Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inflation, inflation, inflation.

When most think of inflation, they focus on the purchase price of goods. The focus SHOULD be on the dollar in your wallet, which is worth less and less.

Debt isn't always a bad thing.

Debt....The businessman understands if they can beat the cost of debt (the interest rate) then they should incur the debt and invest what could have been used to purchase the item outright. This, along side of the cash being devalued, is where the "cash is trash" mindset come from. It isn't tought in school, but should be.

RDPD says you got 50k and wanna buy a car or boat with it. Poor dad spends the 50k on a depreciating asset. Rich Dad puts 50k down on a rental house, finance the rest, finance the car, the rental income pays the car payment, after 5 years the car is paid for, the rental property still generates income and gaining equity with every payment made and hopefully the value goes up. The entire time, the tenant pays for it all. Poor dad pissed away his cash. Rich dad uses debt to generate wealth.

When the affordable boat topic come up, it's not boats, it's everything. The cost of materials, transportation, labor rates, it's everything. The answer? Well it's you. Yes YOU. You need to figure out how to generate the income to keep up with inflation. It's that simple.

Jr.
    Last edited by Speed Jr.; 03-12-2023 at 09:10 AM.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

2. Thanks rgsauger thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, rgsauger, JPEROG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In November 1977 I bought my first new vehicle, striped Ford E150, $ 5,000. that I drove for 360,000 miles, I was making about $11.00 per hour,

Now $38,000. so that's 7.6 times as much, or 84.00 dollars per hour, who gets paid that much per hour now?

My first house on the water two story with full basement with a 40 foot boat house, party deck on top, concrete ramp, winch, $46,000. 1978, crazy man.

The working man is doomed.
    We have invented the world; WE see

4. Likes Lake X Kid, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy a lottery ticket every week so I can keep dreaming.

6. Likes David - WI, Baker343 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any info on costs or availability, but cooperider on the Checkmate website (persuader boats) was able to save the 21 and 24 foot Pulsare Checkmate molds and has gotten hisself a building in Bucyrus, Ohio and intends to build new boats. He is on facebook making I believe 13 and 16 foot boats and now is aiming for the bigger boats. Something to think about.
    Last edited by 1954bmw; 03-12-2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: more lies

8. Thanks TraceF3, Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, Baker343 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954bmw View Post
    I don't have any info on costs or availability, but cooperider on the Checkmate website (persuader boats) was able to save the 21 and 24 foot Pulsare Checkmate molds and has gotten hisself a building in Bucyrus, Ohio and intends to build new boats. He is on facebook making I believe 13 and 16 foot boats and now is aiming for the bigger boats. Something to think about.
    I've had both and loved them. There's a pretty big difference between a 21 and 24 though. Driving both the 24 is noticeably bigger and the 21 is noticeably smaller.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post

When most think of inflation, they focus on the purchase price of goods. The focus SHOULD be on the dollar in your wallet, which is worth less and less.

Debt isn't always a bad thing.

Debt....The businessman understands if they can beat the cost of debt (the interest rate) then they should incur the debt and invest what could have been used to purchase the item outright. This, along side of the cash being devalued, is where the "cash is trash" mindset come from. It isn't tought in school, but should be.

RDPD says you got 50k and wanna buy a car or boat with it. Poor dad spends the 50k on a depreciating asset. Rich Dad puts 50k down on a rental house, finance the rest, finance the car, the rental income pays the car payment, after 5 years the car is paid for, the rental property still generates income and gaining equity with every payment made and hopefully the value goes up. The entire time, the tenant pays for it all. Poor dad pissed away his cash. Rich dad uses debt to generate wealth.

When the affordable boat topic come up, it's not boats, it's everything. The cost of materials, transportation, labor rates, it's everything. The answer? Well it's you. Yes YOU. You need to figure out how to generate the income to keep up with inflation. It's that simple.

Jr.
    Anyone who has not read the book "Rich dad, Poor dad" owes it to themselves to do so. Larry is exactly right, when inflation hits like we knew it was going to "read some old post and check the dates on my statements", a what would normally be a depreciating asset suddenly holds its value better then cash and you are also able to enjoy it or its ownership benefits. Our dollar is following what every other major currency has done in the past. Give yourself a history lesson and look it up. We will soon be carrying 500.00 and 1000.00 bills on our person and it will be no big deal.

Joe

11. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, Speed Jr., powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    I buy a lottery ticket every week so I can keep dreaming.
    Getting out of the house an hour earlier and coming back in an hour later will make your dreams come true. The harder I work and the more I learn, the luckier I get.... 100% fact-

Joe

13. Thanks Instigator, sharpeye Mike thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, this is true! Be kind, fair and work hard and you will find yourself being one of those "lucky" people. Luck is the residue of design and hard work.
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie
    3.75@199mph with LSX power!!!

15. Thanks JPEROG thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, Speed Jr., rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post

Jr.
    However, in the subprime mortgage housing crash of 2008, the Rich Dad economic strategy took a massive downturn. The market fluctuations will surely eventually bite every economic theorist and most investors.

Also, the boating industry is a pleasure craft business, not necessarily a need.
    That is one reason I did not go into a boating dealership, when my Dad proposed - do we (him & me) want to do it.

Kudos to all the successful dealers out there. Dad and I knew some of those owners personally.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    However, in the subprime mortgage housing crash of 2008, the Rich Dad economic strategy took a massive downturn. The market fluctuations will surely eventually bite every economic theorist and most investors.

Also, the boating industry is a pleasure craft business, not necessarily a need.
    That is one reason I did not go into a boating dealership, when my Dad proposed - do we (him & me) want to do it.

Kudos to all the successful dealers out there. Dad and I knew some of those owners personally.
    The 2008 bubble was the best thing to ever happen to me. I graduated from college in 07 and jumped in to real estate from 09-on. I pray we have a similar opportunity, but don't think I'll ever see those kind of deals again in my lifetime. I played it safe, only bought a dozen properties or so. Wish I leveraged everything and bought 50. I learned. Rent has more than doubled since then due to such a shortage of supply as most have cashed out. While some are fixated on property values, others only care about cashflow. There is pain coming, but it won't be for the land owners....
    Last edited by Speed Jr.; 03-12-2023 at 09:13 PM.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

The 2008 crash was a forced move. That paper was performing at 90+%. I was very very heavily involved with securitized mortgage sales. There was never a loan produced or bought that was not pushed for by the secondary market and people on wallstreet. The guys that hedged against FANI and FREDDIE pushed for all of that collateral to be written down in value. That caused leaman brothers to fail and the rest of the market went into panic mode and followed the request. The wholesale mortgage industry was shut down within three weeks as credit lines were pulled from brokers and banks. This made several billionaires and hurt hundreds of thousands of people in the process. I don't agree with some of the negative amortization products that Washington Mutal was pushing and brought to the market, but again "they had buyers begging for it".

The only time you got hurt in 2008 was if you needed to liquidate. The only three things that matter in R.E. location, location, and location. Good areas maintained occupancy and weathered the storm just fine.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are no affordable "new" boats or motors being produced today. If you don't think so, try to sell a boat that you bought in the last year , tomorrow morning .. and get back to me at lunch time ..
    (I was gonna say: pimps for mfg's need not apply. But yea, that goes for you too)

Those that had money handed to them or didn't have to earn it over a period of a lifetime ... can act like .. it doesn't matter what things cost today. They "might" buy it, because, just like a crow, they can't pass up something shiny ..

Those who scrimped and saved by eating peanut butter and jelly sammichs .. know the value of a dollar, and refuse to "throw it away" on childhood fantasy's during times of runaway pricing. You won't sell it to them.

I was / am invested in Wall St. and watched the comma being moved to the left, right up until the second plane hit the south tower. I said to myself, this is America, I ain't moving a nickel. It didn't come back to where it was or beyond, until Trump took office. I'm glad I made some changes, before he left office. Live and learn.

Should I have bought the whole block , when I bought my house.. of course. If I put my house up a few years later to do so, I could have made a small fortune. But I could have also had to move my family out to the gutter. Where I could say .. I .. err .. we, almost had that brand new boat, porkchops and gayazz EV ..

To the wealthy land barons, be careful of the little people you look down on .. as a friend of mine says .. the sun don't shine on the same dogs azz every day.
    Which I take to mean .. you might find yourself the owner of Silicon Vally Bank one day, and flippin burgers the next ...

Some nice real estate .. in Detroit ...

Everyone (the majority) is lookin to buy new stuff in a fluttering economy ..
    A mall or two has to be a great investment ...

If your kids like to do tricks with their skateboard ...

20. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI, 22R liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. The mall pics are nuts
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I can't afford an out of the mold river racer with a 400hp pork chop. I was under the impression that this site was about finding forgotten hulls and trying to bring them back to their heyday. Like finding mid and late 60's hot rod's that we all miss. I will keep playing with fiberglass and smoker's.
    Last edited by Baker343; 03-13-2023 at 12:41 AM.

23. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes 22R, Instigator, rock, sharpeye Mike liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that's how it started... when I first came here guys were putting new 280's on new STV Euros; but those days are over (for now).

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

25. Likes Instigator liked this post
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast