reading at the moment——- I’ll give her a couple of hours to settle down, then I’ll call it a day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And she has never picked up your tablet and read scream and fly?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    And she has never picked up your tablet and read scream and fly?
    Never ever Pilgrim——— The iPad is mine and mine alone and would be stuck completely up my rectum perchance she should ever come across it.
    However, the Duchess does have her very own “Computer room”——- fully equipped with a cinema screen sized APPLEMAC, which is hers alone ———— she plays it like Paderewski on a piano, it also doubles as the “Art Room” and is where she does her painting.
    Why on earth would she need to peruse my iPad Pro?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been perusing the “Missing Marathons” thread——-that brought back memories I can tell you.
    Loved marathon racing best———— I would travel halfway across the world to take part in one. Brought out ALL the boatracers——— the factories and their teams——— wealthy owners———ambitious amateurs——- cranks and crazies with stupid futuristic equipment that didn’t have a snowballs chance in hell———- yet they came, they gathered, they competed, they had fun!

my own view on a Marathon is ——- a long distance boat race over an extended period of time !
    Pie, Elsinore 500 ————-Paris 6 Hours——— Berlin 6 Hours———- Amsterdam 3 Hours———- Milan 3 Hours——- Rouen 24 Hours——— Chasewater 24 Hours —— and the Chasewater 500. Parker and Havasu

Offshore had its own set of Marathons, Miami-Nassau——- Cowes Torquay——- , London Monte Carlo to mention just a few.
    I don’t ever remember the bitching———-only the help and camaraderie that was always there ——hells teeth, I can remember selling the bedroom furniture to raise enough dinero to go to Paris one year.
    Here I am today, fifty years on, remembering the most exciting times of my life——— along with some of the saddest memories.
    First time I ever met Lynne and Billy Seebold was Havasu ‘69 —— he turned up in a black Caddi tugging a Jones Tunnel called “OLD BLUE” ——- think he’d just come back from honemooning in Mexico.
    Parked next to him was Art Kennedy with a green Jones——- his dad was crew chief.
    Renato and the Rasinis ( who I’d known for years) were there.
    Guy in a Boston with a little motor and a lunch box (Cooney I think—— he finished the race) .
    Close to one hundred boats started that race. That was the size of the field in most Marathons in those long ago days.
    Yet here we are with more boats being produced than ever————-more guys (and girls) wanting to race than ever before and what do we have—————- I’ll tell you what we have, all over the world!!!

In circuit racing————- doesn’t matter which country or continent it’s happening———- the format is the same————- three or four heats, of three to ten laps.?

Offshore racing the same—————- bigger boats, bigger engines, more noise———- for every bit of ten minutes (if you’re lucky) —————— Super boats have as many as six at a time, with thousands of horsepower ————sometimes we have as many as two actually racing at the finish.

Key West is the classic example of this———— like a circus and fairground rolled into one——- great spectacle ! Pity the racing doesn’t reach the same standard of excellence,

Its chucking it down outside———— I had a full battery on the iPad ———- and I was generally pissed off at the world————- thought I might share it with you——— enjoy the rest of your weekend !

5. Thanks GENE LANHAM, powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well——— seems like nobody agrees or disagrees!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Been perusing the “Missing Marathons” thread——-that brought back memories I can tell you.
    Loved marathon racing best———— I would travel halfway across the world to take part in one. Brought out ALL the boatracers——— the factories and their teams——— wealthy owners———ambitious amateurs——- cranks and crazies with stupid futuristic equipment that didn’t have a snowballs chance in hell———- yet they came, they gathered, they competed, they had fun!

enjoy the rest of your weekend !
    Jackie--it must be and 'Age Related' passion. And you and I are probably setting records in that class.

I was lucky to live in South Florida, the Marathon Capital of The World'?? Gold Coast--PHYC--Sandy Shoes--Marin Stadium--Six Hour--Nine Hour--Roaring 100--Bahamas 500--Key West- Miami/Nassau--sure i've skipped some--and lucky to have been able to participate in them all--going back 64 years!!

8. Likes Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Jackie--it must be and 'Age Related' passion. And you and I are probably setting records in that class.

I was lucky to live in South Florida, the Marathon Capital of The World'?? Gold Coast--PHYC--Sandy Shoes--Marin Stadium--Six Hour--Nine Hour--Roaring 100--Bahamas 500--Key West- Miami/Nassau--sure i've skipped some--and lucky to have been able to participate in them all--going back 64 years!!

Isnt it great to know we were there at the very beginning Gene————- When I first read “SPEED N SPRAY “I knew I had to get to America somehow and get involved in all the stuff I only read about.
    Vapour Trails and the very weird MISTER RICKIE———- Mouth of the South——- Walt Yarborough———— Sirois, Pruett, Rocky Aokl, Jim Hauenstien, The Kramer’s——Rolla, Scottie, Molinari, Seebold, Velden The Rasinis, Ridgell,Duckworth plus hundreds more that made up the history of powerboat racing.
    We had lots of dark and devious characters in powerboating in the the UK——- was quick to realise they were in abundance in the USA————— but that’s all for a later day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the question begs—————— since the beginning of the annals of powerboating, there were “MARATHONS” —— where did they all go to? and why have we deteriorated to nothing but ten minutes heats in every class of the sport.
    Surely it can’t be that motors are not reliable any more———- dammit, all you have to do, is keep em off the limit————- outboards and inboards with today’s technology should last forever.
    Hells teeth———- I remember the claims the only reason the wankel broke was because the rotor wore out ———— but with today’s know how, it shouldn’t be any problem.

There you go Mercury———— if you want to make a name for yourself, simply make a reliable Rotory that lasts forever ?

11. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a rotary can survive LeMans 24hr......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a rotary can survive LeMans 24hr......
    So why did it only survive the one three hour boat race race Pilgrim ?
    Maybe they turned the wick down a tad at Le Mans ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC who had about 300hp then 20+years later Mazda had about 700hp, ( I'm sure lots of work done by OMC helped) helped lots by digital EFI and computer controlled induction tuning etc etc.
    I wonder how much Mazda spent, masses of engineers and huge computers running CFD etc?
    1970's to 90's electronics allowed huge jumps in engine HP
    Computer simulation allowed huge jumps in design before you build it

PS they are still working on it

or 3 x Mazda 787 engines ish
    http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...elt-your-brain
    Last edited by powerabout; 12-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC who had about 300hp then 20+years later Mazda had about 700hp, ( I'm sure lots of work done by OMC helped) helped lots by digital EFI and computer controlled induction tuning etc etc.
    I wonder how much Mazda spent, masses of engineers and huge computers running CFD etc?
    1970's to 90's electronics allowed huge jumps in engine HP
    Computer simulation allowed huge jumps in design before you build it

PS they are still working on it

or 3 x Mazda 787 engines ish
    http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...elt-your-brain
    Find the flaw and your home and dry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a race engine, i cant see a flaw.
    In production use, it didnt have any great jump on piston engines ( produced more power for less weight) and just when it became reliable fuel consumption and emissions became an issue.
    Last edited by powerabout; 12-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Find the flaw and your home and dry.
    They wore the apex seals out- even though one could overcome that today- they are not very emissions friendly , sadly a factor in todays world.
    I have gone to find myself , If I return before I get back - Keep me here

18. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a race engine, i cant see a flaw.
    In production use, it didnt have any great jump on piston engines ( produced more power for less weight) and just when it became reliable fuel consumption and emissions became an issue.
    Thats the trouble with Everyone involved with the Rotory as a race engine————-they couldn’t SEE a flaw.! Didn’t mean it never had one. If it had been flawless from day one, that would have been the way to go, but it wasn’t.
    Greatest engineering companies throughout the world have tried and chucked in the towel.
    Rolls Royce———-Daimler Benz————the Japs————- the chinks———- the Yanks, Uncle Tom Colby and all. It’s been well over a hundred years since it’s inception and I still don’t see production lines humming with product.
    Three turning parts only———- that’s what the bumph says ! ———what can possibly go wrong———- now to anyone who can answer that, go the spoils and riches.
    Turn the revs down———- no stress——- no friction———— no wear———— so what if there’s no performance? It should last————- all the excuses have long been used up Pilgrim!

Page 455 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 355 405 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 505 555 955 ... LastLast