Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He met the italian tax man on a bad day....?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    He met the italian tax man on a bad day....?
    Bit more than that Pilgrim——— Renato fell foul of the Revenue at a very early age—— never did employ a first rate accountant (tax evader if you like).
    Anyway, the revenue men regularly had two year sit ins at his place——- they hounded the life out of him——- took his house, his car, his business——- beats the hell out of me how the Revenue can do that in a country that’s rife with the MAFIOSA who are far too smart for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have moved to Switzerland, kept Laglio for testing?
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-05-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I would have moved to Switzerland, kept Laglio for testing?
    Everyone else did—— or Monaco ——- like all Italian sons couldn’t bear to leave his mum !

5. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Attachment 440817

Came across this photo of Molinari and Gilman posted a few years back !
    Knew Scotts dad many years ago, wonderful man.
    Boy, did Renato ever grow old before his time——
    One of the top two circuit racers of all time ( in my humble opinion).
    I thought the same thing about Renato several years ago Jackie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is the eve of D DAY——— the largest marine invasion ever—— 7,000 ships and over 150,000 fighting men crossed the English Channel to free Europe from the tyranny of nazi Germany!
    The carnage that took place in the following weeks was of biblical proportions—— but it was the turning of the tide that was to free the world of oppression!
    I have watched the remembrance ceremonies taking place all along the south coast of England—— Portsmouth seems to be the focal point.
    Her Majesty the Queen and President Trump were representing the USA and Great Britain—— along with some 250 veterans all over 95—— the last survivors of that momentous invasion.
    Must confess, I cried buckets full watching the coverage——— the hope—— hopelessness—— courage—— bravery—— duty—- honour —— valour—- any superlative ever written was taking place on the beaches of Normandy whilst history was being written .
    Today, time paused for a while to remember ——- to celebrate the start of the end !
    Even President Macron was humble today—- along with a very grateful French populace!
    Its now 22:30 hrs 5th June 2019—— exactly 75 years ago to the minute since the attack commenced.

Wouldn't hurt to say a prayer of thanks to the thousands of Americans—- Canadians—-English —- and all the other nations who’s men gave their lives in the quest for freedom——— something we take for granted these days——- but in reality is a commodity more expensive than diamonds—— it can only be bought with sacrifice and human lives.

Tomorrow June the 6th will always be remembered as one of history’s great days—— it was also one of the darkest———-the price of freedom did not come cheap.

Reason we can have the freedom of speech today——- call Trump—- or May—— Corbin —- Macron —— Hilary—-anything we want, Is because of those who fought and died bringing it for us.

Today—— President Trump took a step closer to being a great president———- he gave a good account of himself.
    Its a very emotional time for me ——- So this May not be the last time you hear from me on this particular subject.

8. Thanks powerabout, GENE LANHAM, AZMIDLYF, dancinbear, JasonRS, msm thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Today is the eve of D DAY——— the largest marine invasion ever—— 7,000 ships and over 150,000 fighting men crossed the English Channel to free Europe from the tyranny of nazi Germany!
    The carnage that took place in the following weeks was of biblical proportions—— but it was the turning of the tide that was to free the world of oppression!
    I have watched the remembrance ceremonies taking place all along the south coast of England—— Portsmouth seems to be the focal point.
    Her Majesty the Queen and President Trump were representing the USA and Great Britain—— along with some 250 veterans all over 95—— the last survivors of that momentous invasion.
    Must confess, I cried buckets full watching the coverage——— the hope—— hopelessness—— courage—— bravery—— duty—- honour —— valour—- any superlative ever written was taking place .
    Jackie---tears in my eyes when I took this picture

Ten years later--tears in my eyes when I look at it

You and I are the at the age that the Greatest Generation were our Mentors--our bosses --our best friends------

10. Thanks AZMIDLYF, powerabout, dancinbear thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gene lanham View Post
    jackie---tears in my eyes when i took this picture

ten years later--tears in my eyes when i look at it

you and i are the at the age that the greatest generation were our mentors--our bosses --our best friends------

says it all gene ,

12. Thanks RogerH, dancinbear thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am proud to say I was raised by "Greatest Generation" parents. That is why next Wednesday we are going to visit the place where my Dad flew his missions. It just seem appropriate. Tonight my oldest son and I are watching " Cold Blue" on HBO. It is a documentary about the WWII 8th Air Force.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a day—— started out like any other——— I never watch day time TV——- today, most of the coverage was from France——— Normandy in particular.
    Arromanches was where 4,500 British soldiers were killed on the first day—- it seemed the world had made a pilgrimage to Arromanches.
    Reporters and commentators could not stem the tears that flowed as tales of valour and bravery in the face of such firepower were told from that day75 years ago.
    Trend continued over the day as more tales unfolded ——- We have been spellbound——— heart rending scenes——- most of them I have never. Heard before.
    Brexit was put on the back burner for a while—— whilst folk paused to remember that momentous day.

I’m not eloquent or qualified enough to explain the day’s happenings—— just hope some of you took time out to remember ——— names like GOLD, UTAH, JUNO,OMAHA AND SWORD—— all are part of operation OVERLORD and should never be forgotten!
    No matter how much we may quarrel and disagree—— there is no doubt that the worlds longest and strongest alliance, is the one that’s between the United States of America and Great Britain!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BCC2F10-D9F2-49C2-B4BD-7CA8DB5C9B41.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	441047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59C8C6A1-A63C-4766-964A-331F6FDA53AB.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	441048

FIFTY ONE YEARS AGO, MARK AND ME WENT TO COMO AND BOUGHT MY FIRST MOLINARI.
    KID IN THE MIDDLE IS RENATO, MARK IS FAR RIGHT,
    I WAS THIRTY SIX YEARS OLD.
    I BELIEVE RENATO WAS EIGHTEEN ,
    we were invited to lunch with his mum and dad and brother Giorgio. Renato made the pasta from scratch, and I tasted Parma Ham for the first time.
    We had many happy hours over the years with the Molinari’s——- met the Rasinis—— Pelollio—- Fioretti— Buzzi—- Cerini and dozens of other Italian racers.
    Like I said before——— Renato was old long before his time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I am proud to say I was raised by "Greatest Generation" parents. That is why next Wednesday we are going to visit the place where my Dad flew his missions. It just seem appropriate. Tonight my oldest son and I are watching " Cold Blue" on HBO. It is a documentary about the WWII 8th Air Force.
    My dad built Mustangs toward the end of the war but ozzie ones didnt actually make it to battle, they shipped US ones to Darwin
    My old boss at the Marina where I did my apprenticeship was in transport with the RAAF so was 2 steps behind in the advance party from Darwin to Japan. He was there just after the A bombs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEC3A49F-69E4-470B-8611-EC38F8457F90.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	441150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44C046AD-D7EB-4F2D-BA6A-5ADA9ADA68EF.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	422.1 KB 
ID:	441151

My dad flew thirty six missions —— all were over Germany in a Halifax bomber. Based at Linton- On- Ouse, just outside York.
    Crew were mostly Americans with a Canadian and an Australian thrown in for good measure.
    Dad was 27 when he joined up—— was the oldest member of the crew—— Archie Hearnden from Toronto at eighteen was The youngest !
    They all survived the war!
    S for Sugar was the first crew to complete all their ops with an “Aussie” on board——- they were considered “BAD LUCK” nobody would fly with them !
    Sorry pilgrim —— I can’t tell you any more than that!
    second piccy is me —— Grandma Polly ( dads mum ) and dad at his 75th birthday party.
    Dad lived to be over 90 ———- never was in hospital until the week he died.
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 06-08-2019 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Incomplete script

18. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just heading out for airport. A stop in Mass. then on to London.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your trip——- pity you missed last weeks remembrances—— they were special !

Page 681 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 181 581 631 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 731 781 1181 ... LastLast