Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP needs to contact Blackbird engines. They would have the experience and patience to deal with him. Just a thought? Fix him right up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Greg should delete this whole post!
    I hate seeing anyone with the character and experience of Jay slammed.....esp. on a site where he's liked so well!
    We all know he's contributed his knowledge many, many times and it's priceless!
    WS
    WillySteve Hendricks

20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/ProMax 225x-Sold!
    '83-20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc 2.4 ModVP BridgePort EFI-Sold!
    '85-18' Stratus STV/Merc Hi-Po 2.4 EFI-Sold!
    Freedom 240 DLX Fisher Toon/Merc 115

10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25HP On The Bottle!
    18" Home Made Tunnel/OS .021XM Outboard on 50% Nitro and Expansion Chamber

3. Likes 300x Stoker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillySteve View Post
    I think Greg should delete this whole post!
    I hate seeing anyone with the character and experience of Jay slammed.....esp. on a site where he's liked so well!
    We all know he's contributed his knowledge many, many times and it's priceless!
    WS

There's only one post on this thread slamming him with a bunch of positive rebuttals. The OP has not responded and therefore is a troll. I say keep this thread up to show how much support there really is for JSRE and how trolls are not tolerated here. If the OP had a set of balls, he'd come back on and either clarify what went on and apologize or show he had a legitimate beef......
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

5. Thanks outasite thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    There's only one post on this thread slamming him with a bunch of positive rebuttals. The OP has not responded and therefore is a troll. I say keep this thread up to show how much support there really is for JSRE and how trolls are not tolerated here. If the OP had a set of balls, he'd come back on and either clarify what went on and apologize or show he had a legitimate beef......

You are 100% correct. A simple apology and acknowledgment that he didnt understand the terminology and posses and his man hood could be reinstated some what and maybe get it right the second time. We all know from reading what he did what happen its clear as mud for us but wasn't for him obviously. Wouldn't have been a big deal if he didn't make it a big deal! All as he would have had to do was ship the rest of the parts to Jay so he could get it running and pay a little more to reinstall those components. Still not ideal but he could have had a sick motor built buy one of the best running on the lake by now! haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to be a dick but I actually side with the OP, he stated he asked Jay if there would be any issues with what he had and asked for a response and said jay just sent him an address to shipmthr motor.

Seems like not all the blame should go to the OP, not everyone is used to all the terminology we are and a lack of proper communication caused this issue.

He asked for a respomse and got an address.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    I don't want to be a dick but I actually side with the OP, he stated he asked Jay if there would be any issues with what he had and asked for a response and said jay just sent him an address to shipmthr motor.

Seems like not all the blame should go to the OP, not everyone is used to all the terminology we are and a lack of proper communication caused this issue.

He asked for a respomse and got an address.
    Simple, even if the OP wasn't familiar with the terminology, as soon as Jay informed him the engine he sent was not complete, The OP should have asked what else was needed and simply sent him the rest of the parts. What would it have cost? Another $50? Better than getting bent and paying for return shipping and "losing hundreds of dollars" then coming on here and making a fool of himself. (Not to be an ass).
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

9. Likes specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Simple, even if the OP wasn't familiar with the terminology, as soon as Jay informed him the engine he sent was not complete, The OP should have asked what else was needed and simply sent him the rest of the parts. What would it have cost? Another $50? Better than getting bent and paying for return shipping and "losing hundreds of dollars" then coming on here and making a fool of himself. (Not to be an ass).
    True as well and better communication on both sides would have avoided all of this non sense

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ain't been on in a while, good to see there are plenty of goofballs left. One post wonders, Bash-N-Dash

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the thing about the internet. Bashing and Dashing on a Keyboard is one thing.

But to look the guy in the eye and say your piece, is a whole nother situation.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    That's the thing about the internet. Bashing and Dashing on a Keyboard is one thing.

But to look the guy in the eye and say your piece, is a whole nother situation.
    He'd prolly have to get down on one knee to look my buddy Jay Smith in the eye . . . . . . . . .lol

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage243 View Post
    He'd prolly have to get down on one knee to look my buddy Jay Smith in the eye . . . . . . . . .lol
    Yeah, he's not just short on patience LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay helped me out years ago with a project by giving a lot of FREE advice,he took a lot of time on the phone with me which he did not have to do. He's a good guy in my book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since others have chimed in, I guess I will as well. My Jay Smith story starts out quite similar to the O.P. I had a 280 powerhead that was blown that I was looking to rebuild. I can't remember exactly what I had missing from my 280 prior to sending it but I want to say a few things were missing or not on the powerhead. I will never forget my first encounter/phone conversation with Jay. I heard so much about Jay Smith and his reputation and figured he was the man to go with. I had previously called some other well known engine builders on here that others speak very highly of on here just to get some price ideas. My phone conversations with those shops were not easing my mind about sending my motor 1200 miles off to be fixed (short and arrogant conversations).

So I call Jay Smith. I'm about 2 minutes if that into my conversation with him, explaining everything I know about this powerhead of mine. The man cuts me off and says, buddy I'm not interested in your motor. Jay said something along the lines that he didn't have time or wasn't interested in trying to piece my engine back together and so on and so forth. At this point I was pretty ticked. This guy is supposed to be a legend on these engines and I felt he could do whatever necessary. I picked up real quick how fussy and precise he is about, what he expects, and how he operates. To be 100% honest I thought Jay was somewhat of a jerk at this point. Our conversation ended and I figured I was never going to get someone to get this thing running for me.

I guess this is where my story takes a bit of a different path than the OP's. I never sent Jay pictures of my engine, which I figured he pretty much didn't have time to try and determine what was missing and what wasn't from pictures. I figured it was best to be upfront and tell him exactly what was there and what wasn't. He was pretty clear on what he wanted and the rest was up to me. After a few minutes of my phone conversation ending with him, I figured, F it, I'm calling him back and were going to get this straightened out. I call Jay back and pretty much laid it out on the line with him. I told him I don't want anyone else touching this motor and that I was putting my trust in him to make it right. I said I don't care what it is, just let me know how you want it and what I need to do and I will get this 280 sent down. I followed his directions and how he wanted it and from that point on things were much different.

Fast forward 8+ years to now. I consider Jay a good friend of mine in this boating community. Jay took care of me from start to finish and always was very upfront with me and precise. Over the years I had spent many Saturday afternoons or weeknights on the phone with Jay talking about an issue I may have been having which ended up turning into some good story telling. I remember frequently hanging up with him and looking at my phone and the elapsed time of the call was over an hour every time. Typically would be laughing after hanging up with him and just shaking my head thinking, this guy is totally nuts and hilarious. His southern accent and choice of words can really add some great content to a conversation. There really isn't too many people out there like that. The man is a straight shooter, tell it like it is, and as said on here previously his way or the highway kind of guy. I totally respect that about Jay and in a world like we live today with social media you have to be that way. It's too easy to be a punching bag on some of these sites when you don't people please everyone. You can't blame Jay for wanting things a certain way. He obviously wants to test the motor in his shop and make sure its up to par and meets his expectations before he puts his stamp on it and sends it back.

I don't know where this deal is at now, but I highly suggest working it out with him and getting your motor done by this top notch guy. I could go on and on and say everything else everyone has said on here for years about him, but you're really missing out on a great relationship to have in this community if you don't. The relationship you can build with Jay will pay dividends for years to come. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by kcoleman10; 06-28-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    1996 Mirage Jaguar/Ski Racer
    1996 Mirage Jaguar Jet "May 1996 Hot Boat Magazine featured boat"
    2000 STV EUROSKI

17. Likes OLEGATOR, olboatman, Zukiride liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300x Stoker View Post
    The OP needs to contact Blackbird engines. They would have the experience and patience to deal with him. Just a thought? Fix him right up.
    now there's good advice!! OP and Blackbird are from the same mold and will blend together!!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoleman10 View Post
    Since others have chimed in, I guess I will as well. My Jay Smith story starts out quite similar to the O.P. I had a 280 powerhead that was blown that I was looking to rebuild. I can't remember exactly what I had missing from my 280 prior to sending it but I want to say a few things were missing or not on the powerhead. I will never forget my first encounter/phone conversation with Jay. I heard so much about Jay Smith and his reputation and figured he was the man to go with. I had previously called some other well known engine builders on here that others speak very highly of on here just to get some price ideas. My phone conversations with those shops were not easing my mind about sending my motor 1200 miles off to be fixed (short and arrogant conversations).

So I call Jay Smith. I'm about 2 minutes if that into my conversation with him, explaining everything I know about this powerhead of mine. The man cuts me off and says, buddy I'm not interested in your motor. Jay said something along the lines that he didn't have time or wasn't interested in trying to piece my engine back together and so on and so forth. At this point I was pretty ticked. This guy is supposed to be a legend on these engines and I felt he could do whatever necessary. I picked up real quick how fussy and precise he is about, what he expects, and how he operates. To be 100% honest I thought Jay was somewhat of a jerk at this point. Our conversation ended and I figured I was never going to get someone to get this thing running for me.

I guess this is where my story takes a bit of a different path than the OP's. I never sent Jay pictures of my engine, which I figured he pretty much didn't have time to try and determine what was missing and what wasn't from pictures. I figured it was best to be upfront and tell him exactly what was there and what wasn't. He was pretty clear on what he wanted and the rest was up to me. After a few minutes of my phone conversation ending with him, I figured, F it, I'm calling him back and were going to get this straightened out. I call Jay back and pretty much laid it out on the line with him. I told him I don't want anyone else touching this motor and that I was putting my trust in him to make it right. I said I don't care what it is, just let me know how you want it and what I need to do and I will get this 280 sent down. I followed his directions and how he wanted it and from that point on things were much different.

Fast forward 8+ years to now. I consider Jay a good friend of mine in this boating community. Jay took care of me from start to finish and always was very upfront with me and precise. Over the years I had spent many Saturday afternoons or weeknights on the phone with Jay talking about an issue I may have been having which ended up turning into some good story telling. I remember frequently hanging up with him and looking at my phone and the elapsed time of the call was over an hour every time. Typically would be laughing after hanging up with him and just shaking my head thinking, this guy is totally nuts and hilarious. His southern accent and choice of words can really add some great content to a conversation. There really isn't too many people out there like that. The man is a straight shooter, tell it like it is, and as said on here previously his way or the highway kind of guy. I totally respect that about Jay and in a world like we live today with social media you have to be that way. It's too easy to be a punching bag on some of these sites when you don't people please everyone. You can't blame Jay for wanting things a certain way. He obviously wants to test the motor in his shop and make sure its up to par and meets his expectations before he puts his stamp on it and sends it back.

I don't know where this deal is at now, but I highly suggest working it out with him and getting your motor done by this top notch guy. I could go on and on and say everything else everyone has said on here for years about him, but you're really missing out on a great relationship to have in this community if you don't. The relationship you can build with Jay will pay dividends for years to come. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nobody wants to work with a basket case, much less deal with a long story of failures. Jay is a perfectionist, bottom line. There are plenty of hacks out there who will pleases the the cheapskates who want the 'BEST PRICE". But the best price certainly does not get you Value.

You get what you pay for........ bottom line.

20. Likes Zukiride liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast