PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D50 vs D70 D70s ?????

jimmy johnston
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Hello all,

Its time for a new camera. Would like to go Nikon this time. Seems the D50 and D70 / D70s are all close in performance. Any one have any preferences?

The D50 is available with 2 lenses in a package deal. Is this a good buy?
The new D200 looks coooool! Kind of pricy, but may be alot better????

Any info appreciated.
Thanks,

Jimmy

jphii
12-27-2005, 02:57 PM
D200, LOT BETTER. May be a lttle pricey right now, but it should drop to MSRP after supply picks up. But, MSRP is $1699, and that's with no lenses. Good Nikon lenses aren't exacxtly cheap. Here's a good review of the D200 (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/). They basically say it's just about a D2X. I want one!

Scream And Fly
12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Jimmy,

The D50, D70, and D70s are all great cameras capable of producing professional results. There are minor differences between those three, but they all produce the same quality images. Some differences are:

D50: Produces more 'punchy' images with very low high-ISO noise. This is the way the camera processes the images, so less post image processing is usually required. Autofocus is just as fast and accurate as the D70/D70s (Nikon MultiCAM 900). The D50 uses secure digital cards instead of compact flash. The kit lenses they bundle with the D50 are pretty good, but not what I would choose for sports or action photography. The D50 likely has the best 'out of camera' image quality because it's 'tuned' for the novice SLR user. Either way, it's the best buy there is in an D-SLR today. Shoots 2.5 FPS in continuous mode.

D70/D70s: The same camera - the only differences being a slightly larger screen on the D70s (2" vs 1.8"), ability to use a cable shutter release (D70 can use wireless), and slightly wider-angle flash coverage (18mm vs. 20mm). Unlike the D50, the D70 series has a depth of field preview button and a backlit top LCD. The major difference is the ability to use the wireless "Commander Mode" for external flashes like the SB600 and SB800. Images are slightly more crisp, but the penalty is more noise. This difference is extremely slight. If I had the choice, I would choose the D70. Shoots 3 FPS in continuous mode.

D200: Pro-level camera has a magnesium alloy body, 10.2 megapixels, much faster and accurate autofocus, faster continuous mode (5.5 FPS), and better metering. It also costs about $1000 more than the D70 without a lens. I would not recommend this camera unless you're more experienced. It lacks the 'scene modes' of the D50 and D70, and offers much less in-camera processing by default. Its image quality is almost as good as the D2x, but it shoots high ISO much better.

I have a D200, and although I really didn't get a chance to use it yet, it seems like a very robust camera. I think the D50 or D70 would be better choices, however.

The bottom line is, all of those cameras can produce professional results. If you're on a budget, buy the D50 or D70 and use your money on good lenses. Good glass is the real key here.

Greg

jimmy johnston
12-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks Greg..

I appreciate your info on the Nikon stuff. Concerning the SD vs. the compact flash cards. What is the difference? Is the D70 still a current model, or did the D70s repalce it. Personally the physical size of the D70(s) kind of appeals to me. Maybe I should get a D70, or D70s (body only) and then get a killer lens.. say something like a 50 - 200 with a low f setting ??

Any ideas on a lens reccommendation?

How about a really good printer that will let the Nikon show its stuff??

Thanks,

Jimmy

Scream And Fly
12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Jimmy,

The D50 uses SD cards mainly because most point and shoot cameras use them, and it would be easier to switch to the DSLR. That's the target audience for the D50.

I think the D70/D70s is a great camera that is extremely capable. I believe the D70s will replace the D70, but that doesn't mean anything in this case since they are essentially the same camera. They even use the same main circuit board, sensor, etc.

Re: lens - It all depends on what your requirements are for the camera and how much you want to spend. :)

Greg