User Tag List

Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGang View Post
    Does your prop have PVS holes?
    Yes sir

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it cavitate as soon as you hit it? If not you may need more PVS holes. Mine cavitates almost immediately, comes on plane and then hooks up. Doesn't dog out of the hole at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it cavitate as soon as you hit it? If not you may need more PVS holes. Mine cavitates almost immediately, comes on plane and then hooks up. Doesn't dog out of the hole at all.
    Not sure what your referring to exactly but once I do get it on plane I throttle up and it picks up nicely but it's when I trim up that once it hits that sweet spot it picks up speed like a bat out of hell. I currently have all the PVS holes with the large vents in place. I've read that I should move to the smaller vents or plug them to help get more pickup out of the hole?

Edit: Got what you mean now by cavitating but how would I know if it is or not? I do have the 4 PVS holes the prop came with open with the larger plugs provided with the prop when I purchased it.
    Last edited by HighVelocity22; 07-21-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it that way. The prop slipping in the beginning when the bow first comes up is cavitation. This initial slip helps keep the engine in its power curve which enables you to run as large a prop as you are running. If it wasn't for this slip you would stand the risk of detonating the engine on take off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and looked at your original question. Is the lag out of the hole that your referring to while the prop is slipping (cavitating) and then it goes when it hooks up. If that's it that's normal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and looked at your original question. Is the lag out of the hole that your referring to while the prop is slipping (cavitating) and then it goes when it hooks up. If that's it that's normal.
    So the PVS holes should stay as is, open? I plan to go sunday to a nice flat area at the old Miami Marine stadium to open it up and see what kind of speeds I can achieve. I've reached 67+ with 3 people, a heavy back bench and over half a tank and I only backed down because I had to turn but the boat also walks/chimes once out of the water which has prevented me from really topping it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes holes open. You'll get the walk under control with some seat time.

8. Likes dominicnoon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity22 View Post
    I only backed down because I had to turn but the boat also walks/chimes once out of the water which has prevented me from really topping it out.
    HighVelocity, mine used to chine walk like at bi**h till I learned how to drive it.
    PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG.....I'm NOT saying that you don't know how to drive yours!!!!!
    I didn't know how to drive mine, even though I thought I did. From what I have learned on this thread, I was nowhere near as experienced as I thought I was.

I was told / shown to trim out of 1/2 then drive through the chine walk. Thing is, that I was scared to death of it, nearly messed up a few times!!!!! I did a bit of reading here and found out that the 22s run much better flat, so i tucked back in for speed, and voila, handling was amazing and speeds were up in the low to mid 70s with 3 males, full tank of gas, 1 foot chop, salt water, 30 degrees OAT. With every change in config / weight, trim sweet spot would be slightly different in order to get the hull to run on the pad. The first time I thought there was something wrong. The ride became kind of mushy, no more jolts from the chop, but the speed just kept increasing....thought my trusty old Blackberry GPS was messing around. Then I really understood what the guys were saying about really learning to drive "my own boat". I never knew it had this kind of speed in it when I bought it. Another velocity owner told me how to drive mine, but that was just how he drove his, and it worked for him.....just not for me.

Good luck.

Dominic
    Last edited by dominicnoon; 07-21-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicnoon View Post
    HighVelocity, mine used to chine walk like at bi**h till I learned how to drive it.
    PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG.....I'm NOT saying that you don't know how to drive yours!!!!!
    I didn't know how to drive mine, even though I thought I did. From what I have learned on this thread, I was nowhere near as experienced as I thought I was.

I was told / shown to trim out of 1/2 then drive through the chine walk. Thing is, that I was scared to death of it, nearly messed up a few times!!!!! I did a bit of reading here and found out that the 22s run much better flat, so i tucked back in for speed, and voila, handling was amazing and speeds were up in the low to mid 70s with 3 males, full tank of gas, 1 foot chop, salt water, 30 degrees OAT. With every change in config / weight, trim sweet spot would be slightly different in order to get the hull to run on the pad. The first time I thought there was something wrong. The ride became kind of mushy, no more jolts from the chop, but the speed just kept increasing....thought my trusty old Blackberry GPS was messing around. Then I really understood what the guys were saying about really learning to drive "my own boat". I never knew it had this kind of speed in it when I bought it. Another velocity owner told me how to drive mine, but that was just how he drove his, and it worked for him.....just not for me.

Good luck.

Dominic
    Thanks man and no offense taken, it's true, the only experience I have with high speeds is heavier boats that include my father's 31 Sonic SS with twin 502's pushing 1,200 horses and a 36 Avance with 300x's promax and being that both were heavy they were much easier to get to plane out and just open up and trim to obtain top speeds. With this light of a hull I freak out with such a shallow boat coming up and out of the water and just walking all over so I pull back momentarily until it evens out and then I punch again and repeat which is why I haven't reached its full potential

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... so I need some help here. I recently changed the midsection on my 300 opti to the 20" as noted to be what these 22's run, I'm running a 28P Promax 4-blade prop, I have K-plane 28's but i keep them tucked up when trying to top out and still I'm having trouble beating the 68 mph mark. The boat does have a pretty heavy custom back bench and full electronics but I myself weight only 150, the gf weighs 112 and we were running with about 3/4 tank of fuel. Recommendations on getting into the 70's? Engine height has my prop shaft about even with the drain hole if not ~1/2 an inch under and motor sits on a CMC 5.5" manual jackplate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year hull?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year hull?
    ‘86

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somethings not adding up. Do you know any history on the hull. I'm thinking either your hull is wet or your engine is only making about 200 HP. I presume if your running a 28 Promax you must have 1.75 gears. What RPM are you turning? If it were me I would first do a leak down on engine and make sure its running correctly. If all checks out then weigh the boat. Do you know anyone who has a moisture meter?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somethings not adding up. Do you know any history on the hull. I'm thinking either your hull is wet or your engine is only making about 200 HP. I presume if your running a 28 Promax you must have 1.75 gears. What RPM are you turning? If it were me I would first do a leak down on engine and make sure its running correctly. If all checks out then weigh the boat. Do you know anyone who has a moisture meter?
    History I have is that the boat belonged to someone here in Miami who got caught doing something he shouldn’t have, not was seized and went to auction and I bought it off Don who’s on here as well which had the boat for a few months until he sold it because he got another (bigger) toy. I do in fact have 1:75 gears and turned the 28P promax to 5100-5200 RPMs and I just recently tried a Special 28P chopper style which I spun to 5300 on a choppy 1-2’ windy day. No moisture meter and not sure where I could find someone in my area who’d be able to do that for me but I should probably look into it.
    Last edited by HighVelocity22; 11-16-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    rpms are low for that motor and prop JMO

Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast