Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    <!--StartFragment-->Good morning, Chaz.....

I will do my best to explain.

My 2020 300R engine has 238 Hours on it and is serviced as scheduled per the manual. This is the first mishap that the motor has had, and I run it fairly hard here in the swamps and also have enough modern electronics to play the bass fishing game. Do I think the alternator should have gone out....Hell No!!!! But it did and as with any toy that i have, if it breaks, I fix it. I took it in for warranty (bought 7 years of Platinum warranty) and the shop verified the alt was burnt up and placed a new one on order through Mercury. Mercury came back with an expected ship date of 28 Feb. I am not willing to let my boat sit at the shop for a month if the part even arrives early Mar. Ship date is estimated and not guaranteed. So, I sucked up the cost of the new part to get my boat back. Mercury is willing to try and reimburse if upper management approves it. I am not willing miss a month of fishing. It is worth the cost of the part to me to get back on the water. Me buying the part is all me and not Mercury.

Hope this better explains the situation I was in and what I was willing to do to get my boat back. I really love the motor and If I get another boat, it will have another 300R on the back. i know you are not a fan of them, but we all sacrifice time and money to play with our toys. <!--EndFragment-->
    Elwood, it's a piece of machinery. I don't hate any machinery, not even the 300r .. (but don't tell most of the owners that bought one and changed their name from Smith to Smyth .. they are so easy, I probably shouldn't pick .. as is appears that their entire self-esteem rides on owning .. err .. being part of "the cult" )

You said : you sucked it up, and paid the price of a new one. Where did that one come from ... ???
    It also sounds like you had the dealer install it .... is that correct .. ???
    As mentioned, you shouldn't have to take any part of that on yourself. A dealer that wants you business will go out of their way to make you happy.
    And it won't take upper management to approve your refund. Call the customer service number, they will take care of it. It's their job to make you happy. You can even ask them for your local TAM's (roving shot caller) rep's phone number, to expedite your refund / replacement.
    Making you wait on an easy fix, or giving you the idea that it won't be covered .. See why I don't care for them &^$^&** @#%@@%^ folks ...

Now I will say this ... if you have four battery's. And they somehow are wired thru a Perco switch and you have the "engine running" and say to yourself ... I need to charge those trolling battery's and turn the switch from #1 to #2 or to all. In that brief moment between poles ... there is a little guy in the regulator circuit that can't handle the voltage spike (dead time where the voltage has nowhere to go) and will fry. I have seen it many times before. (they should still honor it once and explain it to you)
    There was a guy a few miles from me that told me .. oh sir, the armature overheated and is burned out. The heat also took the bearings out as well. It will cost $280 something dollars to rebuild. I didn't bother telling them that one on E-bay was $115
    An electrical contractor friend of mine said .. go see the old man at Palm Beach Generator ,, I did, he fixed the board (many now) for $35 dollars each ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Elwood, it's a piece of machinery. I don't hate any machinery, not even the 300r .. (but don't tell most of the owners that bought one and changed their name from Smith to Smyth .. they are so easy, I probably shouldn't pick .. as is appears that their entire self-esteem rides on owning .. err .. being part of "the cult" )

You said : you sucked it up, and paid the price of a new one. Where did that one come from ... ???
    It also sounds like you had the dealer install it .... is that correct .. ???
    As mentioned, you shouldn't have to take any part of that on yourself. A dealer that wants you business will go out of their way to make you happy.
    And it won't take upper management to approve your refund. Call the customer service number, they will take care of it. It's their job to make you happy. You can even ask them for your local TAM's (roving shot caller) rep's phone number, to expedite your refund / replacement.
    Making you wait on an easy fix, or giving you the idea that it won't be covered .. See why I don't care for them &^$^&** @#%@@%^ folks ...

Now I will say this ... if you have four battery's. And they somehow are wired thru a Perco switch and you have the "engine running" and say to yourself ... I need to charge those trolling battery's and turn the switch from #1 to #2 or to all. In that brief moment between poles ... there is a little guy in the regulator circuit that can't handle the voltage spike (dead time where the voltage has nowhere to go) and will fry. I have seen it many times before. (they should still honor it once and explain it to you)
    There was a guy a few miles from me that told me .. oh sir, the armature overheated and is burned out. The heat also took the bearings out as well. It will cost $280 something dollars to rebuild. I didn't bother telling them that one on E-bay was $115
    An electrical contractor friend of mine said .. go see the old man at Palm Beach Generator ,, I did, he fixed the board (many now) for $35 dollars each ...

Alright I am going to take this bit by bit.......

I love the old school Mercs and the sound of the big block two strokes but, also love my 4.6 V-8 four stroke that I just put gas in a go! I am not part of the cult. My daily driver is a F250 Tremor Ford 6.7 liter turbo diesel and my wife has a Tesla. Both fit what we want in life.

Yes I did suck up the price/cost of the actual alternator. In the end Mercury wanted to be in contact with both dealerships in order for the transfer to be legit and be paid for by the warranty. I did not completely understand the process and dropped the ball. But in hind sight I would still be waiting on my boat for all of the agencies to get their **** straight. Towed it home tonight and will be fishing and setting water on fire tomorrow!!!. So in the end....Mercury paid for all of the labor and the belt that was shredded and I payed for the alternator out of my pocket. I have paid much more for a weekend of fun and now I will be doing 85 plus on my favorite lake this weekend. It was completely my choice to bypass the system and get my boat back early. Should I have to even deal with this...F... No!!! A rebuilt is not even in the equation as it will void my warranty that has yet to pay for its self but with four years left it has oppertunities.

My batteries are very simple. One group 31 NorthStar is for the big motor and all of the electronics....yes everything. I do not have poles on my boat....can't stand them and they slow you down. And I have a 36 volt trolling motor that is powered by 3 group 27 NorthStar's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...true what chaz said about battery switch and going back and forth with it. need a battery switch with a field disconnect built into it/them....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy answer. Just put aftermarket crap on whatever & remove it for warranty claims. No secret here. RR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I thought you were a member of the cult ... i would have never said anything even close to what I did in my first paragraph ...

I did not recommend using : rebuilt or chinese. Only what I have paid in the past / present. And what a scumbag will try to do to ya in a time of need ..

I did tell you what kills the alternator. If an authorized dealer didn't warn you .. then Merc should send ME a CHECK for doing their employee's job ...
    Cuz ifin ya didn't know ..
    Chaz thinkin you might be so happy to pay for the next one ...
    Glad it worked out for ya ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKETMANJP View Post
    Why does your dealer HAVE to get the part directly from Merc? Why can't they do a dealer-to-dealer transfer if another dealer has the part? Your dealer should be able to send the other dealer the bad alt. to send back to Merc to warranty it. It all sounds crazy to me. I have a 300R and this kind of stuff scares me!
    Back in OZ and you were desperate for a part Merc would contact all the dealers they had ever shipped the part to ask if they still had it, if so they would get it to you. Great service

( Merc was only distributor in OZ)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Merc is scalping us on new parts very badly. A new PCU for my opti is 2700 dollars! What a rip off!
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 02-04-2023 at 09:40 AM.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

8. Likes crazy horse liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Merc is scalping us on new parts very badly. A new PCU for my opti is 2700 dollars! What a rip off!
    I think the same thing when I see a 20 year old used 2.5 pop up for sale online.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post
    I think the same thing when I see a 20 year old used 2.5 pop up for sale online.
    Glad you agree Jr. Just the next person in line to get f***ed ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Glad you agree Jr. Just the next person in line to get f***ed ..
    Just because you have first hand experience in getting bent over doesn't mean I would agree with it. Just stating the obvious. If overpriced old stuff suits you so be it. I prefer overpriced new stuff. Similar but different. The new stuff will be old someday and trickle down to you like everything else. To each their own.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Junior,

Only thing I got from that is ..... you like getting bent over ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thread came out a few years ago when the 4 strokes hit the scene and a poster said the price of 2 strokes would plummet like they did in the Motocross world. He made a comment about 1200-dollar 2 stroke bikes, and I commented, I can't wait to find me a 1200-dollar 200XS.....I am still looking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no fight in the war developing but the fact that I paid out of pocket for the part is all me. If I had the time to go through the proper channels then Mercury would have paid for it. The part is hard to find and I had a dealer with one in hand and bought I on the spot. Put me in my boat this week end and it ran perfectly.

15. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it's better to just get it done.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlriverrat View Post
    If you are happy, then why did you start this thread?
    Per the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    My 300R just toasted the alternator and Mercury is of course out of stock. Soonest ship date is 28 Feb and we all know how that can continually get pushed out further. Just my luck....hunting season is over and the fish are moving up. Anyone got a got source or in stock 8M0142248 Mercury ALT?

Venting!!!!

Elwood

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast