PDA

View Full Version : satellite radio antenna mounting...

rocket1
12-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Winter project is to put the xm in the allison grandsport. Any ideas about how and where to mount the antenna. I was thinking about using the standard small flat antenna, or are there other antenna's I should look into. Let me know what has worked for you. Thanks. Greg

150aintenuff
12-08-2005, 04:42 PM
the Antena should come with some velcro and or double sided tape.. any mount that can get sky from all angles will work well.. and if ya have any metal surfaces flat enough you could use the magnet built in to the antena to secure it.. the standard antenna works fine IMO but there are more permanant ones out there but the look isnt auefull and they are hidable if planned out right so the stocker should be fine..

JJB
12-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Rocket I used the xm antennae that came with the unit and mounted it on the console with no obstrction of the antennae to the sky. Never had any problem with signal.

photo is of console............the xm antennae is on the far right side just out of view but is mounted just like the black gps antennae on the left.

JJB

rocket1
12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the idea's. I was thinking about making a plate to fit on the back of the boat where the hoses hook up to the motor...then use the magnetic mount...but I never though of using the dash, I will have to check my boat for mounting up front. I know to check signal before making it permanent!!!! Do not want to have a oops!!!! Thanks Greg.

tj309
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I mounted my chartplotter antenna under the bow so as not to ruin the sleek lines of the boat. Works great so if I can get GPS satellites that way you should get sattelite radio in the same way.

rocket1
12-23-2005, 08:54 PM
yes, gps can be mounted under the bow etc. of most boats. The xm radio mount must be clear to the sky with no obstructions. I am thinking of making a metal plate to adhere where the hoses come out and go to the outboard. The allison has a plastic piece for routing the hoses to the motor. I will make one out of metal and extend it back about 4 inches to get a clear view of the sky, and still run the hoses underneath it. I do not know if I can find another area for the xm mount, but I do know this check the signal on the xm before mounting!!!! Now I understand a gps can be mounted on the steering rack with tie wraps and it should work fine.

tj309
12-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Why would signals from sattleites be any different for a chartplotter or XM radio?

rob vaughn
12-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but, we do like this one!!!

Got it & the XM system of ebay!!!

rocket1
12-26-2005, 09:28 PM
My understanding of the xm is with the home antenna it needs to be facing the south, with a unobstructed view. I have the house antenna inside on the window ledge facing south and it works just fine. I know in my truck using the standard antenna going under a bridge somtimes I loose signal, but the box of the truck also would be blocking the signal also. Taking the truck for fuel and parking under a awning results in loss of signal also. I have no ides why it is different than gps, could be placement and rotations of satillites. Thanks for the pic rob, looks like it has good all arouond for the signal to receive. I may go with something like that antenna. I know they manufacture marine antenna's and others. If the standard antenna they give you in the car kit does not work well....I will have to upgrade.