PDA

View Full Version : stevens drag boat

Pages : [1] 2

bondo billy
12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I need information on the stevens some general history,where,when and how would be greatly appricated.

If your **** looks silly call bondo billy

Bruce Washburn
12-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I remember them building mostly Flatbottoms. They were out of California. I think they may also have built some drag hydros, and jet boats. I remember seeing their boats in the 70's but think they may have been one of the original SK style California v-drives from the early 60's.

Afishinado
03-24-2006, 05:26 AM
I own 'Turbulence', a 1962 17 Stevens. It is a flat bottom SK style. The boat was the retirement gift to Stevens' salesmanager when he retired from them in like 1974. Yes, believe it or not, he lived in NJ while he worked for them. I bought it in '97.. I tried to keep it all original (redid the interior and painted it same scheme), but the mechanical trans was about shot, clutch discs were slipping and none to be had. I converted to a Velvet drive and finally the original 283 power bit the bullet last year, and I put a 350 in it. I use it 2 sometimes 3 times a year (I have 3 other boats and am into fishing nowadays). When I feel the need for speed, I plunk it in, rattle everyones windows for an hour or two and get back on the trailer before I get in too much trouble. I'll make and upload some photos to an album. Good boat BTW, solid as a rock.
The gentleman I bought it from is still kicking, and has been by my place a couple times.
I have created an album, more photos there...
One other comment; Darn good thing I didn't have it when I was young and dumb!
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/176/176284/folders/202965/1612547AG26015.JPG

Loud Sphincter
07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Good looking flatbottom. A real thrill with moderate v-8 power. I have had several Raysons, Halletts, Sangers, Wescos...but never a Stevens. Always loved the swoosh stripe that turned down on the sides.

pancho
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
hey,just to let you know,a gentlemen in california is building a website with the name stevens boats.com,he owns several of them.i posted the same as you a while ago at the hotboat sight and got alot of interesting info from several members,it seems alot of these guys with high dollar drag boats have had a stevens in their past at some point.i bought mine abought a year ago and would love to know more about their history,it seems they were a pretty mainstream boat back in the day.you can also check out v-driveboat.com,it seems there is alot of stevens talk lately.i live near cape cod and these boats are very rare here,just recently i met a guy one town over from me that picked up a 65 with a buick nailhead and when he introduced himself at v-driveboat.com the same day a guy replied that the boat was in his family in california for twenty years and they want first dibs at buying if it were to come up again,they are going to share family photos and whatnot from the 70`s and 80`s,how cool is that.if you go to photos at v-driveboat.com look up (pancho) thats me and the 65 belongs to (Leadsledmerc)good luck with youre boat and dont be afraid to ask questions,we all share the same passion

OrangeCrush
12-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I had a 20' stevens v- drive with a big block chevy in it .it's sitting in my friends backyard. theguy that owns it lives in a motel. wanted a lot of money for it last year.ill' try to get some pictures.

Benji
11-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey guys, I am new to these forums, and i am finding my way around. I just purchased a 1973 stevens Jet, with LS6 454 with all the performance goodies. I am in the processs of doing some mild restoration, seats,cables,tune up, minor stuff. The boat runs great. I am looking for more info on the stevens. I t seems to be a solid boat.

pancho
11-08-2007, 10:34 AM
got any pics

Benji
11-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Yes I am new to this computer thing and can put them on without a browse option???? How do i post a pic?

pancho
11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
benji,i havent done it yet but from what i understand people put there pics on a photo hosting site and then create a link,these sites usually dont allow attachments like digital photos because of there size,so the storage is done remotely,check out photobucket or something like that,there are several free ones,have u looked at the help section here,its most likely explained somewhere in the past,good luck,maybe u can e-mail to a member here and they could post for youre till you get it figured out

Benji
11-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info, I will try.. I took it out yesterday for the first time and its a great boat. Very fast!! You can put the boat into a slide very nicely..
No speedo yet but It feels like around 60+ at 4500 rpm.. Going to purchase gps next week so I know top speed.. I'll try again on the pic's, I am curious to know more about this boat.

pancho
11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
hey,thats good news,glad you enjoyed it those first trips out are butterflies rides,lucky u on the weather,i just got in last night from the Outer Banks and it feels like snow here in mass today,when u go out with the gps deal dont be disapointed if the numbers arent what u hoped for,i have had friends lose interest in there boats once they saw what it is really running,remember speed is just what youre willing to spend,consider youre first number a baseline and then build from there,Kenny

pancho
11-10-2007, 02:10 PM
about that slide,i had a tahiti spin out on me once and i was hurt and it was not cool,be careful!

pancho
11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
benji,have you posted on hotboat yet?they have a just jets section with quite a few knowledgable folks hangin out

pancho
11-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey Benji,u still around,did i say somethin wrong?

Benji
11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
No I'm still here, just been busy with work. Did you say you were from mass? I am a former M*******. I miss it... I am looking to sell the motor that is currently in the boat. It is a 1966 396, and it's omly running around 400hp. I have been doing some reserch and this block matches the chevelle and people are looking to recreate matching # cars. I hope I can sell it to buy something with a little more hp.. I was on the river last weekend and ran side by side with a 2007 yamaha with twin 300hp jets. We were side by side to about 70mph and then he left me... I caught up to him at the bridge he said he topped out at 82mph... So I didnt do to bad considering I was up against a $60,000 dollar boat. Just out of curiosity how much could I get for my boat? I will try to attach pic's..
Ben. I t says Mb exceeds the forums limit??????

pancho
11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Benji,totally relate to the more hp deal,at one time when my folks had the boat it was pontiac powered and after several blowups we found a ad in the local paper that said 74 Trans Am burned out ,well we called and the lady said according to her notes it was a 455,my stepdad suspected a SD motor which meant nothing to me but to pontiac people this was a good motor so we hauled ass up there and yanked it out as fast as we could,we ran that motor until the historical and value factor became apparent,so easy to blow em up in a boat!the next motor was a 427 chev taken in trade during a layoff period with the local sawmill and come to find out it was a numbers correct 67 vette 435 horse block and heads that had never been opened up,once the word got out the phone was ringin which is how the LS7 thats in my boat came to be after some horse tradin and cash changed hands so i can honestly say youre motor will make someone very happy,do you plan a motor bye bye or the whole package deal,btw,thats a good speed for a first boat,i busted my ass playin with jets when i was younger to see 70mph.I moved here 7 years ago and got into a road rage deal and the guy yelled mass_____! my girl had to tell me what that meant,frickin hilarious!

Benji
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
I lived in ashland for many years, I miss plowing.... But now I can go boating all year round..Thats one good thing about florida...One good thing...I dont know what I want to do with this boat. I am thinking more power but also thinking, that i lose intrest in my toys quick, and I need a new one..So it's all up in the air.I was looking at some supercharged fox body stangs.Fast.... What do you think the boat is worth any Idea? My buddy up in uxbridge ,Ma has an old 73 hondo with 454 he paid 8g's, his is mint.. but will only do 60mph, and it's 17ft.What do you think?
Ben..

pancho
12-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Benji,it seems like you are looking for a fast boat that stevens is not gonna do it for ya,trust me i know,i am running an old glass over wood flatbotttom that i`ve thrown alot of hp at to just end up with a good runnin nostoglia flat,if i had any sense i would dump the hull and find a lightweight later day runner bottom but i`m kinda stuck,the boat has been in my family since 1967 and was passed to me with the assumption i would take care of it,i dream of being a rich guy with more than one boat,actually i do have two boats but back to the subject at hand,if youre boat has the motor you stated it is worth something,sad thing is the motor gets yanked and the boat gets thrown to the side,you seem to have been bitten by the hot rod boat bug and youre in a position of deciding which way to go i would be more than happy to pass on twenty plus years of outboards,jets and v-drives ownership,my name is Kenny and my number is 253-569-9792,feel free to call,we`ll just yak about old boats

Benji
12-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Still here... I am looking for a mustang. I need a new toy..

pancho
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
cool,figure out what youre doing with the boat

RLP
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
if ya # s is right on the 396,ya need to find the right collector in order to get the right money for it !

AND I DO KNOW THE RIGHT ONE!

I have 3 4-bolt external oil cooler 512 casting 1969 date code 427/454 blocks and 1 is going in a 1970 ss chevelle convertable for Jay Lenno.

LET ME KNOW IF YA NEED HELP GETTING IN THE RIGHT HANDS

Benji
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I am tradeing the boat for a custom mustang, built to my spec's. Cant wait it should be ready before chrismas.

pancho
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
damn,new toy time huh!

Benji
12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh yes... I am thinking 350hp and keep everthing basicly stock looking, I want a good driver not a race car. The color on the car is corvette copper, looks sick... I will be running some chrome bullet wheels also, this car is a perfect paint and all lights and mouldings are new. I cant wait to add to garage collection.

pancho
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Merry X-mas

pancho
12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
btw,they are talkin 5-8 inches tomorrow night,got youre plow handy

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
hey what up thats a cool boat. how fast does that go?

pancho
12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
i`m not sure who youre talkin to there,easy answer works for me

Benji
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey pancho,

I hate to tell you, but it's 81 degrees on the river today. There are some good things about florida. The boat ran great! We got her up to about 70mph and covered about 5miles in what seemed like 5 min. The river was very smooth not many boats today. Although we did hit a 5ft boat wake at around 50mph jumped the first and went straight through the next. Got a little wet.... had to run the buildge for a minute. hows the snow???

pancho
12-16-2007, 09:14 AM
hey benji,sounds like a good time,most people get a kick out of biting a wave now and then,last couple of days winter has delivered a real smackdown,snowing right now,i am on my way to alaska on moday for a couple months so this is more like a warm up for me,no biggie

Benji
12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Pancho, Alaska sounds great! We are heading to oregon and N. Cali road trip down the coast in april. Cant wait.. Going to rent a cadilac dts to run the coast! I wish I could bring the boat to crater lake, it looks sweet online.

pancho
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
that sounds sweet,i love road trips,we just drove down to the outer banks(carolinas) last month and really enjoyed it,the alaska deal is all work,kinda hard to see the beauty when youre working 16 hour days and no land in sight,its all good,backyard lake is froze and snow piled up,kinda cool view out the back patio with a good cup of java and a warm home,lights flickered a few times got my fingers crossed

Benji
12-16-2007, 11:26 AM
You gotta work to pay for those toy's! Have a good trip!

pancho
12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
thanks,will do,my stevens has ended up costing more than i planned so yep back to work,take care Benji

cbgann
01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Bondo Billy, Stevens (Mack and Mary) started the business in mid 50's. They were the home of the SK trademark. In '56 they initiated the glass covered wood decks. I picked up my first hull in 1961. They operated out of a quonsett hut in Gardena California on W. ElSegundo Blvd. Many of the other custom builders were working out of their backyards. I sold a few of their boats in Ct. and moved to Jupiter, Fl. in '67 when during the week, you could run at 86mph from the Jupiter to Stuart Inlet. Good old days.
The held the National SK title in both 62 and 63 with SK 45. Also had the speed record of 132mph for unblown fuel for years. Good Luck. Bill

gary slagle
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
good info, a close friend got his dragboat start in a 17 ft stevens, 454, dart intake & holley dominator, would run 80ish on radar,installed 150 nos plate system,punched it & blew plastic nuted pump inspection cover off inside boat & put it on the bottom of lake!! after repairing ,would run 89 to 90 .fun solid boat,until need for more speed got him,he moved into a curtiss 501 drag hydro,, ran 8 seccond class, then got into a top fuel hydro for a time, still wishes he had the stevens!:rolleyes:

Spike Morelli
01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Bondo Billy, Stevens (Mack and Mary) started the business in mid 50's. They were the home of the SK trademark. In '56 they initiated the glass covered wood decks. I picked up my first hull in 1961. They operated out of a quonsett hut in Gardena California on W. ElSegundo Blvd. Many of the other custom builders were working out of their backyards. I sold a few of their boats in Ct. and moved to Jupiter, Fl. in '67 when during the week, you could run at 86mph from the Jupiter to Stuart Inlet. Good old days.
The held the National SK title in both 62 and 63 with SK 45. Also had the speed record of 132mph for unblown gas for years. Good Luck. Bill
Bondo,
I'm the guy who owns the Stevens Boats website (STILL not up).
Bill's reply about Stevens Boats is accurate. Stevens was a Major player in hot inboards throughout the 60's and 70's. I do personally own four of them, (I had five once), which include the company's flagship blown gas hydro "Too Much", which was owned by Bill and Mary-ann Dirksing, as well as the "Mortician", a wood decked flatbottom that set five world records and held unblown fuel (not gas), for many years, going 132mph with two 327 Chevys inline, injected, on 70/30 methanol/nitro.
For now,E-mail anytime to talk about your Stevens needs at this e-mail address skippyandeeyore@sbcglobal.net

cbgann
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Spike, Thanks for the clarification on Mortician. Unblown fuel it was. Look forward to your website. Bill

Spike Morelli
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Hello Bill !
Glad to hear from you!
It's interesting that you mention SK-45. I'm a fan of that Stevens as well.
SK-45 was a 17' SK-Skier Model with a wood deck, most likely done by Harlan Orrin. The owner/driver was Don Towle, an employee of Edelbrock at the time, and the boat ran a dry sumped Edelbrock 392 Hemi with six strombergs on a Edelbrock Ram-Log manifold, complete with (for then)state-of-the-art Bill Morse "dry stacks".
It was named "Haf Gast Too", and yes, it won many SK championships. Don Towle's son Bobby and I have spoken off and on, and I'm told that the boat was a handfull to drive.
I wish they still had SK class racing. It was a class where the average working stiff could afford to compete.
SK(ski-kilometer) rules mandated that you use a ski boat hull (weight perameters), seating for two, a production cast iron american V-8 with a 400 cu.in. limit, carbureted, and cavitation plates fixed (adjustable on the trailer, not under way), running pump gas.
Ah, the good old days.......... Spike

pancho
02-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Please keep this thread alive!as a Stevens owner and two more in the family we hang on every piece of knowledge out there,would love to know about the early company history and whatnot,what seems like everday conversation to most is very cool for us,thanks

pancho
02-25-2008, 07:18 AM
to answer the naysayers out there yes we run old heavy wood flats and would gain alot by picking up new lightweight runner bottoms,but thats not what we are about,money is not an issue,wish i had a dollar for every time i heard someone say imagine how fast it would it be in a lightweight,a friend of mine is restoring a 67 SK and shoving a nailhead in it,wont be the fastest boat out there but i can assure you it will be fun,PEACE

Spike Morelli
02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Pancho,
Granted, I'm admittedly bias towards the older boats, due to my personal involvement, but I agree wholeheartedly with you.
It seems that there's an entire segment of this hobby that hasn't experienced what kind of FAMILY FUN a hot inboard ski-boat can be, or that owning one is more that just having the money to buy one, it's akin to building a classic deuce coupe or '57 chevy.
Most ( 90+%)of these boats were bought and used as ski boats and were powered by every make of engine available. All were put together differently and were truly custom. As opposed to today, hot inboards came with metalflake or/and wood decks, or custom paint jobs. Todays boat comes out of the mold with factory "graphics" for the most part and are powered by "crate" motors.
How many sixties hot boats have you seen with 392 Chrysler Hemis, ...LOTS, and the 392 was only made for two years in '57 and '58, so brand new boats were being built with older, used, sometimes wrecking yard engines. Nail-heads, buicks, olds', same story. The "new" engines in the mid-sixties were the big block Chevy 396 and 427s, as well as 427 Fords and late Mopar Hemis and wedges. The guys getting into hot boats today only know what a 454 or (buzz word)"468" is.
When "T-Decks", "runner bottoms", and "gullwing", etc, boats were being developed, they were developed for straight line racing, and at a time when the heyday of hot inboards was closing , and are not representative of what was REALLY happening every day on the local lakes and rivers. It was straight-deck, "flat"bottomed flatbottoms, seating for four, big polished engine "water hot rods", if you will.
We all raced each other for fun, but we didn't have a race boat. The addage still applies today: "Race boats make crappy ski-boats, and Ski-boats make lousy race boats"
Spike

pancho
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
well said sir!

pancho
02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
whats new with the website?patiently waiting,thanks for the reply

pancho
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
i rather enjoy being told that i`m wasting my time trying to go fast in a old wood flat,nothing like a good challenge and as i remind people its my time and money,the et`s and mph numbers from the mid 60`s were pretty stout for boats that could never be fast

Spike Morelli
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Pancho,
About the website, It's format has been compiled and is close to going. Amazingly, after all this time that no one knew what ever happened to Mack and Mary Stevens, I find an address for them.
I have written to them to get their blessing and participation in this site, as the site is ,in fact, about their company and their boats. I won't go forward until such time as they (if they're still with us) give me the O.K.
I plan to include an 80 page catalog from the late sixties to view, tech help, parts for sale/wanted, owner's gallery with photos, magazine articles and performance tests, bio of the owners(Stevens) and the company, interviews with Stevens' vendors, articles(full page) on significant Stevens boats or record holders, etc.
Anyone with a Stevens product will be able to e-mail a photo of their boat to be included in the Gallery.
As you can see, It's an ambitious project. Lots of time, effort going into it.
Stevens Boats is my thing, but there were many very cool makes of boats in the day. Rayson-Craft, Litchfield,Poty,Aqua-Craft,Hallett,Mandella,Dragon-Craft,Wickens,Miller,Patterson,Schiada, and lots more. Hopefully, someone will pick up on one of these other cool boat companies and build renewed interest with the new crowd. These boats could stop being cool right now, and it would take another 40 years for the new guys to catch up,...........................
if they last that long. Spike

pancho
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
thanks for the info,it would be really cool if you get the family on board,looking forward to the site,thanks again

Spike Morelli
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Did you know that Stevens Boat Co. also built outboard boat models?
They made various different flatbotoms too. There was a 16' E Class racing hull, a 17' SK Skier, a 17' SK Silhouette, a 17' Sportster(with windshield and engine cover,floorboards,etc.),a 17' Luxury Regent, an 18' Luxury Regent, the popular 18' Silhouette, a ski hydro, a "Hydro-Dragster", various jet boat models, and 16'-18' deep "V" hulls with either jet or V-Drive power.
They built an interesting "Mini-Hydro" which was outboard powered, sat two people inline,and was 10 feet long. The first PWC!
Stevens even capitalized on the dune buggy craze, and offered metalflake dune buggy bodies and kits back then. (It's a little known fact that Hondo Boats built dune buggy bodies as well). Both Stevens and Hondo's dune buggy bodies had the die-cast metal boat company emblem attached to the pass side dashboard!
Factory built Stevens Boats had their own thru-hull hardware, shaft logs,turning fins were cast out of bronze with the letters "stevens" on them. (Struts might have been too, I just don't have one to verify that).
I'll get in to all of this on the site, it's pretty interesting.
Spike

pancho
02-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey Spike,keep it coming i love this stuff,my boat is a 63 silhouette that measures 16`7" and still has the original strut with the Stevens name cast into it,i`ve seen the outboards and jets but knew nothing of dune buggies,when these guys were doing this stuff they weren`t talking to investment counselors to see the profit potential they just got an idea and did it,it seems that Stevens were the bayliner of hot boats back in the day and deserve a few minutes of our time,i have seen countless racer profiles that include an early Stevens in their profile

cbgann
02-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Spike - If the address you have doesn't pan out; You might try and find Terry Frahs in Jacksonville, Fl. He was building the 17' silouette under license when Mack and Mary disappeared.

Pancho - Your Silouette looks fantastic, How big is the motor and what is top end? On the other hand Stevens was definitetly not the Bayliner of Hot Boats. Bill

pancho
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Cbgann,my bayliner comment was meant towards popularity and certainly not quality,weve had some of those cruddy boats come through our group in years past and i can personally attest to how poorly they are rushed together,thats some interesting info about the frahs,i know boats were built under that name,funny how cloudy the bloodlines get on these boats sometimes,you dont see people trying to find the name of the workers at a GM plant but a drag boat owner wants to know who laid up their hull,i have followed threads on restos where over time people learn the history of their boats through the memories of some of the guys that were there and that is probably my favorite thing that the internet has done for our hobby.I applaud the efforts of someone like Spike for getting this stuff recorded before its gone.

pancho
02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
thanks for the compliment on my boat,as far as top end its unknown,right now a new port side stringer is going in and i`ll be adding backing plates to all of the cav plate linkage and whatnot,never seemed like the same boat two days in a row and i think there was too much give in critical areas,i am also adding a prop shaft release, want to be as safe as possible.the prevoius owner spent more time beach posing than running hard so i am chasing all the setup bugs, my ass says a hundred but gps will probably make me cry,oh well,still dig the boat regardless.the motor is a 1970 over the counter LS-7 short block assembly built right with heavily massaged 990 heads,big solid cam,always loved the sound,roller top end with a rev kit,msd ignition,pair of hp750 carbs and plate nos,23 gears in the box and a 11.50x15 stellings 2 blade prop.my goal this year is to maximize this combo and then start picking on individual areas,i think there is some respectable numbers here just have to chase em down

pancho
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
right now there is 12.5to1 pistons in there and finding fuel around here is not easy,read about a octane booster available from (batterystuff.com) and would like to find someone thats used it and how it worked for them,stuffs not cheap but neither is driving halfway across the state to have 20 gallons of explosion in the back of the truck,btw heres a pic of my buddys 67 stevens thats getting a makeover right now with nailhead power,the hemi is going to a street rod

cbgann
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Pancho - My first Stevens was like your buddies except it had the engine hatch and windshield which made it the"Luxury "Regent" model. Same target with the red metalflake and white hull. Spent a lot of time building up a 327/350 only to find that for about the same price and no labor; a box stock L88 was about 6 mph faster. Ref Terry Frahs; after Stevens closed, he built his own race oriented hulls with considerably less freeboard. Used to see him at Miami Marine Stadium. Have a great day and enjoy the Stevens. Bill

pancho
02-28-2008, 03:35 PM
cb,thanks for keeping up,are you still playing with hot boats?sounds like you pass for a history teacher for some of us and that is cool,i`m a sucker for the nostalgia,have an old friend who started outboard racing in the late 50`s and never tire of his campfire stories

pancho
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
cb,i just looked at (berkshirewoodenboats.com) and it says on their site that they now have the frahs molds,i knew there was something familiar to me

cbgann
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Pancho - Thanks for the info: Website is berkshirewoodenboats.net. Interesting, they are trying to bring the hi perf. v-drive boats to New England.
We left Ct. fresh out of school in '67 to sell the Stevens hi perf. boats to Florida. First questions were, Beautiful boat but is it as fast as a Donzi? It was amazing, how many 80 to 100mph boats that Stevens could beat running at 77mph.
Does the Berkshirewoodenboats co. have a large inventory? May try to check them out when in Ct. this summer. Bill

Spike Morelli
02-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Pancho,
Your buddy's boat appears to be the 17' model, nice looking too. Man, they sold a lot of 17 footers.
I have a soft spot for early Hemi's, but a Nailhead is cool too.
I know a guy who worked at "Aero-Marine" in the sixties, and they supplied Stevens with marine-equipped engines and installed them for Mack and Mary. The interesting thing that he told me, is that Stevens always wanted the engines painted gloss white, from the factory. A quick look through the catalog bears this out....I didn't know what color the engines in the pictures were, I knew they were a light color, but the catalog is in black and white. They coulda been yellow for all I could tell.
I'll go on record at this time and say that ,if you bought a turn-key boat from Stevens, the engine (regardless of make) was probably painted white( listening restorers?).
The boats came to get engines in them fully rigged. This meant that the engine installer had to accomodate the steering cables that Stevens ran INSIDE of the stringers. The mounting feet had to be drilled or notched for the cables.
My personal ski-boat restoration has a white 406 Ford, Holman&Moody equipped. Spike

pancho
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Spike,my buddys boat came from cali a few years ago,the early hemi in it has been there for what weve been told at least 20 years and was last freshened up by Joe Reath,whats really cool is the boat was bought for the motor and the rest was probably gonna be a bonfire someday,where we live is not what you would call a hotboat hub,we met on the the net and another early hot rod is saved

Spike Morelli
03-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Pancho,
I know Joe Reath, funny you run across him, although I haven't seen him, or his wife Del, in a while,(years).
At one time, believe it or not, I had fourteen 392's, bought them all from different people back when they hadn't started to get pricey(70's). I ended up selling a bunch of engine stuff (girdles, four-bolt caps, adjustable rocker assys, heads) to Joe. Reath Automotive was off the 405 freeway on Cherry Avenue in Long Beach, Cal.
I built one of the Hemis for my hydro, and sold the rest of the engines, one at a time ,to various guys in the Classic V-Drive Club, who found out that I had 'em. Great engines.....

pancho
03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
my friend Keith is a home street rod builder,when he posted a pic of the boat a relative of the past owner in Cali saw it and filled him in on the history and how the Reath connection became known,being a long time street rod guy he is quite familiar with Joe and when he found out his motor was last freshened by him that was really bitchin for him and gave the boat more of a significance and probably spurred him on to restore and use it rather than just looking at the running gear,heres a quick pic of the latest build and is now much further along than this,this will also be the occasional tow rig giving it a double bitchin factor.Spike thanks for giving this boat owner with a significant other someone i can point to when the war dept raises hell about 1 boat and 1 motor,honey this guy has 5 boats and at one time 14 motors so quit yer bitchin it could be worse,hah

Choptop
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
New to the forum... Howdy.

Been looking for this Stevens for a while now. My Dad bought the boat in the early 60's and raced it on and off until the 70's. It was named the "Exciter".

It was sold to someone in the Reno, NV area in the early 80's.

I'd love to get this boat back in the family.

contact me at alan-at-billetproof.com

http://www.billetproof.com/images/alanpics/exciteratfarioaks.jpeg

Armymaneagleinfantry
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mantra Boats outta TN cause that would be awesome!

Cody

pancho
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mantra Boats outta TN cause that would be awesome!

Cody
Try these sights also (performanceboats.com) and (socaljetboats.com)

pancho
05-05-2008, 04:57 PM
New to the forum... Howdy.

Been looking for this Stevens for a while now. My Dad bought the boat in the early 60's and raced it on and off until the 70's. It was named the "Exciter".

It was sold to someone in the Reno, NV area in the early 80's.

I'd love to get this boat back in the family.

contact me at alan-at-billetproof.com

http://www.billetproof.com/images/alanpics/exciteratfarioaks.jpeg
Try (v-driveboat.com) and (performanceboats.com) lotta v-drive stuff going on with old school racers,good luck

aquavette
05-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I started out looking for a clean 19' liberator/daytona. Couldn't find one within 500 miles that wasn't either a POS or priced ridiculously high...

Stumbled across this little 17' Stevens, and couldn't resist. Brought it home on Saturday. Completely outfitted with Glenwood hardware, and a Casale v-drive.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/aquavette/20700104574_4664240.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/aquavette/20700104574_4664245.jpg

LeadSledMerc
05-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Real nice aquavette, your Stevens looks in excellant shape. What year is it? Have you had it out yet?

I picked up my first flatbottom last year. It's a '65 Stevens that I've gone completely through this past winter. I've still got that shi* eatin grin left from last year when I first put it in the water.:D

Good luck with your's and share some more pics.

Afishinado
05-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Thought I'd add this brochure for you guys to check out. My boat is actually the one posing (17' SK Silhouette) in this brochure, to think I was 11 years old LOL.... Unfortunately due to some personal reasons I recently had to let her go.....

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/afishinado/frontcover.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/afishinado/insidepg3.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/afishinado/insidepg2.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/afishinado/insidepg1.jpg

aquavette
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Real nice aquavette, your Stevens looks in excellant shape. What year is it? Have you had it out yet?

I picked up my first flatbottom last year. It's a '65 Stevens that I've gone completely through this past winter. I've still got that shi* eatin grin left from last year when I first put it in the water.:D

Good luck with your's and share some more pics.

It is a '64 model, and seems very solid. Finish is even in great shape. gave the boat a good once over on Saturday, and took it for a quick spin on Sunday. I have a handful of minor issues to address, but all in all it is pretty lakeworthy as it sits.

A few more pics.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/aquavette/20700104574_4664241.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/aquavette/20700104574_4664246.jpg

pancho
05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey Leadsled post up some pics of the restore bud

LeadSledMerc
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey Leadsled post up some pics of the restore bud
Almost done with the restore and changes on my '65...hopefully it'll get wet by next weekend.

pancho
05-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Excellent

LeadSledMerc
06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Excellent
Thanks.

I finally got it wet this past weekend...ran excellant!:D

Spike Morelli
06-20-2008, 12:18 AM
It is a '64 model, and seems very solid. Finish is even in great shape. gave the boat a good once over on Saturday, and took it for a quick spin on Sunday. I have a handful of minor issues to address, but all in all it is pretty lakeworthy as it sits.

A few more pics.

Aquavette, what you've got is a 17' SK Silhouette, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
A Stevens built that year with a small Chevy for power would have a 283 or 327.
I have some original seat cushion sections in my storage shed, and either your seats are nice originals, or they've been re-done like the original design.
The metalflake finish looks pretty perfect, love that......
The adjustable cavitation plate is an upgrade available from the factory.
The steering wheel and engine valve covers have been changed from what the factory pieces were, as they are not era correct for the boats manufacture.
The rudder guard on the trailer looks like a Vance design, hard to tell exactly from the photo, but a Vance trailer would have been the original unit. Trailers built then would have had a Mahogany taillight board that's removeable. If the trailer is a Vance, someone's updated the lights to personal taste.
I'm not picking apart your boat, I think it's beautiful, just adding some info as to how they were new.
Love it......... Spike

Spike Morelli
06-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Afishinado,
Your '62 Stevens that you assume to be the "Actual one posing...." in the catalog, is incorrect.
Your hull is a 17' Skiier. It has a more anglular rear side around the transom, which is white, like the sides, even over the top of the rear deck. Your hull has a bulkhead glassed in forward of the engine, the engine being a small block Chevy.
The 17' Silhouette has a rounded rear at the transom, and the rear deck is same color as the main deck. The Silhoutte has no bulkhead ahead of the engine either, which, in the catalog picture's case, is a big block Ford. In '62 you're talking a 390 or a 406.
The "Target Design" on both of the boats is the same style, and color. so that may have made you assume that it is the same exact boat.
Of note, for restorers, are the jet boat, the 17' Silhouette, and 18' Silhouette pictures in the catalog. Check out the WHITE engines. The Stevens factory production boat came with a white painted engine, regardless of make of engine. The other boats pictured have custom engines installed, and could be whatever color the owner wanted.
I hope you understand that I'm not calling you out, it's just that I've been researching Stevens Boats for years. I just intend to inform the Stevens Faithfull out there.....Best to you.
Respectfully, Spike

Spike Morelli
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM

A few more pics.

Aquavette, what you've got is a 17' SK Silhouette, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
A Stevens built that year with a small Chevy for power would have a 283 or 327.
I have some original seat cushion sections in my storage shed, and either your seats are nice originals, or they've been re-done like the original design.
The metalflake finish looks pretty perfect, love that......
The adjustable cavitation plate is an upgrade available from the factory.
The steering wheel and engine valve covers have been changed from what the factory pieces were, as they are not era correct for the boats manufacture.
The rudder guard on the trailer looks like a Vance design, hard to tell exactly from the photo, but a Vance trailer would have been the original unit. Trailers built then would have had a Mahogany taillight board that's removeable. If the trailer is a Vance, someone's updated the lights to personal taste.
I'm not picking apart your boat, I think it's beautiful, just adding some info as to how they were new.
Love it......... Spike

pancho
06-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Hey Spike anything new with the site?

http://www.stevensboats.com/

Spike Morelli
06-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Pancho,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It's still on approach.<o:p></o:p>
I've been so busy with re-painting the house, boat shows, work, ETC., that I haven't been dealing with the webmaster lately.<o:p></o:p>
I brought my Stevens Drag Hydro "Too Much" to the Boatfest at Bass Lake Ca., and had a great time. There was a guy there who restored a 17' Stevens flat with a supercharged Buick nailhead, that had a reverse grind camshaft. The engine inhales through the exhaust ports, and exhausts out the intakes. It was featured in an issue of Hot Boat a year or two ago. The guy (sorry, I forgot his name right now) did a beautiful job of engineering and restoring on it. Look for that one in your old Hot Boat magazines, if you have any.<o:p></o:p>
I've been spending most of my boating efforts on my 18' Stevens. It's got a way to go.<o:p></o:p>
Put a different mag on the blown Hemi ( a Scheifer unit from the sixties), changed plugs, and my priming technique, and now it really runs good.<o:p></o:p>
Took the "Mortician" over to Pete Giroux's speed and marine shop to have some trailer welding done last Monday.<o:p></o:p>
So, I'm keeping busy, but I PROMISE, I'll get back on having the website put up.<o:p></o:p>
SPIKE

pancho
06-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey Spike no worries kinda did that to let other peeps know of its existence.That reverse flow 63 Stevens is on the River Rats-2 video available from v-drivevideo.com.You know the rules right if you speak of a boat you have to include pics also.Went for a ride in my friends 65 Stevens last night powered by a 401 nailhead and what a sweet boat,he did a total resto this winter and hit it out of the park.:thumbsup: http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/forumdisplay.php?f=3

http://www.v-drivevideo.com/cart/index.php

Spike Morelli
06-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Pancho,
Wow! you read my mind about posting pictures. I couldn't get my photos to attach to my e-mail. I even asked my wife to see if she could,(she's good at the computer stuff), but she couldn't figure why our pictures weren't attaching either.
I was trying to attach a photo of the "Mortician", and "Too Much", a flat and a hydro that I own, to add to the eye candy that you guys have posted.
Now you know why the website is dependant entirely on the webmaster's schedule. When it comes to most things computer, I'm a cyber idiot.............
As to the photo of the Giroux trailer decal, yes, that is the same Giroux, Pete Giroux, to be exact. Great guy. His shop is actually called Giroux Boats, I think, and is located in Camarillo, California. They still make custom trailers. as well as complete boats and what have you. Pete Giroux owns some of Hondo's and ,(I think), a cole Boats mold, and they make 'em new there.
Pete made a custom steel prop strut for my Stevens hydro that has a small foil, or, wing, on the barrel. I was telling him how the Stevens hydro is heavy and doesn't "Blow the tail" as easily as the lighter, sleeker , Sangers etc.
Pete said that he had heard of someone adding a wing to his prop strut. I asked him if it really worked. He didn't know. I said, let's try it and we did. It does help. I also added a " clever" style prop, that adds a lot of transom lift to it as well.
How's the nailhead running?
Spike

LeadSledMerc
06-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Pancho,
How's the nailhead running?
Spike
Spike, The Nailhead is running fantastic!
I like it a lot more than the Hemi that was in it...plus it's a Nailhead!:D;)
Keith

Spike Morelli
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Keith,
That's a really nice Nailhead, I'll bet it's pretty torquey. The Edelbrock mounts and wet manifolds are getting harder to find too. Who ground your cam? Headwork? Pistons?
I need to correct myself as to Aquavette's boat. I said it was a 17' Silhouette. That is incorrect, it's a 17' Skiier.
I must have been looking at how nicely the sides roll up around the transom when I typed that. This is one of those curious things you'll find. Possibly there was a mold change at Stevens, or a change in how the deck was moulded in to the bottom, because some Skiiers are more angular than others back there.
Clearly, the 17' Silhouette has a completely different deck cap, that has a one piece color matching deck which includes the afterdeck. My mistake.
Spike

pancho
06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Spike you seem to be up on the Stevens stuff my boat has notches at the transom that i havent seen on another 60`s Stevens someone once said it was probably bought as a hull and decked somewhere else that sound possible?

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Pancho,
Well, It appears to me that, judging from the photo you attached, you've got a wood deck that's been painted over. A factory glass deck has a deck that rolls down smoothly into a dashboard, and the dashboard turns gracefully into the sides of the gunwales. Check out the photo of Aquavette's dash to see how a glass deck rolls into the sides and dash.
With the cost of repairing, or replacing wood decks so expensive ( although not really overpriced when you see how labor intensive it is, and what kind of a craftsman and talent it requires), lots of boat owners opt to merely paint over an aging wood deck.
As for Stevens, there wasn't a wood deck guy per se, in Stevens employ. Stevens used various wood deck artisans from a pool of guys who did wood as a specialty. I know a man named Harlan Orrin, who did many of Stevens' wood deck jobs, but he also did Mandellas, Rayson-Crafts, etc., at the same time. He was (and still is) a veritable "gun for hire" in the industry.
Every guy who did wood decks has a signature style, or method of building and styling a wood deck. Harlan has told me that he can often tell just by looking at a picture of the deck, who did the job. Interesting.
Also, you can have a wood deck put on any glass deck boat years after it was built. They just cut the deck off and build a new one on top of the glass hull bottom, like putting a lid on a coffee cup.
Anyhow, not to be so long winded, I think that's why your rear deck is raised, or " notched ", I think there's a wood deck under the paint.
Am I correct?
By the way, from the photo, it appears that engine and v-drive placement is moved forward in race boat fashion and the transom has no exhaust holes. Did your boat at one time have thru-hull exhaust trumpets, and has the v-drive angle been changed from a 12 degree box to a 9 or 10 degree box and strut? It's all hot dog stuff, including the adjustable plate set-up. Just wondering how much is a factory set-up. So many boats have been modified to taste, at this point, and the restorer in me is always interested in how something was when new, and how it becomes to be how it is today.
Most v-drive flatbottoms are like an archeological dig when you get into it's history.........
Spike

pancho
06-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Ya Spike wood decker,hear that Harlan name alot.Boat came from Cali in 1967 with Pontiac power and thru hull exhaust with the adjustable cav plate.In 1990 the guy i bought the boat from converted to Chev and moved the motor forward 8" but left the rest original from what he said

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Pancho,
Very cool. I can picture your boat with a 389 and Tri-Power in my mind. Pontiacs, Buicks, Olds, Caddys, were very commonly used in the sixties for hot inboards, along with FE Fords and Chevy 327s, 348s, and 409s.
All that stuff is coming back again too, it's amazing. Metalflake finishes and wood decks are on the rise as well.
I may be off a year or two on this, but the big 396/427 Chevy style engines came on the scene around '65 or '66, so most boats built prior have had an engine swap if they're big block powered.
Headders, or, "dry stacks", as they were called, were only used on race boats, and even then, not ALL of them. Though many independant makers made exhaust stacks for customers, it was Bassett who started mass producing headders for the masses, again, somewhere around(I think) '65.
Consequently, you'll find most boats earlier than '65 had thru-hull exhausts originally.
No matter, you'd be hard pressed to find a factory set-up boat these days, like their land counterpart hot rods, most people will tell you they're never finished!
By the way, Harlan isn't the only game in town. Jim, or John Miller of Miller Boat Fame(brothers with two separate businesses) still build fantastic wood decks here in So Cal, as well as Clayton John ( C.J.)who's in Oakhurst Cal., I believe. Interested wood deck guys take note.
Hang on, I'm still going to post a few pictures of my boat(s) so you can see what I'm up to. I'm jealous, your ski boat is running, mine isn't.......................
Spike

pancho
06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I have seen pics of the boats coming from the Miller shop simply amazing.My boat is apart right now after having a new stringer put in and needs to be assembled. Went for a ride Sat with leadsledmerc in his Stevens with the nailhead that thing runs great and is beautiful to look at,check out the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUuccvzXj8

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Pancho and Leadsled,
O.K., now I'm jealous of both of you. My 18' Silhouette will be a while before I can use it. That video looked fun. I asume a cold beverage awaited on shore!
Well, since I haven't figured out yet how to post some of MY photos yet, try this: I've mentioned the Stevens boat "Mortician" that I'm bringing back.
Go to www,vintagehydroplanes.com, on the left side of the page, click on "viewers photo albums". Now click on "Bob Foley". There's a nice photo on page 3 of the "Mortician" in the sixties,
That's the best I can do for now, but I'd love to share with you how it looks today. Anyway, check it out, tell me what you think.
Spike

pancho
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Spike i have seen pics of the Mortician before and that thing has a cool factor of 11 nice to know its still around and well kept, good job

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Pancho,
Let's see here if I can get a photo posted. If this works, it's a photo of my 18' Silhouette. The picture shows the hull's original red metalflake and white gelcoat after I stripped four different coats of paint off of her!
A previous owner sanded the metalflake, so I'll need to re-finish her, although she doesn't look too bad in this shot.
The original Vance trailer came with it, and I have totally restored every piece to the trailer.
This is the ski boat, the one that's getting the Holman-Moody 406 Ford.

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey Panch!
Beers are on me! I got a photo to attach! Hell is freezing over baby!
O.K., now that I got over that deal, let's see if I can shoot a photo of the Mortician's engines. The entire boat is going to come apart after I finalize all of the installation. Restoring a boat that someone else built, and that that someone isn't with us any more requires a lot of "reverse engineering" from photos and fourty year old memories.
Here's one for you Chevy Faithfull out there.......try TWO 327s INLINE, LINKED AT THE CRANKS, HILBORN INJECTED ON NITRO/METHANOL MIX!
The shot in front of the garage shows the headders in mock-up, before they got welded and coated. (That's the ski boat behind it in the garage)
Spike

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Here's One,
This is from my file.
The group shot is a photo taken in fron of Stevens Boat Co. in the early sixties. The sign says .."Fast ski boats, SK Boats, Drag Boats"

Spike Morelli
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
The Stevens Hydro,
Stevens didn't make a lot of these, but they're cool. It's basically an 18' Silhouette deck,on a hydro styled hull.
This one is mine, a blown gasser from '65, owned and raced by Bill Dirksing originally.

pancho
06-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Very cool stuff there glad you got the pic thing figured out :cheers:

I have a 17ft open bow fish/ski in our backyard lake and it sure is nice to have a running and reliable boat to play with when the hot rod gets frustrating just gas up fill the cooler and get out on the water with no hassles.

Is the hydro a running deal? looks intense

I have an Aunt in Cali that i sent this link to and she said there was a local band out there she used to go watch and there was a Spike Morelli in the band,coincidence

pancho
06-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Heres a pic that was sent to me dont remember who`s shop maybe Miller

Spike Morelli
06-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Pancho,
Tell your aunt that, yes, I am the same Spike Morelli. I am one of the original founding members, and lead singer for Lil Elmo and the Cosmos from late'72 thru '97, when the group started to break up. It's amazing how solid our fan base still is.
Most boat people however, know me as Spike, who's into Stevens Boats, and that's great , I am into boats.

About the hydro, you bet it runs, like a watch. The blown,injected 398" Chrysler Hemi was originally built by the late Dave Zeuschel. It puts out between 800 to maybe1000 horsepower on gas, depending on the tune. Stuart Hilborn himself autographed the injector scoop at an awards ceremony. Both the hydro"Too Much" and the "Mortician" are built using all of the original, refurbished hardware too.
I've been to Miller's shop, I can't tell if it is,but doesn't look like I recall. Jim Miller had wall to wall boats that he was working on when I was there. I hope that it's in the cards to have him re-do the Mortician's deck.
Talk about wood decks, how about that picture I posted of the boats in front of Stevens' shop. Harlan Orrin sent me that photo. The wood deck in the foreground is his work.
Although I own two legitimate drag boats, with the Mortician having set 5 World Records, custom ski boats are the most fun. The 18' Stevens Silhouette (the red and white one) will ultimately get the most use.
My family's been boating since around 1960, and I've driven friends outboards, stern drives, jets, and what have you. For me, I've always loved the feel, the sound, the looks of a hot v-driven inboard.
Wouldn't it be great, if other passionate Stevens owners, people I asume to be like ourselves, would someday all meet at a lake somewhere, for an annual Stevens Boat get together, like you used to see in SHOT BOAT magazine? ( "the only magazine that mattered" to them......
Spike

Noah1
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Hey Spike That is so cool two in-line 327's
Thanks for sharing the pictures.:cheers:

pancho
06-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Spike thats cool about the band deal!

Thats neat about the hydro and its history must be an explosive and white knuckle ride just how i like it:thumbsup:

I could see a Stevens get together down the road something that would probably start out small but grow over time.

Were you signed up on v-driveboat.com before the server was changed this winter? There is always something popping up about stevens it seems. New owners often find their way there and seem to come from all over the country. I`m sure there are members that know you but also alot that dont your membership would be appreciated by all.

I was gonna post the pics you sent me but maybe you would like to,heres the link to new members hope to see you there.
Kenny

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/forums.php

Spike Morelli
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Pancho,
I don't think I ever posted anything on v-driveboat.com.
I did post something on ********************, talking about Tony Marichich, and his SK boat " Suddenly" a while back, but by and large, I don't surf all the boat sites.
Lately, I've just been here. You can post any of the pictures if you like elsewhere. People might enjoy them.
Eventually, with a Stevens website, I'll be there, and people who want to talk about a Stevens they have,(or had), or talk parts or tech, can do their thing there.
You'd be suprised, that although you hear lots of guys talk about their Hondo or Sanger or whatever , there's twice as many people out there with a hot Stevens.
Spike

pancho
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Spike i agree on the amount of Stevens out there i think most just lurk cause its not a show/10 second boat and the net seems to bring out the braggerts and alot of one upmanship,too bad not everyone needs to go a hundred.
Hope you reconsider on joining i`m sure lots of peeps would enjoy your knowledge and history.
Heres a couple of pics sent to me by a friend of a Stevens that lurks in the NW,looks like someone went all out although not period correct a nice looking boat none the less

Spike Morelli
06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Pancho,
Now there's a hull style I don't see many of any more. That's a deep v-bottom. It also has adjustable plates. My guess is that it rides pretty good in rough or choppy water.
Interesting trailer, looks completely custom made.
Note the polished aluminum exhaust port plugs at the back of the hull. Like I said, if the Stevens wasn't ordered new from the factory as a race boat, or bare hull, it came with thru-hull exhaust trumpets (which this owner has plugged, to run headers instead).
The peacock colored metalflake hull has been kept, and the "target" (as Stevens called it), or side spear design, has been custom painted over. It looks in great shape, I like it a lot. One of the things I've always liked about metalflake, is how when you paint a boat's name, or licence numbers, or, in this case, the side design over a metalflake finish, because of the clear over the flake, the thing that's painted on seems to "float" over the metalflake finish. There's a certain depth to painting on a metalflake gelcoat that's custom looking.
That's a real sweet Stevens, to be sure.
About the braggers, they're all talk mostly. If you really are cool, you don't have to tell anyone that you are,they know without you saying so.
Any one who was really there in the heyday of hot inboards and v-drives knows that the real flatbottoms that were out on the water were probably around a 70 mph ski boat. Say, a L-88 with a tunnel ram, ski-gears, a three blade prop, aluminum over transom pipes, seating for four, flat bottomed flatbottom, regardless of make of hull, was probably an honest 70 mph boat. There were faster, there were slower, but that's what they were.
Sometimes, it seems that some guys are just thumping their chest in a testosterone overload trying to look big in front of their boyfriends. Great you guys, go drop your pants and enter a contest over there...........
One time, I was at the Colorado River, at the Parker strip, sitting at one of the many bars on the water, having a "soda" with my older brother, just enjoying the afternoon and watching the girls and boats go by, minding my own business. I had just finished the restoration of a '67 Hallettt circle race flatbottom(long deck). The engine was a very hot 427 Ford medium riser, all polished up and painted nice. Just a simple and beautiful looking piece.
Some idiot saunders over and asks me if that's my boat (pointing to the Hallett). "Yes, it is" I say. Then Captain I,Q. goes on to tell me, "I bet my boat's faster than yours..............". I told him how impressed I was (yawn), and how I bet he was the envy of all his friends.
He wasn't sure how to take that. I continued my conversation with my brother. He got the message and went away. Point is, this guy wasn't into boats. If he was, he'd have checked out that gorgeous Hallett and taken in the details. That boat was a creampuff!
Behind the wheel of a high powered inboard is NO place for stupid people. And, just because you have lots of dough, doesn't mean you belong there either. The heart and soul, meat and potatoes people who make hot boating great are blue collar, intelligent, working stiffs, who have a love of machinery and form, and respect for this floating piece of art, that can kill if handled wrong.
Like you said, not everyone needs to go one hundred, realistically, very few of us SHOULD go one hundred. It's not all about that.
For me, this is fun, and I enjoy a nice inboard, how fast it goes is the last question I'll ever ask.
Did I go off on the subject, or what! Sorry... Spike

LeadSledMerc
06-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Well said, Spike...I agree 110%!!

pancho
06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Very well said its a shame there are people like that cause it probably keeps some from posting thinking their boat isn't going to be good enough or wont run the bench race numbers that some are claiming:iagree:
Riding in Keith's boat last weekend was just as fun as any 100 MPH boat i have been in frankly dont really like being the passenger at those speeds anyways.The guy i bought my boat from thought it was cool to take new people and scare the crap out of them (not cool).When i used to line up and lake race i knew what kind of person they were afterwords by whether we enjoyed a refreshment :cheers:together and just admired each others boats or they just drove off sulking or gloating and being a total dick about it.

I have a favorite saying that could probably be applied to myself sometimes

(More money than sense)

Spike Morelli
06-26-2008, 08:52 PM
By the way.......
There is one piece to the Mortician that I don't have, and would appreciate it enormously if anyone can be of help finding this.
What I need, is a "Thompson" finned aluminum timing cover for a small block Chevy. Mickey Thompson made a lot of marine equiptment in the sixties, and this part is one of his, and it's kinda an early piece because in says"Thompson" on it, instead of M/T.
It is also the only timing cover I've ever seen that has the fins running up-and-down, instead of horizontal. The vertical fins were designed to stiffen the timing cover in that plane because the cover also doubled as a crank snout support, in that the cover was machined to accept a large car axle bearing pressed into the backside of the crank hole. A special hub with a small I.D. for the snout, and an O.D. machined to slip into the bearing was supplied with this cover.
The forwardmost engine had this cover on it, to help support the crank snout that was coupled to the rear engines flywheel.
I have the coupler and all the other stuff for this boat. Worst come to worst, I have a Moon cover,(which is what the rear engine always had), that I am going to modify, so it will all work and match.
Any how, talk it up with other gear heads, one should surface. A dragster with a blown small block Chevy would require one of these because the little Chevy crank snout is not strong enough to carry the strain of a big (6-71) blower. Thanks guys............. Spike

pancho
06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Spike i posted this thread on v-driveboat hopefully someone can help you out

Spike Morelli
06-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Pancho,
So, tell me what it's like to have a hot Stevens, a second boat for fishing and crusing around, and a lake in your back yard! Sounds like a slice of heaven to me !
Spike

pancho
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I`m loving it! the reality is right now the Stevens is half put together (new port stringer) and the other is just a clean old (1985) little fishing boat.Our lake isnt all that big so mostly idle around at night visiting and cast a line out once in a while,wife says its an excuse to drink beer with my buds on the lake:cheers:. That being said the only way i would sell would be to get another dirt and water set up with a shop not having a garage sucks big time. Recovering from knee surgery right now so kneeling in the flat aint gonna happen real soon and might be a winter project. Check out this link its got a bunch of pics from the Burley race this weekend.

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/showthread.php?t=444

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Pancho,
It sounds really calming, it's been a dream of mine to live on a river or lake, with a little cottage style house.
Last month, when we were up at Bass Lake with the Classic V-Drive Club, there was a bar-b-que at Larry Schwabenland's cabin,( he of Fuel Flatbottom and Fuel Hydro fame for Sanger Boats). I don't really know him well but my wife and I were invited because I'm friends with many other racers and boat people from the glory days of hot inboards.
Schwabenland's cabin is right on the water, shade trees, gardens, a nice dock with room for maybe three boats, a patio area on the shore that's raised above the water. the interior and exterior of this place was so comfortable and beconing .it's hard to adequately describe. Both my wife and I agreed that this is what we'd want too.
Add to that, hanging out with a small version of who's-who in boating. Harlan Orrin, Ted Phillips, Barry McCowan,Don Edwards,the owner of Lifeline Jackets, whose name isn't coming to me right now.sorry, and on and on. Lots of big names whom I'd never met, along with our wives, and it was a real nice time. I should have taken pictures.
Friends, food, boats, and living on the water, do I really have to go back to work in the city every day, damn.
Spike

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Leadsled, Pancho, and any Stevens owner!
Before I forget, if you're interested, I reproduce a number of things for the Stevens enthusiast. I have the Stevens factory decal(sticker)black and white with checkered flags that says "Stevens High Performance Boats', a small amount of Vance trailer model I.D. data plates, and the old N.D.B.A. round drag boat association stickers.
Hopefully, I'd like to make new die-cast chromed "Stevens" emblems that attach to the hull for restorers. When I restored that Hallett years ago, I was missing those emblems, so a friend lent me a donor to have a mold made, and I had two new perfect Hallett emblems made for that project. So, I have some experience in getting that emblem deal going.
Speaking of that, did you know that you can still get brand new Stevens High Performance Boats T-shirts, exactly like the factory sold in the sixties, from the ORIGINAL manufacturer? They're perfect!
I will be advertising them on the Stevens site as well, but you'll buy direct. The company is called Loporchio's Screening, and they made the t-shirts for Stevens , and many other boat companys. I can shoot you their phone # and address if youre interested.
There's lots of other neat stuff in the works too!
Spike

pancho
06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Sign me up on the shirt deal for sure:thumbsup: got the deck overlooking the water and its my favorite part of the house. Lucky you to go to a get together with such legends SoCal style how neat! Used to hang with circle guys in the NW and at night around the fire is when the stories would start and i could just listen for hours of all the hijinks and what not from days gone by.

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Pancho,
You can order t-shirts direct,
Loporchios Silkscreening
4136 Verdugo Road
Los Angeles, Cal. 90065
Ph: (323)258-6459

Here's a page out of the Stevens catalog (around 1970), showing the t-shirt. There's a mention of the stickers on the same page too.
Also, check out the 17' Skiier (for you and Leadsled). I can post any picture from the catalog(77 pages) of any model they made if you want to look at it.
Spike

LeadSledMerc
06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Pancho,
You can order t-shirts direct,
Loporchios Silkscreening
4136 Verdugo Road
Los Angeles, Cal. 90065
Ph: (323)258-6459

Here's a page out of the Stevens catalog (around 1970), showing the t-shirt. There's a mention of the stickers on the same page too.
Also, check out the 17' Skiier (for you and Leadsled). I can post any picture from the catalog(77 pages) of any model they made if you want to look at it.
Spike
Cool, I love the old catalogs. I don't know what's in it to ask for, so post away!:D

Here's a link to the Loporchios website, you can order on-line.
http://www.loporchios.com/main.htm
I just ordered mine, thanks for the leed, Spike.

I've been down to the lake every day the last couple of weekends...I'm lovin that Stevens!!:D:D
Keith

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Lead Sled,
Glad to be of help. It's all about helping each other, sharing info, and letting other Stevens boat owners know we're into it.
I am so envious of the amount of seat time you're getting in your boat, as my ski- boat is still in restoration, but look out when I'm done!
Post away? O.K., here's a few more interesting pages....
Spike

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
And a few more.............

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 07:21 PM
And these are nice......

Spike Morelli
06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
O.K., so I won't post the entire damn thing, but, there's lots more...

LeadSledMerc
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Excellant, Spike, thanks for posting.
It's always been car hot rod stuff hanging on the walls in my shop, but these will make a nice addition...they'll be hanging in the garage by tomorrow!

pancho
06-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the pics Spike. That Californian is beautiful and look at the ride attitude looks like a perfect set. Thanks for the heads up on the shirts keith and i will be looking good on the beach.

Spike Morelli
06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Pancho,
You guys are welcome. Those are nice t-shirts, suitable for all formal ocasions as well.........................
You mentioned the "Californian". I've known Tom Archibald's name name for years, because of the boat, but never met him. A couple of years ago, at a Classic V-Drive Club event, we run into each other and end up talking about his boat, his racing days, a new day cruiser he's building for himself, etc.
I asked him if he had any photos of the Californian boat that I might have, to post on the Stevens website, with a write-up on it.
He told me that he USED TO have all sorts of photos, trophys, articles from magazines, etc., but that he is divorced from the woman he was married to at that time, and during the divorce, she threw out, or got rid of all of his boat stuff!
Man, that's reason enough right there to justify being divorced from any woman in my book!!!!!!!!!!
About the boat though, If you look at the picture, you'll notice that the hull has exhaust trumpets coming out the transom. Tom probably didn't buy the boat to drag race originally, but capped the trumpets off internally when the blown Chrysler was built for it. Also, the boat has a very deluxe wood deck.
In the sixties, if you were building a custom hot inboard, you hadn't really gone all the way unless you had a wood deck. It was, and is, a majorly classy touch, even though on a race boat. Most drag racers today wouldn't even think of adding a wood deck because of the added weight, the same with metalflake, it adds weight and racers today opt for color in the gel coat only because even paint is a few pounds of unnecessary baggage to them.
But, a wood deck can be a blessing, depending on what kind of a set-up you have in your boat. If you have a hot ski boat, with the engine all the way in the back, it planes sort of tail heavy, but a wood deck's weight can balance out the engine bias to the rear. Tom Archibald's boat was a very short 16' with a big Hemi in back. The deck was unknowingly a smart addition to it's ride quality.
The "Mortician" that I'm restoring is the same story. It's got twice the engine weight of a normal boat, all pushed to the rear, but it set 5 world records and beat the best that would run against it. I'm convinced that the wood deck saved it from blowing it's nose over.
Rudy Ramos used to race marathons in his Rayson-Craft( he owned Rayson-Craft), and his boat had a wood deck . Between the weight of two extra large fuel tanks full of gas, and the deck, he balanced that boat and kept it on the water while racing over whitecaps.
Just something to think about...... Spike

Spike Morelli
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Well guys,
By now, you know I was posting on that "other" site for a while.
I guess I really thought they were really interested in v-drive boats, but I was sorely mistaken.
The lesson learned will help tremendously to guide the Stevens site.
I remain, as always, a true enthusiast of the genre, not just the Stevens make, but all of the hot inboards of the heyday. I hope to talk to you "real" guys soon. Spike

SnoC653
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Well guys,
By now, you know I was posting on that "other" site for a while.
I guess I really thought they were really interested in v-drive boats, but I was sorely mistaken.
The lesson learned will help tremendously to guide the Stevens site.
I remain, as always, a true enthusiast of the genre, not just the Stevens make, but all of the hot inboards of the heyday. I hope to talk to you "real" guys soon. Spike

I'm not sure what transpired on the other site that makes you think they are not intereseted in v-drive boats, but I can assure you that is as far from the truth as saying a man that walks on stage in an apron and boxers while a band is playing is not interested in music. You're knowlege on these boats is a welcome addition to any site you join, but I think you took something wrong somewhere. I watch a lot of sites and post on a few. The one thing I've learned is there is a lot of pride on these types of sites, both for personal knowlege and accomplishments as well as what some have come to own. I'd take what ever upset you with a grain of salt and just accept people will always be people no matter where they post. I know my 68 stevens is a long way from hitting the water, so I just sit back and learn as I read. Hope to see you around some of the other forums as well as this one. SnoC

Spike Morelli
08-25-2008, 02:39 AM
SnoC653,
Good to hear from you. Actually, your point is well taken, and I appreciate your candor with all sincerity. What you say, is true. People will always be who they are, and I certainly can't, nor will I attempt, to change anyone.
But, clearly, that other site was not the right place for me. I do know that I, and so many others that have contacted me, are not in the minority .
There's an overwhelming majority of interested inboard enthusiasts who are hungry for more information, maybe some history, and some guidance, from someone who would give a straight answer or point them in the right direction.
I'm more comfortable with that crowd. Spike

(Touche' on the apron comment, ah, show business...)

brad_man_72
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
hey spike hows the mortitian coming along?
does anyone know where a young guy could get one stevens badge for his 18' silouette?

Spike Morelli
08-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Hey brad,
The Mortition is coming along, albeit slowly, but, you do what you can do.....
I don't have any extra Stevens name plates, nor do i know of anyone who has any extra. However, I have always thought that there is a need out there for the Stevens, and other makes of out of production nameplates. I had to make new "Hallett" nameplates when I did a Hallett some years back, so I am aware of where to get them done. Maybe I should.....
Go on the internet and click on The Classic V-Drive Club of America. Contact Brian Lynch, and see if he will give you Steve McElroy's number. Steve may have some in a drawer somewhere. Steve has a lot of good new and used marine parts, and the price is right.
Best of luck with your boat project.
Always, Spike

brad_man_72
08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
thanks for the name dropping.

i wouldnt mind if you posted the whole cataloge, i found a COPY on e-bay but it was way out of my price range.
im like a sponge, anytime i get a new toy i try to learn as much about it as i can, i cant wait till you get your website up and running (put me in line for a sticker and a couple of t-shirts).
living in missouri i dont get a chance to go to boat shows that arrent filled with bass boats pontoons and jetskis, so the internet is about my only source of information inspiration and ideas.
i really like the spirit of your restorations (looks like you have been raiding moon's sticker bin), these boats are an awesome way to display/use old speed equipment.

