PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Gauge

BoatGoFaster
05-23-2001, 10:05 PM
Is it a good idea to run a fuel pressure gauge??
(280 merc)
If so, how do these hook up?

thanks

sosmerc
05-23-2001, 10:21 PM
Just my opinion, but I feel a fuel pressure guage is extremely important, especially on a high performance application. There are numerous options as to brands, types, etc. I am using an electric fuel pressure sender and guage that I purchased from Livorsi Marine Inc. (847-548-5900)
Have also had very good luck with products from Instrument Sales and Service, Inc 1-800-442-0863.
Low fuel pressure, for whatever reason, will create a "lean" condition...and that will certainly lead to a "fried" engine.
The fuel pressure sender can be located anywhere between the high pressure electric pump and the engine. It should abe wired to function whenever the key is in the run position.

Rickracer
05-23-2001, 10:27 PM
especially with a motor on which fuel pressure is critical to the motor living (aka EFI). There are a couple of different ways to set it up safely. One is with an electrical guage and sender. The other is with a mechanical guage and isolator. The isolator prevents having fuel under 40 to 60 psi routed through the boat all the way to the dash. It is filled with a non-volatile fluid, but transfers the pressure to the guage accurately.I can get you either of these types of guages in a few different brands and/or styles.