PDA

View Full Version : Trim question

richierich
05-22-2001, 02:51 PM
My friend has a 150 xr2 and when he trys to trim it up it only goes up so far than stops. It he takes it out of gear it will trim up,but as soon as he puts it in gear it goes down to the same spot as before. Is there a switch that can be adjusted to get more trim out of it?

KeninSC
05-22-2001, 03:11 PM
The XR2 has a trim ram system that only allows the motor to travel 20 Degrees under load (IE: in gear). You are correct that engine will come back down to the 20 degree limit as you engage forward gear. If you need more trim than the 20 Degrees the system allows to get the bow to come up, more setback is probably in order for your rig.

05-22-2001, 04:38 PM
Who needs that much trim?!?!? He's right, MORE setback. I've got an XR2 on my other rig, cool motor!

richierich
05-22-2001, 06:01 PM
It's already got a negative angle built into the transom and when it's trimmed up its not much. Guess we'll try some wedges to get it at a better angle.

WillyT
05-23-2001, 09:53 AM
Not to get too technical, but I guess anything beyond the 20 degrees is called tilt, not trim. If it is like my engine, the speed of the angle change should get faster after you reach 20 degrees (i.e., it picks up speed in the tilt mode versus the trim mode). In any case, does it appear that you are getting the full 20 degrees? The engine is designed to stay within the "metal wings/extensions" on either side of the transom bracket while in the trim mode. The engine should not be operated at speed with the engine beyond those extensions (even if you could make the trim go that far and stay there under power). Like the other post implied, if you need more than 20 degrees trim, you need more setback (unless the boat's transom angle is the most extreme in the industry; what kind of boat is it?) Some people (like me) use transom wedges to give them MORE transom angle/MORE trim-IN for better hole shot. Very few, if any, need more out-trim capability if the setback is adequate. Running at such extreme out-angles implies that the gearcase is probably running at an exagerated downward angle at speed. This is always inefficient since you want your gearcase (and prop shaft) to be as close to parallel with the water's surface as possible at top speed. More setback will help the engine to hold the bow up, and therefore, allow the prop to concentrate on moving the boat forward in the most efficient manner.

richierich
05-23-2001, 11:22 AM
Thanks Willy . I get it now. We'll start looking for a jack plate. It's a Stratos vt Rocket. It beats the heck out of you while underway. Seems that no matter were the trim is ,it won't raise the bow.

Liqui-Fly
05-23-2001, 01:18 PM
I couldn't get any bow lift with mine either. I now have 10" of setback and have made a few other modification but I haven't been out this year yet. What kind of shape is the boat in. The hulls are packet with foam and once they get waterlogged it is over.....digging out the foam may be one of the worst experiences in my life and I've been through gas chambers. LF

Gerben
05-23-2001, 05:01 PM
Why dig out the foam?

chuck in a bit of acetone and take the trailer for a bumpy ride. should take out all the foam?

It might actually work.

Greetings,
Gerben