Spike Morelli
08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Brad Man,
There's no need to buy a Catalog on E-Bay. I'm more than happy to help out . If you sent me a "Private Message" through this site, leave me a mailing address. I have the entire Stevens Catalog on a disc.
As long as you promise to send it back (I know, I need to make more copies...), I'll send it to you to download into your computer files. You'll always have it to look at. If you have a printer, you can kinda assemble a "catalog" of your own, or print out any favorite picture whenever you want!
A lot of people have expressed interest in this.
By the way, I dig your boat. The Edelbrock manifolds are fairly sought after pieces. I can't be sure of the design,from the picture, but it looks like you have a "swallow tail" style target. The "swallow tail" side spear design. or "target", as Stevens called it, was popular , but you don't see as much of that as other designs, which just makes your hull a bit special . Looks like you have an 18' Silhouette with a 'Vette for power.....neat! Does the boat have a name? Spike

brad_man_72
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
my boat does have the "swallow tail" target, but the metal flake paint doesnt look so great from less than 50ft, when i win the lottery i was planning on gold metalflake deck, black hull, gold flake target, and then naming the boat "fools gold". im planning on keeping it a clean ski boat, the interior needs redone and the engine could use some paint, i was planning on doing those this winter, but i planned on doing that last winter also. let the paint slide for a few years, everybody is going for that patina look right now anyways, lucky me!
i didnt know my manifolds were sought after, i would never assume a part for a sbc that a large company like edelbrock made would be rare, i love knowing stuff like that.
as far as i can tell the engine is a 63 300 horse 327, with the 7 fin vette valvecovers (has casting flaw, not repro), old edelbrock intake (breather tube) edelbrock front mounting plate, chrome generator, old dual point distributor, flame arrestor that i have only seen in the "hot rod" august 66? 'boat' issue.

Spike Morelli
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Brad,
I've not done this personally, but the boat shops tell me many times you can bring an old faded metalflake finish back, by having a colored see-thru "toner" shot over it to bring the color back to the metalflake, then giving it a nice clear coat over that. Say, if your flake was gold, you shoot a translucent gold tone over it then clear coat. Today's clear coats can even be had with UV blockers added, and the polyurethanes are real durable . Sure beats the cost of a total re-paint or re-flake.
By the way, the Mortician is black, with a gold metalflake target, and has two '63 327s out of Corvettes, like what you're talking about but with another engine.
Spike

Spike Morelli
08-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Brad,
Here's the two pages out of the catalog that show the standard Stevens "targets", yours is #7........................ Spike

brad_man_72
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
dont talk me out of changing my boats color$, lol. that brown and gold flake just arrent cutting it together. i was thinking about getting out the buffer this weekend and seeing what i can do about the finish.

looks like my swallow tail isnt as "deep" as the one pictured.

i noticed that the fiberglass decked boats the deck mounts above the hull, and the wood decked boats the deck is mounted below the hull. so if i pull up my fiberglass deck will i find some nice hardwood floors?

Spike Morelli
08-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Brad,
No, you won't find a wood deck under your 'glass deck. The Silhouette models have a deck that is set down onto the hull after the hull is molded. It sits about 3 or 4 inches in from the edge all around, and is glassed on from underneath. There is plywood reinforcement, and some wood stringers glassed under the deck, but the deck is all fibreglass.
You are correct, most wood decks do have a raised edge.
I have a '63 model 17' SK Skiier that also is made with the raised edge, but that deck cap is also part of the top of the hull, and required painting around the edge, or, "picture frame", as some people call it, from the top edge of the target , up and over the edge on top.
It's just the different way Stevens did the Skiiers, verses the Silhouette models.
I noticed in your pictures that you also have a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive. Those were very popular too. Nice truck as well!
Spike

Spike Morelli
09-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Hello all.....
It looks as though It's finally here, a book that many of us have either been waiting for, or at very least, interested in reading.
"Drag Boats of the Sixties", a new book written by Don Edwards(blown gas hydro record holder in Golden Komotion), Barry McCowan(blown fuel hydro record holder in Banzai), and APBA Historic writer and enthusiast Bob Silva.........have worked hard on a first of it's kind book of pictorial history presenting many of the people and their wonderfull, colorfull drag boats, from the sixties.
This book is a MUST READ for anyone who likes hot inboards, or calls himself a boat freak.
It can be ordered through Amazon.com, or at your local book emporium, or through Motorbooks, in Burbank, Calif.
There is going to be a book signing event at the Autobooks/Aerobooks store,(in Burbank) on Saturday, October 4th, where a handfull of dragboat racers from the sixties will be there to sign your book, and display many of the built- to- boogie 60's drag boats, that are still with us. They may even light a few off......................
Anyway, if you're in the area, make the scene, but check out this book whatever you do!
Spike

harlanorrin
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello Spike.
E-Mail me the directions to the book signing. I may be able to bring my new '58 Mandella. It would be nice to bring Rozzie Bartons '55 Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat. Rozzie was from Burbank.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Harlan!,
Give me a few days to get the directions to you. I live in the Valley, so I know how to get there, having been there before, but I can't tell you the street by street directions off the top of my head, but I will get them for you.
I know people would dig those Mandellas, as well as meeting you too!
By the way, I'm still waiting on a price from the guy who has the Flathead Ford engine for you............................
Spike

Spike Morelli
09-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Harlan,
I gave the incorrect name of the bookstore that is hosting the book signing. I originally said it was "Motorbooks", but, the correct name of the store in Burbank, is "Autobooks/Aerobooks".
If you Google that name, you will get their website, and, if you click on the words "contact info", you will find their phone number, address, and a Mapquest map of the local area. You can get street by street directions by going to Mapquest yourself, and typing in the address you are starting from, and the store's address. Mapquest will give you a directions map that you can then print out. See you there! Spike

harlanorrin
09-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanx!!! See You There
Harlan

LeadSledMerc
09-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Autobooks is an excellant place. I visited them when I came out foe the Roadster Show last year and couldn't pull myself away without buying a bunch of great books. I should have had them shipped, but ended up luggin them home on the plane. You guys on the left coast have it all, right down to great book storesthat have events!

brad_man_72
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
got my stevens t-shirt in the mail yesterday very BA!
allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.......

monsoonlady
09-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I came across your thread while searching for Mack and Mary Stevens. My mother worked for them as their office manager the entire time they were in business in Gardena, CA. I have so many fond memories of running around the boat building shop and checking out the beautiful paint jobs on the boats. I specifically remember a lot of the boats having the beautiful metal flake paint jobs that was popular in the 60's.

When Stevens Boats closed down, Mack & Mary retired to Lake Havasu City, AZ. As my mom aged, she lost touch with the Stevens family. I am now living in Lake Havsu and was trying to find out if they were still alive. After putting their names in google, there is a reunion site that says that they live in Kingman, AZ. Mack is 90 and Mary is 85yrs old. I may try to contact them.

LeadSledMerc
09-27-2008, 06:26 PM
monsoonlady, that is a cool story...good luck with your search and be sure to let us know how you make out.

Spike Morelli
09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Monsoonlady,
I loved your private e-mail, and, absolutely, the sixties meant wood decks and metalflake and beautiful paint jobs.
Many times, I find someone who has taken a sixties inboard, and "modernized' it. Some are done nice, some aren't, but to each their own................................
My feelings are that "modernizing" a sixties hot inboard is like putting a mini-skirt on grandma,..........it just doesn't seem to have the "class" it once had.
As I wrote to you, if you can make inroads towards contacting Mack and Mary, I would be so appreciative. We could finally get the website flying!
Best of everything, Spike

racered
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Hello all,I have owned and enjoyed my Stevens since 1978,and soon will begin the project of replacing the stringers.Through the years I have replaced the interior twice,painted the hull once (imron 1982), reworked the motor,wiring,steering cables,V-drive and trailer once. The boat was used for skiing,exploring,star gazing and an occasional blast at speed:smiletest:.Three years ago I loaned it to a friend:confused: and yea,it came home broken:(.While cleaning up the boat I discovered the fiberglass that surrounds the stringers was cracked,compressed,buckled,just ahead of the forward engine mounting plate on one stringer,and just ahead of the V-drive mount on the other stringer,as though the hull "hindged"at these points. I believe the wood rotted where the bolt holes for the mounts are,and with years of flexing and a weekend of disrespect the inevitable occurred.So here I am,I have 25+years of collision/frame repair,basic fiberglass skills,and a shop.I can read,and I prefer to have a source(book) of current techniques and materials before I attempt the repair.Does "The Book" exist? About the boat:17'2",396 chevy,casalle V-drive,Hall Craft/Nicson steering,Edelbrock wet log exhaust manifolds,Edelbrock motor mount plates,Jabsco water pump.I don't know the year or model of the hull but as memory serves the original color was gold metalflake with white border,swooping stripes that turned down at the rear,Vance trailer.All input is welcome,Thanks...Paul

LeadSledMerc
10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Hello all,I have owned and enjoyed my Stevens since 1978,and soon will begin the project of replacing the stringers.Through the years I have replaced the interior twice,painted the hull once (imron 1982), reworked the motor,wiring,steering cables,V-drive and trailer once. The boat was used for skiing,exploring,star gazing and an occasional blast at speed:smiletest:.Three years ago I loaned it to a friend:confused: and yea,it came home broken:(.While cleaning up the boat I discovered the fiberglass that surrounds the stringers was cracked,compressed,buckled,just ahead of the forward engine mounting plate on one stringer,and just ahead of the V-drive mount on the other stringer,as though the hull "hindged"at these points. I believe the wood rotted where the bolt holes for the mounts are,and with years of flexing and a weekend of disrespect the inevitable occurred.So here I am,I have 25+years of collision/frame repair,basic fiberglass skills,and a shop.I can read,and I prefer to have a source(book) of current techniques and materials before I attempt the repair.Does "The Book" exist? About the boat:17'2",396 chevy,casalle V-drive,Hall Craft/Nicson steering,Edelbrock wet log exhaust manifolds,Edelbrock motor mount plates,Jabsco water pump.I don't know the year or model of the hull but as memory serves the original color was gold metalflake with white border,swooping stripes that turned down at the rear,Vance trailer.All input is welcome,Thanks...Paul
Hey Paul,
Let me be the first to welcome you. It sounds like a cool boat you have there and a big project coming up. If anyone can help you, it's the guys on here with all their experience.
Now get some pictures of that Stevens up here for us!:D
Keith

racered
10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey,Thanks Kieth. I'm about to pull the motor and interior components to get started. I will have to scan old pics or purchase a digital cam for "new pics" to post,with assistance from one of my children.I have tried posting a pic before w/o success,could be a dialup issue.I want to correct how I described the color scheme of the hull,I think it was gold metalflake base with white stripes on the deck and sides.The boat was painted red when I bought it in 1978.I stripped it in 1982 and repainted it red.I used Corlar epoxy primer and Imron topcoat,new products at the time.The color is just now showing age,adhesion is still strong.I am thinking of using the original stripe pattern for the next finish.Paul

LeadSledMerc
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey,Thanks Kieth. I'm about to pull the motor and interior components to get started. I will have to scan old pics or purchase a digital cam for "new pics" to post,with assistance from one of my children.I have tried posting a pic before w/o success,could be a dialup issue.I want to correct how I described the color scheme of the hull,I think it was gold metalflake base with white stripes on the deck and sides.The boat was painted red when I bought it in 1978.I stripped it in 1982 and repainted it red.I used Corlar epoxy primer and Imron topcoat,new products at the time.The color is just now showing age,adhesion is still strong.I am thinking of using the original stripe pattern for the next finish.Paul
Hey Paul, There's a couple of things you'll need to do right away...buy that digital camera and get yourself a decent internet cable hook-up. Your going to need it to capture all of your project and share the progress with us!:D
Good luck and have fun with it, but get some pics up here!!:D
Keith

Spike Morelli
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Racered,
Here's a few leads to help out with your project with those delaminating stringers:
There's a company called "Sher-Fab Unlimited Inc.", here in California, in Norwalk. Ph: 562-921-5206 Fax:562-926-5658
E-mail address: sfu@sherfab.com Website: www.sherfab.com (http://www.sherfab.com)
They are a supplier of fibreglass materials and supplies. Their website advertises helpfull hints, and they say they can find whatever you're looking for, they may be able to answere your questions, or point you towards someone who can.

Next, there's Fibreglass Repairs Unlimited Inc., in Clovis, California. Phone:559-299-8826 These guys do everything, i'm told, and can possibly be of help too.

Now, I'm also friends with Harlan Orrin, who has done it all, from designing many boat manufacturer's molds, to building complete boats, to building wonderfull wood decks, and on and on. His number is 760-723-0767

Also, there's Custom Boat Restorations, by John Miller
Wood and fibreglass repair, wood decks, complete restorations
Ph: 805-431-2234 www.johnmillerboats.com (http://www.johnmillerboats.com)
And,
Miller Custom Boats
Jim Miller Ph:805-934-3938 again, they can do it all...
I don't know if there's a "book", per se, on stringer repair, (maybe sher-fab), but there's some knowlegeable information here.

Hope this helps, Spike

Spike Morelli
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Racered,
I've posted this elsewhere before, but here are the Stevens "factory" target designs, if you're interested in what your factory stripe is supposed to look like. Spike

racered
10-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Spike,I will check out the sources for info and materials,the factory pictures will help also.I will take pictures tomorrow but this is what I have found so far,with one stringer removed,cut off at the bottom, there is a layer of plywood that is visable in the channel where the stringer was.The layer of glass above the ply has lifted slightly from the ply.It looks like I will remove the layer above the ply,approx 5"wide on each side of the stringer,the length of the stringer.I don't know if this layer is original or if new stringers were glassed in before.I dont believe the surface of the floor is original,it does not look it! My next question is how far the stringer extends past the forward bulkhead? There is expanded foam up there,I would think the stringer would stop just past the bulkhead...I cut the old one a foot or so before the bulkhead,pictures soon!!Thanks Guys!:thumbsup:

LeadSledMerc
10-10-2008, 07:58 PM
...pictures soon!!Thanks Guys!:thumbsup:

Come on, Paul...we're still waiting for before pictures, now we're waiting for progress pics!!:D

Good luck with the project!

Spike Morelli
10-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Paul,
I just went out to the garage to crawl under the deck of my 18' Stevens Silhouette. The stringers on my boat continue forward past the toeboard approximately two feet. There are two more boards (thinner, and maybe 3' long) that are glassed to the stringers at the front, that continue forward up towards the nose, as well as two other thin boards outboard of those on either side, going forward of the toeboard too. And, there is a board running right down the center of the keel line that is contoured to the bows arc, that goes from the toeboard up just past the bow eye. The bow eye is bolted through this board as a reinforcement.
The main stringers, going from the transom forward, are contoured to the boat's bottom. The top of the stringer is straight across, end to end, however, the bottom side is cut to fit the "rocker' of the bottom's shape.
I have an article from the old Hot Boat Magazine from 1967, that shows how Stevens built their hulls. After the gel coat color or metalflake is shot into the mold, the hull gets laid-up, transom wood gets glassed in first. The next shot shows the stringers in place already, with a worker placing fibreglass mat in place, cut to fit, between the stringers and the side walls of the hull, about to be glassed. It is unclear as to whether the plywood pieces have been installed in place outboard of the stringers under the mat,(I think they are) or what lay up has been finished in the floor, but I believe the floor is fairly intact prior to stringers going down and stringer replacement is not uncommon, so I'd go with removing the stringers as intact as you can,(to use as templates for the bottom arc), and "potting" them to the floor, then glassing over them appx 5" to 6" on each side . Hope this is helpful.
Spike

racered
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
156388 Update... I found these pics in an old album,brought back some memories. Note moulding around the split line.I have the corner pieces but the stainless (maybe alum?) is gone.Today I cut the upper glass layer 4" on each side of the stringer from the toe board to 6"from the transom.The plywood layer ends with a taper before reaching the transom.I had to saw through some expanded urethane ahead of the toe board to see that the stringer ends 6"to10"ahead of the toe board,as the taper of the bottom rises and the end of the stinger looks about 4" tall.I can't tell what is ahead of that as the expanded foam fills the entire front area top to bottom,side to side.The plywood is wet and rotted to some degree.It looks like more (all) of the glass layer above the ply will need to come up so the ply can dry,or be removed /replaced.The glass layer beyond what I removed is still adhered to the ply, but the ply is wet and I dont know if it can dry out. More pics to come,...Spike..thanks for crawling under your dash and helping me out with info!! That article sounds usefull. Oh and your boat is beautill:thumbsup:

racered
10-12-2008, 11:13 PM

156397 :)

Spike Morelli
10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Paul!,
If only you could have seen the look on my face when I saw your photos. What you have here,.....is a fairly rare Stevens model. It's a 17' Sportster model. The real unusual gunwales around the passenger compartment is unique only to this model, and is what gave it away. The dashboard is differently shaped than other Stevens models as well.
You may find filled holes under the deck where a windshield (really) might have been. This model also came with a fibreglass engine cover. I'm not sure if every Sportster sold had additional floorboards installed as well, but there's a good chance yours did.
Save the corner mouldings for the trim, most boat manufacturers still use the stainless or aluminum seam trim on one boat or another, so you can reinstall it later if you like, or fill the holes and paint over it.
I must say, wow, Your's is the first Sportster model I've ever seen, outside of the Catalog. Check out the page......
Spike

racered
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Spike!!,Wow!!Thanks for the model ID,...Sportster...I like it!!Here are the new pics.The ply is drying with help from a fan.I believe I will end up replacing most of the ply if only for appearance.I will cut more of the glass layer off and see what I find.Looking at a cross section of the glass reveals the original glass with two additional layers of cloth and a thick layer of resin poured on top,thus cracking up with age.The cracks do not extend into the original layers of cloth/resin.So I'm back to it,I really do appreciate your input.Paul156445

LeadSledMerc
10-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Paul, I't looks like you've taken the plunge. Are you going to replace both stringers?
You'll find that Spike along with a lot of others on here have a lot of great info to share.

Here's a link to a real nice '65 Stevens that's for sale on ebay right now.:cool::D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130261473708

racered
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM

156465A few more..

Spike Morelli
10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
It looks like you're getting serious about this stringer business!
Make sure you call those connections that I passed along to you. I'm sure they'll get you finished up.
Something they taught us in Composites class in Aircraft School, the strength is in the cloth, not the resin. The resin is the bonding agent to wet out and adhere the cloth. As you 'glass the stringers in, wet out the cloth enough, but not too much, just enough, when you laminate the 'glass layers.
Pooling resin is why the gunwales get stress cracks, they're moulded upside-down in the mold and the resin has run down to the bottom of the trough. ( The top of the gunwales when the hull is rightside-up). It's the resin that cracks, not the cloth.
Moder tecniques often now use "vacuum bagging" to squeegee out a precise amount of resin evenly across the cloth, resulting in a VERY light and strong composite.
Once you're done 'glassing in the stringers, the last clear coat is just for looks, and is a thin gloss coat.
Now, go take a shower for an hour and a half and try to scrub those itchies off....... Spike

LeadSledMerc
10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Paul, I't looks like you've taken the plunge. Are you going to replace both stringers?
You'll find that Spike along with a lot of others on here have a lot of great info to share.

Here's a link to a real nice '65 Stevens that's for sale on ebay right now.:cool::D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130261473708

Check the ebay link for details, but...

I've lowered my asking price for this boat to $12,000 for anyone interested.

The boat really has to go, so make me a reasonable offer!

LeadSledMerc
10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
My '65 Stevens is going off on ebay tonight with a low reserve...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130261473708 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130261473708)

Check the ebay link for details, but...

I've lowered my asking price for this boat to $12,000 for anyone interested.

The boat really has to go, so make me a reasonable offer!

LeadSledMerc
10-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I hate to keep hounding you guys, but I'd love to see this boat go to one of you guys that would really appreciate it.

I've slashed the price and also relisted it on ebay.
It's got to go...make me an offer.

Here's a link to the add for the description and pics.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130263698061&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Spike Morelli
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
John Miller recently let me look through some of his souvenir programs from the NDBA annual National Championship Boat Drag races, '63 thru '68. The pictures and ads are really cool.
Now, I've been to Ski-land (when I was a lil' kid), and I've seen lots of pictures of, and from, Ski-Land, and i just recently had a great realization.
I called Don Edwards, (one of the guys who raced there), and asked him about the launch ramp being on the opposite side of the lake from the starting line, How'd that work?
Back then, apparently, the entire class (unblown gas flat, blown fuel hydro, etc.), would all put their boats in the water at one time, and each class as called would drive, (yes, DRIVE), appx 3/4 of a mile to a mile around the backside of the "L" shaped lake, in pairs of two, making the final turn at the North point before squaring off with the starting flag man, or lights, and THEN, racing the timed quarter mile, finishing off with driving back to the launch ramp.
I guess I never thought about this before.
These dragsters actually drove, and had to carry the extra fuel to accomodate the trek. Also, unlike many boats today, these drag boats all had water cooled production engines. I'd think a dry block would overheat today if you tried doing it the way they used to.
Don told me he personally liked the drive time, as it gave the engines time to warm up, and an opportunity to psyche-out your opponent. The race started from a slow run, planing, as opposed to today, where you start an engine that's sitting, not running, and immediately nail it.
I know this sounds kinda naive, but it makes me appreciate even more the sixties drag boats for the fact that they were functional AND fast.
Here's to all those special people and their wonderfull machines.
Spike

61SCHIADA
10-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Spike,
I was wondering if you still had that Stevens for sale, I would like to restore a Stevens,with the metal flake deck. Maybe a family project with my nephew and brothers.
Did Stevens ever put the 348 in their boats?
Looking forward to Bass Lake, and every boat gathering I can go to.
My Schiada is completed after 7 years,it was sure worth the wait !
I have this thing for red metal flake, when I was a kid and played Pop Warner football, the coaches painted our helmets this bright red metal flake, I waxed the hell out of it, after the end of the season, it was all chipped off !.

Take Care, David Barton P.S. LeadSled`s Stevens use to belong to my older brother, and Joe Reath rebuilt that 354 Hemi for him.

LeadSledMerc
10-29-2008, 06:39 AM
My Schiada is completed after 7 years,it was sure worth the wait !

Take Care, David Barton P.S. LeadSled`s Stevens use to belong to my older brother, and Joe Reath rebuilt that 354 Hemi for him.
David,
Congrats on getting your Schiada completed, it must feel great!
Did you post any pictures of it done yet? We'd love to see some!
Good luck with it and have fun!:cool:
Now on to a Stevens eh???:thumbsup:
Keith

61SCHIADA
10-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Keith,
I would like to have a Stevens with a brite red metal flake deck. another toy to keep the stress levels down, If I could my brother and I would like to buy your boat, but right now is not a good time. I`ll have John post some pictures, I`m going to write a story about the boat and submit it to the boating mags.
That is a very fair price for your boat, you do very good work. I hope you get your price soon. David

Spike Morelli
10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey David,
I sent you a private message last night, did you receive it?
My computer says one of my e-mails failed to get sent, hope it wasn't the one to you. Let me know,sir.
Spike

Spike Morelli
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey David,
I'm going to assume that you didn't get my private message, since you haven't responded.
To answer your question, yes, the 17' Stevens is still available, and it IS red metalflake and white, no engine or seats.
You know, we don't live too far from each other. Some time when you can, we should get together, yap a while, check out projects, or whatever. I would really dig seeing your Schiada all finished. As of a year ago, Lee, at Schiada, still had the mold for their old flatbottom!
Hit it! Spike

pancho
11-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Spike and any other Stevens fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rofEXvRQUro&feature=related

LeadSledMerc
11-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey Spike and any other Stevens fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rofEXvRQUro&feature=related

Hey, Kenny...????

pancho
11-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Vid seems to have disappeared?
Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpvksI59_c

LeadSledMerc
11-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Vid seems to have disappeared?
Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpvksI59_c
I remember watching that one on epay...$40K to start if I remember!
It's a nice looking boat if you like wood decks and a Nailhead!;)

David"Skywalker"Carver
11-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey guys talking about Stevens Flatbottoms, I bought a FRAHS 17' FB in 1974 from Terry Frahs in Jax. Fla.Hull#28. I raced it in SK class,super badd machine!! 125mph with hard left hand turns,10 wide... Still got it with very wild BBC destroker "Hank The Crank motor". Terry told me he had worked at Stevens boats. I'm pretty sure he said he bought their mold,and modified it to become the Frahs Design.

pancho
11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I remember watching that one on epay...$40K to start if I remember!
It's a nice looking boat if you like wood decks and a Nailhead!;)
Can you believe some peeps an old crappy boat with a nailhead makes you wonder if they have any friends,kinda feel bad for em!

pancho
11-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey guys talking about Stevens Flatbottoms, I bought a FRAHS 17' FB in 1974 from Terry Frahs in Jax. Fla.Hull#28. I raced it in SK class,super badd machine!! 125mph with hard left hand turns,10 wide... Still got it with very wild BBC destroker "Hank The Crank motor". Terry told me he had worked at Stevens boats. I'm pretty sure he said he bought their mold,and modified it to become the Frahs Design.
WOW .......welcome to the party
74 and you still have it that is really cool. I know nothing about the molds but a member here (Spike) has a ton of info on the Stevens. Last i heard the frahs molds were here in New England. Post up pics of then and now.
I had a 70 El Camino with a 454 (not stock) back in 86 and the guy i bought it from listed a crank by (Hank the Crank),that has always stuck in my mind.

Spike Morelli
11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi David,
You know, I heard that, about the Frahs hull being related to the Stevens hull design. I don't remember who told me that, or where I might have heard it. Possibly someone on the internet talking about it.
Powerboat Magazine, in February of '74 when Bob Nordskog was involved with it, did a performance test on a Frahs flatbottom, tunnel-rammed 454 Chevy with O.T.'s,(429 Ford or 426 Chrysler optional). I still have the magazine with the article. The boat in the article was an 17' hull too. Nice boat.
If memory serves, the Frahs hull did have a seam running down the center of the hull's bottom from the two-piece mold, and a deck that glassed on to the bottom , in the same fashion as Stevens did their hulls.
I wonder, though, about Terry Frahs having bought a mold from Mack and Mary Stevens, only in that Stevens Boats was still building boats past 1974. You wouldn't think Stevens would sell off a perfectly good mold, unless, (you say your hull is 17' long), maybe the bulk of Stevens' customers wanted the 18' model, and Stevens stopped offering the 17' models. (?)
Anyone out there own a 17' Stevens later than '74?
I don't have my records in order yet as to correct years of build for each Stevens model, so I can't say.
David, if you have a good photo of your Frahs, you should post a picture. They were a good looking boat, and many people have never heard of, or seen one.

harlanorrin
11-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Speed gets faster with time. The S K Kilo record in 1974 was 120. The competition record was 111 in 1973.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
11-19-2008, 11:46 PM
David,
Just curious, I know that the cubic inch limit for SK class racing up through the mid-sixties was 400 c.i.. What was the cubic inch limit in '74, that mandated you to destroke the 454? Did your hull come with skid fins on the cav plate? V-drive under the dash?
I've always been a fan of the SK boats. You used to see people water ski with 'em at Parker (Colorado River) in the sixties. I used to own (and restored), a '67 Hallett SK racer (SK 85 "Wild Cherry"), that was fun. It originally had a 427 Ford destroked to appx 396.

Spike Morelli
11-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Harlan,
Do you know when the cubic inch limit changed, and to what?

harlanorrin
11-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Hello Spike
I do not know when the displacement was changed, or when the class was eliminated. The class speed records are listed by Bob Foley on the VINTAGE HYDROPLANES web site.
Harlan Orrin

David"Skywalker"Carver
11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Well Guys, Where do I start?? I was 21 when i got this boat!!! WOW,long time ago.The Frahs is 17'4" The sides are lower than a Stevens, it was a split mold, it has a 6 degree 95" prop shaft, V-drive under dash 18%,it has the optional skid fins on the cav. plate, Which by the way,all the fins are BENT to the left, imagine why...The motor had 392 cid when new, @ 3.35"strokeX .060"over to meet 400" rules. Later when rules changed to 405 about 1978?, I bored to .125"=404cid.I raced 1975-1979, And out ran the guy that set the SK record, a Lavey Craft from NJ named Sweet Caroline at Lake Wheeler,NC..Actually got a nice compliment from the driver.It really would run 125 on a good day. In 1980 A match race was planned here between Mr. Reggie Fountain and me for our Summer festival.OB Merc.Tunnel V/S Flatbottom . I knew those Mercs could ruin my day, so I called Marvin Miller and had 400 HP direct port N20 system installed.WOW!! Could not believe it. The thing ran 20 mph faster! But only for a short time:nonod: It was'nt Pretty. O'well It was funn,Plan to get motor and hull together again one day, and get another Blast From The Past.:thumbsup:

pancho
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Cool story but once again pictures are required. When was the last time the boat ran?.........I`m a west coast transplant and last fall after a grueling 3 month run on the Bering Sea flew home and told my girl lets get in the truck and road trip somewhere, she came up with N. Carolina so i said how far and she said probably 10 hours ended up being 19 hours but worth every minute got a beautiful state there especially the Outer Banks. Little late to the game but from what i`ve read there used to be some good racing down there.

