Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a Monty 380v8 omc cost gives you how much spare cash to buy fuel compared with a 300R?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemvegas View Post
    When you say 300XS DBR...Are running a built DBR powerhead or a stock powerhead with the Level 1.3 kit? Reason i am asking is because i bought the DBR kit for my pair of motors on 22 FT Eliminator Daytona. I neither felt any noticeable power or seen any on my GPS. The kits did solve 2 issues i was having so i did get something positive for the cost. My boat would go into Guardian mode occasionally on long WOT looking for top speed. At 105 to 109 mph i would not hear the warning beep. But the pucker in my ass would work well when either motor would drop to 2000 RPM Guardian mode after bumping the 6400 Rev Limiter a few beeps. Yes it was a nice bow stuff and turn the few times it happened. The DBR 7000 RPM raised limiters fixed the issue. Other issue was a give and take trade off. Over 90 water would suck up the rear of motors and wet powerheads. The DBR kits have the air intake plate that you mount on front of cowl and allows you to seal the rear air intakes. The downside is from just off idle to about 2500 RPM the compressor noise and reeds slapping is a noisey combination. Never topped my best of 109 before kits, Never really felt better taking off. Did seem to have a little more midrange pull from 50 to 100 but i really had no data to compare.
    Stock powerhead with DBR ECU mods. I cut the front cowl instead of buying a new cowl. I don't have the version number, but it was programmed in October last year.

Here is the testing
    5 different tests. My hole shot got worse after the flywheel, but the DBR pulled it right back in again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seBUTvtgusE
    DBR ECU change before and after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNB1ZkSRzU&t=63s

On my boat it made a significant difference. My friend did his 250xs after seeing the results and it helped him as well.

I will post the data graphs later today when I get some time.
    Allison XB21 2+2

3. Thanks davemvegas thanked for this post
    Likes New Canoe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    So a Monty 380v8 omc cost gives you how much spare cash to buy fuel compared with a 300R?
    Ah....if only things were that simple....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Ah....if only things were that simple....
    OK yes I would have to go with EFI as well just to make it more user friendly
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, it’s going to take a lot more than EFI to make them even remotely comparable.

Just the idea being argued that a 35 year old modified 2-stroke is better than a modern outboard is what is stifling growth of this website. It’s sad to watch, honestly.
    Last edited by engineermike; 06-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my boat it made a significant difference. My friend did his 250xs after seeing the results and it helped him as well.
    I think the answer to your results vs my boat not gaining any performance. Is due to the guess of your hull weight being in the 800 lb area. My hull weight is more like 4,000 lb area. So it makes sense that a 8 to 12 hp increase could give you the performance gain. My boat really does not feel any different at a 1/4 tank (30 gals) as 1/2 tank (60 gals) so it probably would take 25 hp per motor to gain any noticeable speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    OK yes I would have to go with EFI as well just to make it more friendly
    I think those might make just a little more ...

https://www.facebook.com/26293773058...6258988653281/

9. Likes powerabout, JPEROG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemvegas View Post
    I think the answer to your results vs my boat not gaining any performance. Is due to the guess of your hull weight being in the 800 lb area. My hull weight is more like 4,000 lb area. So it makes sense that a 8 to 12 hp increase could give you the performance gain. My boat really does not feel any different at a 1/4 tank (30 gals) as 1/2 tank (60 gals) so it probably would take 25 hp per motor to gain any noticeable speed.
    The XB21 Allison is the fat kid in the family. The hull alone is 1300lbs. For testing I ran full fishing load and power poles. On the water the boat weights just under 2,800lbs. I agree, the setup is still probably better setup to leverage the added power. I studied the DBR stuff a lot before I bought. Results were plus and minus. Mine ended up very positive.

Here is a test with the 30 Promax. The boat weight and setup was identical for all tests. The only change was the motor.

Stock 300XS 1.62 in Red
    DBR 300XS 1.62 in Blue
    DBR 300XS 1.75 in Green
    Stock 300R 1.75 in Orange

The line marks the spot the data in the table is reading down below the graph. The graph can be deceiving as it is speed vs time. distance vs time is the bottom graph. That is the true "race" if you will.

The 300R and 300XS DBR 1.75 were very close. While the R got out a little slower it pulled through the mid range and hit the limiter at 95 24' behind the 300XS DBR 1.75.
    You can see how much the DBR helped on the 30 when you look at the Red vs Blue. 9mph faster in 26 seconds and over 600' out in front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 Promax.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	441204
    Allison XB21 2+2

11. Thanks PRE-Z06 thanked for this post
    Likes davemvegas, PRE-Z06, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, it’s going to take a lot more than EFI to make them even remotely comparable.

Just the idea being argued that a 35 year old modified 2-stroke is better than a modern outboard is what is stifling growth of this website. It’s sad to watch, honestly.
    I'm not saying its better, just a price/value comparison mostly tongue in cheek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ain't nobody arguing about nuttin .. and you of anybody should take it the least personal.
    I said before I'm just a stupid welder , and I build what I can afford. Or should I say, what I'm willing to spend.
    I don't feel bad about it though , I'm in good company. Lots of guys are even bringing back the early model twin computer three litre's. I have friends in the UK an Oz that actually prefer them.
    Please tell us, do you have anything to offer this thread of basically the pro's and cons of two strokes and four strokes in various forms and how they become useful in an outboard application. Or is your education and degree only good for derogatory statements?
    How bout something personal and exciting like ... How many more payments vs month's of wty you have left .. Ppffftttt

Now I'm pizzed and gonna start writtin in all caps ...

ON SALE ALL NEXT WEEK BILLET 300X REED ADAPTER PLATES

Go from this ...

To this ..

Put the injectors outside where they belong ...

14. Likes Whaaaaat, Kcraft, AZMIDLYF, JrCRXHF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does a 300x have sequential injection or batch fire?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The early model .. had three injector drivers ( 1+2 ) ( 3+4 ) ( 5+6 ) are tied together.

Late models ... like the 300x with a starboard side mounted Motorola box, are sequential. 1 thru 6 .

17. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Ain't nobody arguing about nuttin .. and you of anybody should take it the least personal.
    I said before I'm just a stupid welder , and I build what I can afford. Or should I say, what I'm willing to spend.
    I don't feel bad about it though , I'm in good company. Lots of guys are even bringing back the early model twin computer three litre's. I have friends in the UK an Oz that actually prefer them.
    Please tell us, do you have anything to offer this thread of basically the pro's and cons of two strokes and four strokes in various forms and how they become useful in an outboard application. Or is your education and degree only good for derogatory statements?
    How bout something personal and exciting like ... How many more payments vs month's of wty you have left .. Ppffftttt

Now I'm pizzed and gonna start writtin in all caps ...

ON SALE ALL NEXT WEEK BILLET 300X REED ADAPTER PLATES

Go from this ...

To this ..

Put the injectors outside where they belong ...

Damn you trying to get me to spend money.....

Speaking of I still haven't found time to pull apart those blocks and send you the heads and rods. Haven't forgotten though

19. Likes JrCRXHF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Robert , It's all good brother. Ifin I run out of local sources for cranks and "5 good rods" at a time, I know you'll sift thru your cores for me ..

Chaz = thinkin, all ya need is an opti-pop breadbox (plenum) air valve, and some linkage and you'd be good to go on the adapter plate ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Robert , It's all good brother. Ifin I run out of local sources for cranks and "5 good rods" at a time, I know you'll sift thru your cores for me ..

Chaz = thinkin, all ya need is an opti-pop breadbox (plenum) air valve, and some linkage and you'd be good to go on the adapter plate ...
    Just so happen to have all that.....

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast