Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    Just for the sake of this information I ordered a set of those SMP injectors. I hope I can get my $500 back if they are trash. If I can't send em back to Rock Auto after, who wants to stick them in a motor and see what happens?
    Thank you kindly, sir! if you give them a clean bill of health, I’ll gladly buy them off you, unless of course, your own are better and ready for sale!!
    BTW: How come they cost you $500? Does the Candadian government rape you on import tariffs like mine does too, or what?
    Last edited by CI STV; 12-08-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz, I'm putting the lid back on that can of worms. You know how this ends if we get going down that path!
    I did. Injector 2 got a mechanical adjustment per the invoice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before and after graph.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	497711
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CI STV View Post
    Chaz, how does your little Chinese friend “Autool” work? That’s the one I’m looking at. Just need to find someone other than Bezos the bozo’s company that can ship it overseas to me anytime before next year.
    Needs a bigger pump for E-85 or alky injectors .. and a Race-pack datalogger .. LOL

But for cleaning and "go no go" peace of mind, hard to beat for the money ...

My boat 12 injectors
    My truck 8 injectors
    Wifes jeep 6 injectors
    Our motorhome 10 injectors
    Son's car 4 injectors (vette to Honda .. young married life, don't ask)
    + Neighbors, cars, trucks, boats .. Paid for itself already
    Motors I build for others get 8 to 10 done. We go to the ramp with a test wheel and place the "jets" where needed ..

4. Likes CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of the spray pattern on the 0 280 150 036 vs the replacement I'm working on.

Your working on ? 🤨

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the SMP injectors in from Rock Auto. A few observations.

These are heavy. Usually on a more modern plastic bodied injectors this is a good indication on whether you have a knockoff or not, as the weight you feel is mostly the coil. This is a different case, with the body being all metal, but it definately can't hurt that there is some heft to these.

The machining all looks to be consistent and well done, the welding of the pintle snout is consistent, the plastic molding looks clean, and the part number etching is clear and consistent. The ferrules fit nice, and they come with a new hose clamp. It appears there was at least some care when making these.

They also say Made in USA on the box. I'm a little surprised to find that they don't boast this claim more on their packaging and don't mention it on their website that I can find. Usually a Made in USA product would be somthing heavily advertised for the preceved quality, but these don't do that. That worries me a little, but who knows.

Things I don't like:
    They have completely changed the pintle area of these injectors, they will definatley have a different spray pattern, which could be good, or could be bad, we will see. I think it would be a tough task completely redesigning the whole pintle area and maintaning the same flow rate as the originals.

The other thing I don't like is that the bodies are all beat up. Its clear these things have been tossed in a big pile and handled rough. Thats something you would expect out of a Chineese knockoff. You don't handle a quality injector that way, and you don't handle a product you are proud of in that way. I've got a pile like that of scrap injectors, but you won't see me tossing around a new injector or customers injectors. They do all of that, just to box them individually again, why don't they ship them in bulk?

Ill try to flow these as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend yet. If they all flow evenly (which most knockoffs don't), then we can continue to work on them and see if they are a good match for the Bosch units.

Blake

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

7. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Likes Capt.Insane-o, Dave Strong, CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    I did. Injector 2 got a mechanical adjustment per the invoice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before and after graph.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	497711
    I also wanted to just note on this, not that we need to go down that deep dark cave, but theres only 2 shops that will offer an "adjustment" for you. Personally, I don't do adjustments, I believe that once something has fatigued a spring to that point, retensioning the spring is a temporary at best and dangerous fix. Send those injectors on up to me. If they flow the same as in your results the test/cleaning is on the house.
    Last edited by InjectorService; 12-11-2021 at 11:32 AM.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

9. Likes CI STV, rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also wanted to just note on this, not that we need to go down that deep dark cave, but theres only 2 shops that will offer an "adjustment" for you. Personally, I don't do adjustments, I believe that once something has fatigued a spring to that point, retensioning the spring is a temporary at best and dangerous fix. Send those injectors on up to me. If they flow the same as in your results the test/cleaning is on the house.
    They are in a box now so I may do that.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for taking this step and for your very thorough and detailed evaluation.
    Thanks for the pictures as well. They certainly look solid, although it is concerning to hear that they’re a bit banged up.
    I’m very much looking forward to see how they flow and what your thoughts are on the spray pattern, etc.
    BTW: I am certain that either the SMP website of one of their videos about these injectors, they say that their injectors are made exclusively at SMP’s facility in South Carolina. I agree that they could use a bit more advertising on that, since the price they offer them for is comparable to the typical cheap Chinese version, so most folks would tend to assume that’s what they’re buying.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks promising. Will be interesting to see your flow test results.

How high an rpm can you simulate on your flowbench with a pulse width similar to the Mercury 2.5 requirement.

Think I read somewhere that they used a different type nozzle and gave better fuel atomization.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can flow at whatever RPM and pulse width required. I'm just not sure what those pulse widths actually are on the 2.5. If no one chimes in on the pulse widths, I'll try them at 50% and 75% duty cycle.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    They are in a box now so I may do that.
    FWIW: I would suggest that you do send them to Blake to be tested. It just occurred to me that the graphs you posted are labelled as before and after tests of the purported injector flow at “idle” and “WOT”.
    I’m far from being an expert, but I don’t think that’s the usual language you would associate with an injector test, which I would think would refer to pulse width or IDC.
    Using that terminology would presume the person testing them knew what the injector pulse width was at “idle” and “WOT” (at all RPMs???). That sounds like B.S. to me. And if Blake is saying that these hose feed injectors can’t really be mechanically adjusted except by only a couple of shops, I’d be concerned about what they did to that injector, if they actually did anything. My advice, worth every penny you paid for it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I already posted what an "adjusted" one looks like ..
    Blake is much more diplomatic than I am ..

Since we are talking steady state fuel pressure (no rising rate regulator)
    The bulk of the fuel load will be at peak torque. To get that, the pulse width will be at the longest thru that area.
    As rpm increases and the motor becomes less efficient, the fuel will taper off. Yes at some point rpm will overcome the shortened pulse width.

Aftermarket ECU's ask for dead time, span of voltage, percentage of usable open time etc. during set-up. Since we are "stuck" with factory numbers .. as Ronnie would say "what does your oscilloscope tell you".

If your not into 2800+ HP dyno pulls .. skip to aprox 9:00 minutes. There is a point where a single injector will not move enough fuel ... I would think that if 10 - 12,000 rpm is the goal, it might be time to go with twin injectors.

16. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to throw a little update out there. Ill go more in depth a little later, no time now but here is my summary.

The injectors are on their way back to Rock Auto. You can't make a quality injector and sell it for $50 CAD (thats like a buck fifty US).

Blake

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

18. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Likes rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s to bad, was hopeful. What you’re saying on the cost versus quality makes perfect sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is how to navigate around chinese junk
    Best to buy OEM injectors but even they are copied
    There seems to be a yard sale in canada if your interested!
    Could give it a try
    This would be the seadoo injector
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20211211-222731.png   Screenshot_20211208-212952.png  
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 12-15-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast