PDA

View Full Version : Next Scenario

Russ
05-24-2001, 07:43 AM
Ok, Matt, take this for what it's worth, and will give you something else to question people with that your dealing with to remedy your piston sticking problem. The JSRE chest work is likely not a factor here. The 2% fuel recurve from Shawn is not a factor either and will serve to wash down the piston more with fuel and lubrication on the top end of things. However, sometimes the fuel recurve work that has been done has in fact not really "taken". In other words hasn't changed the curve or perhaps has taken it down instead, unintentionally of course. This can be determined on a dyno with accurate fuel flow instrumentation, but not for the poor guy out in the field with 2 hand fulls of hope and a wallet thats thinning fast. The other scenario is, is that there may be a condition thats finally developed on that cylinder (your motor is old enough for this)which over time can contribute to conditions to set yourself up for sticking. This is that over time there is minute movement in those sleeves and that combined with torsional movement in the block can finally allow oil to penetrate down between the block sleeve bore and the sleeve insert. This oil when it gathers up enough forms a barrier to keep things loose and hinder good heat transfer away from the cylinder sleeve. The other problem is, is that it's very difficult to determin for certain without removing the sleeve, and that the engine can look and measure out as a spec engine in good order. Hope this adds something else to your thought process...Russ.

Matt
05-24-2001, 08:53 PM
Russ,
I'm already planning on sending my ECU back and letting them check it out again, plus I'm going to have them take it to 5% over stock. I don't care if it doesn't run to its full potential, I need to make it live. After Jay did the exhaust work, I had them bump it up 5% on top and it lived for quite a while but it wasn't running as hard as I thought it should. I sent it back and had them take it down to 2%, and it blew up the second time out, and I didn't notice and increased performance. That's why I was thinking I may have been running too low a fuel pressure. Plus the lack of carbon build up on the piston tops points to a lean condition.