Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the help, Mark75H!!
    I do wonder though if the '65 100HP motor you talk about had the Thunderbolt ignition like ours has. Our ignition has the yellow wires that say Thunderbolt right on them along with the Thunderbolt nameplates. Ignition parts shown for the 100HP shows different parts than what we have. And I do need to call Dave! It's on my list of things to do very soon. Still interrogating different systems. This group has been great, btw. Soo much info to process.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    17762243 resolves to a standard (non-BP)1965 100hp powerhead. Without the original 1969 powerhead and a functioning lower unit, its not that valuable or really worthy of hunting down the $2000+ BP lower unit that does not have a reputation for reliability. Dave is right, a stock shifter case is the best thing.

as is, the desireable parts you have are the louvered cowl and the driveshaft tower and adapter. You will have a lot of people trying to buy them from you, even if you want to keep them.
    the picture above of the power head Leary shows the unique transfer port cover used only on the 1250 power head.

3. Thanks B2Z thanked for this post
    Likes B2Z liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Screamandfly World.
    Just curious what people think this might be worth in these two scenerios:
    1) We redo wiring, new plug wires, completely go through the carbs, plugs and fix the Control linkage but leave the lower end as-is (needing to be replaced).
    Or
    2) We find a lower unit to rebuild (or buy ready to install) and do all of number 1 listed above. I'm essence go through all of it and make it water-worthy.

My son and I want to see it running again and to live again, either on his boat or somewhere else. We feel it's too awesome of a boat motor with such a cool look to it. But if we decide to let someone else take of it in one of three conditions--- A) "as-is condition, not running, no working lower, needs lots of work, B) in a "took care of upper systems, runs great but no lower end", or C) a complete running unit ready to install to try in the water"? Where would a great place to sell it? I live an Colorado about an hour north of Denver

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    without the original powerhead, you won't be 5 cents ahead. You might even loose ground with the cost of additional parts.

The weight and bulk of the common standard powerhead will cut so much in to the value because of shipping that very few people will bite on the whole thing. It happens over and over when people misjudge the value of supposedly rare racing stuff.

The best profit would be in selling the louvered cowl, mid section and adapter on the bottom of the mid separate from the heavy and common parts.

eBay, a few specialty sites on Facebook and here on Screamandfly are THE premium places to get the most cash for something like this.

I'm going to repeat myself - the standard 1965 powerhead is an anchor that holds back the value.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smyth View Post
    the picture above of the power head Leary shows the unique transfer port cover used only on the 1250 power head.
    You are correct, but as a US serial number its 1965. If the first digit was a 2 instead of a 1, it would resolve to a 1969 1250. Maybe its a Canadian number for 1968 or 69 1250. Maybe that's what it is, but its still a stock powerhead. An anchor to most people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zack and I (you too, Ian) are considering parting it out. I would like to know some FAIR prices for whatever anyone may want/need off this motor. I will sit on it and make it a future project if you try low-balling me, so please be kind and reasonable. It sparks like crazy so the distributor and the ignition coil works great; carbs would need to be gone-through but would clean up nice; the cowl is in decent shape (not perfect but looks frickin' awesome); a super BP midsection and adapter. I know I've gotten quite a few messages for parts so I thought I would throw it out there. If anything strikes you shoot me a message, and if you already messaged me you will have to message me again (sorry).
    Kind regards,
    ~Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dibbs on the louvered cowling!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices..... Just from a sipper.... Hic....250 cowle....250 adaptor....Bigg one750 for mid... if the tilt tube is not busted.... 300 for 125 non race motor. parted you you will do OK. JMO...

10. Thanks B2Z thanked for this post
    Likes B2Z liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The cowl may get a little more than $250; its the piece in most demand. The adapter may have a hard time finding a home, but the price is not too bad. I don't know how much market there is for a 125 powerhead; Dave's estimate might be right or wrong. The short lower unit has some value by itself. The market for racing outboard stuff is past its peak and prices are starting to fall. Consider that I bought a very nice tunnel hull Allison with a Merc Twister for less than $3000 late this summer and I know where to find more tunnel hulls.

Sometimes eBay is the best place to sell this kind of thing. I would definitely be interested in the mid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sold louvered cowls that needed full repair and paint for over $300. 1250 power head is a crap shoot, you need to find someone who wants one. A weird motor with hard to find unique pistons. The mid,if it isn’t cracked at the tilt tube, is worth $500- $700. Those adapters came in two different thicknesses, 2 3/4 inches and 3 3/4 inches approx. the thicker one is what folks need to run a standard 15 inch fishing motor lower unit or standard length SSM lower. My 2 cents.......

13. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I wasn't too far off ....part it out and buy a 87 115 adi motor.

15. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where exactly do the BP mids crack at the tilt tube? Anyone have some pictures of a cracked one? I've been running a 1350 on a 69 BP mid I found. Should I be concerned about it cracking? I've got a regular short mid I could swap it on if it's likely to crack.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started the crack thing.... because the 2 I have were cracked. Most likely because of salt water pushing the casting. The crack shows up under the tube, weakest point. Just something to pay attention to .

18. Thanks starviper10, B2Z thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2