PDA

View Full Version : Painting parts on the powerhead?

Hydro-T20
12-17-2005, 05:19 PM
While rebuilding the engine, I thought I would pay some attention to detail on it as well, so I was just wondering if "regular" spraycan-paint will hold? It`s the heat I`m thinking of here...So will it?
Or do I need to powdercoat it, or use heat-resistant paint?
The powdercoaters around here only seem to have only dull and regular colors....:(
The parts I`m thinking of is the heads, startercover, brakets to the starter the holder/brakett the ECU sits on and so on...And yeah, the outer part of the reed-block..The part that you see when the powerhead is back togheter.(I`m also thinking of buying a spacer here..So I haven`t really decided if I`m going to paint the reed-block.
Any tips appreciated!:)
I have gotten alot of the parts glassbeaded to, so I`m thinking I should just clear-coat it to keep the engine "clean".
It`s a EFi 2.5 260 by the way..
I slapped on a couple of pics to show the "style" I want on the engine..And yes I know the first engine has Simon heads(Anodized), but the second one has the original heads painted, as you see in the picture...just ain`t sure if it`s powdercoating....:confused:

Cp
12-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Not sure about the paint, but the blow-me-away hardware is pretty neat. :D

Liquid Force
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
The second motor belongs to a guy named Grant, he's on this board as
G ROWE, send him a PM and ask him what we painted his motor with.

Hydro-T20
12-17-2005, 07:12 PM
It dosen`t seem that that engine has been running for very long yet, so I was kinda hoping that there was somebody else here that knew if the "regular"-paint would last on the heads...Or if it would flake right of due to the heat.

berg969
12-17-2005, 07:33 PM
i paint motors all the time with regular automovive paint. If your motor is hot enough to flake paint the paint is the last of your worries

Hydro-T20
12-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Started today using the automotive paint...And I`m quite pleased with the result..
(And no, my engine runs cooool...Not as hot so the paint would flake, but I was not sure if automotive paint would stick to the heads during it`s regular running temp.)

Hydro-T20
12-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Here they are...

G Rowe
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
It dosen`t seem that that engine has been running for very long yet, so I was kinda hoping that there was somebody else here that knew if the "regular"-paint would last on the heads...Or if it would flake right of due to the heat.
Ha Ha, you would be right about it not running for long yet :) ,
I have a couple of 280,s painted aswell with no flaking after hours of use.
The paint i used is a dulux metalic gloss enamel, hot soapy washed the parts and then a good does of wax and grease remover.
Will post some pics if you want, looks good so long as you leave some parts unpainted to break it up a little.
G

Hydro-T20
01-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Ha Ha, you would be right about it not running for long yet :) ,
I have a couple of 280,s painted aswell with no flaking after hours of use.
The paint i used is a dulux metalic gloss enamel, hot soapy washed the parts and then a good does of wax and grease remover.
Will post some pics if you want, looks good so long as you leave some parts unpainted to break it up a little.
G

I had the heads glassbeaded, then used primer and the metallic blue paint you see in the pics+two layers of clear...Turned out good.
It looks like alot of parts now, but it`s only going to be "details" on the engine, don`t want to over do it as you mentioned...Think it will turn out great by the looks of things..
And yeah, please post the pics!;)

viper15
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
how about a few pics of that turbocharged merc?

G Rowe
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
heres one of them in the process of changing mids :)

G Rowe
01-11-2006, 08:52 PM
how about a few pics of that turbocharged merc?
I have a thread open with some pics, search twin turbo outboard.
In the process of making some mods :D

Hydro-T20
01-13-2006, 06:53 AM
And here they are.. There are 10-20 more but, can`t post all of em here..;)

graemers
03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Those are some wild mods!

RBT
03-09-2006, 10:07 AM
The heads are not Simons, They are Galen Burdens, Simons are a copy.

RT

jimslade
04-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Use a urethane paint,it is heat resistant. Imron will work but I don't suggest anyone other than a proffessional use it. IT WILL KILL YOU. I'm not Kidding.

ScarabEpic22
05-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow, are those 2 turbos I see on that powerhead??? Crazy, that thing must haul a$$!!!!

DonChicho
06-23-2006, 04:57 AM
What About Paint A Set Of Carbs Velocity Stacks ?. I'm Very Scare About Paint The Inside Part !! .

Thanks,
Don

pengilly
07-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Im in love:)

Fast Fig
09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
G Rowe & Hydro T-20 Damn-it Man!..................you guy's gotta be the fastest KIWI & VIKING in your hemisphere............ does that TWIN TURBO run on AQUAVIT & KIWI JUICE????
For all you non VIKINGS ...AQUAVIT is NORWEGIAN FIREWATER......... as powerfull as that baddass outboard. My avatar shows a picture of FRISKY after doing a shot of AQUAVIT, rushing it down with a JAMAICAN RED STRIPE!!
Wow the little fella says his chest burns & he can't breath!!!!!!!!! GO VIKINGS!!!!!!

ASTROCRAZY
07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
How much HP that twin turbo make????

brotherxb03
08-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I always heard painting a motor makes it run hotter.