PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best sounding 6x9's ??

WATERWINGS
12-28-2005, 09:57 AM
I am only gonna run two 6x9's in the Quartershot, so I want to get some really good sounding ones, I will probably still run a sub, but I want to get the best/clearest sound out of what I have to work with.

I am running a big amp, and need some that will handle that also.

tdogcarter
12-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I just switched out my Kenwood 6x9s that came in my euro with some Infinity 6x9s Kappa 3 way 693.7i
They come with external crossovers for the woofer and highs. Wow with just the head unit power of an Alpine Head unit with the V-drive these really sound good in the boat. Have pretty good lows and exceptional highs. About the only way your going to get much better is with true seperates. About the only better 6x9s I have heard are the MB Quartz which are true seperates, and they sound exceptional. But I think if you go that route I would get some oversized 6 1/2" component systems. More to chose from and they will sound great. If your going to put a sub in then you really don't need a 6x9 speaker. A 6 1/2" will be just fine.

My vote is for the Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6x9 speakers

I think they were around $120 shipped too for a pair.

150aintenuff
12-29-2005, 02:53 AM
the infinity speakers are great.. i had a set till my amp shorted out to speaker ground and fried the V coils best sounding speakers with in a budget...

WATERWINGS
12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Not long ago, I put 4 Infinities in my truck, they do sound good, but they are the 6-1/2 and 4-1/2's............with two 12's for back up :D

I would assume that the 6 x 9's sound as good, or better.

I am using the 6 x 9's because I am using the boxes, and not cutting out anything, they fit up in the sponsons, and can be pulled out and sat on the back when we stop to hang out.

Never heard of the MB Quartz's, who makes them?

150aintenuff
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
MBQuartz makes them..... they are a step up from the infinitys but also are about double in price...

WATERWINGS
12-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Someone here at work mentioned Boston Acoustics..........

Who has heard of them?

I think they are mostly seperate componants, and I really wanted to use the speaker boxes so I wont have to cut out any holes.

150aintenuff
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
ok but $$$$ and the infinitiys sound as good IMO..

jphii
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I've had Boston Acoustics before for home speakers. They used to be VERY good, but went to crap about 15 years ago. But I've heard that the car stuff is OK.

pyro
12-29-2005, 05:16 PM
The boxes are OK, but it really trims the low end response. Get the largest boxes you can find, or make your own. 6 X 9's sound awesome in a free-air mounting, like the rear deck in a car. This is difficult in a boat, since there's no large chamber to mount them in. They don't have to be in an "enclosure", the baffle itself may be sufficient. If you have tall, wide gunnel panels, you can drop them in there. The only thing is, the interior panel must be very rigid, and there needs to be a lot of distance between the speaker and the edge of the panel at its shortest. In other words, for the 6 X 9 to sound at least decent, the inside panel would need to be about 50" wide, with the top and bottom sides glassed into the deck and hull. Not likely.

If you could make 6 X 9 boxes that look like the regular ones, but twice as wide so the inside volume is doubled, it wil damn near double the bass response.

-Chad

150aintenuff
12-30-2005, 04:31 PM
rather than making boxes why not just build a front cap for the sponsons and use their volume to act as the enclosure... that I think would be your best plan...

WATERWINGS
12-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Was gonna use the front "firewall", (bulkhead?) to mount two 10's, but it is not completely sealed off, and there is no room to build boxes on the backside of the firewall, (or the wall in front of where your feet go)

I really don't want to "cut" anything on the boat if I can help it.

Building a taller, (more rectangle) box is possible, as long as I keep the width where it is, (they fit perpectly on the lip of the lifting strakes, inside the sponson, and just off the bottom, so they wont get wet if water gets in the sponson)

bigbore
01-18-2006, 04:35 PM
:cool: where the he$l do you keep getting all those pictures from?
what happened to the harly ho?is that her sister?the beachbound betty?well fer what its worth id run that one to,im sure she knows how to solute a fine american also.

WATERWINGS
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
?????

BRB
01-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I would run 4 6-1/2 pioneer 3 way with bass blockers a 8 or 10 bass tube with built in amp & a small decscent amp for the other 4 good head unit with built in cross over. I like pioneer, because you are in a damp enviromnet and its god stuff for the money. it will rock.

Brian.

Skatin
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
I have some Boston Acoustics. The sound great and like a lot of power. Also have very bright tweeters. They do cost quite a bit depending on what model you get. Infinity Kappa speakers have great tweeters too but they don't handle bass very well. Don't get the Infinity Perfect series. Polk Audio makes great sounding speakers as well but their tweeters aren't quite as bright as the other two. MB Quart are like the Infinity's. The best thing to do is go down to the local stereo shop and take a CD you have heard a million times and just check out the different speakers. One thing I have found is that everyone likes something in speakers. What I think sounds good might sound like crap to you.

pyro
01-18-2006, 09:34 PM
I would run 4 6-1/2 pioneer 3 way with bass blockers
A bass blocker is simply a series-connected bipolar capacitor, a primitive passive crossover. They don't establish an accurate cut-off frequency, since it's acting as an RC filter, the C is the blocker cap, and the R is the (inductive) speaker load, which has different properties with various speakers, thus affecting the cut-off slope and frequency. Those are made mostly for tweeters and such. They are cheap gimmick items.

If you want to take the bass out of the main speakers, do it correctly, by using an amp with a built-in adjustable high-pass filter. Ideally it would be set to the same frequency that the powered subwoofer's built-in LOW-pass crossover is set to. This will give you "seamless" frequency response from the lows up to the highs.

Don't get the Infinity Perfect series.
Why not?

-chad

Skatin
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
The perfect series sound terrible.

BRB
01-19-2006, 02:08 AM
I dont know all the tech stuff. but i've used them many times work great for me. If ya dont use them on 6-1/2 the bass sounds like crap. You could use a amp that has the freq controlls. My point is if ya use high dollar stuff it is still in a boat, where there could be water???? Good luck with what ever system dude, keep everyone posted with pics and stuff.

Later, Brian.

WATERWINGS
01-19-2006, 09:45 AM
I went and listened to what they had, and ended up getting the Polks.

These are the 3 ways, (guess they don't make the 2 ways anymore), but the sound pretty darn good, and they are not to bright, (which I like)

I also put a Bazooka tube in there, (due to lack of room), sounds good to me, but I haven't heard it on the water yet.

JJB
01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I need 3 pairs of 6x9's to replace what I have now and was thinking about the Bazooka's. Anyone have any input on Bazooka's Marine 6x9 3 way speakers? They will be going on a amped system.
I have heard from a few people they are very nice, producing some very good mid range and highs.
JJB

Skatin
01-26-2006, 06:59 AM
I don't know about Bazooka 6X9's but here is what's going in my Talon. Polk Audio Momo series. They are approved for Marine use they sound and look great and they aren't over priced.

JJB
01-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Skatin I'll look at those.................

Pyro you seem to know your $h** about audio systems jump in here. What about the Bazooka's or what would you get for a 6x9?

JJB

sho305
01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
A bass blocker is simply a series-connected bipolar capacitor, a primitive passive crossover. They don't establish an accurate cut-off frequency, since it's acting as an RC filter, the C is the blocker cap, and the R is the (inductive) speaker load, which has different properties with various speakers, thus affecting the cut-off slope and frequency. Those are made mostly for tweeters and such. They are cheap gimmick items.

If you want to take the bass out of the main speakers, do it correctly, by using an amp with a built-in adjustable high-pass filter. Ideally it would be set to the same frequency that the powered subwoofer's built-in LOW-pass crossover is set to. This will give you "seamless" frequency response from the lows up to the highs.

-chad

Sort of true, but I have used them with great results in certain apps. Mostly when using a set of 6x9 and you add something smaller like 5.25s or 4" coax/etc. Then you can run the 6x9 full range or whatever your x-over is at, and block some bass out of the smaller set. You can run 2-ohm and not lose any sound, and the best reason is so you don't have to add another amp and its wiring and maybe x-over/3way x-over just for a little set of tweet/mids you are using for fill or staging. Yes you don't have much control over them so you have to pick units that fit the use out of box. If your add-ons are too bright/etc, it can sound nasty. Also helps to use a cover behind the smaller speakers to tighten them up. You can't change the volume of the add-ons either, though you can try a resistor. This works good in a car because you want to hear the front stage anyway, they are closer to you so you hear them more and the 6x9s in back fill and push the lower tones.

If you got more money do like Pyro says and get them their own x-over & amp, use separates too.

I have some Infinity 6x9s, like them a lot. Very smooth.

ptextreme
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
If you want a true marine speaker that sounds great, go with infinity kappa marine speakers. I am running 6 6x9s, with a 6 channel amp pushing 125rms to each. for subs I have 2 kicker marine 10'' with 350amps to each.

WILDMAN
01-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I've tried alot of 6x9's. The best by far are the Poly-Planar 6900's. They list for $289 a pair, but if you do a search on Google, you can find them for about $180 a pair. They're white, but I stripped the grills in my flamer and they are shiny stainless steel. I always use a 4 channel 600-1000 watt amp. I put the two 6x9's to the rear channels and bridge the fronts to a single 12" sub. I usually put the 6x9's in small boxes so I can set them on the deck if I'm at the beach. The Poly-Planars don't distort at all and are Tri-axials.

The Big Al
01-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Alpine< Alpine Alpine

Rich Owen
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Overtons.com has JBL MS920 6x9 2-way Marine speakers on sale for $79.99
Item # 74186

jmc
01-31-2006, 03:03 PM
If you are looking at high end speakers look at what others have mentioned:
MB Quart, Diamond Audio and Focal all you can find on e-bay.

If you are "keeping it real" look at the Polk Momo's and the DB series, very hard to beat for the price and as someone mentioned they are marine certified.

Also I would forget about bass response from 6X9's, 6 1/2's etc.. Pick the full range speaker or separate that offers the best vocals and mids to your ears....Its all you going to hear when its turned up anyway.

merctech1979
02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
i have to agree with wildman with the poly planers.......i heard they're with infinity spreaker corp.

action17
02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
I need 3 pairs of 6x9's to replace what I have now and was thinking about the Bazooka's. Anyone have any input on Bazooka's Marine 6x9 3 way speakers? They will be going on a amped system.
I have heard from a few people they are very nice, producing some very good mid range and highs.

JJB
IMO they kick A$$ I replaced 4 6X9 polyplanners with the bazooka 3way 6x9 and they rock.

I also have a pair of 200watt infinity 6x9 2way marine speakers for sale still in the box

1BadAction
02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Euro spec Blaupunkt>All

http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/images_produkt/7606427001_20118_LO.JPG