PDA

View Full Version : D70s Update

jimmy johnston
01-22-2006, 07:59 PM
OK camera gurus..

I am in the "learning curve" on the D70s. Surprisingly, it can be fairly simple, or you can go completely custom with it. I took some inside shots yesterday under fluorscent lighting (little girls gymnsatics meet) and it did pretty well. This thing is really smooth! I can see another lens in my future. The one that came with it (18-70) is great for all around stuff, but I'm afraid on these longer inside shots its not going to be enough.

I will probably need to be around at least 200mm, probably 300 in order to get good shots. Of course at these gym meets, flash photography is NOT allowed so here's the hard part. I will probably have to shoot at high ISO settings and use the exposure compensator, along with shutter priority mode so a lens with a low f-stop will be in order.

And yes, the Cannon 8500 has been discontinued. My preference is to get a printer with at least 6 colors preferably 8. Anybody got any suggestions?

I really like the D70s. Thanks guys for all the comments!!

Jimmy Johnston

hsbob
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
as i said before the 8500 is still available but hurry. the 9100 is the 13" wider model and its still avaiable for about $450 vs the 350 for the 8500. there is a 6 color hp photo that has individual tanks that are really large.

jimmy johnston
01-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks hsbob,

I haven't been able to locate a 8500, so i suppose a different model will be in order. So many of the ones I look at just seem to be junk????

I guess the manufacturers want them to last just long enough for the new models to come out and sell you as much ink as they can!

Jimmy

pyro
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I won't buy another inkjet printer until I have seen what the pictures from each one looks like 10 years later after mild (and typical) light, heat and humidity exposure.

So far, most glossy inkjet prints I've made and seen have faded and/or become very brittle after only a year or two.

hsbob
01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
your probable right pyro, i have some epson photos that are going close to 6 years and look good slight fade. when i want long term and true photo quaility use a kodak 8500 dye sub. i use the ink printer for drafts and hand outs. at $.85 per page their cheap compared to the $2 for the dye sub. both print at the same speed.