PDA

View Full Version : Question about STV Sprint

MirageMark
05-23-2001, 10:14 PM
What is the difference between the Sprint hull and the more popular models such as the Pro Comp hull or the River Rocket? Lighter? Faster? Different bottom? Thanks in advance for any information.

Mark

Firestarter
05-24-2001, 08:24 AM
Their are two spint boats an 18 and a 19, the 19 being the more popular of the two. It had in the latter stages two different decks, the true sprint and the soon to be pro comp. The difference in these decks was only in the front cockpit, one had a singe seat up front and the other had a two. The bottom of these boats has a true vee at the front becomming flatter toward the back. The sponsons are very shallow at the front, this alllows for the boat to hook in turns if you let off the gas, this is it's only major flaw. If you come across any other name for this boat other than sprint, it is because of it's layup or intendid purpose.
The Pro Comp/River Rocket/Euro have 1 of 2 bottoms under them. (excluding the drag bottom, which very very few were ever built.)These are the inverted vee bottom boats (center sponson)The first was the ski with a very pronounced inverted vee and downturned chines at the back of the boat, the second and newest bottom is the MOD-VP with a shaollow inverted vee and square chines at the back. The MOD-VP bottom started to appear on the race boats around 1991 and pleasure boats around 1992-3.
As far as weight goes, none are as light as stated, most procomps weight 800+, euros 850 and river rockest 725. The newest bottom is supposed to be 10mph faster (that is from Roarks mouth)It is also a better turner, though it is a little more sensitive to setup and driver.
I hope that helps a little.

RT

MirageMark
05-24-2001, 02:55 PM
Thanks alot Firewalker. Your reply was very informative. But now I have another question. What is different with the drag bottom and what makes it quicker/faster(in the quarter mile)?

Thanks Again,
Mark

Firestarter
05-24-2001, 03:14 PM
If you go to scaryfast.com, and look in the classifieds their are two river rockets for sale. If you look very closely at the teal boat it is a drag. It has an entirely different bottom than the lake/mod-vp racers had. The tunnels are very shallow, and the boat has a step in it. I understand only about 7 were ever built. And the one for sale being carbon fiber is a very very rare boat. (you can check to see of it is a real carbon boat by sticking an ohm meter into the layup.) The drag bottom is very fast, but was developed late in the days of STV, and it had a few problems that were not ironed out before the company was sold. This problem was that it like to swap ends upon deceleration. Most of these STV's have been crashed. Wally Lamkin does not build this bottom, Dave McPherson does. He also has the pro comp deck for it. I have driven the drag bottom boat once with a 280 on it and it frankly scared the hell out of me. It is the first STV that made me nervous about blowover, and deceleration in something that should not be rushed. I spun the boat at 40 mph!.
Most everyone that drag races STV's use the Mod-vp bottom, and with a few mods can be very competitive. As a lake boat nothing is faster.

Hope that helps

RT

Euroski
05-24-2001, 04:22 PM
Just wondering, has anyone copied the STV... who, where, which bottom, and what were they called? Do they have a website? Did they have any sucess marketing the boats. Not that I would buy one but from over the years it seems almost every "good" boat bottom shows up elsewhere!

Firestarter
05-24-2001, 04:24 PM
Not that I am aware of. The original needle nose STV and sprint Molds were sold to Charger boats of Canada, and The pro comp deck and drag bottom went to dave mcpherson of canada. Charger built a tonne of boats.

Euroski
05-24-2001, 05:18 PM
A few years ago on Speedvision's PowerBoat TV they featured a poker run from Canada. There was a STV that looked like a standard V-bottom type boat. No pickle forks. I presume this was one of Roarks early design. Did he also build the Laser(Lazer)? Heard they were very picky boats a higher speeds and would blow over. Would like to see some pictures of the early creations by Roark. I guess from what you said the pronounced inverted V was sold to canadian and the shallow inverted V went to the Mississippi boys and later to Wally Lamkin. I could with enough information create a "History of STV" web page. RT or anyone if you have any pictures or history please feel free to e-mail them to stv_euroski@yahoo.com This mail box has a 6 meg limit so if the files are large send them over several days.

Thanks all

WaterBoy
05-24-2001, 10:40 PM
Hey Firewalker, I was thinking of trying to get the drag stv that is on scaryfast. What do you think or your 2 cents on the boat. The guy says it is in really good shape and weighs around 450lbs. Also, I have heard of LTV, It may be a copy of an stv, not sure. Just thought I would let you know. Let me know what you think about the teal and white STV on scaryfast. He said the boat has only been in the water one time since 94.

Thanks, Waterboy

MirageMark
05-24-2001, 10:49 PM
Hey Firewalker, thanks for sharing that great information with everyone. There sure are alot of people around here that claim they have drag STV's,,,,,guess they just don't have the real thing. Thanks again

Mark

Firestarter
05-25-2001, 08:36 AM
Wow, you guys are making me think too much.

The boat that was shown on speedvision was called a Stealth, built by John Anderson. The mold was either a Motion or a Laser, I am not sure which, but I could ask him. It was the second generation of needle nose boats. The first generation needle nose was a decent boat but would never brake 92mph (unless you had a fast truck), the second genetation was faster but was flighty over 95mph, and if you got it over 100, it would be just a matter of time before you go swimming.
The drag boat on scream and fly?, It really depends on what you want to do with it. It would be a very fast sraight line boat, I understand that properly set up they do work. And I do know that one of the guys that works for Wally Lamkin has one that he has made some minor changes to and apparently it works well. Again if you go to scaryfast and look in the picture area their are two STV's racing in unlimited, the closer of the to is a true drag. Guys that have "drag' STV's normally just have a lightweight boat with a ski or modvp bottom.
I could help in the history of STV's, but their are a lot of better sources than me----Call Roark at Triton boats, or Rusty Campbell, Ted Greguc etc, these guys tought me a lot of what I know. Hell I didn't have a drivers licence when Mod-Vp was still active, so what I type is half experiance, and half hearsay. Anthony SS also has expressed some interest in an STV sight. Cool idea.

RT

AnthonySS
05-25-2001, 09:20 AM
HEY EURO,

Just what I have been waiting for. A few years ago I took it apon myself to start an STV Site. Since that time I have compiled a bunch of info. Unfortunatly I have not got any Web making experience. So if you are up to it....LETS DO IT. I have enough content that could satrt up a pretty inpressive site. I have had STV owners send me pics of there STV's too.

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Funny you recalled the SpeedVision Episode. The Yeloow and White STV is mine and RT's is the Blue and White one. I was guy interviewed whereing the LOTUS NOTES Hat... That was a fun day!

Sincerely,

AnthonySS

Raceman
05-25-2001, 09:48 AM
I've got a pair of STV's with the Mod VP deck and one of each style bottom. (ski racer and mod VP) There's no significant difference in top end speed between these two with like power and set up by the way. I talked with Roard a couple of times before I bought them about various other boats for sale. It's incredible how he remembers specific boats and owners. He said at the time that he thought the differences in the two bottoms was largely owner preference and he didn't think the average hot rodder would see any difference. I think he said one would settle a little faster and then there's the turn thing. As far as the drag bottom which was the reason I called him in the first place, he advised me not to buy it. The boat I was looking at belonged to Burley Mears at the time, and Burley even advised me not to buy it. He had made a U turn in the lights when he jumped off the throttle suddenly. Also, the very shallow tunnels make it completely unuseable as a lake toy. The shallow tunnels were designed to enhance the way the boat leaves.

