Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customer failed by Jay Smith at JSRE

Customer failed by Jay Smith at JSRE
    I contacted Jay Smith by telephone several times to discuss a complete re-build of a Mercury 200 EFI Powerhead. We discussed everything from balancing the crankshaft to the connecting rods in detail. I explained to Jay that I had a Mercury mechanic remove and replace the powerhead from my boat motor with a new re-built Quicksilver powered. I sent him the below picture to make sure he saw the powerhead and that it qualified for his rebuild. The below e-mail was sent to him to list exactly what was to be done. I requested he reply in writing to confirm what I thought he said he was going to do and you can see he replied and corrected what he was doing with the pistons.
    I paid for shipping there and to return the powerhead. When Jay received the power head he called me to tell me, and I quote “I can’t do anything with this motor because it is not complete” He told me I sent him a long block not a powerhead. Anyone can go online and look for Mercury Powerheads and see and buy what Jay calls a long block listed as powerheads on every listing. Yet Jay claims I do not know what I am doing, to the point that he refused to accept the job. He claimed all other Mercury mechanics are “Yahoos” and he does not trust them with his superior work. Jay cost me hundreds of lost dollars in shipping cost for no reason.
    So, if you want to do business with Jay Smith,

“ It is Jay’s way or the highway”
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/czvosec/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

Above is the picture I sent to Jay top confirm he can work on my Power Head. He never replied accept to tell me where to ship to. AS is easy to see there are no accessories like ignition, starter etc. in the picture.

Jay Smith <hitman6563@yahoo.com>
    Revised address for Jordan Marine 22250 I 10
    Vidor , Texas
    Top pin Pistons is to Edmonton out existing side pins replacing with top pin welded ones
    Sent from my iPhone
    On May 12, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Chuck Zvosec
    Hello Jay,
    You and I talked this Tuesday morning about my powerhead that has one scored cylinder. I want to rebuild the powerhead to top quality condition. Please receive it in and tear it down enough to make an inspection so we can discuss options. I am interested in increasing the HP and maximum RPM up to 6,000 if possible. I also want to increase the dependability so it does not fail so easily in future.
    If the model I have does not qualify to achieve everything on my list, we can discuss what can be done so that it is a dependable backup to the one I have now.
    You listed the following service and prices during our call.
    1. Labor to tear down and re-assemble complete $1,250.00
    2. New bearings high performance version $450.00
    3. Gasket set $250.00
    4. New Special Pistons $665.00
    5. Tap Pins ? $300.00
    6. Clean all injectors $450.00
    7. Special Reeds $140.00

You said I should ship the powerhead well packaged to JSRE Jordan Marine 2250 Interstate 10, Vidor Texas 77662.

Please reply to this e-mail and confirm the information I list. Then we can talk some more and decide what to do next. I attach a picture of my boat and the powerhead section so you can see what I am working on. I am running a Mercury factory rebuilt Quick Silver Powerhead that runs good but nothing like the 200 XRI that came with the boat. I blew it up at 6,000 RPM with pistons and rods coming apart.

Chuck Zvosec

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK first off your first post hear and your slamming one of the best 2.5 re-builders in the country. Theirs always more to the story and im not saying your wrong or hes wrong ect... BUT Jay has a really good reputation and im sure there is something to the statesmen you say JAY SAID THAT THE BLOCK IS NOT COMPLETE.? Also you are right. Its jays way or the Highway. That is just who he is. Maybe some dont like that but personally i feel since he does know his stuff hes entitled to his own way. He needs to test the work and fine tune after rebuild. So you sent just the block with no ECU, Switchboxes ect?? I think thats were there may have been a problem. But again im not sure not knowing the whole story. Im defending Jay because he has proven to be a stand up guy time and time again. And to people who dont know him your post can be detrimental. But i for one and im sure there are many many more would not hesitate to send there motor to Jay {power}head} to get some of the finest work available anywere. There was obviously a miscommunication as to what he required to dis and resemble your motor for him to feel comfortable putting his name on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol this thread will grow some legs. What Jay wanted was a fully dressed powerhead so he can return to you a functioning to his satisfaction unit and or upon his inspection it was something he couldn't work with. The man is as a straight shooter as they come and doesn't need to accept basket cases or poor attitudes. To his defense I've been inside on more than a few "merc reman" motors and some of them have left a lot to be desired.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post

“ It is Jay’s way or the highway”
    -img- file:///C:/Users/czvosec/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg -img-
    Sorry, I can't take you seriously when you try to IMG link to your C drive where no one else can see it.

I'm no big Jay Smith fan, but he has very good reason to want a complete powerhead and not just a long block.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Czvosec, I'm sorry to see how unhappy you are, but we've all known Jay Smith here for a very long time. Jay is a professional and knows his craft, and if he has to do things a certain way, that's how he has to do it. I think what @whipper says makes a lot of sense - I get the feeling there might either be another side to this, or some miscommunication going on.

However, I would ask if there is more to this story? I am happy to help though - just send me a PM here or an email.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not sound like Jay Smith failed you, sounds more like you did not understand that Jay wanted the complete powerhead with everything on it (dressed) He wants to run it, adjust it and make sure everything is right before you get it back. The only thing your other mechanic should have to do is put it on, change the water pump and poppet valve and give it to you. Jay certainly does not want someone else putting the external parts back on, setting the timing and such and be expected to be responsible for it if the timing is set wrong or something by someone else.......
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the Jay Smith I personally know and have dealt with??? I smell a Turd in the out House. I know that If something wasnt right Jay will make it known up front. And once he received what you sent him he did just that.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst thing in the world you can do is get on the internet and start bashing. Second worst do it as your first post ever. Not Professional, Not very mature, and surely not the way to go when your bashing a reputable engine builder.
    You chose to do business with this man for a reason. Call him up and settle your beef correctly.

Thanks Fullers Marine Best in the Business..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I wouldn't rebuild a powerhead that came to me in that state. Complete is complete, ready to bolt on and run. How do you expect him to time it, let alone feeling confident that all else is done correctly. I don't blame him one bit. But for u to come on here and bash him with one post is a little ridiculous. Why don't u call him and resolve it?
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Chuck,
    I told you that I run every build I complete to make sure things are right for at least an hour before shipping back to customer , I told you this , facts are you dont know the difference between a long block and a power head which you admitted . These requirents that everyone understands has been my policy since I began 23 years ago. Sorry you don't know the jargon in regards to motors but a long block can't be bolted on a down housing and ran it doesn't have fuel system electrics etc a power head has all the parts and can be .Has your post made me change my requirements to have me build a powerhead , nope ...

Jay @ JSRE

Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Post Count 1 post!!! Rock on Jay Smith!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Good luck with your motor problems now.

13. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Czvosec.

What would happen if Jay did re build the LONGBLOCK then you bolted on your shorted out ecm and didnt torque the other bolts correctly or had a bad injector and ran the motor and burned up a piston in the 1st hour? Would you blame Jay for the injector that he never got to test? Or maybee a you have a bad flywheel... he cant run "your" flywheel to him if you dont send it to him.

What a pittifull low man that come on here and bashes one of the best Merc guys here without doing your oun research.

15. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now if I could get the litttle *****er to work my 15 horse over so I could get to the duck blind on time...........
    Last edited by Capt.Insane-o; 06-05-2017 at 11:32 PM.

17. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Now if I could get the litttle *****er to work my 15 horse over so I could get to the duck blind on time...........
    if you send the longblock you only have yourself to blame, and then your duck season will be in shambles
    Kevin Kiser

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast