Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this photo angle, the engine does not look like it is center-lined with the boat cowling & transom.
    Should not the right-side (starboard) be showing more, then the engine's opposite side, at this photo angle?
    If I factor in the driver's steering to compensate for the engine torque, then does that solve the offset look?

Questions from a rookie driver, whom might be in need of eye glasses.

2. Likes GrewuponLakeX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is an SJ boat there would be some pretty strong steering torque. When Mercury changed the lower unit gearing on the 500s I had to add more tension to my steering compensation bungees to be able to drive one handed in my kneel down boat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lakeland 001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	460868 All of the stock lower unit motors had this issue. Big propellers with low gearing with a lot of pull to the right.

4. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    From this photo angle, the engine does not look like it is center-lined with the boat cowling & transom.
    Should not the right-side (starboard) be showing more, then the engine's opposite side, at this photo angle?
    If I factor in the driver's steering to compensate for the engine torque, then does that solve the offset look?

Questions from a rookie driver, whom might be in need of eye glasses.

That also appears to have only a right side rear cowl section. Sure mess's with your (& my) perspective......... Prolly looks like more than what the angles actually are. From my viewpoint, the engine also doesn't appear straight up & down. Almoat looks like it's canted top to the left. Still think the one sided rear cowl is doing it. No doubt, a.good bit of countersteering there.
    AIRWALK
    gettin' old ain't for sissies

6. Likes Lake X Kid, GrewuponLakeX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway you slice it that is a great picture. Flat water, boat just about completely aired out. Kind of looks like a kilo run?

8. Likes wogi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, he's got it skint back. Really trimmed pretty, nice & flat for tunnels back then....Anyone know who it is?
    AIRWALK
    gettin' old ain't for sissies

10. Likes wogi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but it looks like it could be an SJ rig from the later70s. My last season was 76 and I never saw that one in my travels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivin' boats .....

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    ..... AIN'T THIS YOUR HOT SINGLES THREAD???
    After some chatter on 'Hot Multi's' about some boats I got to drive while working for Mercury, with Gene's permission, I'll move that conversation back to 'Hot Singles' so we can talk about some of them. While still working out of the engineering department, before the Race Team was officially started, our test work was promarily done on Switzer Shooting Stars, Checkmates and an occasional Hustler or Tahiti. I remember that the Molinari had arrived, but I hadn't been given the opportunity to get behind the wheel yet so I was doing the V bottom and Star tests.

One day Dick Snyder approached me and said that he had heard that I wanted to drive a Molinari. I told him that was correct. He said that he needed a driver to gather some info that day, so I was elected and told to get the boat ready. The boat was one of the early rocker 18's with the low flat rear cowl. It looked similar to this .....
    Attachment 460944
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1967 Molinari Rocker.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	460966

It was sitting in the boathouse with a 1250 stacker mounted on the transom. I replaced that powerhead with a stock unit and went out to our test course. I did not want to add my name to that growing list of people that blew a Molinari over on their maiden voyage. I wanted to carefully learn how to get this boat up to speed. A couple of hours later the stacker was put back on and the tests that Dick needed were completed. If memory serves, those were only about 70 mph boats. It was a thrill to drive, but slower than what I had been driving. However, it got over sloppy water without backing off and the way it turned was just amazing!

Shortly after that a newer style of the 18' rocker arrived. They drove in a similar fashion, but were faster. Merc entered four of them in the 68 Havasu OWC powered by the 'experimental' direct charge 1250 (1350). Those boats ran really well. Tom Stickle had his in 1st place overall around the 2 hour mark and Art Kennedy brought his home 3rd single .....

Name:	Art Kennedy - Havasu - 1968.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	460954

The next evolution from Molinari was the 18' rocker that everyone loved. It was the design that Glastron used to produce their popular single Glastron/Molinari. These boats got over even more water than the earlier models, still turned on a dime and brought the speed up into the mid 80's. When they were driven right, they looked like this .....

Name:	Havasu Mike Quale 1969.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	460956

When they were driven wrong, they looked like this .....

Name:	My Mistake!.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	460957

To be continued .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LAKE X CLARK.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 03-18-2020 at 04:13 PM.

13. Thanks wogi, Bob V, GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    After some chatter on 'Hot Multi's' about some boats I got to drive while working for Mercury, with Gene's permission, I'll move that conversation back to 'Hot Singles' so we can talk about some of them. While still working out of the engineering department, before the Race Team was officially started, our test work was promarily done on Switzer Shooting Stars, Checkmates and an occasional Hustler or Tahiti. I remember that the Molinari had arrived, but I hadn't been given the opportunity to get behind the wheel yet so I was doing the V bottom and Star tests.

One day Dick Snyder approached me and said that he had heard that I wanted to drive a Molinari. I told him that was correct. He said that he needed a driver to gather some info that day, so I was elected and told to get the boat ready. The boat was one of the early rocker 18's with the low flat rear cowl. It looked similar to this .....
    Attachment 460944

Name:	1967 Molinari Rocker.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	460966
    OKAY!! Now we are back where we belong!!

Remember those guys we were talking about?--- TODD---DONAHUE. SIROIS. BIER??

This is Lonnie Todd--This boat ran at Parker 68 --a month or so later--I got a call from Odell to pick up this boat at the Lake ----for Lonnie!!

Lonnie ran it at a few races in S Florida with a stock 1250---first time many people in S Florida had seen a 'Molinari' since Roy Ridgell ran one in the GCM--

Name:	Lonnie 710.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	460976

Name:	blue  PHYC TODD MOLI.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	460977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PARKER 68 pit.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	460978

(to be continued}

15. Thanks Bob V, Mark75H, willabee thanked for this post
    Likes wogi, Bob V, Mark75H, GrewuponLakeX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just two shots from this past weekend at Tavares Florida - my '69 Star/ Merc1250 Speedmaster gettin' it on. Water was rough because they didn't shut down the boat traffic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on the water.jpg 
Views:	50 
ID:	461001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switzer on trailer.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	461002

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Just two shots from this past weekend at Tavares Florida - my '69 Star/ Merc1250 Speedmaster gettin' it on. Water was rough because they didn't shut down the boat traffic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on the water.jpg 
ID:	461001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switzer on trailer.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	461002
    Very nice, I love those boats. Guessing it runs low 80's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, I love those boats. Guessing it runs low 80's?
    Seeing how I only had it on the water for 5 minutes before running the vintage event, I don't know what top end is yet. I think this boat is a light layup, being left hand steer, it definitely is flightier than the red one I had, which was right hand steer. Some day when I have a saftety boat handy I will stretch it out - yes, I believe it will go low 80's.

19. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1968 .....

.... This is Lonnie Todd--This boat ran at Parker 68 --a month or so later--I got a call from Odell to pick up this boat at the Lake ----for Lonnie!!

Lonnie ran it at a few races in S Florida with a stock 1250---first time many people in S Florida had seen a 'Molinari' since Roy Ridgell ran one in the GCM--

Name:	blue  PHYC TODD MOLI.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	460977
    (to be continued}

A month or so after Parker 68, that would put O.L. Steele in charge. Any idea what the connection between him and Todd might have been? Never did understand why it was sent there and then pulled back. ( Hope this isn't one of those "after you tell me you have to eliminate me" offshore brotherhood kind of things )
    Last edited by willabee; 03-19-2020 at 05:18 PM.

21. Likes wogi, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A month or so after Parker 68, that would put O.L. Steele in charge. Any idea what the connection between him and Todd might have been? Never did understand why it was sent there and then pulled back. ( Hope this isn't one of those "after you tell me you have to eliminate me" offshore brotherhood kind of things )
    Oh crap Willabee!!! You have let the cat out of the bag!--You've blown my cover!!!

Over sixty years ago--Billy and I worked for the largest Mercury dealer in Florida---

Name:	Bill steele.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	461035

23. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivin' boats .....

..... Over sixty years ago--Billy and I worked for the largest Mercury dealer in Florida---

Name:	Bill steele.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	461035
    How bout that, learn something new every day!

Drivin' boats ..... 1970 was the beginning of the end for my time driving these machines. I don't remember exact dates, but we were hiring talented weekend warriors to be professional race drivers. Obviously, with these drivers on site, it didn't make much sense to take me from my normal daily duties to conduct a test driving a race boat.
    In the picture below (incorrectly labeled 1971) you can see what I'm talking about. This is from the 1970 Miami 225, Downard #251, Stickle #254, Hering #457 and Merten #187 were all working full time at Merc Racing.

Name:	Miami 225 - 1970.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	461058

Short story I've told before ..... At the drivers meeting Downard was told he was ineligible to race because he was not yet 21 years of age. Mert came out of the meeting and told me what had happened and that he had suggested to Garbrecht that I run the boat. Gary reportedly said it made sense, he knew I had a ton of time in that style Molinari. Didn't happen, Dewey Berghauer showed up to watch the race and Gary offered the ride to him. Another opportunity lost .... .

Merten
    won that race and on Monday we took the boat to Lake X to run some fresh water through it. His ears were still ringing, so I said I'd clean it out. Naturally I wanted to air it out and that became a challenge. I remember I went through most of a six gallon gas tank before I got it to lay down and run. After putting it on the trailer, Mert mentioned that he heard it beeping. He said during his setup testing it did that at 98, top speed for the little 16'er running a 1350 stacker.

Not sure, but that may have been the last of my 'flat out' runs ......

Name:	Merten at Miami 1970.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	461057
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miami 225 1970.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 03-20-2020 at 05:57 PM.

25. Thanks wogi, Bob V thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bout that, learn something new every day!

More TRIVIA---

Name:	Billy Steele 2 GCM.PNG 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	461059

27. Likes Bob V liked this post
Page 272 of 348 FirstFirst ... 172 222 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 322 ... LastLast