PDA

View Full Version : Dual opposed cable steering. New setup~

1BadAction
11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
this uses 7/16 fine thread grade 8 coated bolts on the arm itself and rod ends. the front then uses 2 5/16 fine thread grade 8 coated bolts that attach into the tapped holes in the front of the steel Heavy duty steering arm. the rod ends are ALL SS, each end is good for 5,000lbs pull out vertical, and 7,500lbs pull out in the horizontal (the way the pressure is on them). now the weak spot is where the steering rods attach to the cables. all in all I think this should hold the motor straight nicely. the single rod end seemed to work ok by itself on the test run :eek:

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/2839/im0013840ve.jpg

1BadAction
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
everything is single shear, but still about 3x the strength of the single bolt. I wanted to do double shear, but there isnt quite enough room, and also would require a Billet custom sized channel.

Corona Mike
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Are you making these Jim? The set-up you get from Allison is like that. I bought one from a S&F member who told me it was the "heavy duty" set-up, it had already been broken in one corner and re-welded with a gusset placed in it for strength--yea rite!--Needless to say, I didn't use it even on the set-up for my nephews 75 Mariner. Let me know if you are going to build those and a price. Thanks Mike T.

1BadAction
11-11-2005, 10:47 PM
mike, what was the one made out of that broke??

Corona Mike
11-12-2005, 04:25 PM
It was made out of 3/8" stainless round stock. I broke that one last year in Alva. it was the 7/16" but it was 17 years old. They break in the corner where arm turnes down to hook up at cable end. The one I got had already been broke, re-welded, and a gusset added. I still threw it away, but the himes joint end bushing was in good shape so I did get something! I would order new from now on. Thats quite a bit neater bracket where it hooks to motor than the T&R piece. Let me know if you decide to build those.

1BadAction
11-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Is there room on the bottom to add a thin piece of steel below where the cables hook. That would take a lot of stress off those two bolts.

nope, there isnt enough room :eek:. Like I had said, it might be single shear still but theres 3X the bolts there than factory

Mike, I'm not sure. If a couple people local want something I might be able to do it. Next time we meet up we can discuss the mounts further. I have those t&r "rod ends" and IMO they are garbage. If you were to feel this setup in person it would be easier to understand. The thing I like about this system is, everywhere that is a stress point has redundancy. 2 Racks/pinions, 2 cables, 2 rod ends, and 2 mounting points to the arm. :cool:

150aintenuff
11-14-2005, 10:27 PM
looks good jim

got some of my parts from rickracers and got the rest of my midsection together and steering hooked up.. nice and tight as expected.. ZERO slack ZERO movement not nearly as nice as that setup however.. but my mid has the old style arm not the nice 2 bolt arm your has... wish my mid was a 89 or newer....... oh well beggers cant be choosers..