Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When have you had to use Safety Equipment?

100 miles Offshore a fishing tournament boat crew of 7, was rescued by the Coast Guard, after the boat was hit by lightning.

EPIRB – emergency position indicating radio beacon, was a life saver.

Another scene when safety equipment was needed for an unexpected situation.

2. Thanks TooStroked thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to use multiple fire extinguishers when my water cooled regulator caught on fire on my Merc and was being fed by the battery. Wouldn’t go out. Scary chit.

Ps. Carry multiple fire extinguishers
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

4. Likes Capt.Insane-o, MattGreen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kill switch saved me a couple of times when I was learning to drive. Fire extinguisher saved the Checkmate when the engine caught fire.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost lost our 67 whaler to a cigarette butt … had put a box of shoes/flip flops that we had picked up on the way home from the river in the boat and if You have ever closed a box with too much crap in it , it leaves a little square in the top, my wife flicked her cigarette out the window, wanna guess where it went ? Yup right in the 1” square hole …… fire extinguisher saved that boat . Luckily I saw the smoke rolling out of the boat in the mirror and put it out before it really damaged it. Lol we no longer smoke cigarettes!!
    2003 mirage ski racer with e-tec power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a battery get in contact with a gas tank due to faulty rigging (I didn't rig it). No fire extinguisher would have saved it. My safety equipment was "exit stage right" and swimming to the bank. Boat burned to the water. I did save the motor though.

8. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgscroggs View Post
    Almost lost our 67 whaler to a cigarette butt … had put a box of shoes/flip flops that we had picked up on the way home from the river in the boat and if You have ever closed a box with too much crap in it , it leaves a little square in the top, my wife flicked her cigarette out the window, wanna guess where it went ? Yup right in the 1” square hole …… fire extinguisher saved that boat . Luckily I saw the smoke rolling out of the boat in the mirror and put it out before it really damaged it. Lol we no longer smoke cigarettes!!
    I am happy for you two. My late Dad could or would not kick the habit. Smoking took some years off his life.

10. Likes dgscroggs liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Had a battery get in contact with a gas tank due to faulty rigging (I didn't rig it). No fire extinguisher would have saved it. My safety equipment was "exit stage right" and swimming to the bank. Boat burned to the water. I did save the motor though.
    Wow, that is a sad loss.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, when my son was about 8, we were out on the boat. We were in Irondequoit Bay which empties into Lake Ontario. It was way too rough (3' - 5's) on the big lake to go out, but my son wanted to see what it was like. So, I donned a PFD. (Brandon already had his on.) We then went out the channel and our intent was to go out about 50 yards, then turn around and go back into the safety of the bay.

Just as we were about to turn back in, the VHF crackled to life with a Mayday. It was from a cruiser less than a mile from us that had stumbled upon a 14' john boat with 3 people onboard - a father, his 4-year-old son and the grandfather. (Nobody had life jackets - including the cruiser.) The boat was rapidly taking on water and because it was so rough, the cruiser captain didn't want to try to take them onboard. Instead, he took them into tow and put out the distress call.

Since it would take the nearest Coast Guard or Police boat at least 15 minutes to get to the scene, we went out - carefully. We arrived within 5 minutes and things didn't look good. We established communications with the cruiser and the Coast Guard, then dipped into my emergency supplies. Since it was so rough, we too had trouble getting too close to the john boat, but worked out a plan.

With the cruiser making very slow headway into the wind, we made several close passes by the john boat. On the first pass, we sent over 3 appropriately sized PFD's and had everybody put them on. On the next pass, we sent over a hand bilge pump and a 12 volt bilge pump and hose with alligator clips that I made up just for this kind of situation. Finally, since things were getting serious, we made a very close pass and took the child on board our boat where we wrapped him in warm beach towels. We then backed off just a bit and paralleled the john boat as the adults started pumping.

A few minutes later, the Calvery arrived in the form of three USCG and Monroe County Sheriff's boats. They took the adults on board and the john boat into tow. We followed them back into the bay where we transferred the child into their boat where it was safe. We told everyone to hang onto the PFD's and we'd pick them up from the MCSD office later - which we did.

Have I ever needed any of my emergency gear? Not me personally, but as you can see above, there's a reason I carry way more stuff than I'll ever need. Three other boaters are probably pretty happy that I do.
    Last edited by TooStroked; 07-02-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

13. Thanks rgsauger, Lake X Kid thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Wow, that is a sad loss.
    It was a hard hit! Knocked me out of the water for a few years.

End game was, I found this aluminum gem and put some new paint on the motor... I had already filled it full of oil after it came out of the water.

1979 100 Javelin with cooler cowl... It was a commercial cowl with my paint...

And with 18 gallons of fuel, a case of beer in an ice chest, two FAT ****s at 200 or so each... 48.6 mph GPS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	506650
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tub.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	506651

15. Likes doug7488, Capt.Insane-o, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll fess up also for deploying a fire extinguisher a couple years back. Had a fitting come loose on the fuel rail of a 2.5, and filled the engine with fuel. In my distressed state of being in distress, I wasn't using my brain to full potential. I pulled the plugs to clear the engine, and didn't cut the ignition. Even said to myself I hope this doesn't start on fire. Boom had the water on fire 20 feet behind my boat, and a nice fire in my bottom cowl, that melted some wiring.

On another note we had a bad boat crash up here yesterday. 1 dead and 3 missing out of a MTI cat. There was high winds and lots of floating debris. The boat was found upside down missing one outboard. Remember to wear that life jacket, so they can scoop you up for your family.

17. Thanks rgsauger thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My old lifeline vest, hit the water twice at 100 mph, once was a broken gimbal ring and the other a tiller arm failure.

19. Thanks rgsauger thanked for this post
    Likes OnPad, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    My old lifeline vest, hit the water twice at 100 mph, once was a broken gimbal ring and the other a tiller arm failure.
    Damn!!! Never been wet! Locked up a motor with a non ratcheting gear case at 95+ in my Allison. I did have a bit of warning and braced up... Planted my feet hard pushing back in the seat and a death grip on the wheel. I was along for the ride at that point. I figure it was a 60-90 foot semi circle.... No telling how many Gs. It was all I could do to stay in the seat!

21. Thanks rgsauger thanked for this post
    Likes OnPad, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I's not the 100 mph that sucks, it's when you get to 60-70 and stop skipping and a knee or elbow digs in.

23. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    I's not the 100 mph that sucks, it's when you get to 60-70 and stop skipping and a knee or elbow digs in.
    I always heard to ball up. But when you are flipping around, that is pretty hard. I used to ski and knee board to the extreme... One of the thing we did for fun was trying to sling each other off. We had a big round lake and the boat would run 50mph... and with a 75' rope on the whip... It was all I could do to hang on at times. No telling what I was doing when I hit the water. Well over 75 I would think... And yea, that last couple of digs hurt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooking a boat is a bitch. Hooked mine a few times learning to drive it. Thought it was possessed. Nah, it was just driver error getting off the throttle too fast without trimming down first. Now I know!
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

26. Likes Lake X Kid, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast