PDA

View Full Version : What prop for Hydro' Vision

graemers
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new prop for my Hydrostream Vision. I currently have a 120 Evinrude V4 1987, and it turns a 23P 4blade renegade at about 56mph. This spring i'm investing in a GOOD tach, 'cause mine is unreliable, so I can't give the tach numbers. The prop shaft is 1.5 inches below the pad. I don't have low water pickups. What do you guys suggest for a good prop to get started with? Do you think raising the engine any more would be risky? I keep a keen eye on the telltale water hole, but I have to trim the prop all the way out to get a slight rooster tail. Any help would be great, especially if any of you guys have played with a Vision. I'm also considering upgrading to a merc xr2.
Waddaya think??????????

David
01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
An SRX would be a good place to start

You need a tach, low water pick ups, and a pressure gage to set your boat up. Low water pick up and a pressure gage because it is risky to raise the motor.

Get a foot throttle if you don't already have one.

Anthony SS ran a cleaver on his Vision for top speed, but an SRX would be easier to find, and maybe better for all round use.

wideglide55
01-04-2006, 08:06 PM
If you really want to have fun,save up and put the Merc on it with a nose cone and jackpate.Once you start spending to modify the v-4 set-up you'll wish you had gone for the XR-2. I had an 86 150 Merc,sweetest running and idling outboard I have ever owned.You'll need dual steering a new water pressure gauge and some time and $$ but when its done it"ll go plenty fast enough and you can still ski behind it.

graemers
01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I've got a foot throttle and trim on the wheel. Think a 26P SRX would be good? I'll be lookin' for a good motor though(XR-2). Can I swap powerheads with a 140 V4(if I can find one)?

Thanks guys

wideglide55
01-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Your motor is at the top of the outboard sale forum,1987 2.0 just like the one I had,it looks in exellent shape too.The one I had pushed my Vegas XT over 60mph.I screamed it for three summers and my buddy ran it for two more, it never skipped a beat in five years of hard use and still ran fine when we took it off and pickled it to hang a 225 on there.

chris_lacey
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
MarkHP runs a 120 looper on his 'stream Vista. He gets 60mph GPS with a 24 Raker. I got similar with this engine on a V-King. The V4 SRX (actually SSTRX) doesn't seem to work as well as the V6 versions. Absolutely lousy holeshot! The V4 Rakers are for sale around here for under $200 all the time. A good choice for that hull/engine. Another possibility is a merc inline chopper, maybe a 24P with an OMC V4 hub installed. The 14X24 chopper will clear the cav plate with the zinc trim tab removed.
Here's a Raker for sale now: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96320

Glenn
01-07-2006, 09:11 AM
As Chris said, MarkHP's Vista runs real nice with the 24 Raker. I've got a 2.0 1750 with a 26 big ear Chopper on my Vision. A couple of years ago I had a chance to try a 29 SRX, 24 ET, 28 inline Chopper and have to say I really liked the SRX, better then my 26. AnthonySS, the original owner of my Vision, Had an XR2 on it. He was running a 30 Cleaver on a CLE case and was running 80. My best is 70.9, no LWP.

Glenn