PDA

View Full Version : Moving on up to a 2005 60/40 Merc jet

jetriverfish
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Should be a nice step up from my 1994 40/30 Merc jet I've owned since new. Boat is a 1994 16'x48" Weldbilt and I purchased the rig originally at old Phil's Marine in Rola, MO. That place may bring back memories for some of you Current River guys. Hope to see you all on the river this year as I missed coming down there last year. That won't happen again!

jetriverfish
01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Put the down payment on the motor today on my way to work. I bought it from Fred at Current River Marine and I must say what a nice guy he is as he met me at the shop on a Sunday. He gave me a very,very fair deal compared to what another dealer in St. James wanted for the same motor and Fred had only two left. I told him if I ever get a new boat and trailer I'll be buying from him even though I had to go about 150 miles further to make the deal.:)

Man does he have alot of boats there!!!!!!:D

150aintenuff
02-05-2006, 11:26 AM
hope you got the 2 stroke and not hte 4 stroke 60. you will be happy for sure.. its a strong motor.. and you gain more like 15 hp over your current set up than 10...

jetriverfish
02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Yep 150 I got the 2 stroke 40hp jet. Mercury like others fibbed on the HP output so the motors could be legally used on National Scenic Rivers like the Current and Jacks Fork. Originally Merc had 45hp on the cowl but when Johnson & Yamaha rated theirs 40 and jumped up in sales Merc changed theirs too! :D

When the HP limit was intiated my old motor was the biggest you could run in most sections but they changed it a year or two later under some business and political pressure I believe. They changed it from a powerhead rating to a jet output rating.

Most rivers I use by home have no limits but I love to go to the Current every year for the great scenery and some smallmouth bass fishing.

150aintenuff
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
the rating changes were because the FACTORY started offering them OEM and thus had to submit them to NMMA standards.. .the 45-40 switch was because they wernt consistant from the pump at 45 due to design and tollerance issues with the clearences at the impeller through out all of OBJ's pumps in that HP range. thus to meet the 10% rule and other HP restrictions with in the nation the manufactures dropped the HP to 40 rather than 45.. also 70% of 60 is 42 not 45 and when compared side by side a 60 jet was closer to 40 prop than 45 prop the testing was done AFTER several complaints of not running like they were told they should

kenstl
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
sent you a pm regarding your 40/30.

Ken