Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    I've been watching F1 since the Tyrrell 6 wheel car days and Ferrari has made that claim at least 6-7 times. They aren't going anywhere, IMO.
    What else do they compete in besides F1, WEC LMGT Pro/AM and IMSA GTLM-GTD. Heck, one of their most successful GT teams isn't from Italy but Houston,Tx; Risi Competizione.
    Don't underestimate The Serg. The guy is a f*cking prick head cutter of enormous proportions. Merc, Ferrari, and Renault have invested retardulous amounts of loot in their power unit designs and aren't going to go the cookie cutter route without a lot of drama. Mercedes has made equal amounts of threats on suspending the f1 program when their feathers were ruffled.

2. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "power unit" change on the horizon is apparantly going to get rid of the motor generator unit / heat which is the electric generator turned by the exhaust turbine. Have not seen for sure if the electric motor to spin up the turbo compresor will still be around. This is for 2020. Keeping the rest of the hybrid crap and fuel limits so they can pretend to be relevant to road car technology.

My guess is Ferrari would be fine with old school normally aspirated engines without hybrid and fuel limits. But maybe not Mercedes, Renault and Honda.

Anyone think Honda will get their act together now they are free of the clown show at McLaren? And will McLaren the fastest or slowest Mercedes (customer) powered chassis? They were slowest last time.
    Last edited by BarryStrawn; 12-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.

4. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with hybrid power in F1. It's what is the current future with most auto manufacturers. So I understand them wanting it to be part of the sport. I think where they went wrong is making it so damn complicated. It looks like they rushed into expanding how much they could "hybridize" the engine package that they leaped before they looked.

I'd love to see the engine package simpler where more manufacturers would want to get involved with F1. Aston Martin has said they want to get into F1 as an engine supplier but can't under the current package; it's too damn expensive.

Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes need to be reigned in IMO. They want to be the only game in town with all their money and power. Well I don't see F1 surviving with them being the only engine suppliers. Too few engine suppliers who can produce winning packages isn't any better than cars that only differ in color.

F1 is suppose to be a manufacturers/constructors championship, not an engine package championship.
    If they are going to stay with a complicated engine package the only way I see it working is if the FIA steps in and homogenizes each manufacturers engine package where every team gets the same thing, like in Nascar and Indy Car.

I think Red Bull was smart in teaming Toro Roso with Honda. With Renault back as a constructor as soon a Renault start fighting up front they aren't going to want competition from Red Bull. If Honda can deliver a competitive engine package Red Bull can move to Honda power and not rely on Renault power. Plus IF F1 can get cost effective engine rules in effect then Red Bull also has Aston Martin to look to for power. Seeing how next year they are coming on as a sponsor.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/21...-concepts-2021

As for McLaren, they had to do something to move up the field and fast. The only way they could do that was to change engine suppliers. We will see how good their chassis is next year as they are going to use an "evolved" version of it for 2018.
    Their move away from Mercedes cost them big time. I never understood their move to Honda power. Honda's last time in F1 wasn't successful and Honda spent plenty of money for it to be.
    I think Rod Dennis was wearing rose colored glasses from the Senna era at McLaren when he went with Honda power.

Capt. Insane-O, that word retardulous cracked me up.
    Last edited by CDave; 12-22-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

7. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think Ron was in charge when McClaren went back to Honda.
    Mercedes have over 1000 staff on the F1 team, thats nearly as silly as how much money Toyota spent and couldnt get a car on the podium.
    Everyone forgets there are only a handful of guys that can design a winning car and thats far less than the entrants.
    Have a look at the F1 wins be it either driver or manufacturer, same couple of guys always involved.

9. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron was just one of the clowns at McLaren. And he was in control when they left Mercedes for Honda. Which was a gamble but staying with Mercedes was certain to be second class. But counting up the DNFs that were not power unit shows they suck.

11. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryStrawn View Post
    Ron was just one of the clowns at McLaren. And he was in control when they left Mercedes for Honda. Which was a gamble but staying with Mercedes was certain to be second class. But counting up the DNFs that were not power unit shows they suck.
    Yep your right, I just read that when he came back to replace Whitmarsh he signed the Honda deal, I was thinking he was out of the F1 team the whole time.
    Last edited by powerabout; 12-22-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the other stupid rules they had were the grid spot penalties.

They force the teams to build hybrid contraptions then penalize them when they break!
    Some of the guys were getting 30 grid spot penalties!

To me the whole hybrid thing is like the NFL players taking a knee. Didnt watch ball to be preached to and quit accordingly.

I dont watch F-1 to be preached to about being green either.

IMO, it should be cu.in. displacement limit, min weight limit and turn em loose.
    Thats what F-1 is supposed to be. The very forefront of technology.
    I know it hurts the small teams but none of cost control rules has ever worked in any motor sport Ive seen. Other than claimer classes.

The new direct injected gas motors are approaching the efficiency of diesels already and you take away government grants and the electrics die on the vine.

What was wrong w/a 2.5 liter V-10 turning 25k anyway??
    Cant imagine many fans prefering the hybrids to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryStrawn View Post
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

14. Likes loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think they should change the engine rule to you can change an engine/engine component or gearbox IF it is about to fail without a penalty. Then the FIA gets the item in question to inspect it to see if it was going to fail. If it was going to fail then no penalty, if not then a 10 grid spot penalty. Other than that they run the same engine and gearbox all weekend.

Then set each team to 6 engines a year. No compounding penalties of car parts. The largest penalty is what is used, no other penalties count. Also why not every team have a choice to 2 or 3 gearbox suppliers. I really don't see the point in each team building their own.
    Last edited by CDave; 12-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The limits on engine components and gearboxes was their bright idea of saving money. At least it was supposed to reduce costs for the smaller teams rather than imposing some cost limitations the big boys didn't want. And the grid penalties are the only penalty with real teeth so it is what it is. Unpopular, but not going to change until at least 2020 unless 100% of the teams agree on the same specific changes.

2020 will be a new commercial agreement with the potential to change anything. So lots could change. Teams will have to decide to sign a new contract to participate or not. That is why Ferrari is negotiating in public.

17. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    I think they should change the engine rule to you can change an engine/engine component or gearbox IF it is about to fail without a penalty. Then the FIA gets the item in question to inspect it to see if it was going to fail. If it was going to fail then no penalty, if not then a 10 grid spot penalty. Other than that they run the same engine and gearbox all weekend.

Then set each team to 6 engines a year. No compounding penalties of car parts. The largest penalty is what is used, no other penalties count. Also why not every team have a choice to 2 or 3 gearbox suppliers. I really don't see the point in each team building their own.
    they spend lots of the gearbox, so its a major development area in the past., carbon titanium cases and such like, huge money.
    F1 could make it a spec part if they wanted to and the teams agreed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post

They force the teams to build hybrid contraptions then penalize them when they break!

To me the whole hybrid thing is like the NFL players taking a knee. Didnt watch ball to be preached to and quit accordingly.

I dont watch F-1 to be preached to about being green either.

IMO, it should be cu.in. displacement limit, min weight limit and turn em loose.
    Thats what F-1 is supposed to be. The very forefront of technology.
    I know it hurts the small teams but none of cost control rules has ever worked in any motor sport Ive seen. Other than claimer classes.

The new direct injected gas motors are approaching the efficiency of diesels already and you take away government grants and the electrics die on the vine.

What was wrong w/a 2.5 liter V-10 turning 25k anyway??
    Cant imagine many fans prefering the hybrids to that.
    Once the car manufacturers joined in they wanted to do sh1t that the punters relate to their cars, I think thats what has helped kill it.
    When it was just private race teams it was a bit different
    Bernie and the FIA decided it should be relevant so instead of unique technology for F1 cars, the money should be spent on usable technology, hence KERS etc

PS V8 22,000 was the best ever done.
    https://www.f1technical.net/features/18858
    Last edited by powerabout; 12-26-2017 at 02:43 AM.

20. Likes Instigator, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post

30? I thought they were going to make Alonso start at the door step of the Honda factory a few times.

22. Likes CDave, powerabout, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure of the "record" for grid spot penalties, but Louise Hamilton had a 55 place penalty at Spa in 2016. With the dominant engine package. It was such a cynical manipulation of the rules by Mercedes the FIA actually changed the rule. After the fact of course so nobody else could to the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the technology of F1, but the rules always favor one team. There is so much arrogance in F1, I could care less if the whole series folds.

I am not a business expert, but I would not have purchased F1, I think it peeked already.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast