PDA

View Full Version : Hey Camera Gurus

johnnyracer
12-18-2005, 03:50 PM
My best friend has a Minolta D7 dslr. She is using a 28 - 300 lense. The pics are uaually pretty good but not near what I think they ought to be. They pull up close and look good until you print them(CVX) then thy're not near as sharp as I think they should be. Almost seem a little out of focus.I don't know s--t about this stuff so I'm really lost. I do know for what this thiing cost it should do the dishes when asked :eek: It is supposed to be a top end camera but I don't see the pics like Greg T. takes coming out of it and thats what I want.

Now taking suggestions about lenses, speed ,aperatures, and ISO settings and all the other crap I don't know about. Just trying to help her out a little.

Thanks Johhny

pyro
12-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Tripod.

Scream And Fly
12-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Johnny, your question depends on so many factors. Some of which are:

First - what type of photography? Action? Landscape? Portrait?
Was the subject moving?
Auto focus or manual focus? If auto, which auto settings (servo, focus lock, multi-area, single area)?
Lighting conditions?
Focal length?
Aperture?
Lens used (specifics)?
Camera settings (ISO, shutter, metering, auto modes)
Handheld, monopod?

If you can, post a sample of the image - even better, paste the EXIF information into a post. You can view the EXIF by right-clicking on the photo and choosing properties, then choosing "advanced".

Remember, it takes a lot of practice to master the use of a DSLR. :)

Greg

johnnyracer
12-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Mostly boat racing stuff. The still stuff seems to be better. As far as all that forgien talk you just asked for, I'll have to get back to ya on that. As I said I don't know s--t about this stuff but it looks like I'm fixen to learn a little.

Fast moving- hand held-auto focus-daylight- ISO on auto- multi area I think.
I'll get more info.

Thanks for help

Johnny

merklerob
12-20-2005, 01:06 PM
get the shutter speed up in the 1/1000 range and use a tripod. then

if the photo is actually focused correctly. go to photo shop filters,sharpen,unsharpen settings 150%,.5,.5 to start.

Scream And Fly
12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
It's not that simple. First, you won't be using a tripod for action shots -- you'll be using a monopod - if the situation permits (long zoom, stable platform). You need to use the camera's manual controls. Setting it to 'auto' will not be good enough. All of your camera settings are dictated by your shooting environment. For action shots at long telephoto, I generally set exposure, ISO, shutter speed, and aperture manually and shoot at F4 with a nice, fast lens. If there's not enough light for my desired shutter speed, I might purposely underexpose the image and compensate in post later on - or I could set the exposure compensation in the camera. This, in addition to setting higher ISO values will degrade image quality ('grain' or 'noise', as it's called), but a grainy image is useful -- an out of focus image is not.

Greg

Jay R.
05-13-2006, 09:25 PM
The one question I have..... where are you printing them? It may not be the camera or the user at all and it could be in the printing.

hsbob
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
before you print any picture you need to run it thru the unsharpen filter. this sharpens the edges.