PDA

View Full Version : Helmet testing -vs- Injuries:

W. Tripp
01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
READ THIS - http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

jphii
01-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Aw crap, just when I'm buying a helmet, too!

GP-1
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
That's sorta old news... It stirred up quite a storm between the Snell foundation and Motorcyclist magazine. Thing is, how are you gonna know what kind of hit you're going to take... and -- on the average -- I'd guess that boating accidents would probably not result in contact injuries that are as severe as motorcycle crashes. I'd think that high speed boating injuries would be more along the twisting/bending type thing. I'll always wear a helmet riding a motorcycle, but I have some concerns about whether the weight of the thing offsets it's protective abilities in a boat crash. You'd look like a dork, but I was thinking that a hockey helmet would probably be good protection in a boat -- they're light... and they can't twist your head and break you neck like a full-face could... Yea, you might look goofy, but I'm used to that..

Boz
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Gary,

That visual is priceless!!!

STV_Keith
01-19-2006, 09:36 PM
You'd look like a dork, but I was thinking that a hockey helmet would probably be good protection in a boat -- they're light... and they can't twist your head and break you neck like a full-face could... Yea, you might look goofy, but I'm used to that..

Depends on the weather too. When it's 50 out, having a helmet on really keeps you cozy.

http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/willow_12-19/images/DSCN3119.jpg

The Big Al
01-19-2006, 11:22 PM
A neck brace should be maditory for boat racing. Helps with neck injuries.

AL

mendo
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Lots of info about hitting the pavement.

I think the best is a comfortable helmet with restraints so your head stays on.

Trikki1010
01-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Can anybody explain this phenomenom :confused:

You wear helmet, no problems, no accidents, no cuts, nicks or bruises

BUT

The minute you take that helmet off and put it down, she's gonna get scratched :eek: ;)

Or start rollin' without ya:p

RichS
01-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I've tested mine too much:eek:

1BadAction
01-20-2006, 12:39 PM
but I was thinking that a hockey helmet would probably be good protection in a boat -- they're light... and they can't twist your head and break you neck like a full-face could... Yea, you might look goofy, but I'm used to that..

something to think about- what about when you go through the side of a boat without a full face? I for one dont want to be picking fiberglass and carbon fiber out of my face for the rest of my life. I'll add that I would rather go with nothing on my head than to go without the helmet restraints.

VELOCITOY
07-09-2007, 03:49 PM
...There is also a concern of "bucketing"...ESP. on a feet first, high speed entry into the water...the helmet wants to fill with water and take your head with it...I would think the softer "holed" water ski helmet would be a better choice for a boat?

Techno
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Thats not what bucketing is. Bucketing is your head trying to seperate from you neck, clamping a helmet on makes this worse. A helmet restraint prevents bucketing. This name comes from swinging a bucket of water in a circle and the water stays in the bucket. Hey I didn't come up with it.:rolleyes:

You won't enter the water at speed. I think the neck collar on the jacket is partly to shadow the helmet and prevent this problem. I have no idea what a full face strapped on you with the helmet restaint would do if your helmet did fill.
This is the basis for open/full face helmet disagreements. Regardless I assume the greater hazard is brain bounce rather than the helmet filling with water. The helmet should prevent this first.

JohnR225
07-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Man that was a lot of reading… I skimmed a lot. It is based on being on a motorcycle so as mentioned it doesn’t pertain to boats at all.

This part made the most sense to me…

In other words, a crash violent enough to overwhelm any decent helmet will usually destroy the rest of the body as well. Newman put this into perspective. "In most cases, bottoming [compressing a helmet's EPS completely] is not going to occur except in really violent accidents. And in these kind of cases, one might legitimately wonder whether there is anything you could do." The other part I thought was interesting was The Human Race

"But I'm a racer," we hear you rationalizing. "I go really fast. I go so fast, in fact, that I need a very special, high-energy helmet to protect my wonderful manliness and fastness." Not so, Rossi-breath.

If you're going to land on flat pavement when you crash—and you almost always do—you can afford to wear a softer ECE or DOT helmet, because softer helmets do a very good job of absorbing big impacts—even really, really big impacts—on flat surfaces. Remember, the hard part about getting a helmet past the Snell standard involves surviving that mythical steel orange very hard twice in the same spot on the helmet, simulating a monster hit—or two—on, say, a car bumper. Been to Laguna Seca recently? No car bumpers or steel oranges anywhere.

Just for the record for you motorcyle guys...Rossi wears an AGV Ti-Tech

AGV Ti-Tech (F)
Average: 169 Gs
LF: 156 gs
RF: 199 gs
LR: 195 gs
RR: 129 gs

Impact Key:
LF: Left Front, 7-foot drop, Flat Pavement.
RF: Right Front, 10-foot drop, Flat Pavement.
LR: Left Rear, 7-foot drop, Flat Pavement.
RR: Right Rear, 7-foot drop, Edge Anvil. Shell Key: (P): Polycarbonate (F): Fiberglass

BluFin
08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
in the UK see reff helmet comments http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2006/portland_powerboat.cfm

The Racing reg change to helmets
http://www.rya.org.uk/Activities/PowerboatRacing/competitorsinfo/racinghelmets.htm

A very hot topic that is always a good ""discussion""

flabum1017
09-22-2007, 02:24 PM
OK, $79 helmets for everybody!

The point that stuck out the most to me was that most impacts are basically a straight drop from whatever height you attain, speed has no real correalation to the impact unless you hit an object head first such as a car, curb, pole or brick wall.

Ted Stryker
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I do wear a helmet when doing hard testing in a boat... The helmet is a full face, but I don't fasten the strap... If I contact the boat face first or spear it with the top of the helmet then I hope it would help... If I shoot into the water feet first then I want the helmet to slide off...

Wild Wil
08-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Helmets are great, but they can cause injury. Full face helmets must have a way to let the water out. Since most injuries happen when the water is forced into the openings in your head. I think the best would be a full face and openings like a bicycles helmet.

Just my 1.5 cents

cowbay
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
This is truly enlightening. All these years I have been keeping up with all the latest upgrades to the helmets for my own safety and maybe in the end I am taking a bigger rest with the more modern Snell rated helmets.