Firestarter
05-25-2001, 10:17 AM
That is very true, Roark really does remember a lot of his boats. Wally even recognises my damn voice ( apparently us CDN's talk funny eh! ).
I have this habbit of getting a new STV every year or so, and when I heard that Roark had a new bottom, I had to have one. Called Roark and he said he wouldn't build me one. It won't work on the lake. I also found out later that Rusty threw himself out of the first one. I does have very shallow tunnels, making it's rough water ability---nill. And as I said before, and Raceman stated they will turn if you chop the throttle, I understand they are a lot better with 5" setback, roundears, Short shafts and low engine height. I agree with Roark and that a setback is a bandaid, and that no STV should ever have a setback. Ironically I run 2 1/2 now, have like Raceman converted to SS motors and had a total of 7", but ran ET to get rid of the hop. As far as the SKI vs. MOD-VP bottoms, I like the mod-vp, as I find it easier to drive and lays up a little quicker, but Roark told me that the ski is 2 mph faster. I never saw a speed difference, but did notice the ski does not slow down as quick and cannot turn with the mod-vp. Having driven the real drag bottom on the lake, it is not that bad, it definately accelerates harder, but like mentioned if you are aware that you cannot sidestep the throttle but rather back off the gas slowly it should be ok. But I would not pay much more than 5K for it.

RT

BASSIN
05-25-2001, 07:57 PM
Hi AnthonySS
If you are interested in starting a site, I can try to help you out. And no there is no charge(just a hobby). I programed my site and did all the logos and headers using my graphic programs. Check out my site and if you would like help I'll do what I can. Drop me an e-mail if you have any questions. The graphics were kept small to keep the load time quick, didn't want to have people waiting.

XS MARINE TECHNOLOGY (http://web.ionsys.com/~craigj)

regards

Craig

WaterBoy
05-25-2001, 11:36 PM
Hey Firewalker,
So, I should try and stay away from the drag bottom? Down here in Alabama we run on the river and straight. My ski racer isn't fast enough for me. The guy is asking 8,000 for the boat and trailer. Says it has only been in the water one time. I am wanting to try an stv. Prefer one around 550lbs or lighter. My friends down here have some and they are pretty darn fast. Just let me know what you think.

Thanks, Waterboy

Firestarter
05-28-2001, 08:45 AM
That is really up to you. I would not buy the boat, especially if you are going to put big power on it. I would be real fast, but you have to slow it down at some point and that is where a major flaw is in the design. Maybe some one knows how to make them work but I don't.
550 lbs would be really hard to find, I have only seen on boat that light and in my opinion it is too light. They are faster a little heavier.
You cannot beat a hot STV, well rigged it is the fastest boat out their. 120mph is a stepping stone.

Let me know if I can ever help.

RT

Raceman
05-28-2001, 10:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm of the opinion that the drag bottom is only superior for the first hundred feet or so from an off plane start. When I was considering one before, the story from several sources was that the other two bottoms are faster on top. Incidentally, the yellow drag bottom boat that I almost bought has hooked twice with two different owners, and also hit the guard rail on the interstate, damaging the boat and totalling the trailer. Last I knew of it, it had been fixed and sold again. It seems to me that for that kind of money you can go find exactly what you're looking for in a used boat several years old. Again, Roard told me not to by that boat and so did the guy trying to sell it. There are River Rockets and other STV's around used from time to time well within that price range.

Firestarter
05-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Raceman you could be right about the top end thing. I am trying to be a little diplomatic about the boat, I have sated before that I have driven one, and it scared the **** out of me ( I never got it over 100, and I drove it faster than anyone )
Raceman is correct that good used ones do come up.--Hell mine is for sale albeit it is a 2000 and considerable more money.
If you want sure thing buy a River Rocket with the mod-vp bottom, it is a tough boat to beat.

RT

WaterBoy
05-28-2001, 12:20 PM
Right now I have a MirageSkiRacer, I just want a faster boat, I've heard alot about STV's and was going to sell mine with or without the motor. Thinking of getting a STV or MirageRiverRacer or something of that nature. Thought about a new drag motor but the price is alittle high. Don't really like the 280, If I don't sell mine or get the drag, will probably get a good 260 EFI. My motor is a carb. It will run pretty hard with some of the EFI's around here. Every STV I have run across seems to be price happy. Who knows I may just keep the SkiRacer, it weights around 600 to 625. I'm new at this stuff so I stay on this board to learn alot.
Thanks, Waterboy

Firestarter
05-28-2001, 12:53 PM
I would not call STV owners price happy, the boats are worth more. Allison and STV are the premier builders right now, if you want the best Vee you buy Allison, tunnel you buy Triad/STV. Nothing compares, and you have to pay to get the quality product. The other side of that is look at what you have to spend to buy a new one. The above two mentioned brands are the best built, best running products out their. For that you have to pay.
It is kinda like Timex vs. Rolex, a used Rolex is going to be worth a hole lot more than a new timex, and the same applies to boats. Ever looked at the price of an Apache, as compared to a Fountain. Fountains are comparitivly worthless, in that case it is quality vs. marketing.

I would say you can expect to pay 8-10 for a good Roark Summerford built RiverRocket (1993-1996), and a 13+ for a Wally Lamkin built Triad/STV RiverRocket.
I sold my last 2 Euros for 11 500 for rigged hull, and single axle trailer, and these were 93 and 94 boats.
That has been my experiance any way.

RT

Euroski
05-28-2001, 02:32 PM
Rt, which bottom do I have on my Euro? Could you please click on my www link and check it out? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of the bottom.

Thanks

Firestarter
05-28-2001, 02:43 PM
You have the MOD-VP bottom.
I consider it to be the best bottom of Roarks design. I see no flaws in its design, it won the mod-vp world championships many times, David Carver used that bottom to run 120+ mph in the quarter, to dominate ODBA unlimited. And has seen speeds near 140mph with reasonable stability, here in Canada. (don't ask how that was done).
It in my opinion is the best performance hull on the market.

RT

WaterBoy
05-28-2001, 03:08 PM
This is what I mean by price happy. Okay I find a Mirage River Racer, Then you find an STV, the same year and the STV is like 4 to 5 thousand more. Mirages and STV's are very simular to me. You see an STV outrun an mirage, then another Mirage outruns an STV. Both look very nice, I just don't see that kind of difference. It is like a 96 STV for 18,000. The boat is 5 1/2 years old. 96 Mirage for 12,000. That just doesn't sound right. Though I would love to find a STV simular to the boat of the month. Very nice. I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I love fast boats period. It just seems odd.

Thanks, Waterboy

Firestarter
05-28-2001, 03:42 PM
Sure It does sound odd.
But A properly rigged STV is the fastest boat on the water, bar none. They are also built quite a bit better, right down to the quality of materials, and finish. The new Triad built boats are some of the best built boats I have ever witnessed. ( Considering I work/ed for an Allison dealer, that should mean something.)You are also correct that Mirage is a good boat, but It is like comparing a firebird to a ferrari, both do the samething, one is better.

That is the only way I can explain it.

RT

Techno
05-28-2001, 03:56 PM
Something else you probably are aware of, the engines are usually newer than what the hulls are. This can cause a price difference even in the same make And is the biggest reason for a high price.

Euroski
05-28-2001, 04:58 PM
If you look around you should find one that isn't over priced. When I purchased my 98 Euro(double Kevlar) it was about 7 months old and I was lucky to get it without the engine. Other than that it had all the guages, etc. I paid close to what the factory advertised for a bare hull and single axle trailer(low teens). But the former owner had a dual axle aluminum trailer with alloy wheels. So I think I got a very good deal. Keep in mind you might have to drive to other states to find what you want. For me, it was from Pennsylvania to Florida... 2200 miles round trip in 3 days! Wife said I was NUUUUUUUTS! Just wondering what Wally charges for a new euro and trailer? What's included too?

Keep lookin and have fun

WaterBoy
05-28-2001, 05:16 PM
I guess a river rocket with a mod vp bottom would be better for me, I guess. I would prefer a short shaft, don't really know how many were made though. What is the average weight of these boats. The lighter the better for me, I guess. I only weigh 135lbs. My buddy claims his weighs 550lbs.

Thanks, Waterboy