PDA

View Full Version : how do you winterize a jetboat

apollo18
11-10-2005, 11:54 PM
What is the correct way to winterize the pump and motor?

150aintenuff
11-11-2005, 03:01 AM
DRAIN ALL THE WATER... remove block drains, drain exhaust header jackets fog engine treat fuel to keep from goin stail.. easiest way to drain pump is to "dry fire" the engine. just dont run it for more than a few seconds.. or f it is already off the water and ready for storage just crank the motor over for 30 sec and that will eliminate the water in the pump housing and bowl..

GREASE anyting that has a grease fitting chage the oil and filter disconnect the battery and elevate the front to allow any water or condensation to drain out if kept outside.. my boat sits outside uncovered all winter and in 16 years have never had a problem

SportJ-US-1
11-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Take it south for the winter. :D

triple dude
11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Npartin's suggestions are exactly what I do with mine. The petcocks on the sides of the block are attached to short pipes about three inches long. Usually, when you just turn the petcock to drain, nothing comes out. It's due to sand buildup. I end up unscrewing the pipe itself and jamming a small screwdriver up in the hole. Stir it around and it'll clear any sand and the water will start flowing. I also pull off the thermostat housing and pour antifreeze in. Then start for just a few seconds to circulate it. Spread the fabric softener sheets around the cabin and under the seats to keep the critters out and it's done.

150aintenuff
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I NEED about 8 days of freezin weather here... EVERYone here is doin the same thing.. waiting to winterize.. if it froze now it would insure a good spring and summer replacing blocks...:D:D:D.... do yourself a favor get it done so you DO NOT have to call me to build an engine..

steve
11-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Don't you have to de-ice the wings and such? Which brand you got Boeing or McDonald Douglas? Hehehe.

SportJ-US-1
11-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Npartin's suggestions are exactly what I do with mine. The petcocks on the sides of the block are attached to short pipes about three inches long. Usually, when you just turn the petcock to drain, nothing comes out. It's due to sand buildup. I end up unscrewing the pipe itself and jamming a small screwdriver up in the hole. Stir it around and it'll clear any sand and the water will start flowing. I also pull off the thermostat housing and pour antifreeze in. Then start for just a few seconds to circulate it. Spread the fabric softener sheets around the cabin and under the seats to keep the critters out and it's done.

You don't put fuel stablizer in the gas tank and run the engine long enough to get it into the carb? Good way to have a carb screwed next spring and a no start on startup.

triple dude
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
You don't put fuel stablizer in the gas tank and run the engine long enough to get it into the carb? Good way to have a carb screwed next spring and a no start on startup.
I did the fuel stabilizer thing the last time I took the boat out (last week). One other item I do. Spray down the chrome wheels, valve covers and trailer winch with WD40.

150aintenuff
11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I drain the carbs so the bowl is dry...

Racemore
11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
If you have too,I would pump antifreeze in the motor so it remains wet to prevent internal oxidation and corrosion.Fog the outside of the motor filming protector.There are several on the market.You can fog the pump with wd-40 with the motor running for 15sec. and pour a little trans fluid in the carb while it's running(coats the valves and intake) then cover the intake and nozzle.Cap the exhaust and intake and you good to go. But,you don't have to do that,you can send it down to me and I'll keep it bathed in warm Florida water.I'll keep the pistons and rods excercised too. :D

triple dude
11-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Who says you're not a team player?? :D I got a deal on inside storage for the winter. A buddy kept telling me about this huge spot he had for his ebay junk, but he was gonna get out because of the expense. I went over and looked at it. It is BIG. Probably 50x22. Drywalled with lighting. He's payin' $180 per month so I'm going in half. Should still be room for one of my vehicles and other "stuff" on my half. Typically in this area, for one of those U Store It places, a single car space is $100 per month.

The Big Al
11-29-2005, 09:44 AM
What is the correct way to winterize the pump and motor?

Very easy!

FOR SALE!!!!!!