David"Skywalker"Carver
11-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Last ride 1980....Do not have any thing but old paper pics. Maybe can get scanned to show here.

pancho
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Last ride 1980....Do not have any thing but old paper pics. Maybe can get scanned to show here.
Do the scans and dig out the boat the ride will take off 20 years

Spike Morelli
11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
David,
The guy with the boat "Sweet Caroline", was (is?) Jack Kiely, of Long Branch, New Jersey according to my records. "Sweet Caroline" was powered by a 396 inch Chevy, and was SK-671.
Jack Kiely also owned another very hot SK called "Yankee Steeler", which was driven by Mario Squillace, and was SK-67.
On Thanksgiving Day weekend, in 1973, at the Parker Kilo speed trials, Gordon Jennings drove Kiely's "Sweet Caroline" to a new kilo record, clocking 114.39 with the Weber-carbed 396.
Just a bit of history on Kiely's SK's.

harlanorrin
11-21-2008, 12:35 AM
There is a Lavey Craft "C" model boat racing in Wa. vintage as SWEET CAROLINE. I believe it is an original race boat. I do not know any history on the boat.
Harlan Orrin

David"Skywalker"Carver
11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Yea Man! Kiely & Mario were THE competition in the 70's.Carl Gardella was the Engine guru for those boats,from Indy Fame. Mario was the best driver on the 1&2/3mile circle, But, My Frahs was faster on the straights. Mario is the man who complimented me, and asked Where did you get That mota from?? That thing really turns up! The HTC motor was so short stroked that it turned around 92/9400 rpm's with 18% OD,11 1/2 x 14 1/2 Stellings X lift two bladed prop.However it was a dog below 7000.Other racers then were super bad, Duff Daily-O'Mona from Miami,Nutmegger from NJ,Bankwalker-Bobby Murray NC,Fred Sutton&John Harvey-Loreli NC.Julian Pettingill of Bisemeyer boats was an incredible driver in his Flatbottoms.Gordon Jennings even raced over here some. He was the Man Too! I have good memories from these times,and the more recent ODBA Unlimited Outboard drag racing with Skywalker, my rocket ship STV on Nitrous.The next excitement will be finishing my new PUGH Hydro With Major Nitrous Merc power on the 1/4mile, can't hardly wait.................

David"Skywalker"Carver
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM
:cheers:O' Forgot The old Frahs number was SK-33. still on it. Will try to get pics.next week,see y'all, thanks.........

brad_man_72
11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
great story, but im goin crazy over here, THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS !!!!!!!!

Spike Morelli
11-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Just because I've always liked them, I've compiled a listing of SK's as I find info on them. It's not totally complete, but what's there is interesting.
Duff Dailey drove his incredible "Oh Mona!", SK-999, and I have it down as a Rayson-Craft with a 426 Hemi Chrysler.(destroked?)
I have Julian Pettengil with "Angel Fire", SK-295, a Biesmeyer with a 396 Chevy
I also show SK-33, "Golden Comode III", Jay Gotfredson, of San Marino. This is likely an earlier boat than yours, David, and carried the number prior to you.
Being a fan of Stevens boats, I'd love to build a replica of "Half Gast Too", SK-45, which was powered by an Edelbrock 392 Chrysler, and dry-sumped, driven by Don Towle and was a record holder around '62-'63. Don had many Stevens hulls, I believe they're all gone, but the engine from the boat is on display in Edelbrock's museum.
Anyone else out there got an "SK" ?

cbgann
11-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Spike, In response to your post #175. I sold a few Stevens SK's as Connecticut SK Boat Sales and then moved to Florida in 1968 as Florida SK Boat Sales. Terry worked out a Royalty deal with Mack and Mary and was building the split mold 17' which he originally raced in Miami. My boats would be shipped to Jacksonville and I would pick them up from Terry.
Not sure exactly when he launched the Frah's 17 but I think it was just before Mack checked out. Keep up the good work. Bill

harlanorrin
11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I built a wood Mandella owned by Jack Williams, driven by Bob Ellis. Bob won 12 heats in a row in 1958. Jack ran a Keith Black 392 Chrysler. The name was GOLDEN COMMODE III, S K 33. Ed Olsen drove over the boat at the nationals in the Chicago area.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
11-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi Harlan,
This compilation list that I've put together, is from articles in magazines and newspapers here and there . Admittedly, there may be errors.
I'm going to change my info to list "Golden Comode III" as being owned by Jack Williams, and add that it was a Mandella. Perhaps, Jay Gotfredson was a driver for Jack? Perhaps I read something wrong.
Thanks for the correction on SK-33. Those out there interested in SK's take note!
Harlan, don't you think it's interesting that at the various boat events, you can find modern K. SS, style boats, even sixties vintage drag racers, but rarely run across an older SK. They were such a popular class of racing boat.

harlanorrin
11-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Hello Spike
More S K Racers

current vintage racers
Boyd-Robin Schnell S K 87 Lavey Craft-glass 396 Chevrolet
Late '50s
Tony Maricich S K 57 Wood Wickens kit 392 Chrysler
Leroy Penhall S K 88 Wood Patterson 392 Chrysler

Harlan Orrin
I will check some vintage programs

Spike Morelli
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Harlan,
I also have Tony Maricich in SK-57, "Suddenly", running a 396 Chevy. It is said that Tony received the first Edelbrock dual quad cross-ram manifold, that Edelbrock sold, for the new big block 396 back when.
SK-57 did extremely well, hull, engine, and driver being a good combination.
I believe Tony Maricich eventually went on to driving Super Stock class as well, driving SS-57 "Suddenly Too", but I don't have any information as to the hull or engine of his SS boat. Spike

harlanorrin
12-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Harlan,
I also have Tony Maricich in SK-57, "Suddenly", running a 396 Chevy. It is said that Tony received the first Edelbrock dual quad cross-ram manifold, that Edelbrock sold, for the new big block 396 back when.
SK-57 did extremely well, hull, engine, and driver being a good combination.
I believe Tony Maricich eventually went on to driving Super Stock class as well, driving SS-57 "Suddenly Too", but I don't have any information as to the hull or engine of his SS boat. Spike

I do not remember Tony running a Chev. I will try to find pics of Tony running a S S boat. Did you get my e mail program?
Harlaan Orrin

Spike Morelli
12-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Harlan,
Yes, thank you very much, I did get the e-mail with the SK Program containing the boat listings. It was very cool, I had most of those boats accounted for, however, there were a few I didn't have.
Bob Silva sent me a copy of a similar but different program a while back that had mention of many of those boats.
I really do love those old SK racers. It makes me want to paint an "SK" number on the side of my 18' Stevens flatbottom just to remind people about the class. My number was SK-85, which was my daughter's birthday, August 5th, ( 8/5 ).
Spike

harlanorrin
12-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi Harlan,
Yes, thank you very much, I did get the e-mail with the SK Program containing the boat listings. It was very cool, I had most of those boats accounted for, however, there were a few I didn't have.
Bob Silva sent me a copy of a similar but different program a while back that had mention of many of those boats.
I really do love those old SK racers. It makes me want to paint an "SK" number on the side of my 18' Stevens flatbottom just to remind people about the class. My number was SK-85, which was my daughter's birthday, August 5th, ( 8/5 ).
Spike

Why not. There are a lot of engines available, Chev, Ford, Chrysler, Pontiac, and Buick.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
12-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Well,
I had to venture over in the rain to Giroux Boats, to pick up an old Moon aluminum air scoop that Pete had welded for me today.
Pete's shop is a fun place. The reception area is full of automotive and boating memorabilia and parts...there's a newly laced pair of wire dragster front wheels next to a really nice "T"- tank for a drag boat, showcases full of marine parts, and all sorts of gearhead stuff, just waiting for someone's next project.
But, what was out in the shop was really cool. They were stripping a Campbell hull, getting it ready to re-do the wood. There was a newly finished Rayson-Craft hull, resplendant with it's fresh restored wood deck and yellow hull, and it's getting it's 392 re-built to new.
Over there, was a Poty hulled circle race flatbottom, wood deck again, and sporting a hot small block Chevy with dry stacks and four 48 IDA Webers.
On hold, was a Buick Nailhead engine for another customer's boat wearing a vintage nice set of Hilborn Injectors, and a Joe Hunt Mag with the fuel pump drive as part of the base.
Pete talked about a Stevens flatbottom that's in the works, that has a 394 Olds with six strombergs.And, Pete says he's busy, real busy.
Haven't I been saying it? This classic hot-rodded inboard stuff has come back STRONG. Wood hulls, and even stronger wood DECKS are back.
All of the classic hull manufacturers are being sought after, not just the 2 or 3 makes that ended up as drag-race only hulls.
The big block Chevy engine is not the first choice anymore,( unless it's a 427)
Metalflake is back, "Targets" are back, as opposed to 13 colors of candy with "ZZ Top" graphics. Billett? Bye-Bye.
If you're really into boats, hot inboards, it's a win/win situation. Just like street rods have turned back to the traditional styled hot rod, hot boats have now returned to what we all knew was cool for a very long time now..................... Spike

harlanorrin
12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Pete's place is a lot of fun. He has done the finish and paint on the last 2 Rayson Craft Wood decks I have built. He always has a lot of interesting boats. Brian just picked up a Dragon Craft from Pete. The Joe Poty E R R is a great restoration.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Harlan,
Pete told me you were responsible for that beautiful Rayson-Craft's deck. It is truly wonderful, who wouldn't want one!!!??? The Poty is something as well, I've not seen many of those hulls.
I'm also loving the fact that so many people are building up all the great engines that were part of what made each boat unique, but then, I'm admittedly bias towards a traditional classic hot inboard.
I like speed, but to me, a boat's real "soul" is in it's execution, some boats come off to me like an older woman wearing too much jewelry, some look like the owner is trying too hard, while there are those that are simple and charm your socks off.
This probably sounds funny coming from a guy who also loves the Mortician.

harlanorrin
12-16-2008, 11:34 PM
THE MORTICIAN DID IT!!!!!!!!!!
Harlan orrin

harlanorrin
12-17-2008, 12:05 AM
I am looking for a Flat Head Ford engine to use in a clone of the 1950 16' Mandella, Joe built for Rudy Ramos. Rudy used it as a speed ski boat.
I have a 276" 1952 De Soto with Algon Injectors to use in a clone of Red Wilson's 1950 17' Mandella E R R SLIPPER-E E-69. This boat was destroyed at Long Beach, in a flip, in 1955.
I am restoring a 1962 17' glass Sanger. This model was the first glass model built by Sanger Jack Davidson. It will be powered with a 354" Chrysler Industrial Hemi.
My 17' Aqua Caft will get a new wood deck and a 327" Chevrolet with vintage marine engine hardware.
I will soon take my 1955 Joe Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat to be painted in the original colors and design. It will get Oldsmobile turquois and white, like a 1956 Oldsmobile. The engine is a 1955 Oldsmobine with an Edelbrock 3-2s manifold.

pancho
12-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I am looking for a Flat Head Ford engine to use in a clone of the 1950 16' Mandella, Joe built for Rudy Ramos. Rudy used it as a speed ski boat.
I have a 276" 1952 De Soto with Algon Injectors to use in a clone of Red Wilson's 1950 17' Mandella E R R SLIPPER-E E-69. This boat was destroyed at Long Beach, in a flip, in 1955.
I am restoring a 1962 17' glass Sanger. This model was the first glass model built by Sanger Jack Davidson. It will be powered with a 354" Chrysler Industrial Hemi.
My 17' Aqua Caft will get a new wood deck and a 327" Chevrolet with vintage marine engine hardware.
I will soon take my 1955 Joe Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat to be painted in the original colors and design. It will get Oldsmobile turquois and white, like a 1956 Oldsmobile. The engine is a 1955 Oldsmobine with an Edelbrock 3-2s manifold.
Your garage must be a fun place to hang,cool projects and kudos for saving these boats.:thumbsup:

LeadSledMerc
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Harlon,
You've got some fantastic stuff going on there in your garage, every project sounds awesome! Can you share some pics of your projects with us...I'm probably amongst a million others on here that would love to see them...please????:cool:
Thanks, Keith

Spike Morelli
12-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Harlan,
You probably get precious little time to work on your own projects, with all the people who have you do their wood decks for them.
I have to tell you, the Mandella with the '55 Olds is sure a favorite of mine. I forget, aren't the wet logs you have for that, Cal-Marine items?

harlanorrin
12-18-2008, 01:19 AM
My '58-96 wood Mandella has a '58 Oldsmobile with '62 Heads, Nicson manifolds, Casale top loader v-drive with f-n-r.
My 18' '55 Joe Mandella flat bottom speed ski boat, was built for twin props-twin rudders. The engine is a '55 Oldsmobile with Cal Marine manifolds, Moon front cover, Edelbrock 3-2s manifold. The 4 shaft v-drive was built by the original owner Rozzie Barton, as was the hydraulic foot throttle - MARBET.
Harlan Orrin

pancho
12-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Is the hydralic foot pedal rare? i have one on mine and always thought it was easier to hold speed when pulling skiers.

harlanorrin
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Rozzie Barton developed the hydraulic foot throttle and manufactured them in 1955. There were other manufacturers, Glenwood and Nicson.
I have several, and will use in other boats. Rozzie also built the 4 shaft v-drive he used in his twin prop-twin rudder '55 Mandella speed ski boat. The hull restoration-rebuild is complete. It will next go to the painter for a '56 Oldsmobile design paint job in turquois and white, as original. I will power it with a '55 Oldsmobile.
Harlan Orrin

Spike Morelli
12-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Harlan, Pancho,
Interesting that you both have hydraulic throttle assemblies.
I have a Moon/Marbet hydraulic throttle on the Mortician. (It's what was on it originally). Robert Dean at Glenwood told me a few years back, that he had a customer back east that swears by them, and has Robert rebuild his units .
I got mine used, and not functioning. I sent it to Dean at Glenwood Marine, and he put a new length of hose on it, polished it up, filled it with fluid, made new seals for it, and it's on the race boat.
Ray Caselli had a hydraulic throttle on his "Panic Mouse", for as long as I can remember.
Barry McCown (owner/driver of Banzi ) ,told me he didn't have good luck with his, or something he didn't like about it, and used a standard push/pull cable. Barry's raced many types of boats throughout the years, and I'm sure he knows what he wants, and why.
However, I have the standard Morse style Red Jacket cables on my other boats, and they work just fine too.

pancho
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I like mine for low speed in the rough when we used to do vacations my buddy had a 65SK and i used both boats pulling skiers,kneeboarders and wakeboarders and in the rough the cable type was harder to hold a throttle position my foot would bounce up and down. I had to add fluid this last year so i figure its time for some o-rings.

brad_man_72
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
leadsled i noticed your stevens with the nailhead is back on ebay. legit?

Bies
03-26-2009, 08:30 AM
That looks almost Identical to my 58' Beismeyer, mine is a 327 dual quad and V drive

crossram
04-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a 1968 stevens 18 foot silouette flat bottom that my father and I ordered new with no engine. Up until last year it had a 488 inch bored and stroked Chevy 409. Last year the V=drive was stepped up to 21% and a 509 big block Chevy was installed. Hasn't seen the water yet. The 409 now resides in my 55 Chevy. It's been a great boat.

brad_man_72
04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
welcome to the board crossram. sounds like an awesome boat. ps we like pictures!

crossram
04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Here's a couple pictures with the 409.

brad_man_72
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM
beautiful boat, mine has the swallow tail target also. (mines gold where yours is white)
I see your steering wheel is on the right/err wrong side, how many did they make like that?

crossram
04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
The steering wheel came originally on the left side. We (my father and I) changed it as with a sole occupant (driver) it would favor coming down on it's left side when catching a little air. We figured by shifting the drivers weight to the right side it would help to counteract this. It helped. The 409 had a reverse ground camshaft which made the engine rotate opposite than stock. We thought that maybe this reverse torque caused the boat to rotate down to it's left. The wheel has been changed back since the new engine rotates stock direction. I'm pretty much convinced to take the boat all apart. Presently the interior could use a redo, the V-drive is out (it just got new gears that are designed to rotate the opposite way) and the boat could use a fresh coat of paint.

matty astrella
05-09-2009, 05:49 AM
g,day fellas
does anybody know of 7 stevens flatbottom SK,s coming to australia in 1971?
my dad bought a hull off a yanky bloke back then and put the boat together over a twelve month period.very cool boat.we still own it today and its a good runner.
thanks matt.

motoheads
06-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for all of your information on the Stevens Boats. My father in law bought a brand new stevens in 68 he bought a 68 and now we have it. We love it! Our beautiful boat is 41 yrs old and has the original Mercury outboard motor. Little by little we have been restoring the boat. This year we gave the Mercury a good once over. We are planning next year or later this year to have the fiberglass repaired on the bottom. The boat does great but with the bottom messed up you cant leave it in the water overnight you have to shopvac the water out of it. My husband is a stereo freak so people are amazed that the sound coming out of our "old" boat sounds that good. When we are out on the Delta we have out own dance floor on the front of the boat. The boat is in our profile pic. If you have any history on it like a model or type it is I would love to hear about it.

thanks
Bonnie and Dennis

BigE
06-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I have owned three v-drives...Hondo, Cole, and a Howard. There is a club called The Classic V-drive club of America. I bet you can get some history from them. I remember seeing Rudy Ramos who use to build the Rayson Craft circle racers on their annual videos. Check it out. BTW- Nice boat!

rancid1
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
anybody install rear seats facing forward on 18 foot.

spikeike
07-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I own this '58 Stevens Hull #132 bought by my Dad in '67. It has a nailhead buick and 3 holly 2's on an offy intake. Rebuilt and rigged 3 years ago. I think I saw somewhere back in the thread that these boats are making a comeback. Obviously not very practical for a family ski boat, but that's what I grew up with and so are are my kids now. No matter where we go there's no chance that anyone else will have something similar, especially here in Washington state.

Stevens july2106 009.jpg (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175056&stc=1&d=1246480620)

harlanorrin
07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
anybody install rear seats facing forward on 18 foot.
I have done it for years, since the '60s. It depends upon the deck length.
HARLAN ORRIN

ls1velle
07-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Heres a few pics of my 1973 Stevens Flat Bottom and my buddys 1969 Sanger Shovelnose.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3272.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3274.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_2992.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3014.jpg

BIGCHRIS
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Heres a few pics of my 1973 Stevens Flat Bottom and my buddys 1969 Sanger Shovelnose.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3272.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3274.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_2992.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/ls1velle/dcp_3014.jpg
Hows it going,Did i meet you at augusta boat races last year.You were with my cousin Tony Moskow and you or your friend bought his hydro badass chevelle by the way

pancho
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
g,day fellas
does anybody know of 7 stevens flatbottom SK,s coming to australia in 1971?
my dad bought a hull off a yanky bloke back then and put the boat together over a twelve month period.very cool boat.we still own it today and its a good runner.
thanks matt.
There has to be a good story here. Try posting on this site lots of old school racers hang out.
http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

pancho
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I own this '58 Stevens Hull #132 bought by my Dad in '67. It has a nailhead buick and 3 holly 2's on an offy intake. Rebuilt and rigged 3 years ago. I think I saw somewhere back in the thread that these boats are making a comeback. Obviously not very practical for a family ski boat, but that's what I grew up with and so are are my kids now. No matter where we go there's no chance that anyone else will have something similar, especially here in Washington state.

Stevens july2106 009.jpg (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175056&stc=1&d=1246480620)

Nice boat!..........My boat was in Wenatchee for 39 years before i brought it back east, might have crossed paths at some point.

Spike Morelli
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
spikeike,
Your '58 Stevens is way up there on the cool meter.
I'm not sure why you don't think it's a very practical ski boat, 'cause that's exactly what it is....a ski boat.
You said you grew up with it (got it from your Dad), so you must have skiied with it.
However, I understand if you don't want to thrash a family heirloom any more than you have to. It is beautiful.
It appears to have a bench seat in front (seating for three), and I can't tell if there are seats facing rearward by the engine, which would seat two more.
It probably wouldn't be practical if .............you had six kids more than it can hold, and you have to take them ALL every time the boat goes for a ride,..... or if you need a boat that will accomodate both your golden retriever and your two black labs and Herbert the Cockatiel,..... or your wife won't go for a ride without taking her mother along too(don't forget their purses, sun hats, sunscreen kits,etc.),..... or if the boat only has a three gallon gas tank, .....or if you forgot to put a fuel pressure regulator in line to the carbs and the carbs flood over constantly and catch fire and you're tired of recharging your extinguisher and spending an entire weekend cleaning the powder out of your boat,..... or your "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and driving a flatbottom in rough water doesn't work for you ,..... or it's just too hard to hear your favorite "Eminem" CD over the sound of the exhausts,..... or driving with your face into the wind keeps messing with your "comb-over", .....or the only one in the family who knows how to ski is cousin Cindy, and she's so fat that if she falls skiing there's NO WAY she could manage getting back into the boat in deep water........................spikeike,no disrespect intended,forgive me, I'm just having fun here.
Seriously, really a nice boat. Love to see more of it.

Spike Morelli
07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
ls1velle,
Would it be possible for you to post, or PM me, a photo of either the data plate or handwritten number, (whichever your boat has), of your '73 Stevens for my records? Thanks, Spike

harlanorrin
07-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Hello Spike
I look foreward to seeing you and the MORTICIAN at Long Beach. Ken Bewick called. He will have MISS CALIFORNIA at LONG BEACH. Dave Sammons will drive it for the National Anthem.
Ken may bring the newly restored crackerbox hull ORANGE CRATE P-6.
HARLAN ORRIN

Spike Morelli
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Harlan!
Long Beach should be fun, and I live relatively close to the event,(45 minutes away), which makes it even better.
I don't think I've seen Kenny for a few years, I believe at the Drags at Lake Ming in Bakersfield, where Kenny had his circle race hydro doing a few laps for the crowds.
We should all bring our cameras next week (I'd be the first to forget, knowing me....).
Any leads as to finding the "Homewrecker"?

harlanorrin
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
After racing the HOMEWRECKER 99-F as a UGH drag boat for 1 1/2 years undefeated, I sold it in 1967. The new owner raced it unsuccessfully. Uncle Sam invited him to go to V-N. His dad sold the boat around 1970. The buyer was in the LAX area. The buyer, Dan Baumgart, contacted me with no further information. Unfortunatly wood hydroplanes do not last outside.
Harlan Orrin

SnoC653
09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Spike, in your vast collection of Steven's data, would you have any lists of who was racing Stevens in APBA in the mid to late 60s and where they were from? Now that I finally have a shop to work on the boats, I started on my 17' Stevens which is supposed to be a 68. Just trying to see if I can figure out who raced it and what it looked like back in the day. I think the owner would have been from the midwest around Davenport, Iowa.

Spike Morelli
09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
SnoC653,
I can send you what pictures I may have from a Stevens Catalog of the race boats that they included photos of in their catalog, but other than that, I'm afraid I don't have a difinative accounting.
However, quite possibly, there's a historian with the APBA, or SCSC, (Southern California Speedboat Club), that might have a listing in old programs and such that would tell who drove what kind of hull in the races. They may have to go through a whole pile of programs.
I've always said, that restoring an old hot inboard is like an archieological dig ,trying to piece together the history of something's former glory to get a clear picture of what it is you've got.
Racing in Iowa.....hmmmm

SnoC653
09-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks, That would be great. I'm going to go through the old Propeller Magazines my dad has saved in the garage next time I go home. If I can't figure out what it was, I'll just build it back to how it should have been mechanically and then just paint it something that would have been period correct. I asked this question over on the performance boats site and the answers range from nobody knows to it's not even a Stevens. Here are a couple pics of it as it sat when I bought it. I was thinking it was a 17' Silhouette but the boat came with the bulkhead that goes behind the front seat. The guy I bought it from removed it (or so he said) but, had it in the pile of parts for the boat still. He also was the one that built the ugly boxes for the seats to sit on (which i've already removed) and painted the boat that ugly green.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=659&pictureid=4693
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=659&pictureid=4692

Spike Morelli
09-14-2009, 12:46 PM
SnoC653,
I believe your hull may be a "17' SK Skiier" model, by the looks of your photos. The "Silhouette" model is a bit lower in profile, and the SK Skiier has a more angular line at the transom, where the sides curve up to the deck, like yours.
It appears that your hull was equipped with an adjustable cav plate (nice option), and that the engines exhausts went over the transom. Since your hull has obviously been painted, check the inside of the hull to see if the exhaust port holes were possibly filled before painting, or if the hull came with out exhaust trumpet holes. Most purpose built race boats would probably not have through-hull exhausts, although I have lots of photos of guys who did, so read into that what you will.
The earlier Stevens boats didn't have a data plate, or hull numbers molded into the hull. When a Stevens hull was being laid up in the mold, a worker hand wrote a hull number with a marks-a-lot on the plywood panel on the transom, inside the boat, upside-down, somewhere near the center of the panel. The panel then was 'glassed in, right over the number, and can be clearly seen through the resin.
I don't have a factory accounting of who bought what, or how it was equipped, or when by hull number. That info may only have been something Mack and Mary themselves could have kept.
Did you get the die cast "Stevens "emblems that go on the gunwales, with the boat?
Here are two pages from the catalog. One is the SK-Skiier, the other is a Silhouette. Sharp eyes can see the rounded transom on the Silhouette verses the more angular SK-Skiier's transom.

SnoC653
09-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Spike thanks. I have looked at the inside rear of the transom and can find no evidence of thru transom exhaust. I do know that the motor mounts were moved forward a good distance from the stock location. The original holes were plugged and filled but are still visible so I'd say it came rigged with over transom exhaust. I'll make it a point to sand the paint off the inside of the transom next and see if I can locate the numbers. This boat was originally titled as a 68 and with the adjustable plates I would think that was close. Of course I think most of the 60s boats looked basicly the same. From bow to the edge of the plates does measure exactly 17' 2" and it does have a the high freeboard. I've seen the Stevens boats with and without that lip around the back of the cockpit area but noticed neither ad you posted showed that feature. Was that an option or a year specific thing?

Spike Morelli
09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
SnoC653,
You're right, I don't see the lip in the catalog photos either. Hmmmmm, interesting.
As far as taking the paint off of the hull, I've done it a number of ways, but try going to a shop that specializes in Corvette repair. They have a special paint stripper that won't eat up the fibreglass. I've tried scraping, sanding, stripping, etc. It's all a big job, but crank up some music and grab a cold beverage and attack! Painted over metalflake hulls are common, as are painted over wood decks, it is the least expensive way to refinish a hull ,and, unfortunately, many striking factory finishes and decks ended up covered with a cheap paint job. Sometimes you can even find traces of old registration numbers or the boat's name painted under the last re-paint.
My 18' Silhouette, (that I am restoring as factory), had an "X"-rated name and cartoon painted on the deck. Obviously, that had to go. Probably some young single guy previously owned my boat! That may have impressed his buddies, but isn't too cool when you have a wife and kids.
If I may offer an additional thought, you can save re-doing the trailer for last if you like. This way, as you sand, strip, fibreglass etc, the hull, you don't have to worry too much about what it's doing to the trailer.When you re-paint the hull, you can take the trailer, (I assume the hull is on sawhorses at this point when you're having it painted), to a sandblaster, fix any bad welds or bent metal, and have the trailer primed and painted (or powdercoated). Make some new wood runners (bunks), use marine carpeting, stainless staples, and set your baby back down on a solid and proper trailer. Boats spend most of their lifes on their trailers.

Spike Morelli
09-14-2009, 11:03 PM
SnoC653,
Here is a photo of the rear of a '63 Stevens SK Skiier, 'glass deck model after paint stripping. There doesn't appear to be any lip around the rear gunwale here either . Does your title say Stevens?

SnoC653
09-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Mine doesn't have a title. It just has a bill of sale. He said it was titled as a 68 Stevens when he bought it but doesn't know where the title is and the state told him they couldn't find a record of it as it was 30 yrs ago. I also notice the dash is straight across the bottom where both Stevens pictures show a swoop at the bottom. Hmmmmm.... maybe it wasn't a Stevens... any thoughts on what it could be? It sure has Stevens lines everywhere else.

brad_man_72
09-15-2009, 06:13 PM
the dash in my 66 18' silouette has a very slight curve.
on a side note i took the truck and boat to the all truck nationals in kc and the editor of CLASSIC CUSTOM TRUCKS made up the "best work(in) truck" for me. im pretty excited as neither my truck or boat are show vehicles. truck is a 67 c-10 with a 2001 gmc 5.3, 4l60e and plenty of other goodies, and is my only source of land transportation.

SnoC653
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok, I'm sure it is a Stevens as Stevens did have that type rail. Notice the top left and the 2nd from top left on this ad Spike posted before. All show the lip. The dash could have been modified or just the style of the year.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=149866&d=1214784598

Spike Morelli
09-15-2009, 10:29 PM
SnoC653,
The make doesn't really matter I don't think, what matters is that you dig it and you have fun with your hot inboard. It would be cool to have a gallery of every hot flatbottom and hydro make that was available back in the sixties....there were so many. Sitting on the dock at the Thunderbird Lodge on the river(Parker, in the sixties), it seems I saw most all at one time or another. I have a favorite reoccuring dream where they're all back again.
The girls are a blur, but I remember the boats...I'm starting to drool....

Spike Morelli
09-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Just thought I'd share this with you......It's my old Hallett circle boat,I restored, originally powered by a 427 Ford Medium riser.
If you look close at the photo underway, you can see the reflection in the belhousing of my brother driving while I am turned around in the passenger seat taking the picture( well, It's not real easy to make out unless you blow it up)

SnoC653
09-28-2009, 12:46 AM
That's a nice job you did on the old racer. I'm sure mine is a Stevens now. Someone posted a pic of a 71 on the other site and it had the exact same lip around the back and the flat bottom to the dash. I'm sure it's probably a small thing they changed to make the boats look different, or an option they added if the purchaser asked for it. In any case, the boat is going back together the way it ran back in the day. 427 Chevy, mid deck, and no back seats. The only thing I'm changing is is the strut will be steel instead of bronze (still will be a 7*) and I'm going to add a foot over ride for the cav plates. And if I can find one for the old top loader, I'll add a whirl-away. It will be more of a remember the good ol days boat, rather than a serious race boat. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

chevy60
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Found this site looks great.My brothers has had 66 stevens silouett for about 25 years now,runs small block chevy try to post a picture. fun boat

Spike Morelli
10-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Chevy60,
It looks like your brother has a 17' Silhouette. Those hulls were real popular not only as ski boats, but did well as SK racers. It always does my heart good to see another one that has survived the years, and one whose owner(s) have resisted painting over the factory metalflake and target design. Right on!

chevy60
10-20-2009, 12:05 PM
We actually race in the northwest, about six to eight races ,but made the trip to Burley Id. for their big APBA meet on the snake river under nostalgia flats. was a great trip. Wish we could afford to race down South.

SS-201
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
My first race boat 1931 Chris - Craft I still own it , powered by 460 ford.
runs in the Conway chain of lakes in Orlando,Fl. It was a F- Service, runabout APBA, 1956 to 1966.

Bies
10-21-2009, 08:10 AM
That is to cool, is it a Sportsman?